FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Dog friendly pubs

Dog friendly pubs

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man  over a year ago

Chelmsford

I have just read an article which lists 25 dog friendly pubs in Essex.

That's 25 pubs crossed off my list to visit..

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Keswick is a very dog friendly place. You can even take your dog to the pub and sit by the open fire. That reminds me, must return with the new dog

By *ilf and old fartCouple  over a year ago

Between Ely and Mildenhall

"I have just read an article which lists 25 dog friendly pubs in Essex.

"

Muppet

Take my dog to the village pub all the time . He’s very popular

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

My local does a doggy brunch every last Saturday of the month.

Don't worry Tom, they've already banned you!

By *ryandseeMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

It's getting increasingly more common and some restaurants too and so should be in my opinion. Most dog owners are sensible people and ensure their dog does not cause issues. I often used to take mine out for a lovely meal

By *iaisonseekerMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

Not a fan of dogs in general but it's particularly perverse to bring one into a pub, especially if food is being served.

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool/Wallasey

"Not a fan of dogs in general but it's particularly perverse to bring one into a pub, especially if food is being served."

I've seen how "high" standards most pub kitchens and pumps are kept to (even the big chains).

Trust me, the majority of dogs are cleaner than where your drink and food are coming from.

Yorkshire

[Removed by poster at 30/01/22 20:36:26]

Yorkshire

"It used to amaze me how everyone abroad could take their dog to shops, cafes, restaurants but not here. As I said, if you have an unruly dog, you are not going to let them cause havoc somewhere, otherwise most of us who love dogs keep them cleaner than some folk so I don't buy that thing thay they hould not be near food. I took money to some lovely restaurants over the years, lots of pubs, garden centres etc. "

It should say, I took mine ...

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

When I lived out in the sticks, one of ma locals was called The Fox & Hounds, the lounge was full of 'em on a Sunday

I love seeing dogs in pubs, curled up under the tables. It would blow my spaniels brains if there was food though. Their belly rules their head in the absence of a ball or a rock. There would be drool.

Liverpool

"Not a fan of dogs in general but it's particularly perverse to bring one into a pub, especially if food is being served.

I've seen how "high" standards most pub kitchens and pumps are kept to (even the big chains).

Trust me, the majority of dogs are cleaner than where your drink and food are coming from. "

Given that dogs eat their own faeces and often have their faces stuck in other dogs' bumholes, that is quite a claim.

Not yet a dog owner. But can’t see what the issue is. More and more pubs are becoming dog friendly. Esp the ‘country pub’ or ‘gastro pub’ type places. Can’t say that we’ve ever had or observed any major dramas caused by a dog in a pub. Seen plenty of human muppets cause the odd raised eyebrow. But on the whole the dogs seem to just sit by their owners table. One or two of those yappy little handbag dogs might yep if they too close to a moving chair.

By *oeofsussexMan  over a year ago

Eastbourne

I’m yet to find a dogging-friendly pub but I’m sure they exist. I’ve certainly lost count of the number of times I’ve seen people fucking in pub carparks, both in and out of their cars.

Yorkshire

"I love seeing dogs in pubs, curled up under the tables. It would blow my spaniels brains if there was food though. Their belly rules their head in the absence of a ball or a rock. There would be drool. "

I used to order a little dinner for mine whilst having my dinner if we went out. Anything from some lovely ham to a nice fillet steak. Only a little treat every now and them but no problem just sitting under the table with a lovely bowl of water and few biscuits any other time.

"

You sour old fart x

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool/Wallasey

"Not yet a dog owner. But can’t see what the issue is. More and more pubs are becoming dog friendly. Esp the ‘country pub’ or ‘gastro pub’ type places. Can’t say that we’ve ever had or observed any major dramas caused by a dog in a pub. Seen plenty of human muppets cause the odd raised eyebrow. But on the whole the dogs seem to just sit by their owners table. One or two of those yappy little handbag dogs might yep if they too close to a moving chair.

"

Quite a lot of the time those dogs will have just been on a big trek, running their brains out for an hour or two with their owners and they stopped at a pub so are absolutely wiped out and just want to recharge - dog and owner

Liverpool

"Not yet a dog owner. But can’t see what the issue is. More and more pubs are becoming dog friendly. Esp the ‘country pub’ or ‘gastro pub’ type places. Can’t say that we’ve ever had or observed any major dramas caused by a dog in a pub. Seen plenty of human muppets cause the odd raised eyebrow. But on the whole the dogs seem to just sit by their owners table. One or two of those yappy little handbag dogs might yep if they too close to a moving chair.

"

This is exactly the point though. It's not the dog's behaviour per se. The presence of a dog is enough to make someone who doesn't like dogs uncomfortable. A great many dog owners lack the basic empathy to understand that. It's no fault of the dog, just the thoughtlessness of owners who believe everyone should love their dog and it's a character flaw if they don't.

"I love seeing dogs in pubs, curled up under the tables. It would blow my spaniels brains if there was food though. Their belly rules their head in the absence of a ball or a rock. There would be drool.

I used to order a little dinner for mine whilst having my dinner if we went out. Anything from some lovely ham to a nice fillet steak. Only a little treat every now and them but no problem just sitting under the table with a lovely bowl of water and few biscuits any other time. "

Aww that is really sweet

By *awpleasureMan  over a year ago

Sutton Coldfield

I like dogs but wouldn't want to eat a meal with a dog next to me panting especially if it's one that moults a lot.

If not eating, I'm not bothered especially if it's well behaved and just lies there. Most are a damn site better behaved than most kids.

Yorkshire

"I love seeing dogs in pubs, curled up under the tables. It would blow my spaniels brains if there was food though. Their belly rules their head in the absence of a ball or a rock. There would be drool.

I used to order a little dinner for mine whilst having my dinner if we went out. Anything from some lovely ham to a nice fillet steak. Only a little treat every now and them but no problem just sitting under the table with a lovely bowl of water and few biscuits any other time.

Aww that is really sweet "

Thanks, many happy times and wonderful memories. Nothing beats that unconditional love you get

Chelmsford

Aww that is really sweet

Thanks, many happy times and wonderful memories. Nothing beats that unconditional love you get "

Surely conditional on feeding the buggers

Yorkshire

Aww that is really sweet

Thanks, many happy times and wonderful memories. Nothing beats that unconditional love you get

Surely conditional on feeding the buggers"

Everyone has to eat including you I am sure

If my dog can't come, I'm not going

By *luebell888Woman  over a year ago

Glasgow

Dogs are welcome anywhere I go. I love dogs.

If I’m not visiting the pub with my dog I’m visiting it on my horse although the door isn’t quite wide enough for her to go inside. The lovely landlord always brings her out water although she does like a little sip of cider if she can get away with it.

Yorkshire

"If my dog can't come, I'm not going "

I used to take mine everywhere, including shops where I would pick up and carry and only ocassionally someone will say something. I remember going to a cafe for years and all staff fussed my dog and brought out lots of treats. This one time we went, a new manager had started and told me that no dogs were allowed. I asked since when. He said always as we sell food so I told him to ask his staff how many times they brought out treats for my dog before. He went bright red and apologised. We never went back as I did not appreciate what happened

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

Dog owners think it’s ok for their mucky mutt to rub against your jacket and fart as you eat your rare beef sandwich .

I say keep them outside and the smelly owners too x

Yorkshire

Provocative comments are not unsual here. Each to their own.

By *ebjonnsonMan  over a year ago

Maldon

"

Good. Better off without you.

By *ormerWelshcouple2020Man  over a year ago

Stourbridge

I get hassle if I don’t take the dog to the pub they all want to know where he is.

By *ud and BryanCouple  over a year ago

Boston, Lincolnshire

The Eagle in Boston welcomes well behaved owners and their dogs.

They also have a great range of real beer!

Maldon

"I get hassle if I don’t take the dog to the pub they all want to know where he is. "

Exactly how it should be.

"I love seeing dogs in pubs, curled up under the tables. It would blow my spaniels brains if there was food though. Their belly rules their head in the absence of a ball or a rock. There would be drool. "

You said the magic word, ball lol, our buddy never goes anywhere without his ball ( he's a spaniel as well lol lol)

Maldon

"Dogs are welcome anywhere I go. I love dogs."

Me too. Just lost mine and it’s still a little raw

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

I love dogs and have no problem with well behaved dogs in pubs - and accept that they are dogs so there will be the occasional hiccup. I do however agree with some of the comments about some dog owners expecting others to like their dog, this is an irrational expectation and displays a lack of empathy.

I also dislike being stared at by a dog as I eat, I've always taught mine to go and lie down when I'm eating, I certainly don't want a strangers dog drooling at my every mouthful.

Mr

By *itzi999Woman  over a year ago

Slough

I used to order a little dinner for mine whilst having my dinner if we went out. Anything from some lovely ham to a nice fillet steak. Only a little treat every now and them but no problem just sitting under the table with a lovely bowl of water and few biscuits any other time. "

aww that is so sweet!!!!

By *ud and BryanCouple  over a year ago

Boston, Lincolnshire

As a side note, for the people who bring dogs to medieval events, you will always find a large (wooden) bowl of water specially for dogs on our camp.

"Dogs are welcome anywhere I go. I love dogs.

Me too. Just lost mine and it’s still a little raw"

Huge hugs xx

Yorkshire

"I love dogs and have no problem with well behaved dogs in pubs - and accept that they are dogs so there will be the occasional hiccup. I do however agree with some of the comments about some dog owners expecting others to like their dog, this is an irrational expectation and displays a lack of empathy.

I also dislike being stared at by a dog as I eat, I've always taught mine to go and lie down when I'm eating, I certainly don't want a strangers dog drooling at my every mouthful.

Mr

"

Nobody really would argue with that. It is the owner's responsibility to ensure their dog does not spoil it for other people. I only took mine everywhere as I knew was well behaved and made sure was not a nuisance to anyone. Just like parents should do with their kids really.

"It's getting increasingly more common and some restaurants too and so should be in my opinion. Most dog owners are sensible people and ensure their dog does not cause issues. I often used to take mine out for a lovely meal "

And shops too

Maldon

Huge hugs xx"

Thank you. It was last Monday. Just two months short of his sixteenth birthday. Toughest thing I’ve ever done. The horrible drive to the vet but knowing it was the right thing, the only thing to do. A dignified end to a beautiful existence.

By *ice But Very NaughtyCouple  over a year ago

Swansea

"I love dogs and have no problem with well behaved dogs in pubs - and accept that they are dogs so there will be the occasional hiccup. I do however agree with some of the comments about some dog owners expecting others to like their dog, this is an irrational expectation and displays a lack of empathy.

Mr

Nobody really would argue with that. It is the owner's responsibility to ensure their dog does not spoil it for other people. I only took mine everywhere as I knew was well behaved and made sure was not a nuisance to anyone. Just like parents should do with their kids really. "

Absolutely. Actually I'm happier with dogs in pubs than kids. More dog owners are aware of the fact that not everyone wants their dog running around the place making a noise and getting under everyone's feet than parents are with their kids.

Mr

Yorkshire

Huge hugs xx

Thank you. It was last Monday. Just two months short of his sixteenth birthday. Toughest thing I’ve ever done. The horrible drive to the vet but knowing it was the right thing, the only thing to do. A dignified end to a beautiful existence. "

Very sorry to hear and know how hard that is. It will get better and the lovely memories you have are very precious and see you through

"If my dog can't come, I'm not going

I used to take mine everywhere, including shops where I would pick up and carry and only ocassionally someone will say something. I remember going to a cafe for years and all staff fussed my dog and brought out lots of treats. This one time we went, a new manager had started and told me that no dogs were allowed. I asked since when. He said always as we sell food so I told him to ask his staff how many times they brought out treats for my dog before. He went bright red and apologised. We never went back as I did not appreciate what happened "

Good for you, about time people stood up to managers who bully. But… the manager did have a point however the point he made was about having dogs near food…. And since the food is cooked and made up in the kitchen his point was a bit pointless…. Would he have made the same remark to a blind person with their guide dog, I wonder?

By *xfordshirecouple300Couple  over a year ago

Oxfordshire.

Went out for Sunday lunch at a local pub.

Quite surprised to see a young couple say having lunch with a dog sat in a high chair at the table.

You said the magic word, ball lol, our buddy never goes anywhere without his ball ( he's a spaniel as well lol lol) "

And their absolute joy if they find a ball on a walk. Like a lottery win

Yorkshire

"If my dog can't come, I'm not going

I used to take mine everywhere, including shops where I would pick up and carry and only ocassionally someone will say something. I remember going to a cafe for years and all staff fussed my dog and brought out lots of treats. This one time we went, a new manager had started and told me that no dogs were allowed. I asked since when. He said always as we sell food so I told him to ask his staff how many times they brought out treats for my dog before. He went bright red and apologised. We never went back as I did not appreciate what happened

Good for you, about time people stood up to managers who bully. But… the manager did have a point however the point he made was about having dogs near food…. And since the food is cooked and made up in the kitchen his point was a bit pointless…. Would he have made the same remark to a blind person with their guide dog, I wonder? "

"

Don’t trust anyone who don’t like dogs or if my dog don’t like them. Dogs far more loyal than lots of people.

"Not a fan of dogs in general but it's particularly perverse to bring one into a pub, especially if food is being served.

Trust me, the majority of dogs are cleaner than where your drink and food are coming from.

Given that dogs eat their own faeces and often have their faces stuck in other dogs' bumholes, that is quite a claim."

My Beagle has never eaten it’s own crap and as for having his face in another dogs arse haven’t lots of people on this site done the same thing. It’s called rimming

By *iberatedduoCouple  over a year ago

Ashbourne

Dogs are often better behaved than children in a pub.

"Dogs are often better behaved than children in a pub. "

So true

Edinburgh pubs are generally dog-friendly.

Fareham

I can ever forget the guy who sat alone at our local with his dog and the the thing drooled on his table. He used a beer mat to scoop it up and throw it to the floor.

I’m sure the doggy brigade would say aww but bleurghh if human spittle.

Yorkshire

I used to take mine for Sunday lunch to a very high end pub with a formal restaurant. Initially you could only take the dog to the pub but not the formal restaurant but soon after they were OK with that and had many wonderful meals there. I even used to take some dog beer with me and they even brought a little bowl to use although I would usually bring one myself. Never had any problem and often were at least 3 or 4 more dogs there too.

Yorkshire

To whom it may concern

Extreme examples of dogs sniffing bums and drooling on the tables will do nothing to justify your opinion and inappropriate provocative and abusive comments. It's not up to you to decide whether dogs should be there, it's up to those who own the place. I choose places that welcome them

By *abarellaWoman  over a year ago

Warminster

Dogs over kids any day.

Pubs should be child free zones.

I've worked in the hospitality industry for years!

Fareham

"To whom it may concern

Extreme examples of dogs sniffing bums and drooling on the tables will do nothing to justify your opinion and inappropriate provocative and abusive comments. It's not up to you to decide whether dogs should be there, it's up to those who own the place. I choose places that welcome them

"

My opinion. My preference. Dogs are foul.

We went in a gorgeous cosy pub in Mellor recently that had a gorgeous old pub cat. It was curled up infront of the open fire and occasionally moved to the sofa to cool down possibly the nicest pub i've ever been too.

All pubs should allow dogs, they boost morale and make most people more friendly and chatty.

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

"To whom it may concern

My opinion. My preference. Dogs are foul."

You’re getting confused there, chickens are fowl, dogs are canine

Fareham

"To whom it may concern

My opinion. My preference. Dogs are foul.

You’re getting confused there, chickens are fowl, dogs are canine "

Can’t you spell?

Given that dogs eat their own faeces and often have their faces stuck in other dogs' bumholes, that is quite a claim."

Dogs that eat their own or other dogs shit is called Coprophagia, it’s actually to do with diet, if they aren’t getting the right nutrients from their diet, this is what they do. Correct the diet, correct the problem.

Meanwhile dogs sniff other dogs bums to see how friendly they are, you can Google that one yourself.

From the previous quote “ Trust me, the majority of dogs are cleaner than where your drink and food are coming from” nope not trusting you on that one, given that dogs do not give a second thought about licking their arse before sticking their tongue down your throat… no just no! Plus generally (without the licking of said parts) dogs mouths are teeming with bacteria unless of course you rinse your dogs mouth out daily with Domestos…

Given that dogs eat their own faeces and often have their faces stuck in other dogs' bumholes, that is quite a claim.

Dogs that eat their own or other dogs shit is called Coprophagia, it’s actually to do with diet, if they aren’t getting the right nutrients from their diet, this is what they do. Correct the diet, correct the problem.

Meanwhile dogs sniff other dogs bums to see how friendly they are, you can Google that one yourself.

From the previous quote “ Trust me, the majority of dogs are cleaner than where your drink and food are coming from” nope not trusting you on that one, given that dogs do not give a second thought about licking their arse before sticking their tongue down your throat… no just no! Plus generally (without the licking of said parts) dogs mouths are teeming with bacteria unless of course you rinse your dogs mouth out daily with Domestos… "

Had to Google your last statement Dogs have very similar number of bacteria in their mouth as us.

Fareham

From the previous quote “ Trust me, the majority of dogs are cleaner than where your drink and food are coming from” nope not trusting you on that one, given that dogs do not give a second thought about licking their arse before sticking their tongue down your throat… no just no! Plus generally (without the licking of said parts) dogs mouths are teeming with bacteria unless of course you rinse your dogs mouth out daily with Domestos… "

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

"Dog owners think it’s ok for their mucky mutt to rub against your jacket and fart as you eat your rare beef sandwich .

I say keep them outside and the smelly owners too x"

Seriously??

By *ormerWelshcouple2020Man  over a year ago

Stourbridge

"Dogs are often better behaved than children in a pub. "

Absolutely spot on

Rather dogs than most people's kids running out the place or throwing tantrums. My dog just sits under the table and sleeps.

By *r TriomanMan  over a year ago

Malmesbury/Larkhill

"Dog owners think it’s ok for their mucky mutt to rub against your jacket and fart as you eat your rare beef sandwich .

Seriously??"

Dog friendly pubs for friendly well behaved dogs is great, absolutely no problem with this.

I'm not a dog owner and as such I don't want to sit in a pub where a badly behaved dog is barking away or circling my table begging for food; nor do I want to have to request that the owner controls their dog... I'm just out for a peaceful meal and a drink.

I am not a dog lover, my brother is. The amount of planning it takes to ensure a place is dog friendly is unfair. They was in the middle of nowhere last year, lovely country pub, no one there,,barman said no dogs allowed. As anyone with a dog knows, you took on the responsibility and it can be hard plus expensive to find ways that it doesn't restrict you.

By *arker secrets 321Man  over a year ago

West Bromwich

It's down 2 each individual owner 2 know how there dog will behave in a pub .I love dogs and wouldn't bother me .but I wouldn't av taken my dogs as they were both bad droolers wen food was about .I would eat outside with them x

I say keep them outside and the smelly owners too x"

So human don’t fart in pubs. Plenty of non dog owners lack personal hygiene your post is nonsense.

Fareham

I’ve never trusted dogs since having a paper round. Owners knowing the delivery boy was due but leaving their Alsatian out for example.

As for pubs etc. I don’t appreciate muddy walkers crowding me with their muddy dogs.

I’m sure most are insensitive to other diners.

I can appreciate some places allowing but I’ve eaten in some nice places only to have a Labrador fart next to me.

Damned uncivilised.

Maldon

With a history of visiting pubs stretching back almost 50 years I have never witnessed an unpleasant issue with a dog. Never!

Plenty with people though. Rude behaviour, d*unken behaviour, loud mouths, bores, wankers in general, the list goes on.

Perhaps the answer is pubs that you can only visit if you have a dog?

By *om and JennieCouple  over a year ago

Chams or Socials

We love seeing well behaved dogs in pubs. Ours is a nightmare and demands constant attention though so is left at home. Pubs are having to diversify if they want to remain open - and dogs don’t get d*unk & cause fights

J x

Just about all the pubs where I live allow dogs in. But the first time they misbehave they will tell the owner to take the dog out. Once a chap came in with a dog, well more of a bear really and it didn't get its crisps. So it ambled up to the bar put it paws on the bar until the staff gave it the crisps. Then it ambled to a corner ripped the pack open and ate the crisps. Then to the empty pack to its owner. It was brilliant to watch.

"I’ve never trusted dogs since having a paper round. Owners knowing the delivery boy was due but leaving their Alsatian out for example.

As for pubs etc. I don’t appreciate muddy walkers crowding me with their muddy dogs.

I can appreciate some places allowing but I’ve eaten in some nice places only to have a Labrador fart next to me.

Damned uncivilised."

You have a bit of a weird thing about dogs farting. After a few beers or a curry it’s a 100% certainty that people will fart.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

"I’ve never trusted dogs since having a paper round. Owners knowing the delivery boy was due but leaving their Alsatian out for example.

Damned uncivilised.

You have a bit of a weird thing about dogs farting. After a few beers or a curry it’s a 100% certainty that people will fart. "

Dog farts are evil

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

So human don’t fart in pubs. Plenty of non dog owners lack personal hygiene your post is nonsense. "

In all my years of going to pubs and clubs I can only think of one incidence where someone farted, and it was one of my friends who blames her silent but deadly farts on her meat eating.

Fareham

Damned uncivilised.

You have a bit of a weird thing about dogs farting. After a few beers or a curry it’s a 100% certainty that people will fart. "

The fact you find my comment weird is weird itself.

Each to their own. But the British dog lobby is a touchy beast.

Fareham

So human don’t fart in pubs. Plenty of non dog owners lack personal hygiene your post is nonsense. "

No it’s not. It’s called having an opinion. You obviously don’t like mine and love the smell of dog. Each to their own buddy.

By *irty CatsCouple  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Problems with dogs in pubs are:

Not everyone is comfortable with dogs full stop, the comfort of guests and staff should always come first!

Owners bringing their pet into the pub dirty and wet after being for a walk on the beach/countryside etc. (especially in the winter months) with no consideration to other guests/owners of the pub.

Having dogs rub up against the seats leaving hairs where unsuspecting guests on a night out will get on their clothes later on.

If an argument in the pub or a confrontation arises, dogs can become very distressed with the situation and may become vocal and indeed bite to protect.

There’s always the possibility of glass on the floor - not fair on the pooch.

Where food is served all kinds of problems arise, too many to go into here!

Dogs going to the toilet on the carpet or just a wee quick marking of their territory on the table and chair legs which you don’t always see them doing but certainly smell later on when cleaning up!

And yes, dogs themselves smell, but just like cigarettes to a smoker, owners of dogs can never smell their own dogs aroma…

The list can go on and on for not allowing dogs into a pub apart from of course dogs for the blind and disability dogs…

Before everyone jumps down my throat - we’ve had dogs most of our lives (German Shepherds) and worked in the trade, but as you can probably tell, think that dogs are better and safer at home rather than taking them to a pub, there’s just no need, take Fido home after his walk and then head to the pub for a relaxing drink, Everyone’s happy!

From the previous quote “ Trust me, the majority of dogs are cleaner than where your drink and food are coming from” nope not trusting you on that one, given that dogs do not give a second thought about licking their arse before sticking their tongue down your throat… no just no! Plus generally (without the licking of said parts) dogs mouths are teeming with bacteria unless of course you rinse your dogs mouth out daily with Domestos…

Had to Google your last statement Dogs have very similar number of bacteria in their mouth as us. "

Uhuh? But humans don’t generally go biting others when faced with animosity, dogs will. Dogs will bite either by accident or if all their other body language signs have been missed/ignored, and like a cats mouth dog bites are also likely to become infected quickly. But unlike us dog don’t brush their teeth. People feed them “dental chews” these things contain sugar which actually rot their teeth, the only thing that really cleans them is a good raw bone.

By *nchantedRoseWoman  over a year ago

cardiff

Took my dog to the pub once, never again! She's super friendly and sociable and thinks every person needs to be her friend

Whining crying and just acting like an pri*k.. finished my drink and left

Much more enjoyable (for me and anyone in pub) when she's at home and I'm in the pub

love seeing good doggys in pubs though. Just not my kno*head beagle

Yorkshire

The point is that it's all down to being responsible. If my dog was a nuisance or a risk to anyone I would not dream of taken them to pub restaurants or shops as many owners have already expressed. Just like I would not kids if they were a nuisance to others with their behaviour and as a parent I would know if that was appropriate or not. If a pub decides to let owners and their dogs in, its up to them and they usually manage the process very well. Sure there will be times when it's not appropriate and I would hope a responsible owner will know that. As many have said already, I have never seen any issues personally and used to take mine almost to every pub/restaurant/shop that allowed it nearby. The odd ocassion of a misbehaving dog was swiftly dealt with by the owner or staff. And yes hygiene and being sensible with that is of utmost importance too. Although got lots of love and attention, certainly never engaged in 'french kissing' with my dog despite being very clean and well behaved including brushing the teeth regularly and annually cleaned by the vet,until last few months when was not well and and that would have been unkind. Whatever one's opinions, there is no need to express it in such unpleasant manner - some people's attitudes leave me aghast and no I don't belong to a particular lobby. I am happy going to pubs that allow dogs but if you aren't, there is always another pub down the road I am sure. This thread and the incredulous comments posted by some is enough to put anyone of the forums for good. Its certainly the last comment from me on this thread. I am sure someone will probably still feel the need to respond but unfortunately I easily switch off when lack of respect and manners is in short supply.

By *he love catsCouple  over a year ago

South Wales

Not just pubs but our dog cones to hotel's as well lol. X

I’d also rather dogs were brought into a supermarket instead of noise kids running about and treating it like a highway on their scooters

I have more dogs than most would consider normal but they are very well trained and have good manners in public. Our latest pup just slept under the table the last meal we went out for and he was only 16weeks old. If the dog and owner and well trained then I have no objection to them being in a pub/restaurant. As has already been said most are better behaved than a lot of kids parents take out for meals.

Get a guide for the country, you can stay out of even more then Tom.

Fareham

I see nothing wrong with dogs in traditional pubs as long as they keep off the chairs.

One time we went into a mod style pub and were chased out by their bull mastiff. They didn’t stop it. Another pub which I think is now owned by James May in Wilts used to be full of the owners Alsatians. I didn’t really relax with them about!

But dogs in gastro pubs are my main concern for the same reasons as listed by others.

But the pro dog comments say much about us as a nation.

My wife is of Jamaican heritage and out there a dog stays in the yard.

By *ady LickWoman  over a year ago

Northampton Somewhere

I think the general advice would be if you don't like dogs or don't want to get dogs hairs on your black jeans don't go to a pub that lets them in!

Chelmsford

One pub I popped into without realizing it was dog friendly quickly became a barking contest with bowls of drinking water spilt all over the floor causing a slip hazard..

Never ever again..

And most of these dog owners cannot handle a drink..

"If my dog can't come, I'm not going "

Quite right! I have always been the same!

Chelmsford

I was in a pub when a man walked in with a dog on a lead. To be fair the dog was behaved but the dog owner asked for a pint of the stongest ale.. two pints later he fell off his bar stool...dog owners cannot hold their beer ...

"I was in a pub when a man walked in with a dog on a lead. To be fair the dog was behaved but the dog owner asked for a pint of the stongest ale.. two pints later he fell off his bar stool...dog owners cannot hold their beer ... "

Course he did Tom

» Add a new message to this topic