FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > cervical screening

cervical screening

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

ladies , just a reminder on the importance of cervical screening , for all sexually active ladies . This simple test could save your life . if your due one go book it , or to check when your due log on to cervicalcheck.ie.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Amazing how many women won't go and have a smear done it's as important as a sexual health screening so not sure why people don't go .. intact they can check for STI's at your smear if you request it so get both done at same time

"Amazing how many women won't go and have a smear done it's as important as a sexual health screening so not sure why people don't go .. intact they can check for STI's at your smear if you request it so get both done at same time "

I fully agree with this. I have a friend who wont get hers sone because she isnt sexually active. Sick of stressing to her now that its not all about stds. Its to check for change in cells. But its no harm to get both checked whe you get them done. So important. I lost two people both in 7 months to cancer ita scary but of caught early can change the outcome. There should be more awareness soread on this matter. Thanks ladies. Xxx

"Amazing how many women won't go and have a smear done it's as important as a sexual health screening so not sure why people don't go .. intact they can check for STI's at your smear if you request it so get both done at same time

I fully agree with this. I have a friend who wont get hers sone because she isnt sexually active. Sick of stressing to her now that its not all about stds. Its to check for change in cells. But its no harm to get both checked whe you get them done. So important. I lost two people both in 7 months to cancer ita scary but of caught early can change the outcome. There should be more awareness soread on this matter. Thanks ladies. Xxx"

Just can't understand why they won't go...If you had anything else wrong you go to a Dr common sense tells you silent cancers like cervical cancer requires smears ...Kick your friends arse to the Dr sexually active or not cancer ain't selective

"Amazing how many women won't go and have a smear done it's as important as a sexual health screening so not sure why people don't go .. intact they can check for STI's at your smear if you request it so get both done at same time "

I had it yesterday at Rotunda Hospital, gynecologist clinic.

Both smear and STI's.

I was referred by my gp for something related with my contraceptive method, and talking with doctor I asked if they could do the smear and STI's and they took the samples was quick and no hassle.

"Amazing how many women won't go and have a smear done it's as important as a sexual health screening so not sure why people don't go .. intact they can check for STI's at your smear if you request it so get both done at same time

I had it yesterday at Rotunda Hospital, gynecologist clinic.

Both smear and STI's.

I was referred by my gp for something related with my contraceptive method, and talking with doctor I asked if they could do the smear and STI's and they took the samples was quick and no hassle. "

Good woman

Yes it is very important I got mine check every two years. but know it will be every year do to having my ovaries removed do to overian cysts. so do get yourselves check

Go for your smears when you're due, but even if you recently had one and aren't due another, go back to your go if you have unexplained bleeding or pain. I had a clear smear and because of my age was told that I wouldn't need another for five years. Less than a year later I had to have treatment to remove very abnormal cells. Those things expand rapidly. Had I not gone backbto my own doctor when I noticed a problem, I probably wouldn't be here today.

By *isdirtygirlWoman  over a year ago

Dublin

My daughter had 4 inches of her cervix removed 6 months ago because CN3 cancer cells were found. She kept putting her smear test off but had she gone for the test 18 months previously, it could have been detected and treated.

I cant describe the awful time she had with the worry, upset and stress of dealing with it.

Not only is her health in jeopardy where she ll be screened for the next 10 years regularly,shes also at high risk of premature birth or miscarriage in any future pregnancy because theres no cervix to support a growing baby.

So any of you that have daughters over the age of 25, please get them to attend their test and ladies, if you recieve a letter telling you your cervical screening is due, dont put it on the back burner and shrug it off.

It can save your life or the life of your daughters xxx

"My daughter had 4 inches of her cervix removed 6 months ago because CN3 cancer cells were found. She kept putting her smear test off but had she gone for the test 18 months previously, it could have been detected and treated.

I cant describe the awful time she had with the worry, upset and stress of dealing with it.

Not only is her health in jeopardy where she ll be screened for the next 10 years regularly,shes also at high risk of premature birth or miscarriage in any future pregnancy because theres no cervix to support a growing baby.

So any of you that have daughters over the age of 25, please get them to attend their test and ladies, if you recieve a letter telling you your cervical screening is due, dont put it on the back burner and shrug it off.

It can save your life or the life of your daughters xxx "

I am sorry to hear that.

We have to look after ourselves.

No excuses.

Plus please have your daughters vaccinated in the school programs. There are scare stories with zero scientific evidence to back them up doing the rounds, which is putting people off vaccines.

I've been monitored for a few years due to abnormal cells. Was due to have the laser treatment this week actually but that has had to be put on hold until I give birth. The care and advice from the doctors involved in the screening and all other processes I have found second to none.

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman  over a year ago

My town

It takes two minutes....if you can go every yr do....my mother was smear test free, the following yr had cervical cancer had to have a chemotherapy and radiotherapy at the age of 36..

I had A wonderful 24 yrs with my mother after she fought it. Sadly at the age of 60 she got secondary cancer ovarian and we lost her.

Btw.. The porpouse of my visit was contraception, she recommended me Kyleena, mostly because it's very small, and she said due to my csections I still have very small womb.

Any of you using this method ? I'm using implanon and having some bad side effects

I owe my life to cervical cancer screening after needing treatment in my early twenties

Can't stress how important it is

My town

"Btw.. The porpouse of my visit was contraception, she recommended me Kyleena, mostly because it's very small, and she said due to my csections I still have very small womb.

Any of you using this method ? I'm using implanon and having some bad side effects

"

sides effects on implanon are very common and effect different women. It may be just doesn't suit you.... I had that and it failed me..

"Plus please have your daughters vaccinated in the school programs. There are scare stories with zero scientific evidence to back them up doing the rounds, which is putting people off vaccines. "

To be honest I'm thinking about this my daughter is 11 and I just want to be sure to take the right decision, so confused about this and what I read about it so far is not helping me to clear my mind

Dublin

"Btw.. The porpouse of my visit was contraception, she recommended me Kyleena, mostly because it's very small, and she said due to my csections I still have very small womb.

"

Its the newer brand of the coil to suit women whove not given birth or have had c sections. Im on my second mirena coil and thankfully, i rarely have a period and no side effects. Im menopausal too and it has helped with symptoms like hot flushes and sweats.

Its the newer brand of the coil to suit women whove not given birth or have had c sections. Im on my second mirena coil and thankfully, i rarely have a period and no side effects. Im menopausal too and it has helped with symptoms like hot flushes and sweats. "

Oh thanks, I think then Kyleena can be my solution then

Sorry to hear about your daughter, hugs x

I was very much in favour of the vaccine and made sure my two got it when it was time. But my younger daughter had severe problems after, long before I'd ever read the scary stories. It's taken several years for her to feel 'normal' again. I don't know if it had anything to do with the vaccine, but I'd certainly be a lot more wary now.

By *il_MissBMFCWoman  over a year ago

Various Venues Across The UK

"My daughter had 4 inches of her cervix removed 6 months ago because CN3 cancer cells were found. She kept putting her smear test off but had she gone for the test 18 months previously, it could have been detected and treated.

Exactly the same situation as me, although mine was on my very first smear at the age of 24.

I went in with lower back pain and the doctors sent me to the chiropractor... A further 4 months went by until I had my letter inviting me for my first smear.. Now I know from the two operations, that the lower back pain was warning signs of the stage 1 cervical cancer I had..

Thankfully at my follow up screening 6 months after the cone biopsy I got the all clear. Fingers crossed at my next follow up it'll remain all clear.. I hope your daughters follow ups are as successful x

Very scary, glad they've caught it, and I find it comforting to know that there will be regular checks, meaning fewer delays in getting treatment should more be required. We're never done worrying about our children, are we?

Dublin

It can save your life or the life of your daughters xxx

Very scary, glad they've caught it, and I find it comforting to know that there will be regular checks, meaning fewer delays in getting treatment should more be required. We're never done worrying about our children, are we? "

Never Sally...I fought with her so much i was literally tearing my hair out!!

Shes doing well these days and if she ever becomes pregnant, we ll cross the bridge when we come to it.

I have to say, some of your stories are quite upsetting and brought tears to my eyes and then, its quite comforting to know you all feel the same way. Its good to know you all have each others backs with womens issues.

My town

As ladies we know our own bodies if we feel something is not right go to your doctor and that goes for everything breast checks too stay healthy ladies xx

"Never Sally...I fought with her so much i was literally tearing my hair out!!

Shes doing well these days and if she ever becomes pregnant, we ll cross the bridge when we come to it.

I have to say, some of your stories are quite upsetting and brought tears to my eyes and then, its quite comforting to know you all feel the same way. Its good to know you all have each others backs with womens issues. "

I think there's an option to have a 'stitch' put in when pregnant, but from your posts I'm guessing you have a medical background so probably know more about that than I do.

Dublin

I have to say, some of your stories are quite upsetting and brought tears to my eyes and then, its quite comforting to know you all feel the same way. Its good to know you all have each others backs with womens issues.

I think there's an option to have a 'stitch' put in when pregnant, but from your posts I'm guessing you have a medical background so probably know more about that than I do. "

Known as cervical cerclage involving stitching the remaining cervix at 12 weeks. We spoke at length to her consultant and he said it was her best option if she became pregnant.Its still early days to consider a baby as my daughter was recently smeared again and we re awaiting the results. If shes clear, they ll test again in 6 months and yearly after that. Time will tell and I want her healthy above everything else. Part of me will never stop secretly hoping for grandchildren at some stage though.

I think there's an option to have a 'stitch' put in when pregnant, but from your posts I'm guessing you have a medical background so probably know more about that than I do.

Known as cervical cerclage involving stitching the remaining cervix at 12 weeks. We spoke at length to her consultant and he said it was her best option if she became pregnant.Its still early days to consider a baby as my daughter was recently smeared again and we re awaiting the results. If shes clear, they ll test again in 6 months and yearly after that. Time will tell and I want her healthy above everything else. Part of me will never stop secretly hoping for grandchildren at some stage though. "

I hope it all works out xx

By *hocoholicWoman  over a year ago

The big D

Just got a letter in saying mines due so will do that next week. Iv no problem going for these but the amount of times my galfriends will moan about embarrassment or time consuming etc but they'd be in first breaking down the doors for a splinter. Most would do the Cure before the Prevention.

I actually didn't know they can check for std's there, so that's new info 4me, thanks

By *hocko87Man  over a year ago

dublin

Ladies I know it's all about you but guys should have their health checked out just as much as the ladies . Most guys won't go near a doctor unlike most ladies go regularly .

By *exyDownUnderWoman  over a year ago

Westmeath

I've had my first results of abnormal cells from a smear.

Had a biopsy and thank god CN2. Then laser of abnormal cells and now awaiting results ... fingers crossed.

It's soooo important to go when you receive your letter and not put it off.

"Ladies I know it's all about you but guys should have their health checked out just as much as the ladies . Most guys won't go near a doctor unlike most ladies go regularly . "

I was waiting for the "what about the menz?!!" comments. So well done, you didn't disappoint

And I'm all for smear tests. Think the age for the free ones should be lowered though for definite

By *oungcouple1993xCouple  over a year ago

Dublin

"

I can't get a smear for another year but definitely will be as soon as I can. I'm going to the doctor today to get my inplanon out. The side effects are horrendous with my, pretty much always suffering from cramps and back pain and headaches and my anxiety is through the roof. Not to mention the random bleeding for weeks at a time.

Dublin

"Ladies I know it's all about you but guys should have their health checked out just as much as the ladies . Most guys won't go near a doctor unlike most ladies go regularly . "

So make a prostate thread

I can't get a smear for another year but definitely will be as soon as I can. I'm going to the doctor today to get my inplanon out. The side effects are horrendous with my, pretty much always suffering from cramps and back pain and headaches and my anxiety is through the roof. Not to mention the random bleeding for weeks at a time."

Sorry, but what do you mean you can't get a smear for another year? If you feel you need one or something needs checking, go to your gp. You'll have to pay for it, but you'll get it done. A year is an awful long time if things aren't as they should be.

Dublin

I can't get a smear for another year but definitely will be as soon as I can. I'm going to the doctor today to get my inplanon out. The side effects are horrendous with my, pretty much always suffering from cramps and back pain and headaches and my anxiety is through the roof. Not to mention the random bleeding for weeks at a time.

Sorry, but what do you mean you can't get a smear for another year? If you feel you need one or something needs checking, go to your gp. You'll have to pay for it, but you'll get it done. A year is an awful long time if things aren't as they should be. "

Because I'm only 24

Sorry, but what do you mean you can't get a smear for another year? If you feel you need one or something needs checking, go to your gp. You'll have to pay for it, but you'll get it done. A year is an awful long time if things aren't as they should be.

Because I'm only 24"

If you're bleeding, in pain or just plain worried, ask your gp.

» Add a new message to this topic