Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ohndunboyneMan  over a year ago

Dunboyne & Dublin

Too slow and too depressing.

I'll sleep better after watching Deadpool

By *rHornyGentMan  over a year ago

South East London

It is a beautifully brilliant film and I’m watching it now.

By *he rover returned OP   Woman  over a year ago

xxx

"It is a beautifully brilliant film and I’m watching it now. "

Me too... it just captures the best and worst in humanity.

xxx

"Too slow and too depressing.

I'll sleep better after watching Deadpool "

Except deadpool is fiction

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Except deadpool is fiction "

To be fair so is The boy in the stripped Pajamas

Dunboyne & Dublin

Except deadpool is fiction "

Which is why I leave the serious movies for weeknights. The weekend is about escapism in all senses

By *xyzptlk088Man  over a year ago

Galway

"It is a beautifully brilliant film and I’m watching it now. "

It's a pile of muck in comparison to the book. Too many liberties taken by the scriptwriters.

By *r_mrs_studmuffinCouple  over a year ago

narnia

Absolutely screeched crying watching this I'm a big pussycat really

xxx

"Absolutely screeched crying watching this I'm a big pussycat really "

Want a tissue

By *ocketman99Man  over a year ago

fermanagh

Just finished a film essential to the development of children going through the educational system and how it will develop and impact their futures!

The movie: ‘The School of Rock’

Lol

By *eracityMan  over a year ago

the big smoke

"Breaks my heart every time. "

I’ve yet to watch the whole movie.

Dunboyne & Dublin

"Breaks my heart every time.

I’ve yet to watch the whole movie. "

Ya big girls blouse

They all die in the end

Dunboyne & Dublin

"Just finished a film essential to the development of children going through the educational system and how it will develop and impact their futures!

The movie: ‘The School of Rock’

Lol"

proper Sunday night viewing

By *eracityMan  over a year ago

the big smoke

Ya big girls blouse

They all die in the end "

I’m human. With a pulse an all.

Dunboyne & Dublin

Ya big girls blouse

They all die in the end

I’m human. With a pulse an all. "

Best not watch all of it then.

Kinda depressing

By *etmebeurfantasyWoman  over a year ago

My town

Watched it with my daughter recently, and found it very emotional..

By *adylaceWoman  over a year ago

Waterford City

The book is absolutely amazing. The film doesn’t capture the pure innocence and horror of it all. The same with “the book theif”. Fantastic books.

Galway

"The book is absolutely amazing. The film doesn’t capture the pure innocence and horror of it all. The same with “the book theif”. Fantastic books. "

Some of the characters were unrecognisable from the book. If I saw the movie without reading the book no doubt I would have thought it very good. But in comparison it's just OK.

I have never seen a movie that compared to the book it was based on but then our imagination is limitless.

By *osmicGateMan  over a year ago

louth

"Breaks my heart every time. "

1 of those films I always meant to watch..must give it a go tonight

narnia

"Absolutely screeched crying watching this I'm a big pussycat really

Want a tissue "

Thanks badly needed

"Absolutely screeched crying watching this I'm a big pussycat really

Want a tissue Thanks badly needed "

A truely heartbreaking film, i thought it was excellent, and i will never watch it again

Galway

"I have never seen a movie that compared to the book it was based on but then our imagination is limitless."

Silence of the lambs is in my opinion the closest adaptation

xxx

"The book is absolutely amazing. The film doesn’t capture the pure innocence and horror of it all. The same with “the book theif”. Fantastic books. "

The book theif is one of my favourite reads... the story just popped off the page...the characters well written and engaging. I refused to watch the movie....I've my own pictures

xxx

"The book is absolutely amazing. The film doesn’t capture the pure innocence and horror of it all. The same with “the book theif”. Fantastic books.

Some of the characters were unrecognisable from the book. If I saw the movie without reading the book no doubt I would have thought it very good. But in comparison it's just OK. "

In fairness your probably right, ive never read the book

By *eductively_SweetWoman  over a year ago

wexford

I've yet to watch it all.. I've managed 40 mins then I loose interest. I need to watch it.

"The book is absolutely amazing. The film doesn’t capture the pure innocence and horror of it all. The same with “the book theif”. Fantastic books.

Some of the characters were unrecognisable from the book. If I saw the movie without reading the book no doubt I would have thought it very good. But in comparison it's just OK.

In fairness your probably right, ive never read the book "

Great book. The tattooist of Auschwitz is brilliant too.

Was it a true story

xxx

"Was it a true story"

No it actually falls under the "children's fiction" genre

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Did anyone watch the movie that was on after, called Timbuktu? Excellent and remarkable drama film and absolutely beautiful imagery, I've to say.

"Was it a true story"

No, the reality was that the majority of children were murdered on arrival at camps.

By *adylaceWoman  over a year ago

Waterford City

In fairness your probably right, ive never read the book

Great book. The tattooist of Auschwitz is brilliant too."

Aww. Another brilliant book.

Couldn't agree more. Read both book. Books are far better than movie...well, maybe because i'd prefer books anyways.

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

Not a fan of these films, the allies were just as nasty.

xxx

"Not a fan of these films, the allies were just as nasty."

In all honesty all war is nasty but i think in all reality hitler may just have won the biggest evil bastard award for WW2.

Films and books like this are needed if for nothing else to help educate.

"Not a fan of these films, the allies were just as nasty."

The British invented concentration camps after all...

xxx

"Did anyone watch the movie that was on after, called Timbuktu? Excellent and remarkable drama film and absolutely beautiful imagery, I've to say.

"

No but ill look it up thanks fir the recommendation. I went to bed after it

narnia

"I've yet to watch it all.. I've managed 40 mins then I loose interest. I need to watch it."
sweet tissues don't forget tissues

xxx

"Was it a true story

No, the reality was that the majority of children were murdered on arrival at camps. "

This is true .. they weren't fit to work so they were murdered

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

"Not a fan of these films, the allies were just as nasty.

In all honesty all war is nasty but i think in all reality hitler may just have won the biggest evil bastard award for WW2.

Films and books like this are needed if for nothing else to help educate. "

Unit 731

The japanese were skinning people alive. With no painkillers and not putting them to sleep first. The new doctors said when they arrived at the unit it took about a week to get used to the screams.

They got women pregnant, then infected women with diseases, then watched to see if the baby caught the disease, before murdering the baby and repeating the process. Looking for ways to infect the next generation of a population with diseases.

They froze peoples limbs, and body parts by holding them in freezing water. They would then experiment on them by cutting their limbs off, seeing how many limbs they could lose, seeing how long they could survive with no treatment, etc.

They used weapons on them, gernades, flame throwers. They would tie them to posts in circles and let off a gernade in the middle then see what damage had been done to people at what distances. They would line them up and use a flame thrower and see what damage was done to them etc etc etc.

And when the US/UK found the camp they gave them a free pass. They gave them a free pass so they could use the research. If you get frostbite and go to a western hospital for treatment, the treatment they give you was developed by the japanese in torture camps.

So yeah, war is bad, but the only reason we paint hitler as the worst is for propaganda reasons. We are complicit in some of the worst crimes the planet has ever seen, and we ignore that.

Films and books like this are needed if for nothing else to help educate. "

Sure war is hell, but Hitler being the biggest...doubt it. Try Stalin instead. Killed way more than Hitler. Not personaly, but by being the person responsible for them to be shot, tortured, sent to labour camps to work and starved to death. Hitler wasn't the biggest. Propaganda made him famous. Western allies were in with Stalin, so they turned a blid eye to what he did.

Few books to read:

Behind closed doors

Gulag-Ann Applebaum

Gulag Archipelago Solzenicyn

The whisperers Orlando Fig

xxx

Unit 731

The japanese were skinning people alive. With no painkillers and not putting them to sleep first. The new doctors said when they arrived at the unit it took about a week to get used to the screams.

They got women pregnant, then infected women with diseases, then watched to see if the baby caught the disease, before murdering the baby and repeating the process. Looking for ways to infect the next generation of a population with diseases.

They froze peoples limbs, and body parts by holding them in freezing water. They would then experiment on them by cutting their limbs off, seeing how many limbs they could lose, seeing how long they could survive with no treatment, etc.

They used weapons on them, gernades, flame throwers. They would tie them to posts in circles and let off a gernade in the middle then see what damage had been done to people at what distances. They would line them up and use a flame thrower and see what damage was done to them etc etc etc.

And when the US/UK found the camp they gave them a free pass. They gave them a free pass so they could use the research. If you get frostbite and go to a western hospital for treatment, the treatment they give you was developed by the japanese in torture camps.

So yeah, war is bad, but the only reason we paint hitler as the worst is for propaganda reasons. We are complicit in some of the worst crimes the planet has ever seen, and we ignore that."

Appriciate all that effort... war is shite .. Hitler was a demon and now theres as bad if not worse. We've been killing maiming and hurting each other for centries.... id suggest since the start. You want to see evil shit study medieval history.

This book is a learning tool.. a childs first introduction to the horrors of war. Its beautifully told.... its readable and relatable . It sparks an interest and for some will spark an interest to learn more. With all due respect we'll probably not start teaching 11 year olds about the Japanese skinning humans alive ...one step at a time.

By *ontbesillywrapyourwillyMan  over a year ago

Tipperary

I have colourdy pjs on. They're sexy.

xxx

Sure war is hell, but Hitler being the biggest...doubt it. Try Stalin instead. Killed way more than Hitler. Not personaly, but by being the person responsible for them to be shot, tortured, sent to labour camps to work and starved to death. Hitler wasn't the biggest. Propaganda made him famous. Western allies were in with Stalin, so they turned a blid eye to what he did.

Few books to read:

Behind closed doors

Gulag-Ann Applebaum

"

Ill look these up... all of these men were evil and everything they did was evil. They all represent a loss if humanity and empathy. Its not really a competition.... not one of them represent the best of humanity, war is evil and no one involved comes out of it well.

Heres a book that does bring out the best and maybe its one ill pick up to read again. Theres goodness and joy and love...

"The book of joy" .... thats humanity at its best

Few books to read:

Behind closed doors

Gulag-Ann Applebaum

Ill look these up... all of these men were evil and everything they did was evil. They all represent a loss if humanity and empathy. Its not really a competition.... not one of them represent the best of humanity, war is evil and no one involved comes out of it well.

Heres a book that does bring out the best and maybe its one ill pick up to read again. Theres goodness and joy and love...

"The book of joy" .... thats humanity at its best "

Sounds like a good read!

All of these men...hope you mean the ones that never get their hands dirty, never see the real horror of any war from ther office, sending 1000s of others to fight. Most soldier in WW II wasn't there by their own choice. By the way during the nazi regim in Germany, not flying a nazi flag with swastika was a crime, so not every german was a nazi back then.

It's extremely difficult to convey the horrors of death camps like Auschwitz/Birkenau and Treblinka amongst other's in a movie and I think The Boy In The Stripped Pyjamas didn't set out to do so. It was the backdrop for the story that pulled on the heartstrings and was nicely done.

Life is Beautiful (Roberto Benigni) was another tear jerker with the end game set in a concentration camp. Far fetched entertainment that I thought still worthy of the Oscar for best foreign film.

Son of Saul is the only film I've seen that I felt gut punched from beginning to end. It's beautifully shot and haunting. That made me cry.

Going to auschwitz tomorrow morning! I’m sure no film will ever be able to portray what went on there. Amazing bbc documentary on Netflix about auschwitz worth a watch

"Going to auschwitz tomorrow morning! I’m sure no film will ever be able to portray what went on there. Amazing bbc documentary on Netflix about auschwitz worth a watch"

It's a visit that will stay with me forever. Education is everything and there are some really good documentaries. I must check that one.

If you're staying in Krakow, I hope you enjoy your visit. It's a fascinating city with so much to see.

"Going to auschwitz tomorrow morning! I’m sure no film will ever be able to portray what went on there. Amazing bbc documentary on Netflix about auschwitz worth a watch"

We took the guide bus out to aushwitz they showed a video on the journey I cried the whole time. Bring plenty of tissues. I won't say enjoy it but embrace it I guess xx

By *hloe sussexTV/TS  over a year ago

Larne

Yes isn’t it good to know that type of thing went on 50yrs ago and stuff in this day and age like that would never go on except nothing has changed ! Man around the world is still so cruel to there fellow man

"Yes isn’t it good to know that type of thing went on 50yrs ago and stuff in this day and age like that would never go on except nothing has changed ! Man around the world is still so cruel to there fellow man "

I remember standing in aushwitz thinking this didn't happen that long ago.

And let's be honest there is still war crimes etc going on. Nature of the beast I guess. Greed , power, control, money etc

"Yes isn’t it good to know that type of thing went on 50yrs ago and stuff in this day and age like that would never go on except nothing has changed ! Man around the world is still so cruel to there fellow man

And let's be honest there is still war crimes etc going on. Nature of the beast I guess. Greed , power, control, money etc "

And don’t forget religion! It’s behind every war that ever was

"Yes isn’t it good to know that type of thing went on 50yrs ago and stuff in this day and age like that would never go on except nothing has changed ! Man around the world is still so cruel to there fellow man

And let's be honest there is still war crimes etc going on. Nature of the beast I guess. Greed , power, control, money etc

And don’t forget religion! It’s behind every war that ever was "

Yep definitely should have included that one

"Going to auschwitz tomorrow morning! I’m sure no film will ever be able to portray what went on there. Amazing bbc documentary on Netflix about auschwitz worth a watch

It's a visit that will stay with me forever. Education is everything and there are some really good documentaries. I must check that one.

If you're staying in Krakow, I hope you enjoy your visit. It's a fascinating city with so much to see."

Yeah staying in krakow an amazing city! And believe it or not actually found a swingers club by chance that nobody knew about on here! Doesn’t appear on google either!

"Going to auschwitz tomorrow morning! I’m sure no film will ever be able to portray what went on there. Amazing bbc documentary on Netflix about auschwitz worth a watch

If you're staying in Krakow, I hope you enjoy your visit. It's a fascinating city with so much to see.

Yeah staying in krakow an amazing city! And believe it or not actually found a swingers club by chance that nobody knew about on here! Doesn’t appear on google either!"

I was there for a week and didn't know there was a swingers club there. Didn't stop me misbehaving all the same

Have fun.

xxx

I've visited and its hunted me since. I was 13 weeks pregnant the effect it had on me was overwhelming... id an overwhelming sense of panic when we were brought to the gas chambers, id to get out. The silence was deafing in the camp and there really was no birdsong

» Add a new message to this topic