FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > House smells

House smells

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *astello OP   Woman 3 weeks ago

Tír na nÓg

Does every house have its own distinct smell.. Ive been away all weekend in a friend's house and it made me realise that different houses have different smells. Of course besides the obvious, smokers, pet owners etc.

But its an innate thing or lm more sensitive than others.. But can different smells evoke different reasons... Nostalgia, comfort, fear, happiness. Whats your house smell... Or am l just wierd...

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ockhard Man 6969Man 3 weeks ago

Dungarvan

I'd imagine every house does. I've a dog, so clean as much as I do, you'd know at the doorstep that I'd have a dog.

Except on Sundays, that's Guinness Farts ??

Tír na nÓg

"I'd imagine every house does. I've a dog, so clean as much as I do, you'd know at the doorstep that I'd have a dog.

Except on Sundays, that's Guinness Farts ??"

Dog and Guinness farts.... Do you supply the air freshner..

Tbh its more subtle than that.

By *oodOmensfor2Couple 3 weeks ago

Ennis

I don't know if our house has a distinctive smell but I've certainly come across it in other houses. Some are have a pleasant and welcoming smell but you wouldn't be able say what exactly they smell like

Tír na nÓg

Yes the smell can be quite indistinct. But also quite distinct based on different households.

By *mughh69Man 3 weeks ago

march

Most houses do. Sometimes depends on culture. Spices when cooking get absorbed into the wood leaving a smell. Then like you say dogs,aftershaves or airfresheners leave a smell too.

By *inkywife1981Couple 3 weeks ago

A town near you

I remember reading somewhere that estate agents would advice people to bake or brew fresh coffee in the house before a viewing as those smells would give a homely aroma and stir some subconscious feeling of being at home

march

The smell of freshly baked would get me. Be a killer it you burnt the buns though lol

By *ubberNumbersCouple 3 weeks ago

dublin

I used to be very aware of this when I was younger but not at all now.

By *ikey2022EireMan 3 weeks ago

Clare

Definitely a thing

march

Still thinking of walking in to the smell of freshly baked cake lol

By *eard and BoobsCouple 3 weeks ago

Portstewart

My grandparents house always smelled of fresh baking

By *unnerbenMan 3 weeks ago

Dublin

With my job I’m in and out of peoples houses all the time, and you’d wonder how some people could actually live in some of the houses with the disgusting stenches . They must just be desensitised to it and just don’t care .

By *ountryLad321Man 3 weeks ago

Dublin

Definitely a thing. And if someone leaves a jumper at your house you can nearly know who owns it by the smell.. I know I sound like a bloodhound but it has happened lol

By *entlemanjack2Man 3 weeks ago

Midlands

Smells/scents are down to lots of different reasons:

Age and construction of property.

Nationality- different food/spice choices, aromas etc.

Lighting, heating and ventilation.

Dampness levels. - fungus or mould growth.

Materials used - plastics, especially the glue/adhesive, cleaning and polishing materials, carcinogens. Chemicals, silicone, Teflon coatings.

Garden and hedgerows materials- evergreens stink n riddled with spiders and cause lack of light and dampness to a property creating more scents and problems.

Sewerage - old clay pipes crack n if under a property scents can rise underneath.

Underground- water sources.

Soil and subsoil type.

Contamination of the site from its former use.

Vegetation- rushes and flaggers have dusty smells.

Surrounding areas -factories, substations, power stations, livestock and farmyard potpourri lol. Slaughterhouses, pig farms & cheese factories are wickedly potent.

Flooding and nearby unmaintained water courses.

Furniture and furnishings. Wax coated materials- would drop a skunk at 500 yards ha.

Attitudes and hygiene play a huge role in maintenance. Light, heat, (heat source) ,insulation, damp proofing, ample ventilation also play a critical role.

Etc etc etc.

Inviting scents would be fresh air, baked goods, bread buns and cookies, coffee, aftershave, perfume, scented candles temporarily ( they put black all over ceilings). Deep clean by professionals. Washed pets and husbands

il stop as your probably asleep at this stage reading this novel lol.

By *sded26Man 3 weeks ago

naas

Every house smells exactly the same to me, as I've a brutal sense of smell

By *BT4KICKSWoman 3 weeks ago

Cork

I have a terrible sense of smell but yes every house has its own one. I think a lot of people now have so many air fresheners and candles ect it's not as personal per house but definitely still there. I loved my nans house smell and my aunties it brings back so many memories of fun times as kids.

By *reenfrogoMan 3 weeks ago

nearby

Yeah i have noticed that but hard to nail down what it would be. As a kid I noticed it a lot on clothes, as in you would know what friends owned a jumper or jacket by the smell, as i guess its an extension of the house smell.

Tír na nÓg

"Smells/scents are down to lots of different reasons:

Materials used - plastics, especially the glue/adhesive, cleaning and polishing materials, carcinogens. Chemicals, silicone, Teflon coatings.

Garden and hedgerows materials- evergreens stink n riddled with spiders and cause lack of light and dampness to a property creating more scents and problems.

Sewerage - old clay pipes crack n if under a property scents can rise underneath.

Soil and subsoil type.

Surrounding areas -factories, substations, power stations, livestock and farmyard potpourri lol. Slaughterhouses, pig farms & cheese factories are wickedly potent.

Furniture and furnishings. Wax coated materials- would drop a skunk at 500 yards ha.

Attitudes and hygiene play a huge role in maintenance. Light, heat, (heat source) ,insulation, damp proofing, ample ventilation also play a critical role.

Etc etc etc.

Inviting scents would be fresh air, baked goods, bread buns and cookies, coffee, aftershave, perfume, scented candles temporarily ( they put black all over ceilings). Deep clean by professionals. Washed pets and husbands

il stop as your probably asleep at this stage reading this novel lol. "

Most definitely a definitive answer. A combination of all I'm sure. Perhaps that the thing thats hard to identify, its not one distinct smell but the complexity of many.

Tír na nÓg

"Yeah i have noticed that but hard to nail down what it would be. As a kid I noticed it a lot on clothes, as in you would know what friends owned a jumper or jacket by the smell, as i guess its an extension of the house smell."

Good point.. I can always identify whose clothes belong to which friends of my sons by their smell... Perhaps its also the nature connection of knowing your own biology too..

Tír na nÓg

"I have a terrible sense of smell but yes every house has its own one. I think a lot of people now have so many air fresheners and candles ect it's not as personal per house but definitely still there. I loved my nans house smell and my aunties it brings back so many memories of fun times as kids. "

Isnt that wonder of the senses that smells evoke different memories.

By *eys00Man 3 weeks ago

have boots will travel

Smell memory is a huge thing for me, I have always associated certain smells with a particular place or time or person. I do think every house develops its own unique scent over time, because of everything that happens in it and the habits of the occupants. It can be very evocative!

By *rprotonMan 3 weeks ago

Dublin

"Does every house have its own distinct smell.. Ive been away all weekend in a friend's house and it made me realise that different houses have different smells. Of course besides the obvious, smokers, pet owners etc.

But its an innate thing or lm more sensitive than others.. But can different smells evoke different reasons... Nostalgia, comfort, fear, happiness. Whats your house smell... Or am l just wierd...

"

Nope not weird at all. And yes, certain places definitely evoke different feelings, memories, emotions

By *reenfrogoMan 3 weeks ago

nearby

"Yeah i have noticed that but hard to nail down what it would be. As a kid I noticed it a lot on clothes, as in you would know what friends owned a jumper or jacket by the smell, as i guess its an extension of the house smell.

Good point.. I can always identify whose clothes belong to which friends of my sons by their smell... Perhaps its also the nature connection of knowing your own biology too.. "

Its something i don’t notice as much as i have gotten older. Maybe our sense of smell diminishes or maybe i dont be sniffing my friends clothes as much as an adult

By *entlemanjack2Man 3 weeks ago

Midlands

"Smells/scents are down to lots of different reasons:

Soil and subsoil type.

Etc etc etc.

il stop as your probably asleep at this stage reading this novel lol.

Most definitely a definitive answer. A combination of all I'm sure. Perhaps that the thing thats hard to identify, its not one distinct smell but the complexity of many.

"

True. Could be 101 things.

» Add a new message to this topic