FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Christianity is the biggest religion in the world.

Christianity is the biggest religion in the world.

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *hagTonight OP   Man  over a year ago

From the land of haribos.

I was interested to know on what place christianity came on and I was a bit surprised that it is nr1, the data was from the last year 2020, did you know it?

Here is the placings:

1 Christianity 2.4 billion 33%

2 Islam 1.8 billion 24.1%

3 Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist 4 1.2 billion 16%

5 Hinduism 1.15 billion 15%

It seems that atheists are not as big as it seems

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"I was interested to know on what place christianity came on and I was a bit surprised that it is nr1, the data was from the last year 2020, did you know it?

Here is the placings:

It seems that atheists are not as big as it seems "

Is that the numbers of people actually practicing the religion or just identifying as?

As lots say they are such and such, both never really go to church or anything.

I am agnostic myself, so there may be a higher being , may not be. Can’t prove either way. Does it matter to me? Not really!

I much prefer the oriental religions that are more philosophical, I’d rather much believe in the ocean and the stars and the wind. Than a cruel god that judges you. Just saying..

It's good that they all have something to believe in and follow. It's just a pitty that neither of them have any truth or scientific facts about them

"It's good that they all have something to believe in and follow. It's just a pitty that neither of them have any truth or scientific facts about them"

If it brings comfort , i guess. It just becomes very annoying when it becomes a domination game, or a finger pointing one judging others through religion. If you get what I’m saying...

I’ve witness the worst from people who went to church every Sunday....

Yes I know many so called Christians. The only time they attend church is for weddings and funerals.

It's similar to saying I support the Conservatives but don't vote.

Polls and statistics can be very misleading and pointless.

Fair play shag you do keep on plugging away at the whole god thing so kudos to you.

T

"I was interested to know on what place christianity came on and I was a bit surprised that it is nr1, the data was from the last year 2020, did you know it?

Here is the placings:

Is that the numbers of people actually practicing the religion or just identifying as?

As lots say they are such and such, both never really go to church or anything.

I am agnostic myself, so there may be a higher being , may not be. Can’t prove either way. Does it matter to me? Not really!

I much prefer the oriental religions that are more philosophical, I’d rather much believe in the ocean and the stars and the wind. Than a cruel god that judges you. Just saying.."

I am not sure. I think that it is identified as both there.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

If you look at the number who actively practice a religion, as opposed to just having it recorded on some paperwork, then the numbers would be vastly different.

By *ichaelangelaCouple  over a year ago

notts

"If you look at the number who actively practice a religion, as opposed to just having it recorded on some paperwork, then the numbers would be vastly different. "

^^ this

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"If you look at the number who actively practice a religion, as opposed to just having it recorded on some paperwork, then the numbers would be vastly different. "

Indeed. Both of us were christened so we'll be recorded as Christians probably but we aren't. Neither of us made the decision to be christened.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

Seeing as Christianity is a lot older than Islam I'm not surprised.

I have many memories of being forced to go to Sunday School! I mean school on a Sunday!!! The only good thing was there was somewhere there I really fancied.

East London

Maybe, but there are nations who are Muslim and don't really practice. Like Turkish people.

I know muslims who eat pork and don't go to mosque.

By *orthyorkypairCouple  over a year ago

North Yorkshire

"If you look at the number who actively practice a religion, as opposed to just having it recorded on some paperwork, then the numbers would be vastly different.

Indeed. Both of us were christened so we'll be recorded as Christians probably but we aren't. Neither of us made the decision to be christened."

Same here, I think this will apply to many

I was raised a Catholic, in a staunchly Catholic country. I'm now agnostic / atheist.

On one had, people who follow a religion are happier with their lot. It obviously gives them comfort and something to believe in, to hope for better days etc. So that's a positive for being religious.

The downside is how religions control and corrupt people. nobody believes automatically. It's is taught to them. They are told what to believe. My country of birth is slowly escaping the shackles of the Catholic church and is all the better for it.

While I don't believe in religion personally, I do believe that church and state should be completely separate and that church should hold no sway of policies and legislation. So secular all the way.

North Yorkshire

"If you look at the number who actively practice a religion, as opposed to just having it recorded on some paperwork, then the numbers would be vastly different.

Maybe, but there are nations who are Muslim and don't really practice. Like Turkish people.

I know muslims who eat pork and don't go to mosque.

"

agreed and many drink alcohol! think that is the point many of us were making, the figures are not the whole situation

"It's good that they all have something to believe in and follow. It's just a pitty that neither of them have any truth or scientific facts about them"

Is there any scientific fact about anything?

Or just theories?

By *iker BullMan  over a year ago

leeds

I wonder if the believers ,,,still believe in santa?

North Yorkshire

"I wonder if the believers ,,,still believe in santa?"

shhhhhhhh dont tell em he not real!!!!!!

By *unesMan  over a year ago

coast

Here is the placings:

Jedi?

"Fair play shag you do keep on plugging away at the whole god thing so kudos to you.

T"

Ty and yes I do that too

By *ohnny2006Man  over a year ago

worcester

Here is the placings:

Well in a lot of the world atheism will get you killed! But there is a lot of nuance in this. Religion is at it's core cultural. In that respect you judge what someone believes in but how they act not what they say.

Here is the placings:

Well in a lot of the world atheism will get you killed! But there is a lot of nuance in this. Religion is at it's core cultural. In that respect you judge what someone believes in but how they act not what they say.

"

For sure, many times you'll hear someone say that they were brought up X but don't practice. I think to many it doesn't factor into daily life.

worcester

"It's good that they all have something to believe in and follow. It's just a pitty that neither of them have any truth or scientific facts about them

Or just theories?"

This is the problem. Attempts at debunking religion from a scientific aspect is really cringey. It shows complete ignorance of what a belief system actually is as it's core.

100% of us have a belief system. Whether we say we do or not.

Cult + Time = Religion

Here is the placings:

Just wondering... Is this a dig at Atheists? Because I could go on for hours about the proof of science and evolution compared to the debatable argument of a "God".

Here is the placings:

"

But is religion cultural? If you considered someone of a christian denomination in Europe with a christian denomination in Africa or South America, do you think that the services would be the same?religion is practised culturally, yet at its core is similar if not the same in belief across the planet

By *adetMan  over a year ago

Ipswich

"It's good that they all have something to believe in and follow. It's just a pitty that neither of them have any truth or scientific facts about them

Or just theories?

This is the problem. Attempts at debunking religion from a scientific aspect is really cringey. It shows complete ignorance of what a belief system actually is as it's core.

100% of us have a belief system. Whether we say we do or not."

Yes but religions makes very fundamental claims about the nature of the universe and science has been brought to bare on those claims. Religion has had to retreat to the point where its adherents now have to use the word 'faith' in order to carry on believing

East London

As atheism isn't a religion would it be counted in a league table of religions?

worcester

Here is the placings:

But is religion cultural? If you considered someone of a christian denomination in Europe with a christian denomination in Africa or South America, do you think that the services would be the same?religion is practised culturally, yet at its core is similar if not the same in belief across the planet"

This is exactly what i am talking about. When i say cultural i mean universally.

The concept of religion is the following;

- Belief in free will

- Belief in an ideal/Self actualisation

- To judge and be judged by others

- The divinity of the individual

If there was such a thing as a truly atheist country then criminal justice systems would not exist because it would be considered that people would not have free will when they committed a crime. In countries where classical religions have disappeared they have merely been replaced with an alternative. In the west currently the most prominent religion in the media and public square is wokeism. In the 20th century it was nazism and communism.

People can't live without a belief system we are all hard wired to be religious.

East London

"As atheism isn't a religion would it be counted in a league table of religions?"

450-500 million according to Google.

That's without people who haven't recorded their religion, or lack of.

"Yes I know many so called Christians. The only time they attend church is for weddings and funerals.

Polls and statistics can be very misleading and pointless. "

98% are made up

By *ommo60Man  over a year ago

STOCKPORT

Religion..the cause of all the trouble is the world today ..and none of it can be proven

"Yes I know many so called Christians. The only time they attend church is for weddings and funerals.

98% are made up "

"Religion..the cause of all the trouble is the world today ..and none of it can be proven"

Religion itself isn’t the cause of war. How can a book of religious scripture , simply ink on paper cause a war?

Or if you are atheist and don’t believe in god then how can you say god causes wars if he doesn’t exist?

Religions and gods don’t cause war, what does is someone with an agenda who can manipulate people using religion or national fervour

to identify as a Christian you only have to believe in Christ (Jesus and such ... I would say God but that could be a case of well which God and your faith stopping pre Jesus is the basis of the Jewish faith i believe - same God but they don’t believe Jesus was his son)

Christianity is then carved up into a number of “churches” - catholic, evangelical, baptist, church of scotland, church of england, (not sure what the “protestant” version if these are outside of the UK) ... but you don’t gave to identify with ant of these churches to be a Christian

ps i used to be a catholic and now an atheist - as i got older and more educated i couldn’t reconcile religion with science , and when i moved to a non denominational school we were taught about all religions which was nice

East London

"Religion..the cause of all the trouble is the world today ..and none of it can be proven"

Resources are what cause most wars.

Being an atheist doesn't mean you don't know right from wrong or that you don't care about other people. Stephen Fry made a very good statement about atheism some time ago.

Here is the placings:

But is religion cultural? If you considered someone of a christian denomination in Europe with a christian denomination in Africa or South America, do you think that the services would be the same?religion is practised culturally, yet at its core is similar if not the same in belief across the planet

This is exactly what i am talking about. When i say cultural i mean universally.

- Belief in free will

If there was such a thing as a truly atheist country then criminal justice systems would not exist because it would be considered that people would not have free will when they committed a crime. In countries where classical religions have disappeared they have merely been replaced with an alternative. In the west currently the most prominent religion in the media and public square is wokeism. In the 20th century it was nazism and communism.

People can't live without a belief system we are all hard wired to be religious."

im confused by many things in your post

being an atheist does not mean you do not believe in free will

wokeism (is that even a word), nazism and communism are not religions ... the last 2 are political

By *hunky GentMan  over a year ago

near Chesterfield

"Religion..the cause of all the trouble is the world today ..and none of it can be proven

Religion itself isn’t the cause of war. How can a book of religious scripture , simply ink on paper cause a war?

Or if you are atheist and don’t believe in god then how can you say god causes wars if he doesn’t exist?

Religions and gods don’t cause war, what does is someone with an agenda who can manipulate people using religion or national fervour"

Your reply makes no sense.

Firstly - scriptures are the written basis of said religion. These written scriptures have caused more deaths in this world than anything else.

Secondly - his lack of belief in a god isn't what causes wars - it's the believer's faith that uses their religion to rage war on others, many of which are innocent.

Almost every religion is to blame for the deaths of other people especially Christianity and Islam.

Simple - ban religion - then most of the wars and deaths (using those beliefs) will disappear.

"Religion..the cause of all the trouble is the world today ..and none of it can be proven

Religions and gods don’t cause war, what does is someone with an agenda who can manipulate people using religion or national fervour

Firstly - scriptures are the written basis of said religion. These written scriptures have caused more deaths in this world than anything else.

Secondly - his lack of belief in a god isn't what causes wars - it's the believer's faith that uses their religion to rage war on others, many of which are innocent.

Almost every religion is to blame for the deaths of other people especially Christianity and Islam.

Simple - ban religion - then most of the wars and deaths (using those beliefs) will disappear. "

i can see what he is trying to say ... maybe a better wording would be faith does not cause wars but organised religion creates power and influence and money and greed and politics snd these things often lead to war

the genie left the bottle long ago though ... if you think banning religion wouldn’t cause more wars rather than stop it i think you are niave

[Removed by poster at 27/01/21 11:40:47]

Here is the placings:

Your post doesn't actually make sense..

I refer to 3 which has no figure after it and 4 which just says 1.2 billion 16%

worcester

Here is the placings:

- Belief in free will

People can't live without a belief system we are all hard wired to be religious.

im confused by many things in your post

being an atheist does not mean you do not believe in free will

wokeism (is that even a word), nazism and communism are not religions ... the last 2 are political "

Of course it does. Ask Sam Harris or Richard Dawkins, they both say they do not believe in free will.

They believe our actions are the result of our DNA plus experience. Therefore we cannot be held accountable for our actions and any negative actions are either caused by our DNA or things that happen to us or both.

So why do we have prisons? Why do we judge people? Why do both Dawkins and Harris judge people?

Free will is the belief that we are more than the sum of our parts. More than DNA + experience. It is the belief in the divinity of the individual, it is belief in a soul.

Everyone believes in free will regardless of what they say because they act as if it exists. Ergo 100% of people are religious.

near Chesterfield

"

the genie left the bottle long ago though ... if you think banning religion wouldn’t cause more wars rather than stop it i think you are niave "

I know my comment on banning religions would never happen, so I'm not niave. I was more trying to make a point.

Love and peace can be achieved without religion.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

[Removed by poster at 27/01/21 11:54:47]

Simple - ban religion - then most of the wars and deaths (using those beliefs) will disappear. "

I mean the point was simple, I have never seen a book pick up a gun... have you?

The second point was more philosophical in that if you don’t believe god exists then how, does god start wars?

"

the genie left the bottle long ago though ... if you think banning religion wouldn’t cause more wars rather than stop it i think you are niave

I know my comment on banning religions would never happen, so I'm not niave. I was more trying to make a point.

Love and peace can be achieved without religion. "

I agree, yet the two aren’t mutually exclusive either. Peace can exist with or without religion, dependant on socitey

near Chesterfield

"

I mean the point was simple, I have never seen a book pick up a gun... have you?

The second point was more philosophical in that if you don’t believe god exists then how, does god start wars?

"

It's the teachings of the book that gets people to pick those guns up.

You either haven't read what i said or you're trying to twist my words (badly).

King's Crustacean

"

Everyone believes in free will regardless of what they say because they act as if it exists. Ergo 100% of people are religious."

spiritual rather than religious .......

religion has a specific meaning.

If there was no religion, humans would still find other reasons to kill each other so that they can possess what the other has.

worcester

"

I agree, yet the two aren’t mutually exclusive either. Peace can exist with or without religion, dependant on socitey"

Yet people cannot exist witohut a religion. Friedrich Nietzsche said that we had 'killed god' in the west and it would be replaced by something much newer and so much much worse and it would play out in the 20th century.

And it did. Nazism and Communism. Both religious belief systems.

King's Crustacean

Here is the placings:

Shag. How was this data compiled ?

Were those who are practising counted OR , as I suspect, are these simply the combined populations of countries perceived to be following a certain religion?

worcester

"

Everyone believes in free will regardless of what they say because they act as if it exists. Ergo 100% of people are religious.

religion has a specific meaning."

Yes it does and this seems to have gone over the heads of people in this thread. So I will say it again. Religion means;

- Belief in free will

- Belief in an ideal/self actualisation

- To judge and be judged

King's Crustacean

"

I agree, yet the two aren’t mutually exclusive either. Peace can exist with or without religion, dependant on socitey

Yet people cannot exist witohut a religion. Friedrich Nietzsche said that we had 'killed god' in the west and it would be replaced by something much newer and so much much worse and it would play out in the 20th century.

And it did. Nazism and Communism. Both religious belief systems."

Political systems.

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

People can have faith without attending formalised events in a building. Many practise their beliefs in their own homes as it suits them and as they are free to do in some countries or away from authoriries where they are restricted or Forbidden.

worcester

"

Political systems. "

No they were not 'just' poltical. The both created an ideal in the USSR it was Stalin and in Nazi Germany it was Hitler. They required every single person to pursue an idealistic version of themselves and to judge others for not living up to them. They were both religions.

And for those that believe wars will magically disappear if religion were to be abolished, the precedents have already been set. Genghis Khan, Alexander the Great and Mzilikazi slaughtered more human beings in their campaigns than every other conflict put together, before them and after them, with no religious connotations whatsoever. All purely for the acquisition of wealth and power.

"

Love and peace can be achieved without religion. "

i agree that love and peace dont need religion

i was more thinking the action of trying to remove religion would probably cause the biggest war of all

"

It's the teachings of the book that gets people to pick those guns up.

You either haven't read what i said or you're trying to twist my words (badly).

"

I mean Im not trying to purposefully twist your words, and I apologise if that is how it comes across.

You see religious scriptures as only containing verses which pertain to violence yet overlook

“God abhors any disturbance of peace!” (2:205) From the Quran

“God is not a god a god of disorder but a god of peace” 1Corinthians 14:33A from the bible/torah

The very Jewish greeting of Shalom means peace

I guess you find what you go looking for

near Chesterfield

"

i agree that love and peace dont need religion

i was more thinking the action of trying to remove religion would probably cause the biggest war of all "

I cannot argue with you there.

I can but wish we could.

"

Yes it does and this seems to have gone over the heads of people in this thread. So I will say it again. Religion means;

- Belief in free will

- To judge and be judged

"

i am not sure where you got this definition. it might be what it “means to you” but the oxford english dictionary defines religion as

“the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods”

and that is where your argument that we cannot exist without religion falls down - i do it every day

King's Crustacean

"

- Belief in free will

- To judge and be judged

"

The phrase 'gone over your heads' implies that people can't understand what you say.

I understand what you say , however my understanding of what a religion is differs from yours and I don't have to insult to hold on to my belief unless i am faced with evidence to the contrary.

You may say it as many times as you wish what you describe is not a religion... perhaps it could be from Buddhism.

A religion requires devotion to a 'god'

Nazis were Christians.

I accept that the Nazi Party were successful in influencing the Christian churches but this does not make Nazism a religion.

The Nazification of Christian Germany doesn't alter the fact that Nazism was simply a racial ideology.

King's Crustacean

"

- Belief in free will

- To judge and be judged

i am not sure where you got this definition. it might be what it “means to you” but the oxford english dictionary defines religion as

“the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods”

and that is where your argument that we cannot exist without religion falls down - i do it every day "

King's Crustacean

"

Political systems.

No they were not 'just' poltical. The both created an ideal in the USSR it was Stalin and in Nazi Germany it was Hitler. They required every single person to pursue an idealistic version of themselves and to judge others for not living up to them. They were both religions. "

No. That is not a definition of a religion.

King's Crustacean

Not all ideologies are religions.

I'll settle for cult if you like.

King's Crustacean

Here is the placings:

Shag..... what was number 4

People can have faith without attending formalised events in a building. Many practise their beliefs in their own homes as it suits them and as they are free to do in some countries or away from authoriries where they are restricted or Forbidden. "

That is right too .

Here is the placings:

Shag..... what was number 4 "

It was hinduism. I mixed up the number there.

King's Crustacean

Thanks Shag......

It matters not really. You have said that one third of the world are Christian....... in my book that means that two thirds are not.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Jesus Christ on a bike Shag, I think you've got some kinda fixation on all this religious malarkey!

I'm agnostic by the way

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

There's nothing wrong with loving everyone as equals and wanting the best for all in the world, however it's dressed up.

Good people rock, whoever they are and whether religiously active or not

By *adame 2SwordsWoman  over a year ago

Victoria, London

We must be due for a census soon, that's always fun.

[Removed by poster at 28/01/21 00:04:17]

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Doc has got hyperactive fingers ^

I think there is an interesting way of looking at Christianity through an integral perspective. Christianity is evolving towards an integral approach analyses, what is best from earlier interpretations of the Gospels, places those interpretations in their historical context, while clearing up the context of the myths so there’s room for the development of significantly different understanding and practices.

Religion evolves as humans evolve. Spirituality and associated ways of expressing religion have evolved tremendously throughout human history, growing up through a number of major stages of psychological and cultural development. Paul Smith in his book Integral Christianity: Spirit’s Call To Evolve identified the stages as Tribal, Warrior, Traditional, Modern, Post-modern, and Integral.

Religion is just as capable of being rational as science, just as both have their own myths and superstitions. Dismissing religion as hocus locus because of its mythic roots is akin to disregarding modern science and medicine because of its roots in alchemy, phrenology, trepanning and leeching.

Much of the suffering in the world can be attributed to a lack of understanding of how humans, their consciousness, their behaviour as organisms, their cultures, communities, collective world-views, social systems, networks and environment evolve interdependently.

Unfortunately because rational versions of religion are relatively recent and somewhat rare most people arrest their spiritual development and growth at earlier stages which creates all sorts of shadow issues so reason doesn’t shine its light on the archaic and mythic beliefs of most religious people, creating lots of inner conflicts, shame, guilt and hypocrisy.

Paul Smith describes the evolution as, “Christianity began in Palestine as an experience, it moved to Greece and became a philosophy, it moved to Italy and became an institution, it moved to Europe and became a culture, and it moved to America and became a business! We’ve left the experience long behind.” An integral approach to any religion, including Christianity focuses on direct experience, because mystical experience is what inspired the religions in the first place. We now have the scientific methods to study the brain patterns of meditators and can triangulate their experiences through peer review and humanistic and transpersonal approaches to human inquiry and research

Focusing on experience and the associated practices, is the equivalent of performance a ban experiment using our minds and bodies as the microscope to see the experience through. By doing so we can all do empirical research on spirituality and internal experiences, by following the scientific method.

Form a null hypothesis and an alternative hypothesis - create a plan to experiment

Conduct the experiment using a particular spiritual practice

Have a direct experience and record what you experience

Study the results of your experiment and experience looking for evidence that either confirms or disconfirms your null hypothesis or alternative hypothesis by checking with others who have also conducted the experiment

And decide whether you have had a spiritual experience, need to modify your practice or abandon it.

There is now a large amount of confirming evidence for the existence of psychic, subtle, causal and non-dual experiences, particularly through studying dream states. The phenomenon of Kundalini, Qi (Chi) or subtle energies if you prefer an English term are now well established with scientific rigour to which I can attest, via direct personal experience of a subtle energy awakening.

Religion and spirituality is not just our past, we are evolving towards Spirit and the sooner we all awaken to it the sooner our concerns might be allayed for human life, peace, eradication of poverty, starvation, conservation of other species, and a planetary climate that would support human and animal life. While religion and politics remain at the tribal, warrior and traditional stages of evolution and modern science denies Spirit, the longer we will continue to fragment our world and create more suffering. We are all called to grow up, wake up, clean up and show up for the good of all. After all we are all one, everything is one, it always has been and always will be. We just need to see it, as Meandering Minx says in her profile, with new eyes. Our own Eye of Spirit.

"Doc has got hyperactive fingers ^"

A few typos I needed to correct. Or was that you just showing off your psychic hindsight

By *dsindyTV/TS  over a year ago

East Lancashire

Am not religious at all, not even in the fox hole. To me, all it has ever done is cause turmoil, conflict and pain. It has been used to suppress people, to steal from them and to torment them, here on this planet, with the promise of a better life after. It has been used to make sure that the earls, barons, princes and kings kept a tight grip on the wealth of nations. It has been used to cajole men into sacrificing their lives in untold millions. It has been used to promote racism, sexism, genderism, homophobia and to allow innocent children and their mothers to perish. For something that is supposed to promote love, tolerance, compassion and forgiveness....its track record is pretty fucking shit.

You want to practice a religious belief? You do that. Just remember the blood and death that any religion is founded on.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Doc has got hyperactive fingers ^

A few typos I needed to correct. Or was that you just showing off your psychic hindsight "

You should get Genguy (Iain) to proof read your posts before you press send

By *rying2niteMan  over a year ago

Egremont

Personally, i think all religion is a crock of shit, but as far as I'm concerned, if it gives someone comfort to believe in god/ Buddha/allah/ satan/ odin etc, then that's fine, and it's not up for question...he /they exist.....(as long as they dont try to convince me)

By *alking HeadMan  over a year ago

Bolton

How far down the league are Jedis?

"Personally, i think all religion is a crock of shit, but as far as I'm concerned, if it gives someone comfort to believe in god/ Buddha/allah/ satan/ odin etc, then that's fine, and it's not up for question...he /they exist.....(as long as they dont try to convince me)"
religion is the biggest scam ever....

Does anyone hear the church giving money to the needy ones...

Nope...faith is just a way for them to take your money ...

By *aughty Nas xxxMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

Here is the placings:

Just wondering... Is this a dig at Atheists? Because I could go on for hours about the proof of science and evolution compared to the debatable argument of a "God". "

something cannot come from nothing ..you being here proves there is something ...hence that something must have a cause ....that cause is a creator or belief system .

0+0 will never give you 1

Mankind is the cause of all the trouble in the world today.

Anything we are given for good use, we use it as a weapon.

Here is the placings:

Just wondering... Is this a dig at Atheists? Because I could go on for hours about the proof of science and evolution compared to the debatable argument of a "God".

something cannot come from nothing ..you being here proves there is something ...hence that something must have a cause ....that cause is a creator or belief system .

0+0 will never give you 1 "

Me being here proves there is something; my parents.

"Seeing as Christianity is a lot older than Islam I'm not surprised.

"

So where does Judaism come on the list...?

By *reeneggsandsamMan  over a year ago

Perpignan and cap

They all want banning! Religion is just a way to control the weak.

"Doc has got hyperactive fingers ^

A few typos I needed to correct. Or was that you just showing off your psychic hindsight

You should get Genguy (Iain) to proof read your posts before you press send "

But then you wouldn’t have got the full force of my verbal stream of consciousness in the face. Don’t you just love watersports

"Am not religious at all, not even in the fox hole. To me, all it has ever done is cause turmoil, conflict and pain. It has been used to suppress people, to steal from them and to torment them, here on this planet, with the promise of a better life after. It has been used to make sure that the earls, barons, princes and kings kept a tight grip on the wealth of nations. It has been used to cajole men into sacrificing their lives in untold millions. It has been used to promote racism, sexism, genderism, homophobia and to allow innocent children and their mothers to perish. For something that is supposed to promote love, tolerance, compassion and forgiveness....its track record is pretty fucking shit.

You want to practice a religious belief? You do that. Just remember the blood and death that any religion is founded on."

Indeed the tribal, warrior and traditional religions have a bloody and heinous past as has humanity. We still have a bloody and heinous present because about 90% of the population of the planet are at pre-conventional and conventional stages of consciousness evolution. Less than 10% have evolved to post conventional stages and have about 1% of the power. That is shifting as we speak though. The bloody and heinous past and present will only be our history when we open ourselves up to the mystery of Spirit and turn the mystery into my story and your story,

Here is the placings:

0+0 will never give you 1 "

We have the tools to research the mystery, but the answer is within us, first...

Love has no opposites, Spirit is in everything and in nothing. We need to conduct our research to experience it

[Removed by poster at 28/01/21 06:56:14]

Here is the placings:

0+0 will never give you 1

We have the tools to research the mystery, but the answer is within us, first...

Love has no opposites, Spirit is in everything and in nothing. We need to conduct our research to experience it "

Evolution and science are not the disproof of ‘God’ they are the key to discovering the Omega point. We have tried to disprove god through researching exteriors. Now is the time to research our interiors

Can anyone post me towards a religion where men and women are treated equally, where each gender can rise to the highest ranks without restriction, and where all sexual orientations and identities are welcomed and respected?

Just one will do...

By * Sophie xTV/TS  over a year ago

Derby

"Can anyone post me towards a religion where men and women are treated equally, where each gender can rise to the highest ranks without restriction, and where all sexual orientations and identities are welcomed and respected?

Just one will do..."

I think you may have to go interstellar to find that....Good luck and godspeed Mr spaceman

Tin town

"Can anyone post me towards a religion where men and women are treated equally, where each gender can rise to the highest ranks without restriction, and where all sexual orientations and identities are welcomed and respected?

Just one will do..."

I'm certainly no expert but Buddhism maybe? I'm sure there are some out there...if you're genuinely interested in sure you can find one. If you're just picking the scab... Doesn't really matter to you does it?

Just one will do...

I'm certainly no expert but Buddhism maybe? I'm sure there are some out there...if you're genuinely interested in sure you can find one. If you're just picking the scab... Doesn't really matter to you does it? "

im not sure this is the case even in buddhism... there are a number of temples women are not allowed to enter just for the fact they are “unclean” humans that menstruate

"Can anyone post me towards a religion where men anI'm certainly no expert but Buddhism maybe? I'm sure there are some out there...if you're genuinely interested in sure you can find one. If you're just picking the scab... Doesn't really matter to you does it? "

My point was, and I'm fairly certain that this the case, there is no religion that fulfils all the criteria.

"Can anyone post me towards a religion where men anI'm certainly no expert but Buddhism maybe? I'm sure there are some out there...if you're genuinely interested in sure you can find one. If you're just picking the scab... Doesn't really matter to you does it?

My point was, and I'm fairly certain that this the case, there is no religion that fulfils all the criteria. "

Baha’i faith has equality

Tin town

"Can anyone post me towards a religion where men anI'm certainly no expert but Buddhism maybe? I'm sure there are some out there...if you're genuinely interested in sure you can find one. If you're just picking the scab... Doesn't really matter to you does it?

My point was, and I'm fairly certain that this the case, there is no religion that fulfils all the criteria. "

Are you an expert on the 1000s of religions out there? I'm not.. But I wouldn't profess to know about them so defer to your knowledge. More to the point... Is it something you are seeking for your spirituality and well being or is just trying to make a point about religion.?

For me.. As long as it doesn't negatively impact me or mine... I'm very happy for people to believe what brings them happiness and comfort.

Just one will do..."

Yes any form of integral spirituality

"They all want banning! Religion is just a way to control the weak. "

This is why I like the weekend, Sunday is a day of rest.

So where does Judaism come on the list...?"

Shag, where are the Jews on Top of the Pops?

Just one will do...

I think you may have to go interstellar to find that....Good luck and godspeed Mr spaceman "

May the force be with him.

Tin town

So where does Judaism come on the list...?

Shag, where are the Jews on Top of the Pops?"

Splitters

"It's taught to them" so how does that work for people who were not bought up religious and did not have it taught to them, but adopted a religion in later life. My brother did that. I went to a funeral and the clergyman was a Methodist Priest who worked in nuclear physics but gave it up when he adopted a faith.

'When men choose not to believe in God, they do not thereafter believe in nothing, they then become capable of believing in anything.' G.K. Chesterton

By *ony2269Man  over a year ago

Radcliffe

Aw my religion of the Church Of the Flying Spaghetti Monster wasn’t on the list.

I need to convert more people to Pastafarinisn!

Worship ‘His Noddley Goodness!’

By *ony2269Man  over a year ago

Radcliffe

And to answer the OP.

To quote Louis CK - Christianity has already won.

If you don’t believe me. What year is it?

We are literally counting the seconds since the birth of Jesus. Not Buddha, not Mohammad, or Ra or Odin or anyone else.

Yes. There are Jewish and Chinese years. But try writing that on a cheque or any legal document

By *oopaandchampersCouple  over a year ago

St Johns

Love Hawking's quote on God...time started with the big bang...prior to that there was no time .......therefore no time for a creator.

"Love Hawking's quote on God...time started with the big bang...prior to that there was no time .......therefore no time for a creator."

Before the Big Bang was nothingness. Absolute nothingness and infinite potentiality. What is that is what God is?

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

I think religion is a search for meaning. I think people can seek meaning however they like - but that that should not intrude on others.

I also think other people's search for meaning has no bearing on what I believe to be meaningful or true.

Where we need to make decisions about others, we should rely on things which can be tested, observed, proven, or at least best estimates agreed among the greatest minds.

"I think religion is a search for meaning. I think people can seek meaning however they like - but that that should not intrude on others.

I also think other people's search for meaning has no bearing on what I believe to be meaningful or true.

Where we need to make decisions about others, we should rely on things which can be tested, observed, proven, or at least best estimates agreed among the greatest minds."

We can research interior data and exterior data at both the individual and collective level, using both qualitative and quantitative research methods, that includes spiritual experiences.

The numbers for 2020 are slightly different on Wikipedia (List of religious populations):

1 Christianity 2.38 billion 31.1%

2 Islam 1.91 billion 24.9%

3 Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist 1.2 billion 15.6%

5 Hinduism 1.16 billion 15.2%

I'm not sure where a league table gets us though. Most religious people are culturally religious - I daresay there are a handful of Brazilians who read an article about the Church of England and thought, "Where do I sign up", but most people in the C of E are likely there because they were brought up in England, or somewhere England conquered back in the day. If you were born in Israel or Syria say, it might be a different story.

Most people of whatever religion just call themselves that and don't want to be bothered too much by it in their normal lives apart from maybe a feast day or two. But if few are out murdering, stealing etc you might say that's a pretty good argument for people having some positive belief system, even if it's not religious. The only problem is that many religions are about power over people, particularly women.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"I think religion is a search for meaning. I think people can seek meaning however they like - but that that should not intrude on others.

Where we need to make decisions about others, we should rely on things which can be tested, observed, proven, or at least best estimates agreed among the greatest minds.

We can research interior data and exterior data at both the individual and collective level, using both qualitative and quantitative research methods, that includes spiritual experiences. "

The term I've heard is non-overlapping magisteria

By *ockosaurusMan  over a year ago

Warwick

"How far down the league are Jedis?"

Jedi are still a long way down.

1.5% of the New Zealand population are Jedi. That's 53,000 people!

We can research interior data and exterior data at both the individual and collective level, using both qualitative and quantitative research methods, that includes spiritual experiences.

The term I've heard is non-overlapping magisteria "

Yes that is the differentiated approach of a relativist approach. However an integral approach recognises that interior phenomenon have an exterior manifestation and rather than them being non-overlapping links at the phenomena through different lenses but with an integral perspective.

The term I've heard is non-overlapping magisteria

Yes that is the differentiated approach of a relativist approach. However an integral approach recognises that interior phenomenon have an exterior manifestation and rather than them being non-overlapping links at the phenomena through different lenses but with an integral perspective.

"

Looks at the phenomena

I notice that the Humanist Society is currently advertising regarding the new UK census. They're saying when you get to the religion question, put what religion you are now NOT what you were brought up with. They're suggesting that there's a lot more people with no religion about and this should be reflected in the census results.

By *ausageNmashCouple  over a year ago

Andover

Here is the placings:

Thank god for that !

Here is the placings:

Thank god for that ! "

Which one?

"I notice that the Humanist Society is currently advertising regarding the new UK census. They're saying when you get to the religion question, put what religion you are now NOT what you were brought up with. They're suggesting that there's a lot more people with no religion about and this should be reflected in the census results."

Some government funding is shared out according to the census figures for religious beliefs. I didn’t put Jedi on the recent census for exactly that reason.

By *orksRockerMan  over a year ago

Bradford

I'm sure EVERYONE thought that the sun revolved around the earth for long enough... Doesn't make them right OP.

"Some government funding is shared out according to the census figures for religious beliefs. "

It's not done the way you're suggesting. The census allows the government to evaluate their policies of equal opportunities. Public money can then be used to sort out where there is disadvantage. Religious organisations don't receive a cheque each; they already receive tax benefits.

» Add a new message to this topic