FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > What is a soul ? Do you have one ?

What is a soul ? Do you have one ?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

As I lay here pondering the intricate nuances life has, I found myself in a slightly bemused mood. What did I think about the above questions and what indeed do others think.

Is a soul real ? What is real in this context and who gets to define it or does that matter ?

As far as I am aware a soul cannot be seen, touched or monitored in any particular way. Is a soul therefore just a feeling.

Is it our brain projecting who we see outselves at our core as ? I would humbly assume it is a distintly human experience to at least assume we have a soul.

Is it just a linguistic term that gives hope for eternal life in the absence of any real evidence to support said notion.

Is a soul a product of consciousness or at what point does an embryo/fetus develop a soul.

For me I don't jump on board with the religious versions that tend to make the soul somewhat self sufficient once life has ended.

I tend to think of it as the part of my brain that makes me who I am. For better for worse and sometimes in a tornado of uncertainty it is an idea I guess manufactured that brings me back to my deepest understanding of me.

Does a body have a soul or does the soul have a body as it's vessel .

For me it is when I am at peace within myself. I am able to engage with my own actions as a non-judgemental observer . Not sure if this is a little heavy for some of you folks on here but some folks like some of my random musings so I thought I would post a brief synopsis of my own thoughts.

Looking forward to seeing the repsonses regardless of agreement or total disagreement with this post.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"As I lay here pondering the intricate nuances life has, I found myself in a slightly bemused mood. What did I think about the above questions and what indeed do others think.

Is a soul real ? What is real in this context and who gets to define it or does that matter ?

As far as I am aware a soul cannot be seen, touched or monitored in any particular way. Is a soul therefore just a feeling.

Is it our brain projecting who we see outselves at our core as ? I would humbly assume it is a distintly human experience to at least assume we have a soul.

Is it just a linguistic term that gives hope for eternal life in the absence of any real evidence to support said notion.

Is a soul a product of consciousness or at what point does an embryo/fetus develop a soul.

For me I don't jump on board with the religious versions that tend to make the soul somewhat self sufficient once life has ended.

I tend to think of it as the part of my brain that makes me who I am. For better for worse and sometimes in a tornado of uncertainty it is an idea I guess manufactured that brings me back to my deepest understanding of me.

Does a body have a soul or does the soul have a body as it's vessel .

For me it is when I am at peace within myself. I am able to engage with my own actions as a non-judgemental observer . Not sure if this is a little heavy for some of you folks on here but some folks like some of my random musings so I thought I would post a brief synopsis of my own thoughts.

Looking forward to seeing the repsonses regardless of agreement or total disagreement with this post.

"

The problem with discussions of a soul is that it is not well defined ... Like God, it depends what you mean

Consciousness is an interesting subject, presumed to be an emergent property dependent on the complexity of the brain, we have no certainty that anyone else is conscious, but assume that they are because they say so

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"

The problem with discussions of a soul is that it is not well defined ... Like God, it depends what you mean

Consciousness is an interesting subject, presumed to be an emergent property dependent on the complexity of the brain, we have no certainty that anyone else is conscious, but assume that they are because they say so "

Yes I completely agree. That's why I left the definition open to interpretation.

I'm not even fully clear on it myself . Consciousness itself is fascinating. Love listening to discussions about it from people of far superior knowledge to myself.

By *ohndunboyneMan  over a year ago

Dunboyne & Dublin

Sorry, can't help myself but...

Jimmy Rabbitte: Soul is the music people understand. Sure it's basic and it's simple. But it's something else 'cause, 'cause, 'cause it's honest, that's it. Its honest. There's no fuckin' bullshit. It sticks its neck out and says it straight from the heart. Sure there's a lot of different music you can get off on but soul is more than that. It takes you somewhere else. It grabs you by the balls and lifts you above the shite.

By *adame BWoman  over a year ago

C'est moi Boudoir

"Sorry, can't help myself but...

Jimmy Rabbitte: Soul is the music people understand. Sure it's basic and it's simple. But it's something else 'cause, 'cause, 'cause it's honest, that's it. Its honest. There's no fuckin' bullshit. It sticks its neck out and says it straight from the heart. Sure there's a lot of different music you can get off on but soul is more than that. It takes you somewhere else. It grabs you by the balls and lifts you above the shite."

Apologies also Kate

Brilliant quote John

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Jimmy Rabbitte: Soul is the music people understand. Sure it's basic and it's simple. But it's something else 'cause, 'cause, 'cause it's honest, that's it. Its honest. There's no fuckin' bullshit. It sticks its neck out and says it straight from the heart. Sure there's a lot of different music you can get off on but soul is more than that. It takes you somewhere else. It grabs you by the balls and lifts you above the shite."

Ahhh I love this

By *easingTimMan  over a year ago

Loughlinstown

----------------------------

"Elvis is not soul"

"I never pictured God with a fat gut and corset singing My Way at Caesar's Palace"

"God sent him? ...On a f@cking Suzuki?

Good aul Jimmy Rabitte, indeed he was a deep thinker and a prophetic man much like Gandhi in that he had a vision and could talk about all things soulful yet explain the intricacies of the human condition with such humility and brevity as...

"I'm f@cked if I know Terry"

» Add a new message to this topic