FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Misogyny

Misogyny

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *astello OP   Woman 4 weeks ago

Tír na nÓg

Does it still exist and have you experienced it.

I had this experience this week by 2 retired gentlemen in their 70s in a formal work situation which got me thinking.

Does it ever go away?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *osyRedLipsWoman 4 weeks ago

Kildare

Last few jobs I've worked have been in male dominating industries. I'd be the only female in the business. So definitely still around. I'd get the good girl make us all a cup of tea comments. It's the incessant mansplaining that drove me nuts! I know work in a more female oriented company and so much happier we make our own tea

By *chochamberWoman 4 weeks ago

New York, Shannon

Someone called me a whore in my workplace because I complimented a senior person in a very genuine and neutral way.

I experience it every day, but I m probably hyper alert to it, as I have a load of sexist people in my family.

By *og-ManMan 4 weeks ago

somewhere

Yes I think it will eventually

I have about 200 young people in their 20's working with me who are generally more respectful towards others than the older generation that I'm part of.

Ive actually noticed it previously with them and I know my kids are the same

By *ameofmeMan 4 weeks ago

somewhere in

Unfortunately there will always be assholes….and they have kids and pass on their values and prejudices.

Sadly lots of young men being exposed to that gobshite tate and his misogynistic ideas, in an age where watching one video is enough context/content to form an ‘opinion’ and ‘ideology’, means there’s a whole new generation bringing back some very outdated ideas.

By *ustBoWoman 4 weeks ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

I would think that yes it does exist the same as misandry exists as well. People can and will be assholes at times.

In saying that I worked in a very male dominated industry for 30 years and no I didn't come across it very often and the odd time I did I let my work speak for itself and just ignored the ignorance.They soon quietened down when they realised I was just as good as any other person there regardless of gender.

By *enmuserWoman 4 weeks ago

Dublin

I would say that misogyny definitely still exists but thankfully is on the decline.

I work in finance/revenue for a private company, and while our owners/company partners are all male - the directors, senior management, middle management are majority female; the ratio is probably 65/35 to females.

I do not experience misogyny professionally or privately thank god anymore BUT I did for a long, long time when I was a kid fresh out of college working in bars/restaurants as a server for close to a decade. I know that that industry is tough regardless, but there is blatant misogyny involved in the hospitality industry.

Countless occasions as a supervisor and eventually a manager, I dealt with guest complaints - a lot of them would ask if there was someone more senior than me that they'd like to talk to instead. If someone is complaining, yes that is a natural thing to expect.

When my male senior counterparts would appear, the entire demeanor of the guest complaining would change. They would go from snide, rude and ill tempered - to calm, respectful and direct with a male colleague.

It was so bad at times, I pretended that a junior male bartender was my senior so that the situation was de-escalated.

There are a lot of asshole guests in hospitality, I think it goes without saying, but out-and-out I think that there seems to be some sort of unwritten rule that women in that industry don't need to be respected, and that there are always male leaders about them that the guest would rather talk to.

By *eys00Man 4 weeks ago

have boots will travel

I was very tempted to sarcastically mansplain misogyny here but I don't think the sarcasm would have come across over text and well...it would not have gone down well if not

By *oshSardineMan 4 weeks ago

The High Chaparral

The most insidious aspects of misogyny is its normalisation within culture and society. From casual sexism to the objectification of women in media. Misogynistic attitudes are often dismissed or downplayed contributing to a culture where violence against women is normalised and excused. This devaluation manifests in everyday interactions such as workplace dynamics, media portrayals and even in legal and political systems where you find women are often marginalised, silenced and subjected to unequal treatment. I feel the UK is probably far worse than we are here in Ireland however I believe if you count the population and size of both countries, we’re probably not far off it.

In my opinion anyway

By *adger BrocMan 4 weeks ago

Co. Cork

I have workef with and for women all my life and I often found them to be better colleagues or bosses than a lot of macho males.

But I have probably experienced more anti-male sentiment by women on here than I ever came across in real life.

Misandry is alive and thriving on fab.

Ignorance or arrogance is not gender specific in my opinion.

Dublin

"I was very tempted to sarcastically mansplain misogyny here but I don't think the sarcasm would have come across over text and well...it would not have gone down well if not "

Your instincts might be right on that

Dublin

[Removed by poster at 12/04/24 17:13:28]

Dublin

"I have workef with and for women all my life and I often found them to be better colleagues or bosses than a lot of macho males.

But I have probably experienced more anti-male sentiment by women on here than I ever came across in real life.

"

I actually fully agree. I have definitely seen misandry first hand more recently.

I could start on about female v female prejudice but that's a whole other topic

By *adger BrocMan 4 weeks ago

Co. Cork

"Does it still exist and have you experienced it.

I had this experience this week by 2 retired gentlemen in their 70s in a formal work situation which got me thinking.

Does it ever go away? "

Hopefully not all older gentlemen disrespect women.

Tír na nÓg

"Last few jobs I've worked have been in male dominating industries. I'd be the only female in the business. So definitely still around. I'd get the good girl make us all a cup of tea comments. It's the incessant mansplaining that drove me nuts! I know work in a more female oriented company and so much happier we make our own tea "

Most definitely we make tea better too..... Not a gender specific statement but fact..

Tír na nÓg

"Someone called me a whore in my workplace because I complimented a senior person in a very genuine and neutral way.

I experience it every day, but I m probably hyper alert to it, as I have a load of sexist people in my family. "

Thats a disgusting thing to say to someone based on a comment... People like to infer based on their own mad notions.

Tír na nÓg

"Yes I think it will eventually

I have about 200 young people in their 20's working with me who are generally more respectful towards others than the older generation that I'm part of.

Ive actually noticed it previously with them and I know my kids are the same

"

I am hoping that the new generation will respect the equality of genders and understand that we deserve equal pay and respect.

Tír na nÓg

"Unfortunately there will always be assholes….and they have kids and pass on their values and prejudices.

Sadly lots of young men being exposed to that gobshite tate and his misogynistic ideas, in an age where watching one video is enough context/content to form an ‘opinion’ and ‘ideology’, means there’s a whole new generation bringing back some very outdated ideas. "

Most definitely upbringing has a huge role to play.

Tír na nÓg

"I would think that yes it does exist the same as misandry exists as well. People can and will be assholes at times.

In saying that I worked in a very male dominated industry for 30 years and no I didn't come across it very often and the odd time I did I let my work speak for itself and just ignored the ignorance.They soon quietened down when they realised I was just as good as any other person there regardless of gender. "

Having to prove yourself is the key issue.. Why do we have to based on our gender.

Tír na nÓg

"The most insidious aspects of misogyny is its normalisation within culture and society. From casual sexism to the objectification of women in media. Misogynistic attitudes are often dismissed or downplayed contributing to a culture where violence against women is normalised and excused. This devaluation manifests in everyday interactions such as workplace dynamics, media portrayals and even in legal and political systems where you find women are often marginalised, silenced and subjected to unequal treatment. I feel the UK is probably far worse than we are here in Ireland however I believe if you count the population and size of both countries, we’re probably not far off it.

In my opinion anyway "

Having experienced this for a lot of my career. The proverbial glass ceiling to discovering less qualified or experienced colleagues getting paid more than me. Its hugely disheartening.

This weeks experience compounded that. I felt like if l was a pretty nubile 20 year old, l would flatter their egos but an middle aged women with 30 years experience was challenging to their sense of male entitlement.

By *runchMan 4 weeks ago

Dublin

Misandry should be part of the conversation too. It does exist!

By *rAndMrsRightCouple 4 weeks ago

newtownabbey

I've experienced it in many workplaces, especially since I've climbed to management level.

Used to even have a boss who would order all female managers around, call them derogatory names and degrade them in front of staff while male managers used to get a handshake and a pat on the back for doing very little (not saying men don't work hard, what I'm saying in those particular scenarios those particular men were hardly working).

Also as a foreign person who's a female as well as being young- every single workplace that I've been at - I had to work twice as hard to "prove myself" while I watched how older men with less experience in my field were getting hired to be my seniors. I had to train those men to do their jobs

When I stepped into a different industry - my job was in another male dominated industry. I got comments from customers like "oh, it's a man's job", "did they run out of men?" and similar all the time there too.

For a while I dabbled with making decorative parts with Scania trucks. Couldn't sell them tho... anyone who rang me to ask about them - hung up once they heard my voice. I know that as I asked my male colleague to ring someone back one day as for a while I thought they were prank calls.

Person who answered said he thought he got the number wrong. In the end we just put my male colleagues number down on the ad.

I could tell countless stories upon stories how many times I've been in similar situations.

Will it ever go away? I hope so, but genuinely don't think so.

Missus

By *ustBoWoman 4 weeks ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

"I would think that yes it does exist the same as misandry exists as well. People can and will be assholes at times.

In saying that I worked in a very male dominated industry for 30 years and no I didn't come across it very often and the odd time I did I let my work speak for itself and just ignored the ignorance.They soon quietened down when they realised I was just as good as any other person there regardless of gender.

Having to prove yourself is the key issue.. Why do we have to based on our gender.

"

I never felt I had to prove anything I just did my job. I have never felt I was worth less because I am a woman or that I need to prove anything to anyone.

If someone carried on being a twat I would have a conversation with them about their attitude.

By *ofusplusCouple 4 weeks ago

Limerick

I havent Googled it but I think it's based on a fear of women through not having grown up with sisters, or having gone to all-boys schools and/or working in a male dominated environment. They don't know how to communicate with us so they just deride us!

New York, Shannon

They are brain washed.... It's all down to the patriarchy... We are all living under the umbrella of the patriarchy and every now and then someone pokes a hole through it. The people who benefit from the patriarchy don't like that and try to slap down the people that challenge it.

I ve had male managers say to me they would "pimp me out". Defenders of the patriarchy don't like to be emasculated, they prefer handmaidens that fawn to them rather than anyone that calls out their entitled BS.

FUCK THE PATRIARCHY.... YAY.

By *aseylee324Couple 4 weeks ago

Valley of Squinting Windows

In saying that I worked in a very male dominated industry for 30 years and no I didn't come across it very often and the odd time I did I let my work speak for itself and just ignored the ignorance.They soon quietened down when they realised I was just as good as any other person there regardless of gender. "

That's been my experience also.

By *erekNMan 4 weeks ago

Leixslip

Misandry.....this site

By *runchMan 4 weeks ago

Dublin

"I have workef with and for women all my life and I often found them to be better colleagues or bosses than a lot of macho males.

I actually fully agree. I have definitely seen misandry first hand more recently.

I could start on about female v female prejudice but that's a whole other topic "

Kudos to you for acknowledging this fact. It would kill most on here to do the same

By *oxyvixen99Woman 4 weeks ago

Newtownabbey

I work with lots of men and have never experienced any form of misogyny at work, I find on the other hand that women are more likely to be an issue

By *itlbeeCouple 4 weeks ago

Ireland

Still plenty of it going around.

Mostly you'll notocenth many little ways men wants you to assume subordinate, obedient role to them.

It's visible in the many little double standards some men have. The ones who have expect to always be right, never challenged, always catered to, in a way they wouldn't do for women.

It's also evident in the way people outside the swinging scene talk about the idea of sharing their female partners. So many men are openly disgusted by the idea of women enjoying casual sex, while seeking it out for themselves.

By *ay_Gatsby_D4Man 4 weeks ago

Belfast, Dublin

"I havent Googled it but I think it's based on a fear of women through not having grown up with sisters, or having gone to all-boys schools and/or working in a male dominated environment. They don't know how to communicate with us so they just deride us!"

Def an element of that

Fellas privately educated at all boys schools are dire

By *3nsesMan 4 weeks ago

Dublin

It definitely still exists. On a daily basis, I go out of my way to make sure it does.

Tír na nÓg

"It definitely still exists. On a daily basis, I go out of my way to make sure it does. "

The award goes to... Careful dont prick yourself on the edges of your allocade.

By *3nsesMan 4 weeks ago

Dublin

"It definitely still exists. On a daily basis, I go out of my way to make sure it does.

The award goes to... Careful dont prick yourself on the edges of your allocade. "

Thank you, thank you. I'd also like to take this opportunity to to thank myself for being amazing too.

By *ikey2022EireMan 4 weeks ago

Clare

"Someone called me a whore in my workplace because I complimented a senior person in a very genuine and neutral way.

I experience it every day, but I m probably hyper alert to it, as I have a load of sexist people in my family. "

Someone in your workplace called you a whore, was this to your face. Surely you reported that to your HR team?

New York, Shannon

I experience it every day, but I m probably hyper alert to it, as I have a load of sexist people in my family.

Someone in your workplace called you a whore, was this to your face. Surely you reported that to your HR team?"

It was by someone leaving the company, didn't care was on the way out, was in front of senior management, I was only in the job around 3 weeks, thought it best to let it go.

By *amsevenMan 4 weeks ago

cork

Someone in your workplace called you a whore, was this to your face. Surely you reported that to your HR team?

It was by someone leaving the company, didn't care was on the way out, was in front of senior management, I was only in the job around 3 weeks, thought it best to let it go. "

A touch of the green eyed monster perhaps?

By *ealitybitesMan 4 weeks ago

Belfast

I have been involved in a couple of disciplinary issues involving comments and actions by male members of staff directed at female colleagues.

Apart from those incidents and one other on a staff night out I've never witnessed any form of misogyny in the workplace.

I don't have any friends or family who could ever be accused of it either.

I've no doubt it happens but all of my daughters have worked in hospitality at various stages and 2 of them still do.

Whenever the subject comes up about management and working conditions they can only point at one inappropriate incident with a male manager that could be classed as misogynistic.

Every other issue they have had in regards to how they have been spoken to or belittled or overlooked for promotion in favour of less qualified male colleagues has involved other women.

By *rprotonMan 4 weeks ago

Dublin

Meh, yes it still exists...

Mys and andro variants...

Will it ever go away? Not really, it stems from various variants of chip'n'fish shops residing on individual's shoulders...

Spanning from divorced husbands / wives, onwards, taking it out on female employees over to unsuspecting kids in the classrooms...

Just another mental illness that is allowed to run rampant in the society, additionally fuelled by those same parties crying foul yet using the platform to further promote and justify their issues.

Being an equal opportunity discriminator myself, I'd inappropriately administer punishment and remedies on such individuals in an unusually cruel ways, as a warning to everyone to behave.

Aaand, one... Two... Three...

By *runchMan 4 weeks ago

Dublin

"They are brain washed.... It's all down to the patriarchy... We are all living under the umbrella of the patriarchy and every now and then someone pokes a hole through it. The people who benefit from the patriarchy don't like that and try to slap down the people that challenge it.

I ve had male managers say to me they would "pimp me out". Defenders of the patriarchy don't like to be emasculated, they prefer handmaidens that fawn to them rather than anyone that calls out their entitled BS.

FUCK THE PATRIARCHY.... YAY. "

So just go be clear, male managers - plural - have used those exact words to you. Did you report any to HR?

» Add a new message to this topic