FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Wtf is Neurodiversity?

Wtf is Neurodiversity?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

"Judy Singer, a sociologist who has autism, started using the term "neurodiversity" in the late 1990s. It refers to the concept that certain developmental disorders are normal variations in the brain. And people who have these features also have certain strengths." (WebMD)

People who are neurodivergent might have Autism, ADHD/ADD, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia or another learning disability. I have kids with autism and also suspect I may have ADD so it's been on my mind. AND I'm fascinated by the implications that neurodiversity has for society. Anyone else?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

I'm dyslexic as is one of my children.

I highly suspect I have ADHD too. I've known for years my brain doesn't function like most other people's. And it can be a source of frustration but also one of my strengths. It's not something I think I'd choose for my children, but it's something I'm aware of and give them the help I never had, even if it is just understanding adult to talk to.

By *aliceWoman  over a year ago

Birmingham

Nerurodiversity is just a position that people on the autistic spectrum (primary use but other conditions gall under the umbrella) should be seen and treated as normal human beings and included and integrated in mainstream society.

This includes making sure we understand and accommodate how to help then achieve their potential, and how me make them feel safe, supported, understood and acceptedz

and stop making them feel that they're somehow 'less than'.

It's a very, very positive move towards more inclusive language and less ableist attitudes.

By *torm in a double g cupWoman  over a year ago

somewhere near you

My youngest child has learning difficulties..now diagnosed with neurodiversity..and still can't get him the help he needs..

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Nerurodiversity is just a position that people on the autistic spectrum (primary use but other conditions gall under the umbrella) should be seen and treated as normal human beings and included and integrated in mainstream society.

This includes making sure we understand and accommodate how to help then achieve their potential, and how me make them feel safe, supported, understood and acceptedz

It's a very, very positive move towards more inclusive language and less ableist attitudes."

Perfectly put.

By *heonix_flamesWoman  over a year ago

Midlands

Inattentive ADHD here.

By *enm83Man  over a year ago

Stockport

Aspergers here, or if I didn't want to admit to it, would just say I'm on the spectrum..

ADHD dyslexic (very mild) and dyspraxic here. Not a fan of the term neurodivergent however a girl I lived with at uni has autism and lots of other things and she loved it and always self identified as that. Me I just laugh and tell people I’m a bit of a clumsy cow. We don’t need to wear our diagnoses as a badge of honour imo.

It must be linked to neuroscience

""Judy Singer, a sociologist who has autism, started using the term "neurodiversity" in the late 1990s. It refers to the concept that certain developmental disorders are normal variations in the brain. And people who have these features also have certain strengths." (WebMD)

People who are neurodivergent might have Autism, ADHD/ADD, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia or another learning disability. I have kids with autism and also suspect I may have ADD so it's been on my mind. AND I'm fascinated by the implications that neurodiversity has for society. Anyone else? "

As you know I’m fascinated by how the human brain work and in particular the conscious and subconscious mind.

People who are neurodivergent are no different it’s just their brain works in a slightly different way to what is seen as normal brain functions. The truth while they may struggle which certain expectations placed on them by society they do have unique skills that should be encouraged.

We all naturally have strengths and weakness which so much emphasis being placed on the weaknesses rather than strengths. For neurodivergent people I believe we should identify what makes them unique and strengthen that

La la land

"ADHD dyslexic (very mild) and dyspraxic here. Not a fan of the term neurodivergent however a girl I lived with at uni has autism and lots of other things and she loved it and always self identified as that. Me I just laugh and tell people I’m a bit of a clumsy cow. We don’t need to wear our diagnoses as a badge of honour imo. "

I didn't have my dyslexia diagnosis until I was writing up my PhD. Until then I just thought I was a bit thick. Now I'll tell people I'm dyslexic, like my boss because it's impacts on how quickly I can complete a task, especially reports. I can do them to a high standard but I will take longer than someone without dyslexia. Oh and I tell anyone who jumps in my car because I need plenty of warnings of left or right turns.

I think the more it's spoken about the more normal it becomes. And then people wouldn't feel thick for asking for modifications as I did until fairly recently.

"I'm dyslexic as is one of my children.

I highly suspect I have ADHD too. I've known for years my brain doesn't function like most other people's. And it can be a source of frustration but also one of my strengths. It's not something I think I'd choose for my children, but it's something I'm aware of and give them the help I never had, even if it is just understanding adult to talk to. "

Did you find it easier once you knew what the issue was for you? I feel this is where a label is helpful because then you can tap into resources for you and your child(ren). What strengths do you feel you have because "your brain works differently"? I'm reeling a little from just realising how long this has been going on so I'd love to hear that.

"Nerurodiversity is just a position that people on the autistic spectrum (primary use but other conditions gall under the umbrella) should be seen and treated as normal human beings and included and integrated in mainstream society.

It's a very, very positive move towards more inclusive language and less ableist attitudes."

I agree - I was kinda surprised when I looked up the definition to see just how much reframing it is. I always avoid the word "normal" but seeing "variation of normal" - it made me feel happy. If that makes any sense!

"ADHD dyslexic (very mild) and dyspraxic here. Not a fan of the term neurodivergent however a girl I lived with at uni has autism and lots of other things and she loved it and always self identified as that. Me I just laugh and tell people I’m a bit of a clumsy cow. We don’t need to wear our diagnoses as a badge of honour imo.

I didn't have my dyslexia diagnosis until I was writing up my PhD. Until then I just thought I was a bit thick. Now I'll tell people I'm dyslexic, like my boss because it's impacts on how quickly I can complete a task, especially reports. I can do them to a high standard but I will take longer than someone without dyslexia. Oh and I tell anyone who jumps in my car because I need plenty of warnings of left or right turns.

I think the more it's spoken about the more normal it becomes. And then people wouldn't feel thick for asking for modifications as I did until fairly recently.

"

Gosh we sound similar. I’m doing an English degree. I only found out I had dyslexia when I was doing my diploma. I can write and do academic writing but as you say it takes me a while and I need a proof reader. I also struggle with directions haha it’s partly why I don’t drive.

I let employers and academia know purely because I get DSA so get all the proof reading software. I also get to use a dictaphone in lectures as I will walk out and forget half of it. The joys of an adhd brain. Im usually thinking about 5 things at once. It’s exhausting.

Love how similar we are x

"My youngest child has learning difficulties..now diagnosed with neurodiversity..and still can't get him the help he needs.."

I'm sorry. I've been told 3 diagnoses for my kids and each time.."you're on your own". Shouldn't be this way! Are you in touch with any orgs that can provide you with some support? Or even FB groups can be great.

La la land

I highly suspect I have ADHD too. I've known for years my brain doesn't function like most other people's. And it can be a source of frustration but also one of my strengths. It's not something I think I'd choose for my children, but it's something I'm aware of and give them the help I never had, even if it is just understanding adult to talk to.

Did you find it easier once you knew what the issue was for you? I feel this is where a label is helpful because then you can tap into resources for you and your child(ren). What strengths do you feel you have because "your brain works differently"? I'm reeling a little from just realising how long this has been going on so I'd love to hear that. "

I did find it easier once I understood why it was I struggled with some things like essays etc. Although by the point of diagnosis I had adapted for uni, I used diagrams and bullet points to limit how much I'd have to write in exams.

I can overfixate on things so I am your stereotypical scientist geek. And I approach problems differently to my colleagues who are more written/word driven. Where I see things in like pictures. So when planning experiments I can see issues which may not be obvious if it is planned on paper.

It hasn't stopped me from achieving but I can suffer from burn out, especially when I've had to write long reports. If I have a report I'll make sure I'm doing lab work after to give my brain a rest.

Did you find it easier once you knew what the issue was for you? I feel this is where a label is helpful because then you can tap into resources for you and your child(ren). What strengths do you feel you have because "your brain works differently"? I'm reeling a little from just realising how long this has been going on so I'd love to hear that.

I did find it easier once I understood why it was I struggled with some things like essays etc. Although by the point of diagnosis I had adapted for uni, I used diagrams and bullet points to limit how much I'd have to write in exams.

I can overfixate on things so I am your stereotypical scientist geek. And I approach problems differently to my colleagues who are more written/word driven. Where I see things in like pictures. So when planning experiments I can see issues which may not be obvious if it is planned on paper.

It hasn't stopped me from achieving but I can suffer from burn out, especially when I've had to write long reports. If I have a report I'll make sure I'm doing lab work after to give my brain a rest.

"

This . I have had so much support for uni and note taking. Unfortunately I’m doing an English degree which requires a lot of reading and unless I’m interested in the book I tend to zone out lol. I get burn out. So bad. I have ME too which doesn’t help. I tend to sleep loads when I get overwhelmed or reach burn out.

There seems to be many people on the spectrum, no doubt many more undiagnosed.

So what I don't understand is why it's labelled different.

What is 'normal'? Clearly normal is very diverse.

La la land

This . I have had so much support for uni and note taking. Unfortunately I’m doing an English degree which requires a lot of reading and unless I’m interested in the book I tend to zone out lol. I get burn out. So bad. I have ME too which doesn’t help. I tend to sleep loads when I get overwhelmed or reach burn out.

"

I love literature but I couldn't do it as a degree. That's why science suits me, the articles are relatively short so I can manage to concentrate long enough to read them. Plus I can go hide in a lab for a bit on a microscope by myself. The burn out and feeling overwhelmed is what I struggle with the most.

By *torm in a double g cupWoman  over a year ago

somewhere near you

"My youngest child has learning difficulties..now diagnosed with neurodiversity..and still can't get him the help he needs..

I'm sorry. I've been told 3 diagnoses for my kids and each time.."you're on your own". Shouldn't be this way! Are you in touch with any orgs that can provide you with some support? Or even FB groups can be great. "

same my son seen by 2 Ed physiologists blah blah needs this that put in place ..truly slipped thru the net

By *ecretlivesCouple  over a year ago

FABWatch HQ

It's a very, very positive move towards more inclusive language and less ableist attitudes.

Perfectly put. "

Better still the term should come to represent the reality - a term that identifies the subtle variations in us *all* on a continuum that is the result of evolutionary pressures. Our environment has shifted radically. When considering biodiversity we do not judge a plant that cannot cope with modern exhausted soil as flawed, so why should neurodiversity have a different meaning.

Always lacked confidence in my writing skills and have never been much of a reader, could never concentrate for long enough.

Its why I never acheived academically.

By *ixi n DogCouple  over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

"There seems to be many people on the spectrum, no doubt many more undiagnosed.

"

Nobody is 'normal', we all have traits that could put us somewhere on the spectrum. Problems only arrive when those traits in individuals make it difficult for said individuals to integrate into society.

My own personal thoughts are we are seeing more and more people diagnosed with spectrum 'disorders' because society is changing and there is a massive narrowing of roles.

I'll use this as an example. I have a family member who I'm pretty sure would be diagnosed with dispraxia, ADHD and dyslexia if he was a kid now. Just like his daughter has been.

He left school at 15 with no qualifications but walked into a greenkeeping job at a golf course and worked there for 35 years.

Tmes change and it became a requirement for him to have a driving licence to keep working there for insurance purposes, because tractor driving was a huge part of his job. That was him finished, and now he's unemployable and on the scrap heap.

By *ilverjagMan  over a year ago

swansea

I wasn't diagnosed as being dyslexic, with cross lateral dominance till after I left school. In my day, in the eyes of the dozy, half baked teachers because I was a slow reader, with atrocious hand writing, getting letters back to front, b's as d's, p's as q's etc, I was simply thick! But, once I discovered what the problem was, did I ever make up for it afterwards! With a determination to succeed like no other. It's why I don't get involved in chat rooms because, by the time I've typed something, checked the spelling and grammar, the subject has moved on to something else.

Now that I've identified that my grandson has the same condition, I attend parents evenings with him and his mum, and believe me, I'm not the most popular guy as I politely inform members of the teaching profession that it's perhaps they who require educating, and it's not where you start out in this game of life that matters, it's where you end up that counts. Take heart those of you who have kids with similar conditions that there is hope, and with encouragement they are very likely to find a niche at which they excell, and capitalise on it.

La la land

To parents who are struggling to get their kids diagnosis. I wholeheartedly sympathise with you all, it's such a difficult process.

But you're all doing a fantastic job, you're listening to your children and encouraging them to be the best they can be. Sometimes just having someone understanding and not feeling thick is the most important thing.

"Inattentive ADHD here. "

And do you view yourself as neurodivergent with additional strengths? I suspect inattentive ADHD is what I've been struggling with for..more years than I can remember. Were you diagnosed as an adult?

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

Wales

My youngest son has been diagnosed with ASD. It was a long struggle to get him correctly diagnosed (was previously told it was dyspraxia, then it wasn’t etc) and it has been a long, long process to get to panel and that was before Covid but we received his official diagnosis in September this year. The relief was immense.

His speech was severely effected but with the amazing help of Speech & Language Therapy he can now make himself understood and has worked so hard to get that far - I’m super proud of him. He still garbles when excited but he can now correct himself. He tends to talk at you rather than engage in conversation as such, and is very, very, blunt and everything is very much black & white with him but honestly he is just a delight to be around, although you have to keep one eye open as he has no sense of danger at all.

I am biased but to see the world through his eyes is a joy.

His School and their Educational Psychologist have been truly amazing, supportive and accommodating to his needs and have put up with my emails chasing the diagnosis process along.

What the future holds for my boy I don’t know, but we will take it one step at a time.

I’d just say hang on in there - the diagnosis process can be long and disheartening at times.

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

I'll know it when I find it.

This is me posting so I can remember to come back to this post and find it more easily. Sending love to all the neurodiverse fabbers and those with neurodiverse children and loved ones.

If you're interested in ADHD, I can't recommend Gabor Mate's book Scattered Minds enough. It's amazing.

Ooh and Sari Solden

"Aspergers here, or if I didn't want to admit to it, would just say I'm on the spectrum.."

That's fair enough! You don't need to say anything at all, if you don't want to. Do you feel you have strengths related to your Aspergers?

By *enm83Man  over a year ago

Stockport

"Aspergers here, or if I didn't want to admit to it, would just say I'm on the spectrum..

That's fair enough! You don't need to say anything at all, if you don't want to. Do you feel you have strengths related to your Aspergers? "

I feel like I have to explain why I have routines, an obsessive nature and struggle with communication and relationships. But at the same time, I'm very well informed, I have got better at empathy and understanding people, and I'm not overly loud or talkative, which is sometimes a good thing!

""Judy Singer, a sociologist who has autism, started using the term "neurodiversity" in the late 1990s. It refers to the concept that certain developmental disorders are normal variations in the brain. And people who have these features also have certain strengths." (WebMD)

People who are neurodivergent might have Autism, ADHD/ADD, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia or another learning disability. I have kids with autism and also suspect I may have ADD so it's been on my mind. AND I'm fascinated by the implications that neurodiversity has for society. Anyone else?

As you know I’m fascinated by how the human brain work and in particular the conscious and subconscious mind.

People who are neurodivergent are no different it’s just their brain works in a slightly different way to what is seen as normal brain functions. The truth while they may struggle which certain expectations placed on them by society they do have unique skills that should be encouraged.

We all naturally have strengths and weakness which so much emphasis being placed on the weaknesses rather than strengths. For neurodivergent people I believe we should identify what makes them unique and strengthen that "

I don't know as much about ADHD but certainly some people with autism are very different in their behaviour. I find it's often judged as "bad parenting" but more often just "odd" or "weird" . I would love to see more recognition of the unique skills and strengths that neurodivergent people have - because that means more acceptance and understanding. There does seem to be a fair amount of work going on in schools, which is a great sign.

By *aul DeUther-OneMan  over a year ago

Seaside Sussex

People who are neurodivergent might have Autism, ADHD/ADD, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia or another learning disability. I have kids with autism and also suspect I may have ADD so it's been on my mind. AND I'm fascinated by the implications that neurodiversity has for society. Anyone else? "

Watching Rain Man I was fascinated by the Dustin Hoffman character's memory for Basrball facts and figures... also would love to have him as my buddy in a game of 21.

"ADHD dyslexic (very mild) and dyspraxic here. Not a fan of the term neurodivergent however a girl I lived with at uni has autism and lots of other things and she loved it and always self identified as that. Me I just laugh and tell people I’m a bit of a clumsy cow. We don’t need to wear our diagnoses as a badge of honour imo. "

What don't you like about the term Sparkles? I don't know you at all but ..calling yourself a clumsy cow seems unduly harsh.

The refreshing thing is we are now talking about such conditions and becoming more empathetic instead of writing someone off as being thick or stupid.

Many people are affected with neuro conditions.

Mental and physical.

Good thread

By *ackformore100Man  over a year ago

Tin town

It's another label instead of the old labels. The sooner we accept that people are different and are less judgemental the better. Not sure inventing new labels is helping anyone.

"ADHD dyslexic (very mild) and dyspraxic here. Not a fan of the term neurodivergent however a girl I lived with at uni has autism and lots of other things and she loved it and always self identified as that. Me I just laugh and tell people I’m a bit of a clumsy cow. We don’t need to wear our diagnoses as a badge of honour imo.

Gosh we sound similar. I’m doing an English degree. I only found out I had dyslexia when I was doing my diploma. I can write and do academic writing but as you say it takes me a while and I need a proof reader. I also struggle with directions haha it’s partly why I don’t drive.

I let employers and academia know purely because I get DSA so get all the proof reading software. I also get to use a dictaphone in lectures as I will walk out and forget half of it. The joys of an adhd brain. Im usually thinking about 5 things at once. It’s exhausting.

Love how similar we are x "

Sounds daft but I am quite new to ADHD - is having trouble with directions a symptom? As in still struggling with a sat nav or ..getting lost in a car park?

"My youngest child has learning difficulties..now diagnosed with neurodiversity..and still can't get him the help he needs..

I'm sorry. I've been told 3 diagnoses for my kids and each time.."you're on your own". Shouldn't be this way! Are you in touch with any orgs that can provide you with some support? Or even FB groups can be great. same my son seen by 2 Ed physiologists blah blah needs this that put in place ..truly slipped thru the net"

You really have to fight for your kids, don't you? Go into battle for them. I had help from KIDS who advised me on the legal stuff - really great as the school weren't doing what they should. I hope you get somewhere.

Midlands

"Inattentive ADHD here.

And do you view yourself as neurodivergent with additional strengths? I suspect inattentive ADHD is what I've been struggling with for..more years than I can remember. Were you diagnosed as an adult?"

Neurodiverse yes- but I don’t see that ADHD beings any positives or strengths for me. I have almost every possible symptom and it affects almost every aspect of my life.

Diagnosed very young but this was back in the 80s when they thought you grew out of it- you don’t! A lot of adults say it gets worse as they get older. I went back in medication last year for the first time since I was a child so that means I can function better and be more productive at work.

Additude mag online can be a good place to start if you haven’t already found it.

By *urham 3 riversMan  over a year ago

Co. Durham

It's another label instead of the old labels. The sooner we accept that people are different and are less judgemental the better. Not sure inventing new labels is helping anyone. "

no more new labels they only create confusion and distress

Midlands

" Sounds daft but I am quite new to ADHD - is having trouble with directions a symptom? As in still struggling with a sat nav or ..getting lost in a car park? "

I’ve never heard of it being recognised as an “official” symptom but anecdotally, I think it’s very common. I struggle with it.

It's another label instead of the old labels. The sooner we accept that people are different and are less judgemental the better. Not sure inventing new labels is helping anyone.

no more new labels they only create confusion and distress "

Do either of you have one of these conditions? Are you saying this from that perspective? Because I know several people who fit that label and find it helpful.

"

Sounds like you have to manage it really carefully but maybe after so many years that comes naturally? That's really interesting what you say about seeing visually. Given your career. Do employers (Universities, government) recognise that strength I wonder? I feel the need to go read more and more!

By *ilverjagMan  over a year ago

swansea

Nobody is 'normal', we all have traits that could put us somewhere on the spectrum. Problems only arrive when those traits in individuals make it difficult for said individuals to integrate into society.

My own personal thoughts are we are seeing more and more people diagnosed with spectrum 'disorders' because society is changing and there is a massive narrowing of roles.

I'll use this as an example. I have a family member who I'm pretty sure would be diagnosed with dispraxia, ADHD and dyslexia if he was a kid now. Just like his daughter has been.

He left school at 15 with no qualifications but walked into a greenkeeping job at a golf course and worked there for 35 years.

Tmes change and it became a requirement for him to have a driving licence to keep working there for insurance purposes, because tractor driving was a huge part of his job. That was him finished, and now he's unemployable and on the scrap heap."

Your family member needs to speak to a solicitor who specialises in employment law, preferably from outside his local area with no connection with the local golf club. As he left school at fifteen, and the compulsory school leaving age was raised to sixteen in September 1972, that makes your family member no younger than sixty four with just a couple of years to go till pension age, so he's not as badly off as some. However, I, as a holder of a construction industry training board site managers safety certificate, am fairly certain that a person doesn't need a driving licence to operate a piece of wheel driven equipment which a tractor obviously is, however he or she does have to be competent. The easiest way to prove competency is by having an operators certificate, but it's not a legislative requirement! Many jcb drivers, and fork lift drivers who have been doing the job for years don't have certificates of competency or a driving licence. I personally had a run in with the HSE on this matter over an excavator driver who had been doing the job for years, but had no actual certificate of competency. The HSE would not have backed down if I had been invalidating our companies public liability, and employer liability insurance by letting someone operate a wheel driven vehicle without a current driving licence. It may be that his employers used the excuse of insurance requirements to get rid of him. If he has it in writing that this was the reason why they had to finish him, or they imformed the benifits agency that this was the reason for his dismissal and it was a false declaration, your family member may have a strong case for unfair dismissal, and an appropriate compensation claim.

If it turns out that the insurance company did make a current driving licence a requirement of all staff operating wheeled vehicles, albeit that they were being operated by competent persons on private land, it may be the case that your family member should bring this matter up with the insurance ombudsman, and if the insurance company are out of order, they will go the distance in the boxing ring, metaphorically speaking.

Also as a construction site manager, I am acutely aware that there are legislative requirements placed upon me not to discriminate against people who are disabled or have restrictions, but instead make provision for them to work safely. I've got current manuals upstairs dealing with the subject, and the legal obligations that employers have to comply with. If I get five minutes to myself I'll take a look at them, and see if any points of law should be brought to your family members attention.

Thanks for all the responses, I am trying to reply to everyone but have to go out

What don't you like about the term Sparkles? I don't know you at all but ..calling yourself a clumsy cow seems unduly harsh. "

Haha I laugh about it. It’s a coping mechanism. That’s all. I’ve been taken the piss out of for being clumsy for years and cackhanded etc so I guess it’s stuck. This was before I realised I had ADHD and dyspraxia. I get annoyed at the whole “everyones on the spectrum” thing too. I’ve worked intensely with the National autistic society and have done some very in-depth training and met some amazing people through my work as a support worker. It’s not a case of one size fits all. Autism is very very black and white there is no grey area. You either have it or you don’t. As told by an amazing chap who ran one of my training sessions look him up his name is Tigger (yes that’s his name ).

The term Asperger’s is now outdated due to the fact Asperger was a nazi and did some awful practices on children. It’s now termed ASD or autism spectrum disorder.

Sorry I’m a pedant for these things.

La la land

Sounds like you have to manage it really carefully but maybe after so many years that comes naturally? That's really interesting what you say about seeing visually. Given your career. Do employers (Universities, government) recognise that strength I wonder? I feel the need to go read more and more! "

I'm not sure they see it as a strength as such. But I know I'm good at my job, and my boss acknowledges it. Nobody is amazing at everything so I don't tend to get hung up on the idea of it. Think everyone has their struggles. I just think it's important for people to acknowledge them and then put measures in place to manage them if possible.

Sounds like you have to manage it really carefully but maybe after so many years that comes naturally? That's really interesting what you say about seeing visually. Given your career. Do employers (Universities, government) recognise that strength I wonder? I feel the need to go read more and more!

I'm not sure they see it as a strength as such. But I know I'm good at my job, and my boss acknowledges it. Nobody is amazing at everything so I don't tend to get hung up on the idea of it. Think everyone has their struggles. I just think it's important for people to acknowledge them and then put measures in place to manage them if possible. "

Speaking from my background in senior management the best teams function when each member of operating to their strengths not trying to improve their weaknesses. This is something often missed by employers as they look from a critical pov

La la land

I'm not sure they see it as a strength as such. But I know I'm good at my job, and my boss acknowledges it. Nobody is amazing at everything so I don't tend to get hung up on the idea of it. Think everyone has their struggles. I just think it's important for people to acknowledge them and then put measures in place to manage them if possible.

Speaking from my background in senior management the best teams function when each member of operating to their strengths not trying to improve their weaknesses. This is something often missed by employers as they look from a critical pov "

Exactly I know I'm kick arse in the lab. Me and my boss have a bit of an understanding I'll do a greater proportion of the lab work and he'll do more of the writing. This is the most efficient use of our time and makes us more productive as a team.

Speaking from my background in senior management the best teams function when each member of operating to their strengths not trying to improve their weaknesses. This is something often missed by employers as they look from a critical pov

Exactly I know I'm kick arse in the lab. Me and my boss have a bit of an understanding I'll do a greater proportion of the lab work and he'll do more of the writing. This is the most efficient use of our time and makes us more productive as a team. "

Perfect at the end of the day it’s about team results

Tmes change and it became a requirement for him to have a driving licence to keep working there for insurance purposes, because tractor driving was a huge part of his job. That was him finished, and now he's unemployable and on the scrap heap."

That's so sad. x

By *obwhateverMan  over a year ago

Stirling/ London/ W. Yorkshire

Inattentive ADD here. Diagnosed as an adult, but it’s never got in the way or held me back in my day to day life.

A relative has pretty extreme adhd, autism, and dyspraxia, and despite being disagnosed as a kid, the support he had from local authorities, school, and as an adult from social and mental health services has been shockingly bad.

"

I think that's what people are working towards - making normal more diverse. But there still needs to be recognition of the additional needs of those on the spectrum and with ADHD, Dyslexia etc.

"Always lacked confidence in my writing skills and have never been much of a reader, could never concentrate for long enough.

Its why I never acheived academically. "

These days I'd hope a child with those issues would be offered more support. I know my son was - he had a table of his own and headphones through much of primary.

We aren't all on the spectrum, that is a bit of a myth tbh. Sorry to hear about your relative - perhaps what _ilverjag has said may help? Fingers crossed.

"

I think that's what people are working towards - making normal more diverse. But there still needs to be recognition of the additional needs of those on the spectrum and with ADHD, Dyslexia etc."

Good point.

Apologies, I didn't mean to infer that people shouldn't get any help.

I think that's what people are working towards - making normal more diverse. But there still needs to be recognition of the additional needs of those on the spectrum and with ADHD, Dyslexia etc.

Good point.

Apologies, I didn't mean to infer that people shouldn't get any help."

Didn't think you had!!

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

I have ASD, with ADHD and struggle in a world that's not particularly inclusive. It affects my learning and relationships. There should be much greater investment in support

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

I'll know it when I find it.

Hello OP! I'm fascinated by the world of neuro-diversity on a personal level, it's something that myself and several of my siblings are (it definitely runs in my family).

I think people tend to think of it as being either end of the spectrum, with little to no middle ground but it's such a varied, brilliant thing. I am very much sensory and can easily have sensory overloads but like many women who are ND I've learned to mask it over the years, for fear of being seen as different or difficult or weird. It's difficult growing up to not feel like something is wrong with you buuuut... there's not. I still apologise now for not responding to things in a NT way; I'm hopeful one day people will feel less pressure to be one thing and there'll be more acceptance for the myriad of wonderful ways we view and move through the world.

By *asques and boxersCouple  over a year ago

Ashford and dept16

"

I left school with a A level art having missed more lessons than I sat in. The ones I did sit in I was either disruptive or ignored. Until a temp teacher gave me a shot at art. I was deposited there for 6 months, as the only class apart from PE and Gardening who could keep me interested.

I did 2 years work in 6 months and sat the exam scraped it but passed.

Learnt math playing crib and darts, learnt to read via self help books and an ex headmaster. Fell into a sales role and built a business from drawing pictures for clients often upside down. Its now sold due to a level of reporting I couldn't or no longer wanted to cope with. Always see everything in pictures solve puzzles up side down live life with passion never never give in unless its what you want then do your next project.

If I have made a spelling error Ill draw it for ya lol!!!

By *ackdaw52Man  over a year ago

Chesterfield

Autism here.

Unfortunately I wasn't diagnosed until I was 22, so I spent my childhood and teen years believing I was stupid.

I knew I wasn't stupid but I couldn't explain why things that were so easy for other people were so hard for me.

Although I am exceptional at some things that everyone else seems to find difficult.

I rarely tell people about my autism because they do not make allowances for you. I've just accepted that the world will not change for me, I need to adapt myself to the world.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

My neurodivergence wasn't formally diagnosed until I was 33, but the "what on earth is wrong with her" questions started in my infancy.

I'm not typical. That's not wrong. It has benefits. (Is it a super power or a strength? Not sure. I think that would require me to understand what I'd be like if I were neurotypical - and I wouldn't have the foggiest what that's like)

"I wasn't diagnosed as being dyslexic, with cross lateral dominance till after I left school. In my day, in the eyes of the dozy, half baked teachers because I was a slow reader, with atrocious hand writing, getting letters back to front, b's as d's, p's as q's etc, I was simply thick! But, once I discovered what the problem was, did I ever make up for it afterwards! With a determination to succeed like no other. It's why I don't get involved in chat rooms because, by the time I've typed something, checked the spelling and grammar, the subject has moved on to something else.

Now that I've identified that my grandson has the same condition, I attend parents evenings with him and his mum, and believe me, I'm not the most popular guy as I politely inform members of the teaching profession that it's perhaps they who require educating, and it's not where you start out in this game of life that matters, it's where you end up that counts. Take heart those of you who have kids with similar conditions that there is hope, and with encouragement they are very likely to find a niche at which they excell, and capitalise on it. "

Dyslexia is now identified a lot earlier in schools but I still think parents have to fight to get support for any of these conditions. Wonderful that you're supporting your grandson.

I live with a person who has narcolepsy and cataplexy at the severe end of the spectrum. Also suspect that they are on the ASD spectrum, but "Narcoleptic personality" as its coined can be very similar, so very difficult in getting confirmation. Not that it's needed in any way. There definitely needs to be a better understanding in general public but it has come leaps and bounds already, and a long way to go yet.

By *ixi n DogCouple  over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

[Removed by poster at 12/12/21 11:37:40]

Tin town

"I wasn't diagnosed as being dyslexic, with cross lateral dominance till after I left school. In my day, in the eyes of the dozy, half baked teachers because I was a slow reader, with atrocious hand writing, getting letters back to front, b's as d's, p's as q's etc, I was simply thick! But, once I discovered what the problem was, did I ever make up for it afterwards! With a determination to succeed like no other. It's why I don't get involved in chat rooms because, by the time I've typed something, checked the spelling and grammar, the subject has moved on to something else.

Now that I've identified that my grandson has the same condition, I attend parents evenings with him and his mum, and believe me, I'm not the most popular guy as I politely inform members of the teaching profession that it's perhaps they who require educating, and it's not where you start out in this game of life that matters, it's where you end up that counts. Take heart those of you who have kids with similar conditions that there is hope, and with encouragement they are very likely to find a niche at which they excell, and capitalise on it.

Dyslexia is now identified a lot earlier in schools but I still think parents have to fight to get support for any of these conditions. Wonderful that you're supporting your grandson. "

Some schools may be better. Some are still hopeless.

By *wisted999Man  over a year ago

North Bucks

I have a veritable plethora with Autism and ADHD being quite strong. Diagnosed recently spent my lifetime wondering is it me that rubs people up the wrong way? Well turns out it was but at least I have an explanation for it. Used to get up and wander about in meetings and all sorts. (I still do but people now know why and tolerate it)

Though I had Dyscalculia but turns out I was just shit at maths!!

Chesterfield

I think that's debatable.

Most of 'special needs' education is simply segregating the ND from the rest of the children, and they aren't learning the skills they need to cope with the way the world is.

Manchester (she/her)

"I think that's debatable.

Most of 'special needs' education is simply segregating the ND from the rest of the children, and they aren't learning the skills they need to cope with the way the world is."

I was given a "the way the world is" education and frankly I wouldn't wish that on a child.

Chesterfield

Most of 'special needs' education is simply segregating the ND from the rest of the children, and they aren't learning the skills they need to cope with the way the world is.

I was given a "the way the world is" education and frankly I wouldn't wish that on a child."

Neither would I. I hated being at school.

But as an adult I've found people have very little tolerance of neurodiversity, and children need to learn to deal with that, because that's what they're going to get.

Manchester (she/her)

I was given a "the way the world is" education and frankly I wouldn't wish that on a child.

Neither would I. I hated being at school.

But as an adult I've found people have very little tolerance of neurodiversity, and children need to learn to deal with that, because that's what they're going to get."

I actually find the adult world has been kinder and more compassionate than the hell I faced at school.

Maybe the neurotypicals learn to not be arseholes.

By *adyJayneWoman  over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

" I get annoyed at the whole “everyones on the spectrum” thing too. I’ve worked intensely with the National autistic society and have done some very in-depth training and met some amazing people through my work as a support worker. It’s not a case of one size fits all. Autism is very very black and white there is no grey area. You either have it or you don’t. As told by an amazing chap who ran one of my training sessions look him up his name is Tigger (yes that’s his name ).

The term Asperger’s is now outdated due to the fact Asperger was a nazi and did some awful practices on children. It’s now termed ASD or autism spectrum disorder.

"

I'm so glad you've said this. The amount of people who say to me that everyone is a little on the spectrum makes me cringe. They say that because they might be introverted or socially awkward (all perfectly acceptable things to be), but that doesn't mean they understand the lived existence of those who are on the spectrum and the societal pressure to mask and fit in...

And yeah. While some people still prefer to self identify as having Asperger's I personally can't understand why when he was such a horror show.

Ohhh and functioning labels. This high/low function stuff is nonsense too.

I may be academically 'bright' (for want of a better word) but cleaning, remembering to pay bills on time etc I'm hopeless at.

I am neurodiverse, for me it's easier than explaining the whole sodding range (autism, add, dyslexia, dyspraxia)

" I get annoyed at the whole “everyones on the spectrum” thing too. I’ve worked intensely with the National autistic society and have done some very in-depth training and met some amazing people through my work as a support worker. It’s not a case of one size fits all. Autism is very very black and white there is no grey area. You either have it or you don’t. As told by an amazing chap who ran one of my training sessions look him up his name is Tigger (yes that’s his name ).

I'm so glad you've said this. The amount of people who say to me that everyone is a little on the spectrum makes me cringe. They say that because they might be introverted or socially awkward (all perfectly acceptable things to be), but that doesn't mean they understand the lived existence of those who are on the spectrum and the societal pressure to mask and fit in...

And yeah. While some people still prefer to self identify as having Asperger's I personally can't understand why when he was such a horror show.

Ohhh and functioning labels. This high/low function stuff is nonsense too.

I may be academically 'bright' (for want of a better word) but cleaning, remembering to pay bills on time etc I'm hopeless at.

I am neurodiverse, for me it's easier than explaining the whole sodding range (autism, add, dyslexia, dyspraxia)"

. Don’t get me on the high and low function thing. Annoys me too. You have a diagnosis. Therefore you don’t need to be “more” or “less” autistic than someone else. It’s not a competition lol.

People just like labels. Ahh masking yes hence why they never thought women could be autistic, when in fact they just hide it better to conform to societal norms. Psychology used to be a very male dominant science now it isn’t it means more females are picked up x

By *annyDanielleMan  over a year ago

Street, Somerset

Interesting stuff. I have read somewhere that certain kinds of autism were the beginnings of the next step in human evolution.

What don't you like about the term Sparkles? I don't know you at all but ..calling yourself a clumsy cow seems unduly harsh.

Haha I laugh about it. It’s a coping mechanism. That’s all. I’ve been taken the piss out of for being clumsy for years and cackhanded etc so I guess it’s stuck. This was before I realised I had ADHD and dyspraxia. I get annoyed at the whole “everyones on the spectrum” thing too. I’ve worked intensely with the National autistic society and have done some very in-depth training and met some amazing people through my work as a support worker. It’s not a case of one size fits all. Autism is very very black and white there is no grey area. You either have it or you don’t. As told by an amazing chap who ran one of my training sessions look him up his name is Tigger (yes that’s his name ).

"

I agree, everyone isn't on the spectrum! I have people saying "oh yeah my son does that" a lot but I think they have no real understanding of what it means.

Where I live they diagnose Aspergers. Other NHS trusts diagnose High Functioning Autism. I tend to refer to ASD but lots of people then don't know what I mean!

By *lansmanMan  over a year ago

Sheffield

"

Exactly this. The N word should be banned tbh .. as in lots of areas , there's no such thing as normal.

Tin town

[Removed by poster at 12/12/21 14:50:07]

Burnleyish (She/They)

Exactly this. The N word should be banned tbh .. as in lots of areas , there's no such thing as normal. "

Of course there is such a thing of normal, after all it is just the majority.

The world is geared to the neurotypical, or the hetronormative. Doesn't mean that is right, but the majority does always seem to rule the roost.

Sheffield

Exactly this. The N word should be banned tbh .. as in lots of areas , there's no such thing as normal.

The world is geared to the neurotypical, or the hetronormative. Doesn't mean that is right, but the majority does always seem to rule the roost. "

The minority actually rule the roost politically ..

People feel compelled to adhere to certain norms to fit in , but thats not the same as feeling " Normal"

The world is geared to the neurotypical, or the hetronormative. Doesn't mean that is right, but the majority does always seem to rule the roost.

People feel compelled to adhere to certain norms to fit in , but thats not the same as feeling " Normal"

"

We are not talking about politics though. I think you've gone off on a bit of a tangent? "Normal" or neurotically typical NT does exist and makes anyone who isn't NT encounters a world not designed for them. That's why I started this threads.

Sheffield

We are not talking about politics though. I think you've gone off on a bit of a tangent? "Normal" or neurotically typical NT does exist and makes anyone who isn't NT encounters a world not designed for them. That's why I started this threads."

Of course politics are a tangent..

But i still think Normal is applied to far too many aspects of the human condition and creates far more harm than is realised.

Interesting stuff. I have read somewhere that certain kinds of autism were the beginnings of the next step in human evolution."

I'd love to read that if you remember where you read it?

Street, Somerset

Interesting stuff. I have read somewhere that certain kinds of autism were the beginnings of the next step in human evolution.

I'd love to read that if you remember where you read it? "

There are many interesting articles which aim to support this idea, including one from Harvard Medical School.

I did my Criminology dissertation on the over propensity of Neuro-diverse people within the prison population.

There are many interesting articles which aim to support this idea, including one from Harvard Medical School."

I will have a search thank you.

There are many interesting articles which aim to support this idea, including one from Harvard Medical School."

Very true, there are lots of big companies that deliberately target the employment of Neuro-diverse candidates due to them often being able to think far more laterally than 'normal' folk.

I only found out that I was dyslexic at university in my early 50s (processing information, not reading and writing), it explained a lot about both my career and my struggles with academic study.

There are many interesting articles which aim to support this idea, including one from Harvard Medical School.

Very true, there are lots of big companies that deliberately target the employment of Neuro-diverse candidates due to them often being able to think far more laterally than 'normal' folk.

I only found out that I was dyslexic at university in my early 50s (processing information, not reading and writing), it explained a lot about both my career and my struggles with academic study."

As long as they take care of those employees and not just use them for their extra skills, that sounds great.

I know little about dyslexia - what do you mean about "processing information?"

Chesterfield

""I have read somewhere that certain kinds of autism were the beginnings of the next step in human evolution.

But why would we evolve like this when it gives us so many disadvantages in society?

""I have read somewhere that certain kinds of autism were the beginnings of the next step in human evolution.

But why would we evolve like this when it gives us so many disadvantages in society?"

Um, this is the whole point of the thread? Why do you think neurodiversity only brings disadvantages?

I only found out that I was dyslexic at university in my early 50s (processing information, not reading and writing), it explained a lot about both my career and my struggles with academic study.

As long as they take care of those employees and not just use them for their extra skills, that sounds great.

I know little about dyslexia - what do you mean about "processing information?""

When I had my psych evaluation, my reading and writing were both in the 90th percentile, my information processing was in the 40th percentile. I literally struggle to process information in the way it is traditionally taught - written and aural. I have to take a combination of the two plus learning strategies that I've subconsciously evolved to actively learn anything. I have to hear it three or four times (I recorded lectures) and read it a number of times before it goes in.

However, I did discover a natural aptitude for writing code and deciphering logical conundrums that gave me a long career in IT before I gave it all up to give something back to society.

I can't proof read my own work but I'm great at proof-reading and correcting other people's work. It's quite bizarre how it works at times and very difficult to explain.

La la land

But why would we evolve like this when it gives us so many disadvantages in society?"

Does it though, I mean dyslexia was it really an issue for hunter gatherer's? Probably not.

But it gives me an advantage in my work place, I see things differently to my colleagues and can pick out flaws in things, which can save my team months worth of research. Have I had to work hard and was at a disadvantage at school, yes. But I preserved and I have a PhD which kinda makes in the top percentage of educated people in the country. It's just so happened I struggled at school but uni was a relative breeze.

I also grew up on a farm so come zombie apocalypse, I can grow veg and rear animals and do medical research. I'd say I was an advantage

La la land

"I can't proof read my own work but I'm great at proof-reading and correcting other people's work. It's quite bizarre how it works at times and very difficult to explain."

I can do this, it's because I read what I think I wrote not what I actually wrote.

"I can't proof read my own work but I'm great at proof-reading and correcting other people's work. It's quite bizarre how it works at times and very difficult to explain.

I can do this, it's because I read what I think I wrote not what I actually wrote. "

That's pretty much me! Got my youngest daughter's diss down from 13000 to 11000 words, she got a first. Mine was a clusterfuck that got a 2:2 and knocked me down from a first overall to a 2:1.

What you say about the workplace is very true though, even though I didn't know I was dyslexic until recently, I was always a bit 'different' at work and solved problems in ways that appeared to come right out of left-field.

I'm sure a lot of traits were seen as 'odd as evolution took place but we're then accepted into the mainstream. No reason to think that Neuro-diversity is any different.

La la land

"I can't proof read my own work but I'm great at proof-reading and correcting other people's work. It's quite bizarre how it works at times and very difficult to explain.

I can do this, it's because I read what I think I wrote not what I actually wrote.

That's pretty much me! Got my youngest daughter's diss down from 13000 to 11000 words, she got a first. Mine was a clusterfuck that got a 2:2 and knocked me down from a first overall to a 2:1.

What you say about the workplace is very true though, even though I didn't know I was dyslexic until recently, I was always a bit 'different' at work and solved problems in ways that appeared to come right out of left-field.

I'm sure a lot of traits were seen as 'odd as evolution took place but we're then accepted into the mainstream. No reason to think that Neuro-diversity is any different."

Same I didn't know I was dyslexic until my mid twenties. And I can't really proof read off a computer has to be paper copy for me. My brain is geared differently, I've embraced it and made a career out of it. I can't lie I can get frustrated with it sometimes but I don't know what neurotypical is so I'm happy as I am

I'm sure a lot of traits were seen as 'odd as evolution took place but we're then accepted into the mainstream. No reason to think that Neuro-diversity is any different.

Same I didn't know I was dyslexic until my mid twenties. And I can't really proof read off a computer has to be paper copy for me. My brain is geared differently, I've embraced it and made a career out of it. I can't lie I can get frustrated with it sometimes but I don't know what neurotypical is so I'm happy as I am "

Ha, when I was in IT, I used to be surrounded by reams and reams of paper as I could write code onto a computer but couldn't correct it on screen, I had to be able to lay it all out in front of me

Street, Somerset

I'm sorry i can't answer that but from what i've read it's not all about disadvantages.

Perhaps the fault lies with society and it's blinkered perception of what is considered 'normal' and it's continued stigmatisation of the condition.

Hopefully, once a more balanced approach is achieved, the true advantages will be allowed to come to the fore. It's with much excitement that i already see the beginnings of this.

When I had my psych evaluation, my reading and writing were both in the 90th percentile, my information processing was in the 40th percentile. I literally struggle to process information in the way it is traditionally taught - written and aural. I have to take a combination of the two plus learning strategies that I've subconsciously evolved to actively learn anything. I have to hear it three or four times (I recorded lectures) and read it a number of times before it goes in.

However, I did discover a natural aptitude for writing code and deciphering logical conundrums that gave me a long career in IT before I gave it all up to give something back to society."

I was really curious about processing information because I didn't realise that was a dyslexia issue. I can't process information aurally and I have no strategies to manage it.

But why would we evolve like this when it gives us so many disadvantages in society?

I'm sorry i can't answer that but from what i've read it's not all about disadvantages.

Perhaps the fault lies with society and it's blinkered perception of what is considered 'normal' and it's continued stigmatisation of the condition.

Hopefully, once a more balanced approach is achieved, the true advantages will be allowed to come to the fore. It's with much excitement that i already see the beginnings of this."

I think the quote in my OP is encouraging of this - perhaps even the pandemic may mean neuro diversity is embraced more quickly as the advantages of those who can think creatively and flexibly are clear to see.

ADHD inattentive type checking in here, shame it's so difficult to have it recognised. Took lock down happening last year and finally having the head space to think about it to get a private psych to get the diagnosis.

Honestly been such a struggle in the past but now I know *why* certain things are difficult life has suddenly become a lot easier to navigate!

However, I did discover a natural aptitude for writing code and deciphering logical conundrums that gave me a long career in IT before I gave it all up to give something back to society.

I was really curious about processing information because I didn't realise that was a dyslexia issue. I can't process information aurally and I have no strategies to manage it. "

It's really difficult! I struggle with it again now I'm no longer in full-time education and don't have to worry about it so much.

You have to find a way to 'visualise' the information and there's no prescribed way to do it. It really is trial and error.

"ADHD inattentive type checking in here, shame it's so difficult to have it recognised. Took lock down happening last year and finally having the head space to think about it to get a private psych to get the diagnosis.

Honestly been such a struggle in the past but now I know *why* certain things are difficult life has suddenly become a lot easier to navigate!"

Brilliant that you've got a diagnosis and hopefully some strategies to make the difficult things easier!

By *wistedTooCouple  over a year ago

Frimley

It’s a real thing that a tiny number of people can have associated with them but for some reason 90% of TikTok users think should be their label.

La la land

I was really curious about processing information because I didn't realise that was a dyslexia issue. I can't process information aurally and I have no strategies to manage it. "

I can't read out loud, even toddler books like in the night garden are an issue. Pontipines genuinely came out as pontipenus

Information orally is ok I tend to bullet point or associations. But different things work for different people.

"It’s a real thing that a tiny number of people can have associated with them but for some reason 90% of TikTok users think should be their label."

I think you must have landed in neurodivergent TikTok

Burnleyish (She/They)

"It’s a real thing that a tiny number of people can have associated with them but for some reason 90% of TikTok users think should be their label.

I think you must have landed in neurodivergent TikTok "

ND tiktok is the best.

I mean I spend half my time being called out but other than that

Chesterfield

""

Um, this is the whole point of the thread? Why do you think neurodiversity only brings disadvantages?"

I was on a date a few years ago with a woman who was unaware of my status. She said, "I support disabled rights but I don't think disabled people should be given important jobs."

That's what I deal with on a daily basis.

I was in the top 2% at school but I hated being there because I was bullied for my differences. I got depressed as a teenager and it's never gone away.

In my adult life I got my diagnosis and they said 'things are different now, people will support you.". But if anything they saw it as a weakness and ramped up the bullying even more.

And unlike at school, I couldn't make it stop by breaking someone's nose.

Btw, few autistic people live to old age. Our number one cause of death is suicide, and I don't wonder.

To quote John Wyndham, "It should have been a blessing, but it was a curse. Even the stupidest Norm was happier."

I was really curious about processing information because I didn't realise that was a dyslexia issue. I can't process information aurally and I have no strategies to manage it.

I can't read out loud, even toddler books like in the night garden are an issue. Pontipines genuinely came out as pontipenus

Information orally is ok I tend to bullet point or associations. But different things work for different people. "

I would love to find out what works for me! I'm glad you have a handle on your strategies.

"It’s a real thing that a tiny number of people can have associated with them but for some reason 90% of TikTok users think should be their label.

I think you must have landed in neurodivergent TikTok

ND tiktok is the best.

I mean I spend half my time being called out but other than that "

My daughter says I am on boomer TikTok. I need to find my way!

La la land

Information orally is ok I tend to bullet point or associations. But different things work for different people.

I would love to find out what works for me! I'm glad you have a handle on your strategies. "

I have students who record on their phones (with permission) if it's something important so they don't miss anything. I've been known to make a voice note after am important meeting so I don't forget

By *acavityMan  over a year ago

Redditch

Neuro-diverse and neuro-typical are Neutral terms like LGBTQ & heterosexual.

It's better than declaring one thing 'normal' & everything else 'abnormal or subnormal'

La la land

"Neuro-diverse and neuro-typical are Neutral terms like LGBTQ & heterosexual.

It's better than declaring one thing 'normal' & everything else 'abnormal or subnormal'"

Sub normal

""

Um, this is the whole point of the thread? Why do you think neurodiversity only brings disadvantages?

I was on a date a few years ago with a woman who was unaware of my status. She said, "I support disabled rights but I don't think disabled people should be given important jobs."

I was in the top 2% at school but I hated being there because I was bullied for my differences. I got depressed as a teenager and it's never gone away.

In my adult life I got my diagnosis and they said 'things are different now, people will support you.". But if anything they saw it as a weakness and ramped up the bullying even more.

Btw, few autistic people live to old age. Our number one cause of death is suicide, and I don't wonder.

To quote John Wyndham, "It should have been a blessing, but it was a curse. Even the stupidest Norm was happier.""

I'm sorry that things have been like that for you. My kids have been through intense bullying at school - it's hell. I guess I started this thread because I'd like to think that the world is changing to accommodate those who are neurodivergent.

It's better than declaring one thing 'normal' & everything else 'abnormal or subnormal'"

Is that your opinion or what you feel society thinks about neurodivergent people?

It's better than declaring one thing 'normal' & everything else 'abnormal or subnormal'

Sub normal "

If one group of people is 'normal' and another group is not considered 'normal', what would the other group be called?

Surely that's all his point is.

La la land

Sub normal

If one group of people is 'normal' and another group is not considered 'normal', what would the other group be called?

Surely that's all his point is."

Subnormal definition is not meeting standards or reaching a level regarded as normal.

Does everyone even normal people, always meet standards for every aspect in their lives?

I'm not subnormal I'm bloody amazing

Sub normal

Surely that's all his point is.

Subnormal definition is not meeting standards or reaching a level regarded as normal.

Does everyone even normal people, always meet standards for every aspect in their lives?

I'm not subnormal I'm bloody amazing

"

Superhuman then.

By *hesecretdocMan  over a year ago

Lancashire

Same I didn't know I was dyslexic until my mid twenties. And I can't really proof read off a computer has to be paper copy for me. My brain is geared differently, I've embraced it and made a career out of it. I can't lie I can get frustrated with it sometimes but I don't know what neurotypical is so I'm happy as I am

Ha, when I was in IT, I used to be surrounded by reams and reams of paper as I could write code onto a computer but couldn't correct it on screen, I had to be able to lay it all out in front of me

"

That is so me! I have to always print out documents to proof read as I just can't do it on screen ; never knew it was a part of my autism!

Is IT a good career for neurodiverse people as I really am thinking of a major change in my mid-40s and this was something I was considering but don't know where to start (or am provarocating due to the ADHD for which I'm still awaiting assessment!)

Manchester (she/her)

""

To quote John Wyndham, "It should have been a blessing, but it was a curse. Even the stupidest Norm was happier."

I'm sorry that things have been like that for you. My kids have been through intense bullying at school - it's hell. I guess I started this thread because I'd like to think that the world is changing to accommodate those who are neurodivergent. "

It is. But we still have to fight tooth and nail.

Burnleyish (She/They)

Is that your opinion or what you feel society thinks about neurodivergent people? "

I've found its how society views you...

I have a whole sodding whammy... Autism, ADHD, dyslexia and dyspraxia.

Ignoring the fact I'm a (mostly) fully functioning adult, with a responsible full time job etc, there are people who on finding out I'm ND (far easier to use the umbrella term rather than list them)

I've had people tell me I shouldn't be married (hilarious since my diagnosis came after I got married)

That I shouldn't be on here

Or involved with BDSM

That I shouldn't have medical autonomy

Or even autonomy over my own body

One person even told me I should be forcibly sterilised so I don't have ND children. (I don't even want children)

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Is that your opinion or what you feel society thinks about neurodivergent people?

Ignoring the fact I'm a (mostly) fully functioning adult, with a responsible full time job etc, there are people who on finding out I'm ND (far easier to use the umbrella term rather than list them)

I've had people tell me I shouldn't be married (hilarious since my diagnosis came after I got married)

Or involved with BDSM

One person even told me I should be forcibly sterilised so I don't have ND children. (I don't even want children)"

I'm fuming. (Fab needs an angry emoji)

Bet they would happily fly Vigin Airlines etc.

Burnleyish (She/They)

"I'm fuming. (Fab needs an angry emoji)

Bet they would happily fly Vigin Airlines etc. "

Oh for sure, and use their smartphones, or any computer software

Or involved with BDSM

One person even told me I should be forcibly sterilised so I don't have ND children. (I don't even want children)"

Some people need to educate themselves. What appalling things to say!

By *hoirCouple  over a year ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

Or involved with BDSM

This is why I tend to isolate myself from "regular" society, especially since I find it so difficult to mask after being out of work for so long. Not healthy but I don't actually know what to do anymore.

P

By *lim_funMan  over a year ago

Hebden bridge

I thinkit takes those that are neurologically different to change the world. From the first map makers and star gazers to top scientists today I think we are the evolutionary step

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

"

Unfortunately it’s the big Pharma that fund the research , define the boundaries that enable medical diagnosis and create the lucrative solutions - Ritalin etc. Same story with bi-polar - manic depression wasn’t making them enough money , it needed a new name put millions into re-categorising it so doctors could prescribe new drugs. Now social anxiety (shy people) has the same. What all this has in common is it’s a cash cow for big pharma

People who are neurodivergent might have Autism, ADHD/ADD, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia or another learning disability. I have kids with autism and also suspect I may have ADD so it's been on my mind. AND I'm fascinated by the implications that neurodiversity has for society. Anyone else? I thinkit takes those that are neurologically different to change the world. From the first map makers and star gazers to top scientists today I think we are the evolutionary step "

I guess that's what Judy Singer had in mind? I like that thought.

Lancashire

Or involved with BDSM

One person even told me I should be forcibly sterilised so I don't have ND children. (I don't even want children)

This is why I tend to isolate myself from "regular" society, especially since I find it so difficult to mask after being out of work for so long. Not healthy but I don't actually know what to do anymore.

P"

I really can't be doing with masking anymore; it's just too exhausting and unhealthy!

Unfortunately it’s the big Pharma that fund the research , define the boundaries that enable medical diagnosis and create the lucrative solutions - Ritalin etc. Same story with bi-polar - manic depression wasn’t making them enough money , it needed a new name put millions into re-categorising it so doctors could prescribe new drugs. Now social anxiety (shy people) has the same. What all this has in common is it’s a cash cow for big pharma "

Are you saying there's nothing worthwhile about neurodiversity, that it's being pushed by big pharma and that's the only reason it's being highlighted?

By *lim_funMan  over a year ago

Hebden bridge

There's actually alot being done in recent years. The waiting lists are still long but there has been a dramatic shift in understanding. You still risk carrying the stigmatized label tho. I think the issue is that due to it being a huge spectrum alot is still to be learned from opposite ends.

Neurodivergent here and proud. ADHD.

Lancashire

"Neurodivergent here and proud. ADHD. "

We should be proud!

Actually, I think there are quite a lot of neurodivergents on here!

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

"Neurodivergent here and proud. ADHD.

We should be proud!

Actually, I think there are quite a lot of neurodivergents on here!"

There are many

By *izzy.miss.lizzyCouple  over a year ago

Pembrokeshire

I helped take part in clinical research way back in the early 90s while they were doing my sons assessments for school.

Maudsley and Kings and Addenbrooks hospitals. He was 9, I was 34. Having it in writing what our brains were challenging us by was helpful because we could understand it better, and explain it better,

I just wish I had known when I was at school because my education was ruined by it, the teachers then used physical punishment and hummiliation to chastise those of us who couldn't cope well with lessons.

My mental health wellbeing suffers most days so anything that raises understanding has to be good from my point of view.

» Add a new message to this topic