FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Go Left

Go Left

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ornucopia OP   Man  over a year ago

Bexley

Throughout today I've kept hearing a government sponsored jingle about 'going left if your car breaks down on the motorway'.

They've left out the line saying "and run like hell because we've taken away the hard shoulder".

What the hell are they playing at?

Trying to place the onus for survival on the motorist following the ill-conceived Smart Motorway initiative?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The current government don't need to encourage me to go left.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

I'm still struggling to know what I'm meant to do. Do I get my wheelchair out and my 4yo or do I hope I don't fall over in lane 1 when my leg gives way?? Anyway, hoping dearly I don't ever have to make that decision

By *aptain PeteMan  over a year ago

stamford

If you don't no what to do then maybe a taxi would be a vetter use of transport. Although smart motorways are now liked by the public if used properly are very good at elevating congestion. The problem is lazy Ness in concentration and driving ability.

"The current government don't need to encourage me to go left."

I said exactly this to Ash yesterday.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

Is that the ad with Jack Boswell in a car and the bugs on his windscreen singing Go Left to the tune of Go West?

East London

I think it's so people don't stop in the middle lane when they break down. Gotta keep the traffic moving.

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

"Is that the ad with Jack Boswell in a car and the bugs on his windscreen singing Go Left to the tune of Go West?

"

Yes, it's on the radio daily and is very annoying.

I hate driving on motorways because of the lack of hard shoulder, would be bloody scary to break down now

By *allySlinkyWoman  over a year ago

Leeds

"if used properly are very good at elevating congestion. "

Isn't elevated congestion a bad thing ?

By *ob Carpe DiemMan  over a year ago

Torquay

Catchy isn't it, heard it a dozen times before I looked to figure out what it was advertising, so probably not a success

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

"The current government don't need to encourage me to go left."

Exactly. I think somebody should be encouraging the government to move a bit to the left.

"I think it's so people don't stop in the middle lane when they break down. Gotta keep the traffic moving."

This happened to me on the M1 a few years ago. It was rush hour near Sheffield in a 50 mph zone and there was no way I could have crossed 2 lanes of bumler to bumper traffic to get to the hard shoulder. The police had to come and rescue me.

By *ornucopia OP   Man  over a year ago

Bexley

"...Although smart motorways are now liked by the public ..."

Have the blighters commissioned a PR firm to come up with that mitigating 'fact'?. nothing like a cleverly worded question to elicit the desired answer!

The other usual trick, of course, is to change the name when a bright idea needs forgetting.

"Throughout today I've kept hearing a government sponsored jingle about 'going left if your car breaks down on the motorway'.

They've left out the line saying "and run like hell because we've taken away the hard shoulder".

What the hell are they playing at?

Trying to place the onus for survival on the motorist following the ill-conceived Smart Motorway initiative?"

This was my first thought when works started near me a couple of years ago. Pre-covid I commuted on the M4 daily and have had to use the hard shoulder once or twice. Not having that option is scaring the fuck out of me.

By *superfuse663Man  over a year ago

manchester

Think the idea of it is to encourage people to get across the lanes, full breakdowns are fairly rare nowadays. The smart motorway's detect this, sensors every 10 meters or so and flash up on the matrix signs alerting other motorist.

East London

"Is that the ad with Jack Boswell in a car and the bugs on his windscreen singing Go Left to the tune of Go West?

Yes, it's on the radio daily and is very annoying.

I hate driving on motorways because of the lack of hard shoulder, would be bloody scary to break down now "

It's on my Angry Birds game every bloody minute, and it lasts 30 seconds. I turn the sound off and put my phone down until it finishes.

East London

"I think it's so people don't stop in the middle lane when they break down. Gotta keep the traffic moving.

This happened to me on the M1 a few years ago. It was rush hour near Sheffield in a 50 mph zone and there was no way I could have crossed 2 lanes of bumler to bumper traffic to get to the hard shoulder. The police had to come and rescue me."

I'm so glad I don't drive now.

» Add a new message to this topic