FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > DIY

DIY

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I always try to do things around the house myself, then I fuck it up and end up paying more to fix it haha

Anyone else do this? I think it shows strength of character, giving it a go.

I’m currently YouTubing “how to plaster walls” hahaha

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *hunky GentMan  over a year ago

near Chesterfield

"I always try to do things around the house myself, then I fuck it up and end up paying more to fix it haha

I’m currently YouTubing “how to plaster walls” hahaha "

Plastering is a bit of an art.

Try a small area first. See if you have the gift.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

are you going to use the stretchy fabric type or the blue plastic hygenic ones?

"I always try to do things around the house myself, then I fuck it up and end up paying more to fix it haha

Try a small area first. See if you have the gift. "

I’m a bit cack handed, I can see me making a mess. It looks so easy haha

Try, try and try again.

near Chesterfield

[Removed by poster at 30/07/21 12:28:57]

near Chesterfield

I’m a bit cack handed, I can see me making a mess. It looks so easy haha "

Are you trying to fill a crack (no pun intended) or a full wall?

By *inkysexpotMan  over a year ago

leeds

Takes a bit of practice plastering and alot of it is in the prep and mixing the plaster...cant fault you for wanting to have a go at doing it, practice makes perfect

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

I'm more of an ideas person. It's taken me nearly 2 weeks to decorate my front room because of the heat.

Are you trying to fill a crack (no pun intended) or a full wall? "

Full wall - eek

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

Some things yes but plastering no it makes no sense unless doing a small repair. Carpet fitting is another , pointing , big fencing jobs, driveways , fitting doors, anything gas, certain electric , the people that do these have the proper tools and skills through practice and gas/elec needs paperwork

"Takes a bit of practice plastering and alot of it is in the prep and mixing the plaster...cant fault you for wanting to have a go at doing it, practice makes perfect "

I think this but my friends think I’m crazy haha

"I'm more of an ideas person. It's taken me nearly 2 weeks to decorate my front room because im on heat. "

For gods sake woman… leave it alone for a few minutes!!!

"I'm more of an ideas person. It's taken me nearly 2 weeks to decorate my front room because of the heat. "

I nearly died taking down my wallpaper last week. Thought I was going to combust

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"I'm more of an ideas person. It's taken me nearly 2 weeks to decorate my front room because im on heat.

For gods sake woman… leave it alone for a few minutes!!!"

. Git

near Chesterfield

Are you trying to fill a crack (no pun intended) or a full wall?

Full wall - eek "

I'd suggest doing it in small thin sections. A spare wet trowel will help smooth it off.

No. But one day I'll get properly into upcycling furniture. Always wanted to try.

Okay if you’re skimming, work away from the plaster, if you’re rendering work into it.

near Chesterfield

"Takes a bit of practice plastering and alot of it is in the prep and mixing the plaster...cant fault you for wanting to have a go at doing it, practice makes perfect

I think this but my friends think I’m crazy haha "

Oh - we know you're crazy.

Dubai

"Takes a bit of practice plastering and alot of it is in the prep and mixing the plaster...cant fault you for wanting to have a go at doing it, practice makes perfect

I think this but my friends think I’m crazy haha "

I made the mistake once of letting a family friend do some who was just starting out. It was hot and his mixes kept going off, he was obviously inexperienced with timing and was a smoker , it was a disaster like he’s been chucking rice pudding at my wall

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

We try to do everything ourselves. Mostly pretty successfully. The only thing we haven't done here is put the bathrooms in. I think though that we'd get a tradesman to plaster an entire wall.

By *otSoPoshWoman  over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

Plastering is a dark, dark art.

By *otSoPoshWoman  over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

"Plastering is a dark, dark art."

I'm pretty darn good at most jobs around the house when I get motivated. But plastering.... hell no

By *inkysexpotMan  over a year ago

leeds

Nothing wrong with a bit of crazy haha

Give it a go....whats the worse that can happen?

Oh yea be prepared for mess, it is very messy even though the professionals make it look easy

It looks really easy on YouTube!

So did replacing the radiator and that ended up with a flooded bathroom and a broken floor tile! Haha

By *elle xWoman  over a year ago

Doire Theas

Yes I do I’m very independent and hate asking for help and it’s fun learning how to fix things

Just read my status I f&£king hate DIY sparks wannabe’s !! If I survive this persons work I will have had a result! I’ve just been thrown across the room. We are so expensive and it can’t be that hard? Well that’s my arm fooked tingling ain’t in a nice way.

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

The trick with plastering is to give it time. Get the plaster on as quick as you can then get it flat while the plaster is soft. Don't worry about trying to get it smooth at this stage, you'll never get rid of the tool marks and will waste time. Once the wall is covered, use big sweeping strokes to get an even thickness, still ignoring the trowel marks.

Have a cuppa.

By this time the plaster should be stiffening up so now you can work on removing the worst marks - some prefer to have a new mix to hand for this stage, for me this depends on the size of the wall, on a small wall I won't bother, maybe just mix a bit of fresh water in, on a big wall its a lot easier.

The harder the plaster gets the finer the finish you can get but also the harder it is to remove deep imperfections. Don't waste time trying to get a good finish on a soft patch and miss the fact that another section is going off faster. Walls never go of at the same speed all over unless you have a single sheet of plasterboard with no joints, even then the edges will go off before the middle. Concentrate on the stiffer bits (oooh eeerrrr) with just an occasional sweep over the rest to keep an eye on it and slowly get the finish better.

You won't get your final finish until its really hard (again, oooh eeeerrr) so no point in chasing small trowel marks until then.

Good luck - it's a very satisfying skill to teach yourself.

Mr

do 8t plasterings easy, only two rules always use clean water and don't rush. X

"The trick with plastering is to give it time. Get the plaster on as quick as you can then get it flat while the plaster is soft. Don't worry about trying to get it smooth at this stage, you'll never get rid of the tool marks and will waste time. Once the wall is covered, use big sweeping strokes to get an even thickness, still ignoring the trowel marks.

Have a cuppa.

By this time the plaster should be stiffening up so now you can work on removing the worst marks - some prefer to have a new mix to hand for this stage, for me this depends on the size of the wall, on a small wall I won't bother, maybe just mix a bit of fresh water in, on a big wall its a lot easier.

The harder the plaster gets the finer the finish you can get but also the harder it is to remove deep imperfections. Don't waste time trying to get a good finish on a soft patch and miss the fact that another section is going off faster. Walls never go of at the same speed all over unless you have a single sheet of plasterboard with no joints, even then the edges will go off before the middle. Concentrate on the stiffer bits (oooh eeerrrr) with just an occasional sweep over the rest to keep an eye on it and slowly get the finish better.

You won't get your final finish until its really hard (again, oooh eeeerrr) so no point in chasing small trowel marks until then.

Mr"

I feel like even I can plaster now after reading that!

I’ve plastered for years, but I still can’t manage taking part of the plaster off the hawk without the other part sliding off in one fluid movement, so I put the lot on on in one go, so any real plasterer knows I’m faking it, but I get the same results in the end, just don’t look quite as professional.

Swansea

"Some things yes but plastering no it makes no sense unless doing a small repair. Carpet fitting is another , pointing , big fencing jobs, driveways , fitting doors, anything gas, certain electric , the people that do these have the proper tools and skills through practice and gas/elec needs paperwork "

Agree with the carpet fitting-Il hate it. The rest I'll happily do though only done gas once when fitting a new boiler and paid for someone to test and certify before turning on the supply.

Electric pisses me off, I've been working on industrial equipment for years before the brought in Part P or whatever its called.

Mr

Swansea

"I’ve plastered for years, but I still can’t manage taking part of the plaster off the hawk without the other part sliding off in one fluid movement, so I put the lot on on in one go, so any real plasterer knows I’m faking it, but I get the same results in the end, just don’t look quite as professional. "

Mix is too runny?

Mr

"The trick with plastering is to give it time. Get the plaster on as quick as you can then get it flat while the plaster is soft. Don't worry about trying to get it smooth at this stage, you'll never get rid of the tool marks and will waste time. Once the wall is covered, use big sweeping strokes to get an even thickness, still ignoring the trowel marks.

Have a cuppa.

Mr"

Wow!! Thankyou, great advice!!!

Dubai

"Some things yes but plastering no it makes no sense unless doing a small repair. Carpet fitting is another , pointing , big fencing jobs, driveways , fitting doors, anything gas, certain electric , the people that do these have the proper tools and skills through practice and gas/elec needs paperwork

Agree with the carpet fitting-Il hate it. The rest I'll happily do though only done gas once when fitting a new boiler and paid for someone to test and certify before turning on the supply.

Electric pisses me off, I've been working on industrial equipment for years before the brought in Part P or whatever its called.

Mr"

Yep everyone i know ignores the part P for home work , you need it even to change a light fitting. I do the work if I know exactly what I’m doing but I wouldn’t fit a consumer unit, electric shower or rewire a section of wall

Lol. No but I’ve recently paid for an electrician cause I was too scared (or sensible) to touch them and is now costing me hundreds to bring someone else in to fix the fuckups of the first one!!

I should have just gone to YouTube and done myself like everything else!

I can usually turn my hand to most things, but plastering is definitely an art.

Plastering is a skill, not a diy project and my strong advice would be don't! You'll waste a lot of time and energy without getting close to a professional finish.

If you're interested in learning then buy some plaster board, fix to an outside wall or wooden frame in good weather and practice away.

Yeah I know I’m full scope been doing domestic since an apprentice, then commercial and industrial. Part p is a joke in my view as any one can go into Screwfix or B&Q and buy everything to re-wire a house. It should be that you need to prove your qualified to get the gear. I have to have professional indemnity insurance which even when I give up the trade I have to keep running for 7 years after my last job. I have had people say won’t do plumbing because if it leaks it makes a mess, happy to electrical? You can’t see it, smell it unless it’s that bad it has caught fire but it will kill you lol. Sorry rant over just feeling bruised and blessed that I didn’t get anything worse.

By *litlickinggoodMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

Good alrounder but also been in joinery business for last 20 years , and jobs needs doing or help with just ask me

» Add a new message to this topic