FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Fatally Flawed

Fatally Flawed

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I hope this message is allowed as it is non-swinging related but I feel I need to get this message out to as many people as possible.

It is regarding the use of 'childproof' electrical socket covers in widespread use throughout the UK and the inherant dangers of these things. They are NOT SAFE at all, as they bypass the built-in safety mechanisms of all UK electrical sockets, which have internal shutters to prevent children poking things into the live terminals. UK plugs have a longer Earth pin so that the earth point in a socket is engaged before the shutters are opened to allow the live and neutral pins to engage. Socket covers open the shutters to the L & N terminals, and because they are so poorly designed they allow a determined child to poke things behind them and into the live terminals.

I'm not asking you to take my word for it at face value so please google 'fatally flawed' and click the first link that appears and watch the short video. These things are classed as 'toys' by manufacturers in order to circumvent stringent British Standards regarding electrical products.

Ofsted state that they do not mark down schools or nurseries that use these dangerous things but the nursery we send our child to told us that the Ofsted inspector WOULD mark them down if they didn't fit them.

Thank you,

Wishy.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ameyrichardsTV/TS  over a year ago

vale royal

"I hope this message is allowed as it is non-swinging related but I feel I need to get this message out to as many people as possible.

It is regarding the use of 'childproof' electrical socket covers in widespread use throughout the UK and the inherant dangers of these things. They are NOT SAFE at all, as they bypass the built-in safety mechanisms of all UK electrical sockets, which have internal shutters to prevent children poking things into the live terminals. UK plugs have a longer Earth pin so that the earth point in a socket is engaged before the shutters are opened to allow the live and neutral pins to engage. Socket covers open the shutters to the L & N terminals, and because they are so poorly designed they allow a determined child to poke things behind them and into the live terminals.

I'm not asking you to take my word for it at face value so please google 'fatally flawed' and click the first link that appears and watch the short video. These things are classed as 'toys' by manufacturers in order to circumvent stringent British Standards regarding electrical products.

Ofsted state that they do not mark down schools or nurseries that use these dangerous things but the nursery we send our child to told us that the Ofsted inspector WOULD mark them down if they didn't fit them.

Thank you,

Wishy."

Told all my family and friends about this ages ago, and an ones house I go to who has these gets told as. We have THE safest electrical sockets in the world, that far exceed anyone elses safety regulations

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

thank u Wishy will bring this up within the forum that I work within xx

By *acreadCouple  over a year ago

central scotland

It is shocking that they can call them toys and that gets them round the safety aspect.

First I have heard of this we were going to get a load as we have a grandkid now who is a few weeks old so would like to get something real soon.

Do you know of any alternative Wishy?

By *bfoxxxMan  over a year ago

Crete or LANCASTER

Whenever I look on the forum Wishy always has something to say, or a good view or opinion.

UK sockets have always been like that, and we have all survived.

You have to teach kids not to mess with things.

You cannot 'nanny state' everything.

EU countries have no protective shutters, sockets and often washing machines are in the bathroom.

I am all for safety, keep up the good work.

vale royal

"It is shocking that they can call them toys and that gets them round the safety aspect.

First I have heard of this we were going to get a load as we have a grandkid now who is a few weeks old so would like to get something real soon.

Do you know of any alternative Wishy?"

Hi there, you DO NOT need anything. In order for someone to hurt themselves with a UK socket, you have to insert something into the earth pin at the top in order to "unlock" the live & neutral shutters at the bottom, they are completly safe with nothing blanking them out.

Try it for yourself, try pushing someting into either of the bottom slots and you will find that you can't (unless the socket is faulty).

Jamey

central scotland

I know there is a safety device on the socket but my mates boy did manage to push a screwdriver in and blew the electrics mind you that was quiet a few yrs ago.

vale royal

If he was able to do that them the socket itself must have been faulty or something was pushed in the earth slot as well.

You can easliy check if any of your sockets are faulty, just go round with someting NON metallic and try and push into each of the bottom slots on all your sockets. If you can, get your sockets changed ASAP, if not keep your grandchild safe, leave the sockets alone.

central scotland

Ty for the advice, my brother is actualy an electrician and will have him have a look.

vale royal

"It is shocking that they can call them toys and that gets them round the safety aspect.

Do you know of any alternative Wishy?"

You don't need an alternative as UK sockets have safety shutters inside them that can only be opened when the longer earth pin is pushed in first. Obviously children shouldn't be left alone at floor level sockets but the safety of UK sockets gives you enough time to grab them and get them away from the sockets if it looks like they're about to stick something in them. No system is infallible though.

central scotland

As you say I dont think he would ever be left in such a way that he could do so anyway but the safer is obviously better.

I've emailed Ofsted but they say it's not in their remit to either approve or disapprove of these socket covers and passed it on to CAPT and/or RoSPA, so I thought, "Sod this!" and emailed the Office of the Prime Minister directly. At least someone in No.10 will get to read it.

By *inkyScot22Man  over a year ago

Anniesland

Hmm... what about sawing off (or otherwise removing) the Earth Pin on the socket cover?

By *b430Man  over a year ago

Tayside

"Hmm... what about sawing off (or otherwise removing) the Earth Pin on the socket cover?"

Without the earth pin on the cover you wouldn't be able to get the other 2 pins to go into the socket.

[Removed by poster at 27/07/12 18:15:08]

By *hite SnakeMan  over a year ago

leeds

"I've emailed Ofsted but they say it's not in their remit to either approve or disapprove of these socket covers and passed it on to CAPT and/or RoSPA, so I thought, "Sod this!" and emailed the Office of the Prime Minister directly. At least someone in No.10 will get to read it. "

I work in education and have tried for years to rid our school of them. The ROSPA site advises not to use them but Ofsted insist on them being used.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 27/07/12 18:25:41]

"I've emailed Ofsted but they say it's not in their remit to either approve or disapprove of these socket covers and passed it on to CAPT and/or RoSPA, so I thought, "Sod this!" and emailed the Office of the Prime Minister directly. At least someone in No.10 will get to read it.

I work in education and have tried for years to rid our school of them. The ROSPA site advises not to use them but Ofsted insist on them being used."

It seems that official Ofsted policy is that it doesn't have a policy for or against them but that doesn't appear to have filtered down to it's inspectors. There is a clear lack of information at ground level when a particular school or nursery is being inspected and you'd do well to download a copy of Early Years: Inspection & Regulation Sept 2011 and show the inspector Page 11.

http://bit.ly/PGX0Do (shortened URL pointing to ofsted.org.uk, hope it's ok)

» Add a new message to this topic