FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > Ireland > Bragging time.....

Bragging time.....

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ealitybites OP   Man  over a year ago

Belfast

What have you done that has given you a great sense of personal achievement?

For me it has been going from a couch potato 9 years ago to climbing every one of the highest peaks in Ireland and the UK and a few in the States more than once.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Dealing with both of my parents in various stages of dementia an alcoholism while also working full time and being effectively a single parent.

By *anysicoMan  over a year ago

cork

A strong woman, well done ,

"Dealing with both of my parents in various stages of dementia an alcoholism while also working full time and being effectively a single parent. "

That's is so hard, you are obviously a strong individual to have gotten through that. Makes anything I have ever done look like a stroll in the park

Thank you guys, but it's not a competition, we can only play the cards we are dealt in life, everyone is entitled to their own feelings of accomplishment or achievement.

By *reland8Man  over a year ago

sandyford

"Thank you guys, but it's not a competition, we can only play the cards we are dealt in life, everyone is entitled to their own feelings of accomplishment or achievement. "

By *ilthyNightsCouple  over a year ago

East / North, Cork

Being a good dad, husband, and ex-husband who is able to prioritise my 5 kids at all times even though 3 of them live at their mums half the time... al while running and building my own business.

By *at3232Woman  over a year ago

Castlebar

"What have you done that has given you a great sense of personal achievement?

For me it has been going from a couch potato 9 years ago to climbing every one of the highest peaks in Ireland and the UK and a few in the States more than once. "

Very cool

Castlebar

"Dealing with both of my parents in various stages of dementia an alcoholism while also working full time and being effectively a single parent. "

You dont realise how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have. Xx

By *ustBoWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in Co. Down

"Thank you guys, but it's not a competition, we can only play the cards we are dealt in life, everyone is entitled to their own feelings of accomplishment or achievement. "

No its not but you should be very proud of yourself that is tough going x

Somewhere in Co. Down

"Being a good dad, husband, and ex-husband who is able to prioritise my 5 kids at all times even though 3 of them live at their mums half the time... al while running and building my own business."

Got made redundant and went from unemployed to principal software engineer at one of the world's biggest fintech companies in 4 years, and also got my Master's ... only wrote code as a hobby before that

Castlebar

"Being a good dad, husband, and ex-husband who is able to prioritise my 5 kids at all times even though 3 of them live at their mums half the time... al while running and building my own business."

Lovely to hear that x

Somewhere in Co. Down

"What have you done that has given you a great sense of personal achievement?

For me it has been going from a couch potato 9 years ago to climbing every one of the highest peaks in Ireland and the UK and a few in the States more than once. "

Ohh well done I bet there are still peaks you want to climb tho

Castlebar

"Got made redundant and went from unemployed to principal software engineer at one of the world's biggest fintech companies in 4 years, and also got my Master's ... only wrote code as a hobby before that "

Wow cool!!

Well done to all.. Being a single parent is one of the toughest things to do but u just get up every day and face each new challenge as it comes. And anyone caring for anyone with any form of an illness u should be very proud. Xxxx

Somewhere in Co. Down

I have a few things I proud of in my life but I guess just being able to try and stay positive and no matter how bad things have gotten not to let them make me bitter and change my outlook

And also the fact that in the last year I have pulled myself out of a rut and realised I'm not over the hill just yet and that life is for living not just existing

"I have a few things I proud of in my life but I guess just being able to try and stay positive and no matter how bad things have gotten not to let them make me bitter and change my outlook

And also the fact that in the last year I have pulled myself out of a rut and realised I'm not over the hill just yet and that life is for living not just existing "

Well done Bo never give up ull always get there xx

"I have a few things I proud of in my life but I guess just being able to try and stay positive and no matter how bad things have gotten not to let them make me bitter and change my outlook

And also the fact that in the last year I have pulled myself out of a rut and realised I'm not over the hill just yet and that life is for living not just existing "

Well done bo xx

Raising a kid completely alone and knowing he has turned out a find young man probably my greatest achievement.

Hope a few more achievements out there for me yet as I live my life now.

That probably one of the strongest statement one can make - all about people’s own well / mental well being. Probably doing something for yourself is probably one of the hardest things you can do for yourself

By *lassy lady 216Woman  over a year ago

Craigavon

I havent really accomplish much in my life but probably one of the biggest things i have even done was buy my own home and keep it running on only one wage im also very proud of the job that i do as anyone knows the caring profession is not an easy one also feel prlud of the auntie that i have become and that all my nieces and nephews love spending time with me as soneone above said also for the fact that i havent let things that have happened to me affect the person that i am or change me in any way we all have scars and battles that we are trying to fight and the fact that we can gwt up every morning and face a new day is something to be proud of sometimes its the little things that mean the most not the big things

Leaving my abusive ex one morning after 24 years with my 4 children and our dogs ( months of planning first ) and pretty much leaving with only the clothes on our backs and supporting them on my own till madhatter came along I can’t believe how good we have it now

By *elle xWoman  over a year ago

Doire Theas

Amazing everyone you should all be very proud of yourselves

Leaving my ex, raising my kids, building my business, getting fit and strong all while dealing with the illness and sadly later death of my rock and best friend.. My dad.

I'm still standing

By *og-ManMan  over a year ago

somewhere

Ok first time ive ever written this down or told anyone.

As a child I was repeatedly abused by a priest in Dublin for years and when I finally got away from him i never mentioned it again.

However as soon as my first child was born I had a meltdown in case anyone ever touched him and it went as far as me seeing my abuser in my dreams every night for months.I decided to do something about it and went to the guards at the age of 30 and he was arrested and questioned a few times but denied it.The guards that questioned him said he was frightened and i was so happy The DPP wouldn't do anything because of his age so I brought a private case against him and the catholic church and won.

I then gave evidence to the murphy commission of enquiry and helped in the making of a PrimeTime program called Cardinal Secrets.

I'll never be the frightened child again and I'm sorry for a bit of a downer for people on here but I'm typing this through tears as it means so much to me.

My great achievement...Im not a victim but a survivor of child abuse

Castlebar

[Removed by poster at 25/01/20 11:12:37]

Castlebar

"Ok first time ive ever written this down or told anyone.

As a child I was repeatedly abused by a priest in Dublin for years and when I finally got away from him i never mentioned it again.

However as soon as my first child was born I had a meltdown in case anyone ever touched him and it went as far as me seeing my abuser in my dreams every night for months.I decided to do something about it and went to the guards at the age of 30 and he was arrested and questioned a few times but denied it.The guards that questioned him said he was frightened and i was so happy The DPP wouldn't do anything because of his age so I brought a private case against him and the catholic church and won.

I then gave evidence to the murphy commission of enquiry and helped in the making of a PrimeTime program called Cardinal Secrets.

I'll never be the frightened child again and I'm sorry for a bit of a downer for people on here but I'm typing this through tears as it means so much to me.

My great achievement...Im not a victim but a survivor of child abuse "

Well done xxx

somewhere

"Leaving my ex, raising my kids, building my business, getting fit and strong all while dealing with the illness and sadly later death of my rock and best friend.. My dad.

I'm still standing "

Well done

Castlebar

By _at3232 Woman

1 minute ago!

Castlebar

Survived my ex husband leaving me after 16 years together when our son was 10 weeks old. Working and raising my beautiful son alone. Keeping the banks and bills at bay. Dealing with the dreadful family court system.

Surviving the shame and hurt and my heart being broken. Coping with my mental health and still living with the black dog!

Learned to trust again and was in a new relationship which ended badly last year and got my heart shattered again.

Still here.

Still trying

Still hoping xx

You are amazing

"By _at3232 Woman

1 minute ago!

Castlebar

Survived my ex husband leaving me after 16 years together when our son was 10 weeks old. Working and raising my beautiful son alone. Keeping the banks and bills at bay. Dealing with the dreadful family court system.

Surviving the shame and hurt and my heart being broken. Coping with my mental health and still living with the black dog!

Learned to trust again and was in a new relationship which ended badly last year and got my heart shattered again.

Still here.

Still trying

Still hoping xx

"

Strong woman.. Keep fighting and never give up hope xx

By *an For YouMan  over a year ago

belfast/holywood

Giving up a successful career to devote all my time to help others who can’t help themselves and who are alone in the world and need a shoulder to cry on or a helping hand .

Everyone should hold their head up high that has posted everyones life takes a different road so be bloody proud of what you have overcome and achieved.

By *adylaceWoman  over a year ago

Waterford City

It’s not much but I battled crippling depression since I was a teenager and I’ve thankfully survived 2 suicide attempts and finally for the last few years feel like I have control of it instead of it having control of me.

It’s ok not to be ok. Don’t be afraid to talk. xx

"It’s not much but I battled crippling depression since I was a teenager and I’ve thankfully survived 2 suicide attempts and finally for the last few years feel like I have control of it instead of it having control of me.

It’s ok not to be ok. Don’t be afraid to talk. xx"

Xx

Castlebar

"It’s not much but I battled crippling depression since I was a teenager and I’ve thankfully survived 2 suicide attempts and finally for the last few years feel like I have control of it instead of it having control of me.

Don't underestimate yourself warrior xx

Castlebar

"Giving up a successful career to devote all my time to help others who can’t help themselves and who are alone in the world and need a shoulder to cry on or a helping hand . "

By *adylaceWoman  over a year ago

Waterford City

Don't underestimate yourself warrior xx"

Thank you. X

By *oserMan  over a year ago

where the wild roses grow

Ate an entire share pack of tayto bistro cheese and onion on my own last night while binging netflix.

Also

Did a white wash this morning that actually stayed white, how fooking cool is that?

Castlebar

Don't underestimate yourself warrior xx

Thank you. X "

"

Ate an entire share pack of tayto bistro cheese and onion on my own last night while binging netflix.

Also

Did a white wash this morning that actually stayed white, how fooking cool is that?

"

Go you

Castlebar

"Leaving my abusive ex one morning after 24 years with my 4 children and our dogs ( months of planning first ) and pretty much leaving with only the clothes on our backs and supporting them on my own till madhatter came along I can’t believe how good we have it now "

Peas in a pod xx

Being a full time single dad with full time job still being able to do 3 gaelforces and an iron man each year

somewhere

Thanks for sharing and well done you beautiful strong woman

somewhere

"

Also

Best one on here in fairness

"

East / North, Cork

Ffs. Trying to stop tears falling out of my face in the mahon point food hall lol. What strength you have.

Somewhere in Co. Down

Well done to you it takes a lot of will power and bravery to take on your abuser I'm so glad you did and have come through the other side. I grew up in a very abusive home with both parents being abusive one physically not sexually he just beat the crap out of us regularly to the point of breaking bones and the other was emotionally abusive. But I survived it as did my siblings and I like you refuse to see myself as a victim but more of a survivor.

I am do glad you got to face yours tho and win taht is amazing xxx

My great achievement...Im not a victim but a survivor of child abuse

Well done to you it takes a lot of will power and bravery to take on your abuser I'm so glad you did and have come through the other side. I grew up in a very abusive home with both parents being abusive one physically not sexually he just beat the crap out of us regularly to the point of breaking bones and the other was emotionally abusive. But I survived it as did my siblings and I like you refuse to see myself as a victim but more of a survivor.

I am do glad you got to face yours tho and win taht is amazing xxx"

Ah bo x

Somewhere in Co. Down

"

Also

"

That is one of the best achievements so far

I did not realise my greatest achievement until my teenage daughter defended single dad's in a school debate.

I seldom get emotional but it brought a tear to my eye.

And a day out shopping for her too by the way!

By *abKenMan  over a year ago

Dundalk

Ah lads this thread is just amazing. So many emotional stories and the strength, courage and bravery you have is unreal and I tip my hat to you for picking yourseves up and fighting back.

It is another big benefit of Fab, an outlet for people to share their stories that they otherwise feel they have to keep bottled up.

Amazing and inspirational stuff xxx

By *eaAndBenCouple  over a year ago

Dublin

I’m humbled reading this thread. Amazing people.

Bea x

East / North, Cork

I'd urge people who read this to think for a sec about the human stories behind the profiles they are messaging... and be a tiny bit more understanding because you've no idea what the other person is going through off the site.

By *ensualandslow321Man  over a year ago

Tullamore

After reading some of the stories here I feel humbled by the huge inner strength shown by people here. It never ceases to amaze me how such strong people materialise out of such heart breaking scenarios.

I was abandoned at age 15 when my folks fucked off abroad and left me behind. I managed by myself built business and married unfortunately an abusive man who threatened me and the kids would eat grass and starve if I dared leave him. In the end he fucked off abroad when the recession hit leaving me to battle banks and creditors and revenue who hounded me nearly to death. I lost my business the house I'd paid for and was mortgage free and my marriage but somehow I kept my kids in a stable environment with no help from anyone and no relatives to speak of. My kids are now in university doing fine I am happily single and my x has returned to see his kids turned out very well and despite him we didn't starve. That which does not kill you makes you stronger!

By *ogladyWoman  over a year ago

The bog

I lost my son three years ago to suicide that broke me completely then the year after my daughter was found hanging from a balcony I was told she wouldn't survive and at that point I had giving up and was going to follow my children bit by some mirecal she pulled through with Very little after affects and were are both stronger than ever now..so the fact that I didt give up and she didn't and we now see that life is for living is my greatest achievement.

By *nquisitive ladyWoman  over a year ago

Dublin

I'm welling up here reading so many amazing stories of the strength of people . So many I'd like to individually commend as I too feel very humbled by their stories .. xxxx

somewhere

"I was abandoned at age 15 when my folks fucked off abroad and left me behind. I managed by myself built business and married unfortunately an abusive man who threatened me and the kids would eat grass and starve if I dared leave him. In the end he fucked off abroad when the recession hit leaving me to battle banks and creditors and revenue who hounded me nearly to death. I lost my business the house I'd paid for and was mortgage free and my marriage but somehow I kept my kids in a stable environment with no help from anyone and no relatives to speak of. My kids are now in university doing fine I am happily single and my x has returned to see his kids turned out very well and despite him we didn't starve. That which does not kill you makes you stronger! "

I struggled with revenue and sherrif and creditors during the recession so i feel your pain on that one.

Congratulations on getting through it all

By *rmrs1234Couple  over a year ago

Waterford

Greatest achievement is im still here. I had a horrific childhood of physical and mental abuse. sexually assaulted at 14. Developed anorexia, counsellor that i attended in my 20's told me she was shocked that i wasnt either an alcoholic or a drug addict with everything id been through. have gone through severe bouts of post natal depression ( still have lingering effects). I credit my husband for helping me break free from my narcissistic, abusive mother and we have four amazing girls that are growing to be well brought up human beings. they are my little rays of hope and happiness

somewhere

"Greatest achievement is im still here. I had a horrific childhood of physical and mental abuse. sexually assaulted at 14. Developed anorexia, counsellor that i attended in my 20's told me she was shocked that i wasnt either an alcoholic or a drug addict with everything id been through. have gone through severe bouts of post natal depression ( still have lingering effects). I credit my husband for helping me break free from my narcissistic, abusive mother and we have four amazing girls that are growing to be well brought up human beings. they are my little rays of hope and happiness"

Well done to both of you

By *ysteryman2009Man  over a year ago

Ireland

Ireland

"Greatest achievement is im still here. I had a horrific childhood of physical and mental abuse. sexually assaulted at 14. Developed anorexia, counsellor that i attended in my 20's told me she was shocked that i wasnt either an alcoholic or a drug addict with everything id been through. have gone through severe bouts of post natal depression ( still have lingering effects). I credit my husband for helping me break free from my narcissistic, abusive mother and we have four amazing girls that are growing to be well brought up human beings. they are my little rays of hope and happiness"

Ireland

"I'd urge people who read this to think for a sec about the human stories behind the profiles they are messaging... and be a tiny bit more understanding because you've no idea what the other person is going through off the site."

somewhere

"I lost my son three years ago to suicide that broke me completely then the year after my daughter was found hanging from a balcony I was told she wouldn't survive and at that point I had giving up and was going to follow my children bit by some mirecal she pulled through with Very little after affects and were are both stronger than ever now..so the fact that I didt give up and she didn't and we now see that life is for living is my greatest achievement."

I dont know how you find the strength to keep going and you're obviously a great mother.

If you have a God may he give you both the strength to keep going

Ireland

"I lost my son three years ago to suicide that broke me completely then the year after my daughter was found hanging from a balcony I was told she wouldn't survive and at that point I had giving up and was going to follow my children bit by some mirecal she pulled through with Very little after affects and were are both stronger than ever now..so the fact that I didt give up and she didn't and we now see that life is for living is my greatest achievement."

By *ealitybites OP   Man  over a year ago

Belfast

I had no idea when starting this thread that it would take on a life of its own and I am truly humbled by the amazing stories and the strength and fortitude of those who have shared with us. I have been through tough times also but nothing that could compare to some of you. I was going to apologise for the use of the term bragging and how flippant my achievements sound in comparison but if this thread has encouraged you to share then it's made my day.

By *ouble Trouble 1000Couple  over a year ago

ireland

Humbled is an understatement -you guys rock !!

In comparison we ve both had very easy lives which we are very grateful for .

By *ogMoThoinMan  over a year ago

Belfast

Amazing stories of inner strength and courage from people. It's true that you never know what other people are carrying with them. More power to you all!

This pales into insignificance in comparison, but is the achievement that gives me the most satisfaction, not necessarily the biggest. I fractured my leg in a footy match when I was 35, I was back playing and lifting a trophy in 6 months. I just had a feeling it was our year! Haha

By *ouble Trouble 1000Couple  over a year ago

ireland

"Humbled is an understatement -you guys rock !!

In comparison we ve both had very easy lives which we are very grateful for ."

Oh and our claim to fame is being happily married for 30 plus years and raising our kids who seem to have turned out pretty well !

Wow, without exception, the best forum thread I have ever read on Fab. The stories are so real and so humbling. How amazing are those members who posted their personal stories. You should be beyond proud of yourselves. You are incredible.

"Leaving my ex, raising my kids, building my business, getting fit and strong all while dealing with the illness and sadly later death of my rock and best friend.. My dad.

I'm still standing "

xx

Honestly beat thread on here in a while, not one is us knows what other people have experienced, gave battled through, have survived, sending each and everyone of you hugs and hopefully you all got a little bit of piece by opening up. A really amazing little bunch of warriors xx xx

[Removed by poster at 25/01/20 17:40:31]

Wow I am absolutely lost for words. Well done to you all you are all bad ass people x

Hero's don't just wear capes there are some truly inspirational human beings in our midst

Godspeed and much love to all

"Hero's don't just wear capes there are some truly inspirational human beings in our midst

Godspeed and much love to all "

Fair play great to read that

"Hero's don't just wear capes there are some truly inspirational human beings in our midst

Godspeed and much love to all "

Well said some amazing stories and great that people have moved on from the tough times

Castlebar

Xxx

By *elle xWoman  over a year ago

Doire Theas

By *aradisecircusMan  over a year ago

Derry

Raising my autistic son. He has a lot of challenges and raising him is a challenge but he makes me immensely proud every single minute of every single day

Come back to me in 4-5 years and I'll see if I did what I want to be proud of.

somewhere

"Raising my autistic son. He has a lot of challenges and raising him is a challenge but he makes me immensely proud every single minute of every single day"

This...

Derry

"Raising my autistic son. He has a lot of challenges and raising him is a challenge but he makes me immensely proud every single minute of every single day

This... "

Thanks pal

Castlebar

"Raising my autistic son. He has a lot of challenges and raising him is a challenge but he makes me immensely proud every single minute of every single day"

By *etite_RosyWoman  over a year ago

Now in MALAGA (SPAIN)

Im raising an autistic daughter. My husband did not win a battle with pancreatic cancer. He supported me all these years, even when being sick. We lived in the UK that time close to my parents. When he died, I had depression. Dark times. I had my own business, sold it, and last year moved back to Spain with my lovely angel. We have been swingers and had lots of friends. One of them proposed me on Christmas and I said yes. Life is sometimes a bi*tch but I believe everything happens for a reason.

I have met a fantastic person in Cork when it was my stop before we moved back to Spain.

This dearest friend is a warrior. Single mum, always smiles and always positive.

One day her life had changed within a few minutes. She did not give up and still fighting to get her life back. She smiles again! And Im hoping to meet her in April.

Derry

[Removed by poster at 25/01/20 20:34:46]

somewhere

I hope that these posts dont raise too much pain for all the people posting on here and that there is some small comfort to those who have lost loved ones in knowing your friends on here have you in their hearts and prayers

Derry

"Im raising an autistic daughter. My husband did not win a battle with pancreatic cancer. He supported me all these years, even when being sick. We lived in the UK that time close to my parents. When he died, I had depression. Dark times. I had my own business, sold it, and last year moved back to Spain with my lovely angel. We have been swingers and had lots of friends. One of them proposed me on Christmas and I said yes. Life is sometimes a bi*tch but I believe everything happens for a reason.

I have met a fantastic person in Cork when it was my stop before we moved back to Spain.

This dearest friend is a warrior. Single mum, always smiles and always positive.

One day her life had changed within a few minutes. She did not give up and still fighting to get her life back. She smiles again! And Im hoping to meet her in April.

"

What a journey you've been on - and out of the dark times you've come out exuding happiness and positivity.

Good on ya missus!

Wow... humbling stories. Take a bow you all and big clap from me. Respect... we all got our crosses to bear and we still surviving. Love this thread. Thanks OP. Lilred x

By *etite_RosyWoman  over a year ago

Now in MALAGA (SPAIN)

"Im raising an autistic daughter. My husband did not win a battle with pancreatic cancer. He supported me all these years, even when being sick. We lived in the UK that time close to my parents. When he died, I had depression. Dark times. I had my own business, sold it, and last year moved back to Spain with my lovely angel. We have been swingers and had lots of friends. One of them proposed me on Christmas and I said yes. Life is sometimes a bi*tch but I believe everything happens for a reason.

What a journey you've been on - and out of the dark times you've come out exuding happiness and positivity.

Good on ya missus!

"

Be proud of yourself as well. Raising kids, especially autistic ones is not piece of cake. Well done you!

By *etergemmaCouple  over a year ago

South Dublin Area

Hero

"

Strong woman

By *ackk25Man  over a year ago

Kilkenny

Some very moving and honest posts from the above posters...we all have baggage... Some with small bags some with large bags... But some of you out there are absolute troopers... Keep goin!

From a working family.Poorest child on a kid class neighbourhood, to achieving more than all my childhood friends combined... to going Russia and fck a super hot lady who is still my friend, and to Finland to age acid and fck another a 19 yo beauty, to have my own bankrupted business... And loads of lessons

To have acid* annoying tablet

By *he Baker 85Man  over a year ago

Banbridge

I survived a bad car accident in which I broke my neck in two places & shattered my left arm, was told I wouldn't ever make a full recovery & the strength in my arm would only be 50% of what it once was............ so after 20months of being in Various different neck braces & a lot of physio to build up muscle in my neck & arm....... I'm back working full time & saved the life of my colleague by administering first aid & doing CPR long enough till the emergency services got to him. Has to be the best feeling ever

By *evil_u_knowMan  over a year ago

city

Learned a bit of Irish.

I our wee community that is the Irish Forum.

It's always good to talk and there'll always be someone here to listen

Wow you guys are all so much more than anyone could possibly see in you from the outside.

Great forum post!

Thanks to all who found courage to share their experiences and feelings.

By *ordjeffMan  over a year ago

around and about ,as travel.

Managed to perform the heimlich manoeuvre on a choking casualtie

Taught it in first aid for years. never thought it would work.

But it did .

Such an amazing heart filled post

By *kblueeyesCouple  over a year ago

kilkenny

Hubby left after 20 yrs control freak , 3 children who I put through college working 60 hrs a week 2 jobs no support from ex had to sell my house as banks put pressure on me, now remarried to a wonderful man 3 children have great jobs, bought old house big project but mortgage free and couldn't be happier, it's been a long difficult road but once you believe in yourself you can do it x

somewhere

"Hubby left after 20 yrs control freak , 3 children who I put through college working 60 hrs a week 2 jobs no support from ex had to sell my house as banks put pressure on me, now remarried to a wonderful man 3 children have great jobs, bought old house big project but mortgage free and couldn't be happier, it's been a long difficult road but once you believe in yourself you can do it x"

Beautiful story...happy for you both and the kids

» Add a new message to this topic