FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Opinions on sex shops please

Opinions on sex shops please

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Hi peeps

I was in my local sex shop on friday buying some condoms and lube as it was a quiet day in there the woman who was in there asked if i had a few mins spare.

She went on to tell me how many letters of complaint she recieves each month and how many people are reluctant to even enter the shop,she said "they just stick there head inside the door and ask if i have a catalogue".She replies "no but you are free to browse the shop i do not charge".

She also said she is having a website done so locals can buy without having to enter the shop.Maybe i am a bit old fashioned but i like to actually see and feel what i am buying before purchasing it,are people really that embarresed about going into a sex shop?.

I go there quite regularly and it helps that both staff are female but i really enjoy looking around in there.What are your thoughts on this?.thanks in advance

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *arambarMan  over a year ago

swindon

Have never been in one. Internet shopping is fantastic - cheaper and anonymous.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I went in a sex shop and asked for ten quids worth and they told me to fuck off!!

there are a few in Peterborough I quite like going in them to have a nosey x

By *limBobStretchedPantsMan  over a year ago

Newcastle

Not to question you but in a sex shop for condoms and lube?? lol

If They sell them in the supermarket at least people shouldn't be offended by the sight of them. I have been in a few, its a sex shop ffs its pretty clear what you are going to get inside. I think people are still a bit prudish when it comes to it they are embarrassed in case they get caught hence the rise in internet sex shopping..

Our local sex shop closed down at the end of last year, due to fall in trade, it had been there 30 years, I think most people prefer the internet as it is cheaper and anonymous

sex shops are way way over priced in our opinion, lovehoney and such like sites are much better,cheaper and have a great returns policy

Until Perky and I got together, I had only been in a sex shop which was at LEAST an hours travel by train from me!!!!

Just lately though, I have almost become a sex shop 'mystery shopper'.... I tend to put the staff (especially those in a well-known chain named after the season we are supposed to be in now..) well and truly through their paces - even got one young lady 'assistant' in one recently to blush. And all I asked for was a certain size dildo for Perky.....

Anyway, like the OP I find nothing difficult in going in one anymore, but I do think the occasional male member of staff would be good to encourage more guys to go in.

Have to admit though that, go back 25 years, I would never have set foot in one! I do think it's a bit of an age thing - you lose many of your inhibitions (assuming you had some to begin with) the older/more mature you get and now I tend to think "Sod it! Why should I feel bashful of being seen going in to a sex shop?"

As for why so many people just put their head round the door of the one the OP describes, all I can think it is might have as much to do with the 'welcoming feel' they get, as much as it is to do with their own sense of embarrassment.

We have a small chain of shops near to me which have been going for years, and get a lot of walk-in trade - they are a family run business and the ladies who welcome you are matter-of-fact, non-pushy and happy to let you take your time browsing.

(with encouragement from... ) Lol!

People get worried about being seen going in/leaving the shop and so won't go in. Even Ann Summers has the same issue to some extent and they're a high street store. The parties tend to be more successful as there is more anonymity to what they buy...they can tell their friends they bought pyjamas or novelty items when in fact they bought a dress up outfit and a rabbit!

People are just embarrassed by sex and seem to be terrified of being seen as a sexual being...weird! x

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Why does it help that there are women serving in there ?

Have been in seversl but wouldn't go in the one in my home town for fear of being seen/recognised.

Also have to plan what trousers i'll be wearing when i go in as an obvious erection bulge is not considered polite!

"Not to question you but in a sex shop for condoms and lube?? lol

If They sell them in the supermarket at least people shouldn't be offended by the sight of them. I have been in a few, its a sex shop ffs its pretty clear what you are going to get inside. I think people are still a bit prudish when it comes to it they are embarrassed in case they get caught hence the rise in internet sex shopping.."

I can quite understand someone not wanting to go to a supermarket and buy lube and condoms. Where I live we are lucky in having TWO 24-hour opening stores of one of the major chains - not only are their prices better (Durex lube a whole pound cheaper than anywhere else), but it means that I can choose to go in to buy our supplies at a time when a Mum with young kids looking in the same aisle (bear in mind she could be buying razors for hubby less than 10 feet from me) is not put in a position where she has to answer 'probing' questions from an over-inquisitive 6 or 7 year old.

As for the prudishness of others (including a good friend of ours who KNOWS what we do...), nowadays I feel sorry for them that they let that get in the way of fulfilling themselves sexually. But, at the end of the day, I would not want to put a parent in a situation - with ANY product in a superstore - which might bring out their own embarrassment.

"People are just embarrassed by sex and seem to be terrified of being seen as a sexual being...weird! x"

Agree wholeheartedly with this, which is why I am going to great lengths to ensure my daughter does not end up with the same in-built embarrassment.

By *uyuksno1Man  over a year ago

poole

we have several in bmth we love them the staff are a good laugh we go in one by the triangle which is run ny 2 gay guys and one up the other side which is run by women weve had fun and a good laugh in both xx when my son asked about condoms my hubby took him to the one and made him wait outside so he new were we got ours although hes still too young to go in one we dont want him to be embarrassed about using them x

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Why does it help that there are women serving in there ?"

Well i would hate some grumpy old fart giving me a lecture about the victorian days how people never had sex but still ended up with children somehow

Plus women are alot easier on the eye and that instantly takes away any nerves

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Been to the one in leicester a few times to look,but usually the guy at the counter is talking to a couple of his mates and you can feel their eyes on you,which doesnt bother me but might a feww people.

When you have places like lovehoney that dont charge delivery at times and have it delivered in the next couple of days and generally good quality(only had one crap thing from them)plus you can send them back then im afraid they are going to get competition, also its 25miles to my nearest one

Forum Mod

Well gone are the days when sex shops had blacked out windows,I was always intrigued about the one closest to us as to what exactly was in there and was it really so bad that it was all cloak and dagger stuff to go inside

Now im an adult and have been in the one closest to me and I hated it

It was over priced,badly designed and the guy behind the counter gave me the creeps,he looked like the stereotypical dirty old man and I would'nt have asked his advice on anything at all,there was no incentive in there for me to want to buy anything

Now with Anne Summers at least they're inviting looking shops,but possibly they've become too inviting,I know the saucy stuff is usually at the back of the shop but I see people in there with kids in buggies and walking around while the parents look at the underwear,Im all for progress and openess about sex but I would'nt have wanted to take my children in there with me

The original "Adult Shop" chain are awful, small, dark, dingy in shitty parts of towns. I don't like going in them, the newer chains are much better, lots of light and space and much friendlier looking.

i dont live near any sex shops, but if i did i would go in and have a look round.

i always buy stuff off the internet.

Before swinging, I was always fascinated by sexshops.

But was too chicken to go in, as i still had the same assumption as my friends/ collegues

that it is only dirty old men in raincoats who frequent them!! (stupid I know)

The blacked out window makes them look quite seedy and scary.

I guess thats why Ann Summers has done so well.

Now im a lot less uptight and vanilla Im quite happy to go into my local sexshop, even if its just for a nosy round.

To be honest its not the best place to buy your lube etc. So shopping online is probably the cheapest and best way for choice.

I think if Ann Summers has done so well, other sexshops need to look at how they present themselves, and try to be more appealing and less intimidating

By *radleyandRavenCouple  over a year ago

Herts

I would've thought that people these days were more comfortable about the open-sidedness of sex... With it being more talked about and the acceptance of sex being a natural thing.

I had a rather embarrassing first time experience in Ann Summers when I was buying my first vibrator. - I was approached and served by a HUGE black man (who was lovely, but not very discrete. Plus you would expect to be approached by a WOMAN when it comes to advice and suggestions on your first vibrator...). He didn't give me any funny looks or make me feel uncomfortable, but he did proceed to run after me after I had left the shop and said he had forgot to ask me if I would like to purchase batteries (bearing in mind I was then with friends, lol)...

Luckily I am pretty shameless and it never put me off visiting sex shops again. But I HAVE come to prefer Simply Pleasure's website, as they are a lot cheaper and offer free delivery on all offers over £10. - I bought a fantastic new vibrator from them for £15 which is ridiculously cheaper than what I would find in most high street shops.

- Amy. x

My local sex shop is about ten mins walk from my house and i'm a regular visitor, got a loyalty card for there too so get discounts.

By *ishful.thinkingWoman  over a year ago

east london

I love them! Harmony, Prowler, Mimis, Anne Summers, especiLly the little independent ones. Love doing the rounds in Soho on a warm afternoon, seeing what's new, what's on offer, banter with most of the assistances, eyes popping out occasionally, sharing a joke with friends or a knowing look with Mr Cole. Love them

By *ENDAROOSCouple  over a year ago

South West London / Surrey

We often go into sex shops while out and about. Some are much nicer than others, there has been a couple that I (Mrs) have felt uncomfortable in but on the whole they have been fine.

Most of the ones we have been in, it has been men serving.

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

There's a chain near me called pulse and cocktails who are great. They usually have women on the counter but occasionally men. They are happy to open packaging to show what things are actually like and to put batteries in to demonstrate.

They have even exchanged unused toys and refunded on one's that died.

I do order from the internet, and love honey is one of the best, but it is good to see things in the flesh so to speak.

I have over the years been into some of the grotty looking ones and had very good customer service - any creepiness has cone from other users, generally the ones looking at the mags.

I bulk buy condoms from hone bargains (£1.49 for 12 mates) and get ky from there too (but silicon lube from sex shops or sites) and take the view that since they are openly available to buy I do not have to concern myself with the questions children may ask their parents - I get funnier looks from the parents when I buy a lot!

By *eenonfun2Couple  over a year ago

Glasgow

Our local sex shop is upmarket and classy. As well as selling lingerie, Tramps also has a selection of toys, shoes etc.

You can try on their lingerie in a huge dressing room.

However, whenever we have gone into any shop we have found the staff to be very helpful, and put you at ease straightaway.

I think people will always be shy about what they get up to in the bedroom. I am an Ann Summers Party organiser and the reason why the parties are so succesful is because the ladies get the best of both worlds they still get to see what there buying and all the ordering is private and confidential (and it's also a very entertaining evening) Need to try and get them to allow couple parties .

I will never forget when I was about 10 and saw the word book shop and asked my mum if we could go in. I didnt think it was weird that it had blacked out windows.

Strangely enough she said no.

Ive only ever been in Ann Summers and only plucked up the courage to do that on my own about 18 months ago. I would never go in a seedy looking shop where you have to go round the back to gain entrance.

» Add a new message to this topic