FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Mosquitoes......

Mosquitoes......

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Well have to say i didnt think they were much of a problem in this country but whilst at a pub last night we were attacked by fookin loads of them and bloody huge as well !!!

I was ok as for some reason they dont like me but the ladies got bitten severely !! Im guessing it has to be all the wet weather and then the heat ?? Anyone else had any hassle with them and whats the best deterent ??

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *uyuksno1Man  over a year ago

poole

yes down south in bmth too we have all been bitten we find aloe vera on the legs or anything lemon based like boots lemon cologne helps and keeps them away u can also get those plug ins aswell we have one in lounge and kitchen and one in each bedroom and they have been brilliant so far x

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Avon skin so soft is meant to be good at repelling them

Im lucky as they don't like the taste of me

I've suffered from mossie bites all my life. When I was a kid I was in France and bitten so badly I have to have anti-histamine jabs at the hospital - the staff estimated that I had over 150 bites on me

Everyone has their own remedies, but I have found that eating marmite daily, or taking brewer's yeast vitamin B tablets are an effective prevention. Also, Deet, which is the chemical in anti-mossie sprays. Different brands have different strengths but Superdrug's extra strength is probably the best with a 50% Deet content. Also, non-drowsy anti-histamine tablets help reduce the itching if you do get bitten.

By *iceguydaveMan  over a year ago

Monmouth

"I was ok as for some reason they dont like me but the ladies got bitten severely !!

"

Interesting you say this - I've noticed that mossies tend to be put off by yeast (something in the odour maybe?) so whenever I've been around them, make sure I drink plenty of beer, and they avoid me. If you were on beer and the ladies on whatever brightly coloured concoction is trendy this week (!) that might be why!

Sounds like an excuse to get bladdered, but it honestly seems to work.. And it's got to be worth a try anyway

By *iceguydaveMan  over a year ago

Monmouth

"Everyone has their own remedies, but I have found that eating marmite daily, or taking brewer's yeast vitamin B tablets are an effective prevention. "

A-ha! Yeast again! I knew I wasn't imagining it

By *ummy mummyWoman  over a year ago

southampton-ish

every summer I ask myself the same question when the sun goes down and I have to close all the windows to stop the mossies and various other flying monstrosities from flying around my lounge...why oh why do houses here in the Uk not have screens on the windows?My kids freak out at those big flying daddy long legs so even in the heat we have been having I have had to keep all the windows upstairs closed at night.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

They like the taste of me sadly...

I will pass on the marmite tip though, but can understand the logic, even mosquitoes won't go near it !

Very interesting reading guys and girls !! Seems a big problem !!

I have now come up with a cool idea which am currently looking at developing.....

Basically a mobile app that emits the sound of mosquitoes natural predators just switch on and keep them away Am also thinking of putting a panic button on for wasp attacks for families so if they get attacked they can hit the button ( a short cut on their home screen ) and it sends out a sound that frightens them off ?

Also people can take their phones abroad and use them as repellents

We think its a great idea what do you think guys ??

By *ercedes62Woman  over a year ago

Northampton

If abroad i usually get eaten alive but i found that taking the vitamin B tablets about three weeks prior to travel and while your away really works.

I have even had an infected foot while away due to a mozzie bite

Also been told that wearing perfume does attract them.

Apparently all the soldiers use avon skin so soft,the forrest fresh one, I have just ordered some on recommendation of a few people on my facebook, so will let you know how it goes because those little things love me!

By *ooking to lickCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

Over the last few nights I have been bitten to death. As a result I have ordered the Vermatik Eliminator. This is a war I am going to win. lol

Also burn some citronella candles or burning oil that repells most bugs that bite ( obviously cant do this while your asleep though )

"Also burn some citronella candles or burning oil that repells most bugs that bite ( obviously cant do this while your asleep though )"

use a net over your bed then..

"Also burn some citronella candles or burning oil that repells most bugs that bite ( obviously cant do this while your asleep though )

use a net over your bed then.. "

Or the skin cream i recommended earlier lol

[Removed by poster at 27/07/12 10:44:41]

"Very interesting reading guys and girls !! Seems a big problem !!

I have now come up with a cool idea which am currently looking at developing.....

Basically a mobile app that emits the sound of mosquitoes natural predators just switch on and keep them away Am also thinking of putting a panic button on for wasp attacks for families so if they get attacked they can hit the button ( a short cut on their home screen ) and it sends out a sound that frightens them off ?

There already is an app you can get that emits the sound of male mossies which apparently deters females when their in a feeding mood. I've got it on my galaxy. You can also buy plug-in emitters for about £7 which are very effective."

Oh well there goes my idea lol but still gonna look at developing it anyway

We think its a great idea what do you think guys ?? "

There already is an app you can get that emits the sound of male mossies which apparently deters females when they're in a feeding cycle. I've got it on my galaxy. You can also buy plug-in emitters for about £7 which are very effective.

There already is an app you can get that emits the sound of male mossies which apparently deters females when their in a feeding mood. I've got it on my galaxy. You can also buy plug-in emitters for about £7 which are very effective.

Oh well there goes my idea lol but still gonna look at developing it anyway "

They're also very good at repelling teenagers! Google "mosquito device" and you'll see.

There already is an app you can get that emits the sound of male mossies which apparently deters females when their in a feeding mood. I've got it on my galaxy. You can also buy plug-in emitters for about £7 which are very effective.

Oh well there goes my idea lol but still gonna look at developing it anyway

They're also very good at repelling teenagers! Google "mosquito device" and you'll see."

Lol ok will take a look lol !

Got bit out by the lake last night twice on the legs by the pesky things... blood was running down my legs from the bite and I was pulling them off me as they settled. All this wet must have sent the numbers into overdrive!

And they itch like fook today.

I got bit a month ago on my ankles at night and copped an infected bite with cellulitis of the foot - wonderful!

Wolf

By *eavy Metal BallzMan  over a year ago

Birmingham

Whilst working abroad we were give an insect repellant that would melt the plastic parts of the tools we used!

But it kept the all sorts of nasty little buggers away, which is good because the little feckers seem to love me.

Use a repellent with deet in it and rub it in, even if its a spray on type. It wont work unless you do.

[Removed by poster at 27/07/12 12:08:18]

avon skin so soft -- WORKS

"avon skin so soft -- WORKS"

It does indeed! I'm usually a mossie buffet table during the warm evenings. Last night I showered and used Avons Skin SoSoft dry spray oil on my damp skin. Not only am I lovely and soft today Im also bite less... and I sat out for 3 hours last night

By *aceytopWoman  over a year ago

from a town near you

Avon skin so soft it DOES work

get the green one though not the pink one

iv been useing it for years

Avon know it works but are not allowed to market it as a mossie repelant

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

Carrying a woman with thrush around is a good deterrent

not been bitten yet.. hopefully it will stay that way

Cool have to get some.just started selling avon ill have to let

peple know lol

Sam

Thanks, I've just ordered the Avon stuff I have a couple of big itchy bites, that seem to get itchier when I want to sleep!

I've tried Avon Skin So Soft, and I have to say it had no affect on me whatsoever. This next paragraph is from a medical product review site:-

"There is much internet chat, and even a rumour that it is used by many soliders, suggesting that Avon’s Skin So Soft is an effective insect repellent, though Avon makes no such claims.

There is even a website – which isn’t connected with Avon at all – that sells it as an insect repellent.

We thought we’d see if the rumours were true – sadly they are not. It may keep your skin super soft, but did not do much to deter the mozzies."

By *ooking to lickCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

Just ordered two bottles of skin so soft. Its only £1.99 at the moment.

They like to come to clean and smelling nice folk

By *exki11enWoman  over a year ago

Bristol

Lots of talk about mozzies, but I (touch wood) haven't seen any yet as they like me. Having said that, I escaped in Egypt too, even though they're currently having the worst mozzie season they've ever seen....

Women tend to get bitten more than men as mozzies are attracted to estrogen.

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

"Lots of talk about mozzies, but I (touch wood) haven't seen any yet as they like me. Having said that, I escaped in Egypt too, even though they're currently having the worst mozzie season they've ever seen....

Women tend to get bitten more than men as mozzies are attracted to estrogen. "

If I was a mozzie I would be nibbling on those all the time

» Add a new message to this topic