FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Where did you get yours?

Where did you get yours?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ickshawed OP   Couple  over a year ago

Wolverhampton

That's right. I'm being nosey about your furniture. Not the sofas and beds, unless you're desperate to share. But the big brown stuff (other colours are available). Those tables, chest of drawers, wardrobes etc.

Are you an IKEA fan, always John Lewis, or did you build it yourself? Does it all match? Do you take pride in it?

Ours is a mishmash of charity shop purchases, bits from auctions, Argos clearance type shops and what people gave us. I bought the house just after my dad's friend's mother in law died so was given a lot of her furniture. She was married to a vicar, so I have furniture from a vicarage. Not bad for a die-hard atheist

The only matching is that it's mostly dark brown wood. Oh, and all dusty I'm just happy not to have paid a lot for any of it.

So how about you?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Charity shops and various retailers.

By *ighty_tightyMan  over a year ago

Norfolk/Suffolk

I have a selection of IKEA, homebase and Dunelm.

The sofa came from the neighbours, we lifted a fence panel and carried it through lol

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

A hand me down from a family friend.

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

I'll know it when I find it.

Mix - we got given some beautiful furniture when we bought this place. The previous owners left some very nice and heavy wardrobes, as well as some lovely home office bits. The rest, charity shop, John Lewis (work incentive scheme means I get a lot of vouchers in a year). IKEA - one of those big standard bookcases. I'd like to get someone in to build some this year.

Local shop that sells brand new M&S furniture at a fraction of the price. I do love good quality bargains

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

"Charity shops and various retailers."

This and none of it matches but it all has a story

By *parrow77Man  over a year ago

cheshire

My sofa chair and bed all ikea as most my stuff is

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

Bed is ikea, wardrobe is argos, chest of drawers was free off a friend, sofa was from a charity, coffee table is my mum's old one, dining table and chairs were free off a friend and TV stand was from wayfair. We also have some ikea shelves and a few bits from Facebook market place. Things mostly match. All the bedroom furniture apart from the wardrobe is white. Living room furniture is a mix of grey and light wood.

By *ickshawed OP   Couple  over a year ago

Wolverhampton

I love that no-one so far seems to have spent much on theirs. Although I don't know about IKEA prices - I've never been inside an IKEA.

I do wonder where the main shops make their money?

By *iamondCougarWoman  over a year ago

Norfuck! / Lincolnshire

A bit of mix and match … Dunelm for bedroom furniture. Barker and Stone for lounge furniture, my kitchen bar stools are from pepper mill

Half of my furniture is vintage pieces that my mum has done up for me. I have some ikea bits but I nearly always buy old.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I love that no-one so far seems to have spent much on theirs. Although I don't know about IKEA prices - I've never been inside an IKEA.

I do wonder where the main shops make their money? "

I think a lot of people still use the main shops. I couldn't bring myself to pay the prices . We have bought sofas and mattresses new though.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

A lot of IKEA in the bedrooms. Our living room suite is about fifth hand, we bought it of friends, who'd inherited it from their parent's friends. The dining room furniture was left in the house when we bought it. My desk and chair were supplied by work for COVID home working.

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

"I love that no-one so far seems to have spent much on theirs. Although I don't know about IKEA prices - I've never been inside an IKEA.

I do wonder where the main shops make their money? "

Those that have the money for it seem to more than make up for those of us that don't. I have a cousin who had a whole house of solid oak furniture when I visited him 10 years ago and now I don't think I recognise any item of furniture from his previous house. I guess that's why there's so much second hand furniture available.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

IKEA isn't massively expensive, unless you get them to deliver to your house. We just shove everything in my estate car with the seats down.

By *otSoPoshWoman  over a year ago

In a ball gown because that's how we roll in N. Devon

Mix of IKEA, other flat pack, some hand me downs from when the entire family moved from 5 houses/flats into 3 in Devon, a few solid oak chests of drawers from a local carpenter, bits I made....

It makes little to no sense from an aesthetic point of view but I love it.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I do wonder where the main shops make their money?

Those that have the money for it seem to more than make up for those of us that don't. I have a cousin who had a whole house of solid oak furniture when I visited him 10 years ago and now I don't think I recognise any item of furniture from his previous house. I guess that's why there's so much second hand furniture available. "

Yep. There's a couple of huge warehouses in this area selling second hand furniture, a lot of its quite new. I sometimes wish we had a huge house to put it in

Mine is whatever i see that takes my fancy... John Lewis, freecycle, my animal charity, Laura Ashley + IKEA... Bed is muji

I like old fashioned furniture. So go bargain hunting

All over, really. Made.com, Laura Ashley, M&S, John Lewis, White Company, small independents that handcraft wooden furniture. I have the odd thing from IKEA, but their furniture can work really well with other pieces … not when done to death in isolation, as an IKEA room is instantly recognisable as such!

My favourite is my Habitat Radius dining set. It’s solid oak and will easily outlive me

My mother is an interior designer so I do love interiors, but lack her eye and practical skill.

By *eroLondonMan  over a year ago

Mayfair

Bed is MUJI.

Wardrobe is BoConcept.

Furniture is MADE.com

Dining table: Skandium.

And then there's the collectibles...

Arne Jacobsen "ant chair" (1952), Guy Rogers "manhattan chair" (1960)...

And lots of stuff from IKEA.

I make furniture for a living,,, yes I know blatant I know a bit about this stuff post,,,, ?? sorry, I've nicked all my stuff from work really, some obscure some modern some old some horrible stuff as well! ??

If you want me to give my opinion I'm happy to, just send me a photo, and maybe with you in it?? ??????

» Add a new message to this topic