FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Romance fraud

Romance fraud

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icecouple561 OP   Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

The scams that make people believe that someone is in love with them to extort money. Usually vulnerable and lonely people are targeted on line and manipulated into sending, in some cases, their life savings.

Do you know anyone who's fallen foul of this? Did you manage to help them realise it was a scam?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

No I don't know anyone in person who experienced that but I think it is important warning, especially here.. following with an interest.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I've been watching some stuff on YouTube and I'm shocked by how invested these people become and how difficult it is to get them to believe that the person they're talking to isn't who they say they are.

"I've been watching some stuff on YouTube and I'm shocked by how invested these people become and how difficult it is to get them to believe that the person they're talking to isn't who they say they are."

I'd like to watch that too if you care to share links please !

Maybe con artists are most sophisticated manipulators out there? There must be some gaslighting involved and picking people who would feed of this kind of blind loyalty/dedication.

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

No. But I think with the growth of parasocial relationships on social media, this will become a bigger problem. (There's one YouTube channel I watch, the owner has a PO box where random viewers send her gifts. I do not get it. The closest I do is let the ads run in full while I go to the loo )

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I've been watching some stuff on YouTube and I'm shocked by how invested these people become and how difficult it is to get them to believe that the person they're talking to isn't who they say they are.

I'd like to watch that too if you care to share links please !

Maybe con artists are most sophisticated manipulators out there? There must be some gaslighting involved and picking people who would feed of this kind of blind loyalty/dedication. "

I was mostly old episodes of Dr Phil (don't judge me ). I'll post up a link layer to one I found particularly awful. The woman was recently widowed and was preyed on by a scammer.

When Mr Ns stepfather was widowed he suddenly began getting contact from young, pretty women in foreign countries. Fortunately we had access to his social media and warned him

Forum Mod

East Sussex

An older friend has sold everything including her marital home to send money over a period of about 25 years to a younger waiter she met on holiday shortly after she was made a widow

By *naswingdressWoman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

"An older friend has sold everything including her marital home to send money over a period of about 25 years to a younger waiter she met on holiday shortly after she was made a widow "

It's absolutely despicable

Yes no sort off maybe a bit different

Meet her online spent 7 years off my life with her for her to brake me and leave me broken for the rest off my life because she got bored with her toy as per her words

By *nlyfun3Woman  over a year ago

NEAR Berkhamsted,Herts

Have you watched the Tinder Swindler on Netflix. It shows you how awful people can be

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"An older friend has sold everything including her marital home to send money over a period of about 25 years to a younger waiter she met on holiday shortly after she was made a widow

It's absolutely despicable"

It is. He does actually exist in the form he's represented himself which is unusual but he can't leave his wife of course...

"An older friend has sold everything including her marital home to send money over a period of about 25 years to a younger waiter she met on holiday shortly after she was made a widow "

Oh wow.. and BTW no judgment about trash TV I used to watch 90 days wedding or whatever it was called. Not the same but I wonder if any of those survive or were just used for visas

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Have you watched the Tinder Swindler on Netflix. It shows you how awful people can be"

No I haven't. I might have a look at some point

"Have you watched the Tinder Swindler on Netflix. It shows you how awful people can be

No I haven't. I might have a look at some point"

I watched it last night….very shocking indeed

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"An older friend has sold everything including her marital home to send money over a period of about 25 years to a younger waiter she met on holiday shortly after she was made a widow

Oh wow.. and BTW no judgment about trash TV I used to watch 90 days wedding or whatever it was called. Not the same but I wonder if any of those survive or were just used for visas "

He didn't want to live here, he's married and can't leave his wife for various ridiculous reasons. He did however need money for medical bills, farm machinery, house repairs, a car...

"Have you watched the Tinder Swindler on Netflix. It shows you how awful people can be

It's a really good doc. Inventing Anna is of similar nature but I think it's not as pleasant viewing. Just seen two episodes and I find this type of series hard to digest. Lots of eye rolling.

By *nlyfun3Woman  over a year ago

NEAR Berkhamsted,Herts

It's worth a look. Shows how genuine people really arent

By *.L.0460.Woman  over a year ago

Bognor Regis

It's so easy for monsters to prey on people online rather than having to put the effort in meeting their victims face to face- it's easier to keep up the pretence & they can be targeting multiple victims at the same time. I'll never understand how a usually sane, rational person could fall for these scams, but having never been that vulnerable & lonely, it's hard to get an insight into the process

Oh wow.. and BTW no judgment about trash TV I used to watch 90 days wedding or whatever it was called. Not the same but I wonder if any of those survive or were just used for visas

He didn't want to live here, he's married and can't leave his wife for various ridiculous reasons. He did however need money for medical bills, farm machinery, house repairs, a car..."

What did she get out of it ? Apart from his verbal gratitude I guess ? And more demands?

By *etcplCouple  over a year ago

Gapping Fanny

The closest was getting fleeced by an ex, but it wasn’t true romance fraud.

Sadly people falling foul of fraudsters is far too common. When you read the comments from the fraudsters you realise how sociopathic they can be.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

He didn't want to live here, he's married and can't leave his wife for various ridiculous reasons. He did however need money for medical bills, farm machinery, house repairs, a car...

What did she get out of it ? Apart from his verbal gratitude I guess ? And more demands?"

She felt loved. My mum talked to her about it and tried to help her but she just said "you don't know what it's like to be lonely".

Bognor Regis

What did she get out of it ? Apart from his verbal gratitude I guess ? And more demands?

She felt loved. My mum talked to her about it and tried to help her but she just said "you don't know what it's like to be lonely". "

God that's so sad

I wouldn't say that I've been scammed but I did meet someone on here in 2018 who I had a relationship with. Cutting to the chase, he took over £2000 from me and I only got back about £300. He also got a loan with me as guarantor. I'm convinced he did it deliberately to try and make me responsible for paying his debt. He broke up with me during lockdown and I set the wheels in motion with the FOS and although it took me 15 months, I got my name removed from the loan. I know he's done this before but thankfully he's long gone now and I'm thankfully back in the financial position I was in before he took out that loan. Just goes to show you have to be careful who you meet, even on here x

By *hort Stop 1969Woman  over a year ago

Somewhere in East Lothian

It's a whole different form of cat pishing with monetary value. I almost got caught out on POF some years ago, top of the range iPhone at that time. Story along lines of he was in USA armed forces and weren't allowed Mobile phones. I looked further into this and that's absolutely not true. The quickness of the messages and love poems (boak) raised my suspicions and I copied and pasted some of the content to find they had done exactly the same as me. Came off POF then. Re joined and its no different - just need to look at a images and wording of text and be on guard.

I've no money anyhoo (I'm not orientated by it), so they'd have a difficult time trying pmsl.

She felt loved. My mum talked to her about it and tried to help her but she just said "you don't know what it's like to be lonely". "

Some people settle for a very little substitute of what love truly should be. Sad indeed.

By *iss SJWoman  over a year ago

Hull

"It's a whole different form of cat pishing with monetary value. I almost got caught out on POF some years ago, top of the range iPhone at that time. Story along lines of he was in USA armed forces and weren't allowed Mobile phones. I looked further into this and that's absolutely not true. The quickness of the messages and love poems (boak) raised my suspicions and I copied and pasted some of the content to find they had done exactly the same as me. Came off POF then. Re joined and its no different - just need to look at a images and wording of text and be on guard.

I've no money anyhoo (I'm not orientated by it), so they'd have a difficult time trying pmsl. "

There’s tons of those type of profiles on FBook. They reply to women’s comments saying they love their profile and asking them to send a friend request. They are fishing for any responses and work it down from there I guess. Also seen lots of young attractive women’s profiles that reply to men’s comments just saying ‘hi’ or ‘hello’ but probably for the same reasons.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

That last sentence is one of the main reasons it happens. They prey on those type of people unfortunately. I’ll never understand how people respond to this kind of attention with money, so I’ll comment no further

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

She felt loved. My mum talked to her about it and tried to help her but she just said "you don't know what it's like to be lonely".

That last sentence is one of the main reasons it happens. They prey on those type of people unfortunately. I’ll never understand how people respond to this kind of attention with money, so I’ll comment no further "

Me neither. I watched the tinder swindler last night and I must admit I had trouble finding any sympathy for those women.

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

Southern Wales

A lady I work with. She got chatting to a fella on a dating site (for some considerable time I think). Said he needed £250 for something, she lent money off someone to give to him. He buggered off never to be seen again, meanwhile she was left trying to pay the money back.

That last sentence is one of the main reasons it happens. They prey on those type of people unfortunately. I’ll never understand how people respond to this kind of attention with money, so I’ll comment no further

Me neither. I watched the tinder swindler last night and I must admit I had trouble finding any sympathy for those women. "

Why?

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

Me neither. I watched the tinder swindler last night and I must admit I had trouble finding any sympathy for those women. "

I’ve yet to watch it, but think I’ll find myself asking them out loud, at the TV ‘why? Why do you do that? What are doing?’ that’s the polite version

Not quite the same but my mum was scammed of £300 by so called “tree surgeons “ who “noticed” her trees at the back of the garden needed tiding up. All they did of course was cut a few branches off and left her to dispose of them. She didn’t have the money so they took her to the bank then left her there. Bank were in the wrong to let her draw money pitas my sister had POA, as mum had dementia. Bank refunded the money, but could have been a lot worse

As for your original question, no.

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

I listened to a story on the radio about a woman who targets senior police and legal people. She would meet online, date them get to know their family over a year or 2 , move in together renting, set a wedding date , use inheritance from them for deposit and the wedding then empty joint accounts and completely disappear a few days or weeks before the big day with 100K or more . They reckon she’s done it 4 times over 7-8 years and broke no laws because it’s always joint accounts.

I know when I left my marriage, the loneliness is what makes you vulnerable to such scams. Particularly if your friends now have different lives. In some way I am thankful before my marriage ended, I had watched helplessly as a work colleague threw his life away "helping a vulnerable woman ". Christ! In two years he had lost his job, house, his friends and family. He was addicted to drugs and still kept giving her what money he had, loans, credit cards etc. We believe that he is now dead, there's a name that matches his age and birthplace. But it certainly made me weary of connecting with someone who is too good to be true.

By *hort Stop 1969Woman  over a year ago

Somewhere in East Lothian

"It's a whole different form of cat pishing with monetary value. I almost got caught out on POF some years ago, top of the range iPhone at that time. Story along lines of he was in USA armed forces and weren't allowed Mobile phones. I looked further into this and that's absolutely not true. The quickness of the messages and love poems (boak) raised my suspicions and I copied and pasted some of the content to find they had done exactly the same as me. Came off POF then. Re joined and its no different - just need to look at a images and wording of text and be on guard.

I've no money anyhoo (I'm not orientated by it), so they'd have a difficult time trying pmsl.

There’s tons of those type of profiles on FBook. They reply to women’s comments saying they love their profile and asking them to send a friend request. They are fishing for any responses and work it down from there I guess. Also seen lots of young attractive women’s profiles that reply to men’s comments just saying ‘hi’ or ‘hello’ but probably for the same reasons. "

Yep, had that too -had to basically lock my FBook account to stop that happening. The behaviour is also similar on Insta with the friend request but their account is locked, they follow thousands of people but onky a handful follow them. Immediate red flag.

One of the things I really dislike about myself at the moment - and I’m just being honest - is that I feel really impatient towards people who have fallen foul of these scams. I don’t understand how they could let it happen, unless elderly and not in full possession of their faculties.

My best friend recommended I watch Tinder Swindler, but I knew it would only wind me up so didn’t. I am usually kind and empathic, but not with this I’m afraid.

Hope that doesn’t sound too awful

Yes unfortunately I do know someone who was the victim of romance fraud.

About 5 years ago a work colleague in her 50's and been chatting to a guy on line, she would often tell us about him and that he was younger than her about 35 I think.

She told us he was in the American military so hadn't met yet but had plans for him to visit.

One day she was crying and revealed that he had scammed her out of 3,000. He told her that he'd tried to book flights but there had been an issue and that because he was in the military needed extra papers that he needed to pay for. He'd also had several hundreds of pounds out of her for various reasons. She admitted that she knew something was off but felt too ashamed to talk to anybody about it and she was so desperate to believe that it was real that she just went along with it.

"One of the things I really dislike about myself at the moment - and I’m just being honest - is that I feel really impatient towards people who have fallen foul of these scams. I don’t understand how they could let it happen, unless elderly and not in full possession of their faculties.

My best friend recommended I watch Tinder Swindler, but I knew it would only wind me up so didn’t. I am usually kind and empathic, but not with this I’m afraid.

Hope that doesn’t sound too awful "

People are vulnerable for all kinds of things and this is how these scammers work they work on loneliness and vulnerability.

"One of the things I really dislike about myself at the moment - and I’m just being honest - is that I feel really impatient towards people who have fallen foul of these scams. I don’t understand how they could let it happen, unless elderly and not in full possession of their faculties.

Hope that doesn’t sound too awful "

I dont think it sounds too awful as it is extremely difficult to understand how people can be controlled.

The Tinder Swindler was glammed up, watching it I was thinking 'What your'e taking out a loan for him!' serves you right. But on reflection, they were women that were subject to coercive control and deserving of sympathy. If he had been a 'woman beater' im sure there would have been instant empathy from me and everybody. But that doesnt make for popular tv.

Another one worth a watch on Netflix is the 'puppetmaster' its as interesting, mind bogling and tragic as you can get.

Some people just have that ability to manipulate others no matter how 'together' they may seem. Very dangerous people.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

My mum has been scammed a couple of times, not romance fraud but the Microsoft one.

My personal opinion is that one part of me can't believe that people have fallen for it but having seen the effect it has on them I have a lot of sympathy.

I remember when my mum called me describing proudly how she'd managed to install the special software the man from Microsoft had talked her through ***FOR THE SECOND TIME*** that I literally just laid my head on the table in disbelief. She was old, she didn't understand computers, she had forgotten it happened before because she'd had a head injury and she was frightened that her computer would go wrong. She was the victim. The man who did it was the criminal.

Con artists or as I prefer to call them criminals are experts at exploiting the smallest vulnerability and building on it to their advantage until you're so deep in that you genuinely think everyone else is wrong. Even my mum was worried in case I'd reported an innocent man to the police.

If you get bored one day. Make an account on a dating site as a male.

Oh my god. You are inundated with bots, scammers, women selling pics and videos (doesn't anyone have a job anymore?).

I've encountered so many of them I can recognise them from the first message they send. The sad part is there must be tons of guys getting fleeced because there isn't any sign of them slowing down.

I now have a system. When I get a message the first thing I do is run thier profile pics through a reverse image search. You'll get loads of hits and find out they are using the pics of some random from Instagram or porn star pics etc.

The worst part is even if you report those accounts they never get banned or deleted.

Not all dating sites are like this. But there are plenty of them out there. Some communications platforms have the same issue too. Ever used telegram? I got 140 spam messages literally 10 minutes after I made my account. They're everywhere.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

I had one, he groomed me for months and one day pulled the I need help with money, I pulled the I'm a single parent on benefits with 5p to wipe my arse card on him and never heard from him again.

I was one of the lucky ones with having street smarts but some have had horrific stories

Paradise, Herts

Me neither. I watched the tinder swindler last night and I must admit I had trouble finding any sympathy for those women.

Why? "

I don’t know the answer to that. Maybe I’m not vulnerable. I’ve no idea. I spent the whole time thinking what the hell are you doing??

I’m not saying I don’t have sympathy for the elderly and vulnerable. It’s a scum of the earth thing to do but those two women just saw his lifestyle and money and got drawn in. They wouldn’t have met him if he worked in Tesco’s! I didn’t enjoy the programme I thought it was boring and predicable.

Paradise, Herts

Why?

I don’t know the answer to that. Maybe I’m not vulnerable. I’ve no idea. I spent the whole time thinking what the hell are you doing??

I’m not saying I don’t have sympathy for the elderly and vulnerable. It’s a scum of the earth thing to do but those two women just saw his lifestyle and money and got drawn in. They wouldn’t have met him if he worked in Tesco’s! I didn’t enjoy the programme I thought it was boring and predicable. "

*predictable

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Why?

I’m not saying I don’t have sympathy for the elderly and vulnerable. It’s a scum of the earth thing to do but those two women just saw his lifestyle and money and got drawn in. They wouldn’t have met him if he worked in Tesco’s! I didn’t enjoy the programme I thought it was boring and predicable. "

Greed does play a part in some of these scams, that's another vulnerability that they exploit. Lots of them present as having a good lifestyle and potential access to money that they need help to get hold of.

I haven't watched Tinder Swindler but some of the stuff I have watched I wonder why these women in their 60s and 70s think well set up, attractive, young men are interested in them. Hell I question why younger men are interested in me on here and I know that's just sex! Their vulnerability is probably partly vanity

By *hunderace...Man  over a year ago

Porthmadog

Most will know the story of what happened to my son, only a tiny few know where his depression came from.

Andrew at the age of 14 inherited part of a lottery jackpot win, this happened at a time when because of his mother poisoning him against me I'd moved to Australia. I lived there for 10yrs until he found out his mother's lies and contacted me... I moved back instantly to be his Dad once again.

I never wanted anything to do with his money and he was told never to spend more than £10 on presents for me, this was because not only did I not want him to think I only saw him as a cash cow but I could see that growing up without my grounded guidance his 23yr old "look at me" attitude would attract the wrong types.

After a few girls who were obviously gold diggers with sad stories he met a girl from Leicester.

Butter wouldn't melt or so 1st impressions led me to believe but what I know now I didn't at the time, she was an addict of crack amongst other substances who's addictions came with many associated convictions...

My son was immature in many ways but perhaps like me his humour hid many demons, I was 1st alerted to her ways when after a simple argument he spent £12,000 on a car just to say sorry.

I'd always told him to not to tell of his good fortune to anyone but this advice he never listened too, she'd already moved in by the time he'd bought her the car and she'd already introduced him to her addictions, maybe he'd experimented before I've no idea but without me knowing he now had a regular habit, while he was buying she was happy to stay.

Of course I had no idea of what was going on but as his father I could see changes in his attitude, I suspected addiction but it was something he was never going to admit and didn't until his life hung by a thread twice inside a month a few months later.

Prior to these hospitalizations she left him, to be honest although I had no idea of her influence on his new lifestyle I saw it as a good thing as I grown to intensely dislike her... something about her demeanour screamed at me she was no good.

Her parting gift was to make a hideously false accusation about him to the police, when he told me of this I didn't believe it from the get go as her story was so unbelievable and full of holes, my advice to him was not to worry and any court would see right through it. He was arrested and questioned by officers who didn't believe it either but due to the nature of her accusation had to follow procedures.

Weeks went by when one day I was in his house which is now mine chatting with my son, the front door was knocked and as I was sitting in the front kitchen I heard the conversation clearly. Her brothers were there threatening him but saying all he had to do was to pay her £100,000 and she'd drop the charges, their laughter confirmed to me that these charges were nothing but lies. What I then did in reflex any father would've done...

After his later hospitalizations I'm proud to say he got over his addiction but the depression had already took its hold and toll to the extent he ended his own life.

She's had a string of convictions since and is now in jail for a short stay for car theft.

Her attempts at extortion were so shameful to him it fed a depression I knew little of and this was all too much for him to take.

I seek no attention but apparently it's therapeutic to share this kinda thing.

Never known anyone but its a horrible disgusting thing to have done to you.

Any sort of exploitation is.

"Most will know the story of what happened to my son, only a tiny few know where his depression came from.

Andrew at the age of 14 inherited part of a lottery jackpot win, this happened at a time when because of his mother poisoning him against me I'd moved to Australia. I lived there for 10yrs until he found out his mother's lies and contacted me... I moved back instantly to be his Dad once again.

I never wanted anything to do with his money and he was told never to spend more than £10 on presents for me, this was because not only did I not want him to think I only saw him as a cash cow but I could see that growing up without my grounded guidance his 23yr old "look at me" attitude would attract the wrong types.

After a few girls who were obviously gold diggers with sad stories he met a girl from Leicester.

Butter wouldn't melt or so 1st impressions led me to believe but what I know now I didn't at the time, she was an addict of crack amongst other substances who's addictions came with many associated convictions...

My son was immature in many ways but perhaps like me his humour hid many demons, I was 1st alerted to her ways when after a simple argument he spent £12,000 on a car just to say sorry.

I'd always told him to not to tell of his good fortune to anyone but this advice he never listened too, she'd already moved in by the time he'd bought her the car and she'd already introduced him to her addictions, maybe he'd experimented before I've no idea but without me knowing he now had a regular habit, while he was buying she was happy to stay.

Of course I had no idea of what was going on but as his father I could see changes in his attitude, I suspected addiction but it was something he was never going to admit and didn't until his life hung by a thread twice inside a month a few months later.

Prior to these hospitalizations she left him, to be honest although I had no idea of her influence on his new lifestyle I saw it as a good thing as I grown to intensely dislike her... something about her demeanour screamed at me she was no good.

Her parting gift was to make a hideously false accusation about him to the police, when he told me of this I didn't believe it from the get go as her story was so unbelievable and full of holes, my advice to him was not to worry and any court would see right through it. He was arrested and questioned by officers who didn't believe it either but due to the nature of her accusation had to follow procedures.

Weeks went by when one day I was in his house which is now mine chatting with my son, the front door was knocked and as I was sitting in the front kitchen I heard the conversation clearly. Her brothers were there threatening him but saying all he had to do was to pay her £100,000 and she'd drop the charges, their laughter confirmed to me that these charges were nothing but lies. What I then did in reflex any father would've done...

After his later hospitalizations I'm proud to say he got over his addiction but the depression had already took its hold and toll to the extent he ended his own life.

She's had a string of convictions since and is now in jail for a short stay for car theft.

Her attempts at extortion were so shameful to him it fed a depression I knew little of and this was all too much for him to take.

"

I’m so sorry that this happened to your son, such a tragic story . Sending hugs and hope life will sort her out

Bognor Regis

"

"

I'm genuinely sorry for your loss- you show real strength sharing this & I hope it is therapeutic to discuss it. I hope you have some good memories of your boy to help drown out the sad ones.

Sending you a hug xx

» Add a new message to this topic