FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Mechanically minded person needed.

Mechanically minded person needed.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *eracity OP   Man  over a year ago

the big smoke

I’m in need of a pointer. Mondeo, petrol, when you pop the key in you can hear a relay click followed by what sounds like a fan. If you do the engine starts no problem. If you hear the click but no fan sound it won’t. You have to wait until you hear the fan sound. Once started the old girl runs like a dream.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Starter solinde maybe

By *andomCaptainMan  over a year ago

Roscommon

"I’m in need of a pointer. Mondeo, petrol, when you pop the key in you can hear a relay click followed by what sounds like a fan. If you do the engine starts no problem. If you hear the click but no fan sound it won’t. You have to wait until you hear the fan sound. Once started the old girl runs like a dream. "

Long shot - but could it be the battery in your key fob needs replacing...

the big smoke

"I’m in need of a pointer. Mondeo, petrol, when you pop the key in you can hear a relay click followed by what sounds like a fan. If you do the engine starts no problem. If you hear the click but no fan sound it won’t. You have to wait until you hear the fan sound. Once started the old girl runs like a dream.

Long shot - but could it be the battery in your key fob needs replacing... "

It’s not that sort of key. Standard key system.

"Starter solinde maybe"

Thought something with the starter too

By *andomCaptainMan  over a year ago

Roscommon

"I’m in need of a pointer. Mondeo, petrol, when you pop the key in you can hear a relay click followed by what sounds like a fan. If you do the engine starts no problem. If you hear the click but no fan sound it won’t. You have to wait until you hear the fan sound. Once started the old girl runs like a dream.

Long shot - but could it be the battery in your key fob needs replacing...

It’s not that sort of key. Standard key system. "

Ha well you can rule that one out then

the big smoke

Starter turns over. It turns the engine. If I try to start it without that fan sound it starts 2 out ofb10 times but when it does it cuts out after 10 seconds. If I turn it over with that fan sound it starts perfectly. It’s like an extra air intake isn’t opening.

"I’m in need of a pointer. Mondeo, petrol, when you pop the key in you can hear a relay click followed by what sounds like a fan. If you do the engine starts no problem. If you hear the click but no fan sound it won’t. You have to wait until you hear the fan sound. Once started the old girl runs like a dream. "

Bad earth maybe

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

battery might be going flat..not enough power going to starter hence the clicking..try not to hole the key in start for more than 3 seconds as you'll ruin your starter too

Sounds like electrics, or damp carborator? Check for hairline cracks

By *ts artMan  over a year ago

Londonderry

Electric fuel pump, depending on the year of the car it could be at the tank or an inline one mounted under the car near the back just in front of the rear axle, and possibly bad connection on the electrics

Open the bonnet. Get some one to turn the key. Listen to the starter motor. If it gives a whizzing sound but doesn't start the engine it's knackered and needs re conditioning

By *ndrew1972Man  over a year ago

Roscrea

Could be a fuel pump. I had a similar problem before with a land rover. Turn on the the ignition and I could hear the pump in the fuel tank kick in, a 'whirring' noise. If that noise didn't start then engine would turn over but wouldn't fire. Is this similar to what is happening with yours?

Could be a lot of things. Fuel pump and faulty electrics would be top of my investigation list. Would get it to a garage once it starts or it could leave gou stranded. Good luck with it mate!

the big smoke

"Could be a fuel pump. I had a similar problem before with a land rover. Turn on the the ignition and I could hear the pump in the fuel tank kick in, a 'whirring' noise. If that noise didn't start then engine would turn over but wouldn't fire. Is this similar to what is happening with yours?"

It’s exactly the same. I think I have it nailed down. Looks like a relay issue.

By *hSureFookItMan  over a year ago

Dublin/Drogheda

Sounds like a the fuel pump relay or a weak pump on its way out. If you bridge the relay and it's starts every time then it's a dodgy relay, if it's still doesn't start check the power to the pump.

By *ugs and JunkCouple  over a year ago

Bellshill

This article may help. Was as you described and found to be a faulty fuel pump

https://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?3940-Ford-Mondeo-Starting-Problems-No-buzzing-noise-on-ignition

If your air conditioning or air circulation is on when starting the fan will run , and as far as I know ford has the fan run on initial start up ,if the car is cranking over but not starting more then likely a fuel issue, and said you can hear relay clicking may be a dodgy relay for fuel pump ... Does it ever randomly cut out or hesitate pulling off ?

By *ilderMan  over a year ago

dublin

Have you tried pressing control, alt and delete at the same time?.....

Not too sure of your mechanical ability, but if you can find the fuel pipe in the engine bay. Look for the fuel rail/injectors. The pipe should pop off easily enough. Just pinch the connector with a thin pliers. Turn on the ignition, but only to the first 'click'. You should be able to see easily enough if the pump is working. The is a fuel pump relay which is the 'click' sound. It's either the pump or relay.

There are only (basically) two things that can cause a petrol engine from not starting, fuel and ignition.

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

How's she doing today? Does she need a new pump injection or is the spark not there at all?

By *al2001Man  over a year ago

kildare

It's the fuel pump

That's the pump making that fan sound

By *oo32Man  over a year ago

tipperary

Could be a thermostat...if the sensor is banjaxed it wont go

By *hSureFookItMan  over a year ago

Dublin/Drogheda

Have you checked the flux capacitor

the big smoke

"How's she doing today? Does she need a new pump injection or is the spark not there at all? "

She’s slowly limping to a mechanic. It’s the fuel pump that going. I got it started this morning. Limped to work. She’s flat spotting all over the place.

the big smoke

Thanks for all the helpful comments. She’s got a shagged fuel pump. It’s booked in for a little TLC today.

» Add a new message to this topic