FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Car insurance

Car insurance

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

A bit of a weird one here. I haven't owned a car for nearly two years now..but I've got over 10 years no claim bonus. I've heard that I'll lose all that if I haven't insured myself on a car within two years. Is there anyway round it where I can still keep my no claims bonus but not have a car? Or can I keep my no claims bonus if I'm a named driver? Thanks in advance

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *oghunter33Woman  over a year ago

on the hill NordWest of

Check out if you can keep it if you get your name on someone else's car insurance as a second driver, ie your auntie.

By *estcorkfunMan  over a year ago

clonakilty

Even if your insured on a company’s commercial policy it counts aswell. Worked for me. As a named driver.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You loose your NCB after 2 years fact. Being named on someone else's policy will not preserve you NCB. You can only take out an insurance if you have an insurable interest e.g. you own the car you have insured. No way around extending the 2yr rule for NCB. After 2 hrs you have 0yrs NCB

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"You loose your NCB after 2 years fact. Being named on someone else's policy will not preserve you NCB. You can only take out an insurance if you have an insurable interest e.g. you own the car you have insured. No way around extending the 2yr rule for NCB. After 2 hrs you have 0yrs NCB"
thanks for the advice.. appreciate it. I'm going to see if I can put myself as a main driver on a friend's car and switch her over as a named driver instead.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"You loose your NCB after 2 years fact. Being named on someone else's policy will not preserve you NCB. You can only take out an insurance if you have an insurable interest e.g. you own the car you have insured. No way around extending the 2yr rule for NCB. After 2 hrs you have 0yrs NCB thanks for the advice.. appreciate it. I'm going to see if I can put myself as a main driver on a friend's car and switch her over as a named driver instead. "

But I refer back to my point about insurable interest, if you do that & you have an accident you potentially get nothing for the car if you have no insurable interest. You must be the registered owner of the vehicle. You cannot claim for something you do not own.

» Add a new message to this topic