FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > TDF - Brad Wiggins

TDF - Brad Wiggins

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Brad's win is the greatest achievement ever by a British sports person.

Discuss...

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ollytrollopWoman  over a year ago

Bolton

well done, but those sideburns...really what is he thinking

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

Has he won it yet?

By *ovedupstillCouple  over a year ago

mullinwire

deffo the most incredulous, in terms of sheer effort and determination.

but lets not forget, he had an entire team around him to support him.

IF it were a single race, with no team orders, he would have been pushed alot closer and ahrder by the lad cromer (sp) who came 2nd overall.

it was team orders not to take time, and wins, away from wiggins.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Amazing athlete.his public status is going to explode after this.

I think its one of the greatest performances from a brit for sure.

All the cyclists are athletes of the highest order.

"Has he won it yet?"

Pretty much so.

He is destroying the field in the time trial, it's an incredible ride. And no one has ever lost the lead on the final road stage.

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

"Has he won it yet?

Pretty much so.

He is destroying the field in the time trial, it's an incredible ride. And no one has ever lost the lead on the final road stage."

i really hope he wins..... will be great to see.

Hope nothing goes wrong

By *edbagioMan  over a year ago

ripon

its like our 1966

in cycling greatest ever feat

by a brit 99 tdf only ever

one win touch wood

"deffo the most incredulous, in terms of sheer effort and determination.

IF it were a single race, with no team orders, he would have been pushed alot closer and ahrder by the lad cromer (sp) who came 2nd overall.

it was team orders not to take time, and wins, away from wiggins."

Errrrrr, cycling is very much a team sport...

Last rider to win it without a strongteam was Lemond back in 89 and that is very much an exception. Even in the days of Anquitel back in the 50's teams were built around the strongest riders.

By *abloBackMan  over a year ago

London

It's tradition that the leader starting tomorrows stage wins the tour. Let's hope our Bradley wins Olympic gold too

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

All the very best to him.... and the whole country will be behind him

mullinwire

"deffo the most incredulous, in terms of sheer effort and determination.

it was team orders not to take time, and wins, away from wiggins.

Errrrrr, cycling is very much a team sport...

Last rider to win it without a strongteam was Lemond back in 89 and that is very much an exception. Even in the days of Anquitel back in the 50's teams were built around the strongest riders."

i never said it wasnt a team sport.

i said if it wasnt, he would have been hard pressed by the lad finishing second.

"its like our 1966

one win touch wood"

Nah, Beijing was our 1966, unlike soccerball we've got more than one historical reference...

By *ucky_LadsCouple (MM)  over a year ago

Kidderminster+ surrounding areas.

a fantastic rider on the track in both the individual pursuit and team pursuit,won olympic golds and world championships too.

but such a pity bradley wiggins(and rebbecca romero)as reigning olympic pursit champions wont be able to defend their olympic titles on home ground in london 2012.

hope it wont drop our gold medal haul fall though.

[Removed by poster at 21/07/12 16:51:34]

"

but such a pity bradley wiggins(and rebbecca romero)as reigning olympic pursit champions wont be able to defend their olympic titles on home ground in london 2012.

"

What they've done to cycling in the Olympics is a disgrace. UCI and Verbruggen are more interested in sucking up to the IOC than sporting integrity. But to cut the events and then cut the number of competitors is inexplicable. I fear that 2016 could be the last time that track racing figures in the games.

There's a beautiful irony about Bradders potential win tomorrow.

Assuming the French don't sabotage it, or find some technical reason to disqualify him at the last minute (wouldn't put it past those bastards!!!), he will be the first Brit EVER to witn the Tour de France, in PARIS, in the year WE are staging the Olympics.

Now children, can anybody tell me the name of the city London BEAT THE ASS OFF to host the Olympics this year...??

That's right - PARIS!!!!

Suck that up, French 'personnes' everywhere!!!

(sorry for my jingoistic outburst, but some one had to point it out.....)

It get really angry when people go on about cycling is a team sport, Brad only won because he has the best team...

When Ronaldo or Messi score at football you get everyone saying the are genius' yet that is a team sport.

Today Brad put minutes into 190 odd of the best cycists in the world, no teams today, just him, riding at 49.5km/h for over an hour into a head wind.

Frankly greatest achievement ever, he declared his intention, came out in Feb, ticked every box, and people are still diluting his achievement...

Chris Froome has been amazing, but lets be clear, Dave Brailsford would have backed Chris Froome if he was the best, no sentiment, just hard fact. As he proved by picking Jason Kenny for Olympic sprint ahead of Chris Hoy.

End of Rant...

"It get really angry when people go on about cycling is a team sport, Brad only won because he has the best team...

When Ronaldo or Messi score at football you get everyone saying the are genius' yet that is a team sport.

Today Brad put minutes into 190 odd of the best cycists in the world, no teams today, just him, riding at 49.5km/h for over an hour into a head wind.

Frankly greatest achievement ever, he declared his intention, came out in Feb, ticked every box, and people are still diluting his achievement...

Chris Froome has been amazing, but lets be clear, Dave Brailsford would have backed Chris Froome if he was the best, no sentiment, just hard fact. As he proved by picking Jason Kenny for Olympic sprint ahead of Chris Hoy.

End of Rant..."

No one is diluting his achievement but cycling is very much a team sport. And without Froome, Porte and Rogers in particular, Wiggins might still have won but it would have been a much, much tougher ask.

mullinwire

"It get really angry when people go on about cycling is a team sport, Brad only won because he has the best team...

End of Rant..."

1 stage win doesnt make him a winner in the race, im afraid.

this one today is the ONLY one he has been alone.

the rest he has been aided, and supported by a very talented team around him

End of Rant...

the rest he has been aided, and supported by a very talented team around him"

Well the ONLY one he has been alone other than the 2 other individual time trials obviously...

mullinwire

End of Rant...

Well the ONLY one he has been alone other than the 2 other individual time trials obviously..."

ok, so 3.

do apologise.

didnt realise 3 stage wins would get you the tour win.

my bad for not keeping on top of things.

you dont really know anything about cycling or the tour de france do you?,hopefully after brads win with the added publicity you and the great british public will get to know more over the next few days so that you woill be fully up to speed on cycling for next saturday when the olympic road races start.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

My Sky team cycling shirt is so tight it makes my nipples look like tyre valves.....

mullinwire

"you dont really know anything about cycling or the tour de france do you?,hopefully after brads win with the added publicity you and the great british public will get to know more over the next few days so that you woill be fully up to speed on cycling for next saturday when the olympic road races start. "

is there a tour de france during the olympics then?

no?

then why would i need to know the ins and outs of the TDF to enjoy olympic cycling?

i have watched it the past few olympics.

dont be so bloody condescending

Well done to the man, a fantastic achievement

"My Sky team cycling shirt is so tight it makes my nipples look like tyre valves..... "

OMG I'd love to see that....

"... 1 stage win doesnt make him a winner in the race, im afraid. this one today is the ONLY one he has been alone. the rest he has been aided, and supported by a very talented team around him"
you can win the tour de france without winning a single stage,you just need to be consistent over the 3 weeks,in fact TDF has been won by riders winning only 1 stage of the race,now the olympic games is different entirely but we have a terrific team in the race this year with 4 tour de france stage winners plus the british champion ian stannard in our 5 man team.

mullinwire

"... 1 stage win doesnt make him a winner in the race, im afraid. this one today is the ONLY one he has been alone. the rest he has been aided, and supported by a very talented team around him you can win the tour de france without winning a single stage,you just need to be consistent over the 3 weeks,in fact TDF has been won by riders winning only 1 stage of the race,now the olympic games is different entirely but we have a terrific team in the race this year with 4 tour de france stage winners plus the british champion ian stannard in our 5 man team."

i know, hence i said stop being so condescending.

By *edbagioMan  over a year ago

ripon

"its like our 1966

one win touch wood

Nah, Beijing was our 1966, unlike soccerball we've got more than one historical reference...

"

this is far bigger tdf

olympics is pants to the giro or tdf

olympics is for athletics not golf /football/cycling

in my op

"My Sky team cycling shirt is so tight it makes my nipples look like tyre valves..... "

Pics?

"you dont really know anything about cycling or the tour de france do you?,hopefully after brads win with the added publicity you and the great british public will get to know more over the next few days so that you woill be fully up to speed on cycling for next saturday when the olympic road races start. "

The instant experts do amuse me. There were 2 columns in the Evening Standard yesterday that were cringeworthy in their lack of knowledge. I suspect that some of these experts will be asking why the sprinters in the Olympics are going so slow!

mullinwire

"you dont really know anything about cycling or the tour de france do you?,hopefully after brads win with the added publicity you and the great british public will get to know more over the next few days so that you woill be fully up to speed on cycling for next saturday when the olympic road races start.

The instant experts do amuse me. There were 2 columns in the Evening Standard yesterday that were cringeworthy in their lack of knowledge. I suspect that some of these experts will be asking why the sprinters in the Olympics are going so slow!"

oh no!

are you saying those that were teaching me everything about olympic cycling are wrong?

for their information, i know about time trials, sprints and so on.

the missus brother does it, as well as triathlons.

why is beyond me, but fair play to the mad yoke lol

Im sorry lovedup your comments are either,

1. based on a lack of understanding of cycling as a sport, and the nuances between the tour, one day races and the events at the velodrome.

or

2. a deliberate attempt to wind others up.

I have been involved in cycling for 25 years, and the lack of understanding of cycling as as a sport riles me.... I appreciate that as cycling gets more popular there is a learning curve but accusing people of being condescending isnt nice xx

mullinwire

"Im sorry lovedup your comments are either,

1. based on a lack of understanding of cycling as a sport, and the nuances between the tour, one day races and the events at the velodrome.

or

2. a deliberate attempt to wind others up.

I have been involved in cycling for 25 years, and the lack of understanding of cycling as as a sport riles me.... I appreciate that as cycling gets more popular there is a learning curve but accusing people of being condescending isnt nice xx"

how am i wrong by calling the poster condescending when they are purporting i know NOTHING about the sport?

my opinion about their condescention has nothing to do with my knowledge, or lack thereof, of the sport itself.

tell me where i am wrong, exactly?

the poster said i should learn about the TDF and then i would understand teh cycling at the olympics.

i merely stated, although in a humourus way, that it would not.

Can you show me which of your posts on this thread suggest that you know something about what you are talking about? Because to be honest when you deny knowing nothing there is very little evidence to back that up.

mullinwire

"Can you show me which of your posts on this thread suggest that you know something about what you are talking about? Because to be honest when you deny knowing nothing there is very little evidence to back that up."

i never posted anything to suggest i know anything about cycling, but to assume i dont vicariously is condescending.

"Brad's win is the greatest achievement ever by a British sports person.

Discuss..."

Brave man to have a 13/4 inch saddle cunning his cheeks in half and just as brave to wear the banana costume. Shit hot with the peddle power though!

5 golds in 5 olympics and 9 world titles takes some beating

Steve Redgrave

"5 golds in 5 olympics and 9 world titles takes some beating

Steve Redgrave"

Did he bollocks do that on a bike! Readgrave was far too fat to cycle!

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

am watching it, not knowing the rules or owt...

but nervous incase he crashes

good luck

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

does he have to finish in a certain position to secure it?

love the team spirit the sky team are displaying

thinks closest we ever got before was the raliegh team yonks ago... well done brad. took a few years to get there, but fantastic achievement!

let's see how Hoy & Co. do now

Wolf

Steve Redgrave"

Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

well done ... fantastic result

By *stwoCouple  over a year ago

anywhere

great result.

very goo result i had a feeling he was going to nail it and mark Cavendish was going to give him the support

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

every year as kids we had to watch this!! and even no i dont follow cycling much its one of the sporting events i have to watch, along with the marathon and worlds strongest man )

Well done Bradley, and Mark. Lets hope tey can inspire the next generation of cyclists just like Boardman and Hoy did (yes i know they didnt do TDF!!!)

mind you....it aint a cheap sport

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

if he wins the olympic time trial... it will have to be "sir brad"....

so looking forward to the olympic road race next saturday now... if Team GB can keep it together cav looks like he is on top form!

By *abloBackMan  over a year ago

London

Top champ

Gentleman

great stuff!,wiggo the ace face mod!.

fantastic lead out from yellow jersey in leading out world champ cav for a record breaking 4th win on champs elysees!.

it cannot get much better than this surely?,am looking forward to be in surrey early next saturday with my flag for olympic road race.

[Removed by poster at 22/07/12 16:42:08]

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

fucking Lesley Garratt!!!! ruined it!!!!!

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"fucking Lesley Garratt!!!! ruined it!!!!! "

probably cheaper than a band..

wiggins...awesome

You show me your nips I will show you my old fella in my Sky team lycra riding shorts

By *obsrocketMan  over a year ago

Loughborough

I think that had to be the best winners speech ever when Bradley opened with "first we are going to draw the raffle" and he insisted in doing his speech in English, out of respect to the thousands of British fans who have gone over to France to support him. Has to rate as one of the best British sporting acheivements ever.

Tonight is the first of our evening crit series since brads tour win,i wonder what the talk will be about on the warm up laps?.

Newcastle and Gateshead

I am debating on whether to go down on friday to see if I can get a spot somewhere on the route (pref near the top of box hill)

does anyone know how early they are closing off the roads... camping out isn't really my thing....

I think the closest thing you are going to be able to compare this olympic road race to from a pure cycling POV is going to be Milan-San Remo... longest "classic" on the road race schedule... and it is called the "sprinters classic" due to the amount of out and out sprinters that win it...

Cav won it in 2010......

if David Miller can marshall the team in a way that doesn't let any breakaways get too far ahead.... teams with sprinters will fancy it and work together... slovaks, germans, italians, australia and the US for sure....

as lead out men go.... stannard,froome,wiggins train for cav is going to take some beating....

Discuss..."

Nigel Mansell winning F1 and Indycar back to back - he won Indycar in his rookie year, got pole position AND won his very first Indycar race (nobody else has ever done that) and is the only person to have held both titles of F1 & Indycar Champion simultaneously.

~

Bannister's sub 4 minute mile.

~

Redgrave/Pinsent's multiple Olympic medals at successive games.

Fabio, Box Hill is ticketed.

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Fabio, Box Hill is ticketed."

bugger..... okay... plan b... is anyone in london going to the cycling cafe "look mum no hands".... they are bound to have it there on the big screen...

End of Rant...

Well the ONLY one he has been alone other than the 2 other individual time trials obviously...

ok, so 3.

do apologise.

didnt realise 3 stage wins would get you the tour win.

my bad for not keeping on top of things."

its all about aggregate timings over all the stages because some riders are experts in different disciplines. you dont have to win every stage to win the tour . its about consistency on 20 stages.

its like the mens decathlon. Daley Thompsom was shit at the longer distances and wouldnt 'win' each event but would be better than average at most of them and the best at a hand full.

Bradley did however smash the field in each of the time trials at which he is best and he was better than average on the stages where he is weakest like the big climbs, It ok going on about the team but you still need to keep up with them to stay in the pack or the other groups will pull away from you.

As to the OP... its difficult to say whether its the best ever by a brit because there have been many.

But it was fantastis acheivment and has really stoked up some enthusiasm for the olympics now.

"every year as kids we had to watch this!! and even no i dont follow cycling much its one of the sporting events i have to watch, along with the marathon and worlds strongest man )

Well done Bradley, and Mark. Lets hope tey can inspire the next generation of cyclists just like Boardman and Hoy did (yes i know they didnt do TDF!!!)

mind you....it aint a cheap sport "

oohhh sorry have to correct you there.

Boardman has done TDF and has won 3 stages and carried the yellow jersey 3 times...

but yes i hope it inspires more youngsters to cycle too

"Fabio, Box Hill is ticketed.

bugger..... okay... plan b... is anyone in london going to the cycling cafe "look mum no hands".... they are bound to have it there on the big screen..."

it was a right carry on for those that did get box hill tiockets!,they could not cope with the demand and went into meltdown!,i know hampton court palace is tickets only fot TT as it starts from there,but i am wondering about going there or richmond park as possible to see the outward leg and return!.

anyone know if tickets only?,otherwise there are areas with big screens tv to _iew like at esher and 3 other places.

your vies please.

Discuss..."

No there are others like Lenox Lewis, Bobby Moore, Jonny Wilkinson and many others who have equally achieved sporting greatness. For me it would go to Joe Calzaghe as he not only climbed the mountain but stuck there as Britain's only undefeated world champion.

i think bradle3y wiggins achievement is incredible because he came from being a world & olympic champion in a short distance event (4 kilometres)on the track that that took just over 4 minutes,then when his event was dropped from the olympic list and he could not defend his title in london 2012 he switched his attention to road racing in the tour de france and had a 4th place in 2009 then the win in a 2,200 miles event over 3 weeks!.

By *all VikingMan  over a year ago

co Durham

Steve Redgrave"

to be fair, Brad is already a multiply world title & olympic gold medalist.

having read through is, at points it gets a little bit bitchy....however

the point is that british cycling has thanks to dave brailesford exploded in the last few years. between cav winning the green jersey & world title last year (while on a different team (or had he gone to sky for the worlds?) along with 23 tdf stage wins & the last 4 back to back wins in paris & team skys & wiggins dominance during the tour & other races this year,

IT'S FUCKING IMMENSE is what it is, roll on the olympic road race, track, bmx et all......rest of the world? stand by!

bugger..... okay... plan b... is anyone in london going to the cycling cafe "look mum no hands".... they are bound to have it there on the big screen..."

Fabio, it will be on there. Screen inside and out And it's friendly enough that you'll be fine on your own. I'd love to join you but I'll be on a train relying on text updates - disastrous timing!

LMNH is a great place - I've watched several races there and the atmosphere is great. Amazing food there too

By *ashful BazMan  over a year ago

poole dorset

"Well done to the man, a fantastic achievement "

Certainly was.

"

I think the closest thing you are going to be able to compare this olympic road race to from a pure cycling POV is going to be Milan-San Remo... longest "classic" on the road race schedule... and it is called the "sprinters classic" due to the amount of out and out sprinters that win it...

Cav won it in 2010......

if David Miller can marshall the team in a way that doesn't let any breakaways get too far ahead.... teams with sprinters will fancy it and work together... slovaks, germans, italians, australia and the US for sure....

as lead out men go.... stannard,froome,wiggins train for cav is going to take some beating...."

I think it will have more in common with the Tour of Flanders. Most of the continental press are not expecting a bunch sprint. But the GB has some big engines and there are 30 miles to get it back together.

The brits are going to be on a massive mental high both from the tour and the fact they are racing at home. But, everyone else knows that too. Controlling a race with just 4 riders is going to be a huge ask. Lack of radios will also makes things interesting.

"I am debating on whether to go down on friday to see if I can get a spot somewhere on the route (pref near the top of box hill)

does anyone know how early they are closing off the roads... camping out isn't really my thing....

as lead out men go.... stannard,froome,wiggins train for cav is going to take some beating...."

FABIO...i have heard that the roads the race uses are being closed at 5.30 am on saturtday,roads leading on/off those be closed at that time too!.

am thinking of heading to richmond as the race goes through on out leg and return,am hoping thet got a big screen.

i think david millars experience as team captain is a hell of a move for us as is no race radios,the run from boxhill home to the mall should aid our lead out men as we have some big engines in there!.

If you do come down, you might want to know that the legend that is Eddy Merckx will be there on Sunday for the women's race.

bugger..... okay... plan b... is anyone in london going to the cycling cafe "look mum no hands".... they are bound to have it there on the big screen...

If you do come down, you might want to know that the legend that is Eddy Merckx will be there on Sunday for the women's race."

i think the olympic road race is the only race merckx never won!,finished about 12th 1964 and turned pro shortly after.

» Add a new message to this topic