FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Exif and GPS data scrubber

Exif and GPS data scrubber

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I know, some of you just went "What?"

I read a post earlier about photos being used for possible blackmail and to identify you. This is not a joke, with new phones now putting GPS data into the file as well as the other information stored there (that many don't know about) it's easier than ever to find out if a photo is of somebody you know

Quote:

EXIF is short for Exchangeable Image File, a format that is a standard for storing interchange information in digital photography image files using JPEG compression. Almost all new digital cameras use the EXIF annotation, storing information on the image such as shutter speed, exposure compensation, F number, what metering system was used, if a flash was used, ISO number, date and time the image was taken, whitebalance, auxiliary lenses that were used and resolution. Some images may even store GPS information so you can easily see where the images were taken!

So, how do you get rid if that information? Easy - go and get your hands on metability quick fix here:

http://www.metabilitysoftware.com/

This clever (and FREE) program strips all the data from the photo so all personal information is removed.

See, I can be useful around here sometimes

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I know, some of you just went "What?"

I read a post earlier about photos being used for possible blackmail and to identify you. This is not a joke, with new phones now putting GPS data into the file as well as the other information stored there (that many don't know about) it's easier than ever to find out if a photo is of somebody you know

Quote:

EXIF is short for Exchangeable Image File, a format that is a standard for storing interchange information in digital photography image files using JPEG compression. Almost all new digital cameras use the EXIF annotation, storing information on the image such as shutter speed, exposure compensation, F number, what metering system was used, if a flash was used, ISO number, date and time the image was taken, whitebalance, auxiliary lenses that were used and resolution. Some images may even store GPS information so you can easily see where the images were taken!

So, how do you get rid if that information? Easy - go and get your hands on metability quick fix here:

http://www.metabilitysoftware.com/

This clever (and FREE) program strips all the data from the photo so all personal information is removed.

See, I can be useful around here sometimes "

All gobbledygook to me but certainly worth looking into.

If you're using an iPhone you can deny the camera and others apps access to location data.

SettingsPrivacyLocation Settings

The alternative is to take your pics out in a field in the middle of nowhere

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman  over a year ago

My town

Personally it's sad that people stoop to that level of blackmailing or threatening to tell your on a swingers site.

I would be mortified if my family and friends where to find out am I ashamed no, but I think my business should be my business and I choose to tell people if I feel I need to.

The people that to me are sick and twisted to go to levels of such uncalled behaviour I ask myself why!!!.

Op I am probably waffling on but I really don't understand how to do this as your quite kindly gone to the levels to post up can this be done on phones or computers

"Personally it's sad that people stoop to that level of blackmailing or threatening to tell your on a swingers site.

I would be mortified if my family and friends where to find out am I ashamed no, but I think my business should be my business and I choose to tell people if I feel I need to.

The people that to me are sick and twisted to go to levels of such uncalled behaviour I ask myself why!!!.

Op I am probably waffling on but I really don't understand how to do this as your quite kindly gone to the levels to post up can this be done on phones or computers "

Well said.

"Personally it's sad that people stoop to that level of blackmailing or threatening to tell your on a swingers site.

Op I am probably waffling on but I really don't understand how to do this as your quite kindly gone to the levels to post up can this be done on phones or computers "

The program runs on a PC and is quite simple to use - bear in mind a lot of older cameras and phones don't include GPS data and as pointed out you can actually turn that off on the phone anyway (including Android/Blackberry/Windows phones)

Other hints (apart from going into the middle of a field) is to make sure any items of a personal nature are not in the background of your photo - by that I mean family photo frames, easily identifiable furniture, pictures, even yer curtains

I don't mean to put anyone off taking pictures (we'd have nothing to look at if you did)

By *egularFunMan  over a year ago

If you've only got a smartphone try these...

Android - Image Privacy

iPhone - ExifRemover

Cheers KinkE, I should also point out that removing the exif data is also a double edged sword, as sometimes forums/groups may use the data to prove that the photo was genuine. so it's probably best to just remove it for anything you want kept private. Also, facebook strips that data from the photo as well (not that you'll be posting pictures to facebook I hope!)

I think I put the wind up ye by mentioning this first. Yes, it is a double edged sword but generally I'd only upload an image to a swing site for the profile with all data stripped. You have no control over a website's server where the picture you uploaded is stored, it might get hacked or anything. I was mainly referring to pictures you might email directly to someone. Another thing, at least back in the good old days, was people flashing up little selfies on their chat icons in Instant Messenger and not realising ALL those little pictures are cached on the other persons computer. No disrespect to the posters above who can't follow the gobbledegook but ignorance of these technical issues is what has made the internet so dangerous as baddies can exploit naive goodies.

admin are probably pissing themselves laughing looking through the metadat on our pics on here, yeah I can be lazy sometimes

"If you've only got a smartphone try these...

Android - Image Privacy

iPhone - ExifRemover"

where on the android is that located?

By *egularFunMan  over a year ago

"If you've only got a smartphone try these...

Android - Image Privacy

iPhone - ExifRemover

where on the android is that located?"

Lol, all you had to do was search in the Play Store, here's the link (assuming it's allowed)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.rn3aoh.imageprivacy&hl=en

thanks

It is a pity that people do things like that, how sad and desperate must you be to try and gain advantage over someone just because they're on a site like this. We all have our thing and I'm sure this side ( swinging) is only a small piece of what makes you... you.

*When I say you I'm actually picturing some hot girl reading my message, agreeing with my sensitive side and wanting to sleep with me asap. -- I'd date a cinema date but I'd be after the shift after!

» Add a new message to this topic