FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > London > Where have all the cockneys gone?

Where have all the cockneys gone?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Seriously I've been to London many times and I haven't met one yet

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *orflondonerMan  over a year ago

Wood Green

Genuine old school Londoners still exist. Many have moved out though,as it's so bloody expensive. If you go into the pubs around most football stadiums match day(spurs and west ham in particular) you will find many of the old school back for the game. Most of the pubs i use you will find loads of people with Cockney accents,along side other accents from elsewhere. Places like Oxford Street etc,then you will won't here as many as you would have died be a few years back.

Wood Green

"Genuine old school Londoners still exist. Many have moved out though,as it's so bloody expensive. If you go into the pubs around most football stadiums match day(spurs and west ham in particular) you will find many of the old school back for the game. Most of the pubs i use you will find loads of people with Cockney accents,along side other accents from elsewhere. Places like Oxford Street etc,then you will won't here as many as you would have died be a few years back."

Done,not died

"Genuine old school Londoners still exist. Many have moved out though,as it's so bloody expensive. If you go into the pubs around most football stadiums match day(spurs and west ham in particular) you will find many of the old school back for the game. Most of the pubs i use you will find loads of people with Cockney accents,along side other accents from elsewhere. Places like Oxford Street etc,then you will won't here as many as you would have died be a few years back.

Done,not died"

By *horty4Man  over a year ago

london

What does that even mean? Millions of people, me included, were born ,brought up and live in London. Cor blimey guvnor and speaking in rhyming slang is about as up to date as flat caps and whippet racing ‘up north’

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Seriously I've been to London many times and I haven't met one yet "

This one lives in the valleys now!

Wood Green

"What does that even mean? Millions of people, me included, were born ,brought up and live in London. Cor blimey guvnor and speaking in rhyming slang is about as up to date as flat caps and whippet racing ‘up north’ "

True,but some still speak with what is a traditional Cockney accent. I talk,just like my father,who spoke just like his(so I am told,never met my grand dad).London may be progressive,but there's room for the old school as well. To the OP a couple of years back myself and an Irish friend were having a beer in the Shakespeare in Clerkenwell and he remarked that's it's the first time he can remember being in a pub and his was the only non Cockney accent.

By *oldenskyWoman  over a year ago

london

I’m here

london

"What does that even mean? Millions of people, me included, were born ,brought up and live in London. Cor blimey guvnor and speaking in rhyming slang is about as up to date as flat caps and whippet racing ‘up north’

True,but some still speak with what is a traditional Cockney accent. I talk,just like my father,who spoke just like his(so I am told,never met my grand dad).London may be progressive,but there's room for the old school as well. To the OP a couple of years back myself and an Irish friend were having a beer in the Shakespeare in Clerkenwell and he remarked that's it's the first time he can remember being in a pub and his was the only non Cockney accent."

Mind you, I think I sound quiet posh until I hear a recording of myself. I sound like Phil Mitchel

Wood Green

"What does that even mean? Millions of people, me included, were born ,brought up and live in London. Cor blimey guvnor and speaking in rhyming slang is about as up to date as flat caps and whippet racing ‘up north’

True,but some still speak with what is a traditional Cockney accent. I talk,just like my father,who spoke just like his(so I am told,never met my grand dad).London may be progressive,but there's room for the old school as well. To the OP a couple of years back myself and an Irish friend were having a beer in the Shakespeare in Clerkenwell and he remarked that's it's the first time he can remember being in a pub and his was the only non Cockney accent.

Mind you, I think I sound quiet posh until I hear a recording of myself. I sound like Phil Mitchel "

Most of the ones I have come across have moved way out, mainly due to massive immigration.

Mind you, I think I sound quiet posh until I hear a recording of myself. I sound like Phil Mitchel "

The last time I was in a pub in London, I think I was the only brit in the pub lol.

"Most of the ones I have come across have moved way out, mainly due to massive immigration. "

Should of stayed around

"I’m here "

Woohoo

Mind you, I think I sound quiet posh until I hear a recording of myself. I sound like Phil Mitchel

The last time I was in a pub in London, I think I was the only brit in the pub lol. "

Now I come to think of it.. I was the only white man on the street

By *o_eye_deerMan  over a year ago

The South Near That London

The last time I was in a pub in London, I think I was the only brit in the pub lol.

Now I come to think of it.. I was the only white man on the street "

Whereabouts were you?

"Most of the ones I have come across have moved way out, mainly due to massive immigration.

Should of stayed around "

Many of them experienced racism and discrimination, hence they left

By *appyguys2Couple  over a year ago

London

Where you been lol

By *appyguys2Couple  over a year ago

London

Really ??

"I’m here "

Yes you are

london

Ah, I see the thread veering off toward racism. I love London, it’s the best city in the world. People want to live here because it’s vibrant, you meet people from all over the world. I’m more than happy if racist pricks want to move out to one horse towns and sit around in dingy pubs complaining because the empire has been lost. Londoner for 51 years, never change london. Keep doing what makes you brilliant

"Ah, I see the thread veering off toward racism. I love London, it’s the best city in the world. People want to live here because it’s vibrant, you meet people from all over the world. I’m more than happy if racist pricks want to move out to one horse towns and sit around in dingy pubs complaining because the empire has been lost. Londoner for 51 years, never change london. Keep doing what makes you brilliant"

Where is the racism in this thread?

By *astlondoner888Man  over a year ago

London

I've lived in and around the east end my whole life, i work in brick lane, i can trace my mums side of the family to aldgate/whitechapel area way back to 1600's...all cockney, all working class, all sound as a pound.

Now most of us can't afford to live anywhere in london as its beyond ridiculous how much rent people charge! Its wrong on so many levels.

Who said anything about racism/discrimination? Don't make sweeping statements like that. Its stupid and far from being the truth. Over 150 languages spoken in Newham alone.

By *areToBe43Man  over a year ago

Surrey

An awful lot of what you might define as cockneys got relocated out of their old stomping grounds in central London to the Home Counties and new towns as “overspill” during slum clearances first in the 30s and then post-war. The St Helier estate between Mitcham and Sutton is a classic example. A vast tract of land built up into terraced and semi-detached housing between 1928 and 1936 complete with its own infrastructure (pubs, hospitals etc) where cockneys were ‘dumped’ wholesale from their digs up in central London. Not that they were complaining, though: a lot were swapping crumbling Victorian housing for their first indoor toilet, newly installed kitchens and relatively fresh air. Listen carefully and you can still hear a lot of the old cockney inflections in places like Sutton and Mitcham today.

Tl; dr version: if you’re looking for genuine cockneys in central London you’re looking in the wrong place. Their real descendants are in the Home Counties.

Am the real deal cockney I come from Canning Town it’s change big time since I last lived there 30 years ago

"What does that even mean? Millions of people, me included, were born ,brought up and live in London. Cor blimey guvnor and speaking in rhyming slang is about as up to date as flat caps and whippet racing ‘up north’ "

If you weren't born within the sound of Bow bells, then you're just a londoner.

Well that’s me born in the sound of bow bells lol

Surrey

[Removed by poster at 21/12/19 23:27:52]

Surrey

I don’t think anyone these days is born within the sound of Bow Bells (St. Mary-le-Bow, Cheapside; not St Mary and Holy Trinity, Stratford, Bow). So probably fair to say ‘true’ Cockneys no longer exist.

By *onty1971Man  over a year ago

London St Helier Trier

Born Londoner.

Lost the accent as I moved around.

Love Europe and travelling around.

Love the City so much I make sure I come back for work reasons.

Wood Green

"I don’t think anyone these days is born within the sound of Bow Bells (St. Mary-le-Bow, Cheapside; not St Mary and Holy Trinity, Stratford, Bow). So probably fair to say ‘true’ Cockneys no longer exist."

The bells still ring. 4times an hour,and properly on special occasions. I take your point,but people still within the area. My family's old stomping ground, Clerkenwell is probably more residents than it had 25years back.

Born hackney

Live north London

Work Hyde park

We still around we just don’t push barrows no more

For the fella that said he’s never found one errr didn’t realise we was a tourist attraction! Have a butchers at London house prices and you might get an idea a lot of locals was moved out to new towns like Stevenage and Milton Keynes after they demolished the slums more recently the sale of old council blocks for no money and crap compulsory purchase values have pushed more people away for million pound apartments owned by overseas investors

» Add a new message to this topic