FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Should Will Smith have slapped Chris

Should Will Smith have slapped Chris

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *piced Dark Rum OP   Man  over a year ago

Torbay

Should we celebrate or condemn Will for his actions at the Oscars?

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Condemn

Did Will Smith hit someone?

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"Did Will Smith hit someone?"

First I heard!

"Did Will Smith hit someone?

First I heard! "

It's all over the news

By *andyfloss2000Woman  over a year ago

ashford

Never an excuse to resort to violence x

By *avie65Man  over a year ago

In the west.

Condem. He knows how to act in public through media training.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"Did Will Smith hit someone?"

It's been kept very hush hush.

By *razytimesinloveCouple  over a year ago

SW Scotland

If he felt that strongly he should have made Chris Rock apologize. If Chris refused then yes he should have hit him

By *icole 123Woman  over a year ago

Baildon,West Yorkshire

Yes,he should be condemned for it,I don’t like violence in any way,shape or form,but Jada is toxic,and the look she threw at him when he actually laughed at Chris Rock..

He needs to get out of that marriage

You get canceled for making jokes about Jews, people with disabilities, non straight people. Yet make a joke about a woman suffering from alopecia and it’s a joke? People are too selective. So what if Will firstly laughed at the joke, some people can take a joke, some people take a joke but it hurts them inside.

An open handed slap probably hurt for a bit, but jokes that have victims probably do more damage.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I don't care about what two grown men who seem to be important for acting do. They both should have known better and need to give their heads a wobble. Immature louts behaving no better than blokes down the pub getting into a fight because one insulted the others girlfriend the only difference is the suits they were wearing

By *adshaggersCouple  over a year ago

aldershot

The joke was poor taste, did Chris Rock know that Will’s wife suffered with Alapecha? Beside all of that hitting some one is inexcusable.

This incident is really not this deep. Another argument for abolishing celebrities. That’s it.

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

Obviously not

That’s the only civil answer

Civil society doesn’t allow physically attacking someone for making noise with their mouth

Condemn.

He could have made a reference to the joke in his acceptance speech and made his point in a more dignified way. I think there is a lot going on in their relationship that has more to do with this though.

"This incident is really not this deep. Another argument for abolishing celebrities. That’s it. "

They kissed and made up apparently. The Academy is loving it today though which is . Way more important things to worry about. Shrugs*

By *iker BullMan  over a year ago

leeds

[Removed by poster at 29/03/22 09:42:40]

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

"This incident is really not this deep. Another argument for abolishing celebrities. That’s it.

They kissed and made up apparently. The Academy is loving it today though which is . Way more important things to worry about. Shrugs*"

This. I didn’t even know who the other bloke was. I’m so not up on celebrities.

By *yron69Man  over a year ago

Fareham

He should be banned from the future Oscars for life.

No way to behave. I mean he was laughing and only reacted after judging his wife’s reaction.

I’d give Rock the benefit of the doubt as I think his joke was not severe but then again they know a comedian might let rip at them.

The question is - is it the end of comedy?

By *ogerroger69Man  over a year ago

West Yorks

Jada is toxic.

Agreed

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"This incident is really not this deep. Another argument for abolishing celebrities. That’s it.

They kissed and made up apparently. The Academy is loving it today though which is . Way more important things to worry about. Shrugs*"

Did they? How career savingly genuine. .

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

They kissed and made up apparently. The Academy is loving it today though which is . Way more important things to worry about. Shrugs*

This. I didn’t even know who the other bloke was. I’m so not up on celebrities. "

You beat me too it.

I was just going to say , who ?

By *rwhowhatwherewhyMan  over a year ago

Aylesbury

I was bored of this by the end of yesterday.

I’m sorry, but I disagree. If that was my Wife and someone made fun like that of her medical condition….only thing I have is it was a slap, should have been a right hook.

I’m not one for violence, there are plenty of examples where I’ve walked out of situations before they got out of hand, but sometimes things have to been done.

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

I don't think the incident shows either of them in a good light

By *adyJayneWoman  over a year ago

Burnleyish (She/They)

Both were put of hand and should be condemned.

"I don't think the incident shows either of them in a good light "

Bad boys 2.

Honestly

"I was bored of this by the end of yesterday."

Literally. I am ready for it to become a meme and move on.

Everybody hates Chris.

"Everybody hates Chris."

My favourite episode so far

By * and R cple4Couple  over a year ago

swansea

"Everybody hates Chris."
About time! I’ve been waiting patiently for someone to reference this ..

By *AYENCouple  over a year ago

Lincolnshire

I don't condone violence and have never instigated violence, but public humiliation of my wife, or racial abuse towards my mixed-race daughter are occasions that might change that.

Everyone has their limit and WS's was crossed, it was only a slap and I think he would have hated himself more for letting it go, though as a public figure, walking out with his wife would have been a bit more dignified.

K

Making jokes is all about standing on the edge and pushing, all good comedians do it, if they go too far then that’s a conversation they can have afterwards but it’s a conversation, not a physical act, what smith did is inexcusable on every level, also he should be celebrating the fact he’s nailed a best actor Oscar and only the fourth black man to do so in history but instead it will be remembered for slapping another black man, the collapse of all civil society starts with polarisation of opinion and in fighting amongst individual groups, it’s a damning time to be alive

I don't care why he did it or who did it, I've just always thought Chris Rock looks like he needs a slap.. From New jack city, to suoer fly to lethal weapon 10.3.....

Fareham

Nobody has a face asking to be slapped. I had it done to me by bullies. It’s humiliating and savage.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

A woman is insulted and the main conversation revolves around the honour (or otherwise) of two men. .

I suggest a duel

Lincolnshire

"Making jokes is all about standing on the edge and pushing, all good comedians do it, if they go too far then that’s a conversation they can have afterwards but it’s a conversation, not a physical act, what smith did is inexcusable on every level, also he should be celebrating the fact he’s nailed a best actor Oscar and only the fourth black man to do so in history but instead it will be remembered for slapping another black man, the collapse of all civil society starts with polarisation of opinion and in fighting amongst individual groups, it’s a damning time to be alive "

I agree with what you said when it's generic, when it's focused on an individual, it goes beyond comedy.

Lincolnshire

"Making jokes is all about standing on the edge and pushing, all good comedians do it, if they go too far then that’s a conversation they can have afterwards but it’s a conversation, not a physical act, what smith did is inexcusable on every level, also he should be celebrating the fact he’s nailed a best actor Oscar and only the fourth black man to do so in history but instead it will be remembered for slapping another black man, the collapse of all civil society starts with polarisation of opinion and in fighting amongst individual groups, it’s a damning time to be alive

I agree with what you said when it's generic, when it's focused on an individual, it goes beyond comedy."

And it was a man slapping another man, not a black man slapping another black man.

By *r laidbackMan  over a year ago

London & New Brighton

Chris Rock woke up this morning with Fresh Prints on his face I'm here all week folks hahaha

On a real note, chris did well not to hit back. As for will that woman is going to put him in an early grave, she should have told him to sit his ass back down, dont spoil his night over a silly joke, deal with it later but she sat back and watched it all become about her, will should not concern himself about what comes out of Chris's mouth but what goes in his wife's mouth.... see what i did there hahaha

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Chris Rock woke up this morning with Fresh Prints on his face I'm here all week folks hahaha

On a real note, chris did well not to hit back. As for will that woman is going to put him in an early grave, she should have told him to sit his ass back down, dont spoil his night over a silly joke, deal with it later but she sat back and watched it all become about her, will should not concern himself about what comes out of Chris's mouth but what goes in his wife's mouth.... see what i did there hahaha"

Sooo a man hits another man and it's a woman's fault? Ok...

By *heif6999Man  over a year ago

malton

Definitely for mocking someone regardless if it’s alopecia or shaved I think she looks hot! I bet there’s loads of women that would shave there hair which worry about getting mocked by small minded people like him when there’s nothing wrong with it at all!

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

It's assault so no but he shouldn't be cancelled. It was a crass joke though.

He should have waited until they were off camera to do it lol

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"He should have waited until they were off camera to do it lol"

Yeah but neither guy would have got half the publicity then

By *dd_soxMan  over a year ago

Suffolk

"Making jokes is all about standing on the edge and pushing, all good comedians do it, if they go too far then that’s a conversation they can have afterwards but it’s a conversation, not a physical act, what smith did is inexcusable on every level, also he should be celebrating the fact he’s nailed a best actor Oscar and only the fourth black man to do so in history but instead it will be remembered for slapping another black man, the collapse of all civil society starts with polarisation of opinion and in fighting amongst individual groups, it’s a damning time to be alive "

I think this incident completely overshadows the fact that Coda won the first Oscar in which deaf actors played leading roles.

And if you can't make jokes about people - where's the fun in that?

Fareham

I guess one thing is clear from this fracas is that Smith is a swinger..

"He should have waited until they were off camera to do it lol

Yeah but neither guy would have got half the publicity then "

True and whether it was real or fake, it still happened and there's publicity for them anyway x

London & New Brighton

This is not about women!!! this is about standing by your partner, in this case yes it's about her, part of my life i have worked as a doorman, i can say with great certainly i have seen husbands, boyfriends get pissed up and put themselves in a silly place, where a fright will take place and it's their wife's or girlfriends that have pulled them back even been mad at them for their silly behaviour, would you be happy to let your partner make a fool of himself over something minor or would you tell him to leave it? This is not about women this is about doing right by your partner

"I guess one thing is clear from this fracas is that Smith is a swinger.."

It was reported some years ago that Will admitted that they have an "open marriage". Says it all x

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"This is not about women!!! this is about standing by your partner, in this case yes it's about her, part of my life i have worked as a doorman, i can say with great certainly i have seen husbands, boyfriends get pissed up and put themselves in a silly place, where a fright will take place and it's their wife's or girlfriends that have pulled them back even been mad at them for their silly behaviour, would you be happy to let your partner make a fool of himself over something minor or would you tell him to leave it? This is not about women this is about doing right by your partner "

It isn't my responsibility to police a grown man's behaviour. I'm a partner not a parent

"I guess one thing is clear from this fracas is that Smith is a swinger..

It was reported some years ago that Will admitted that they have an "open marriage". Says it all x"

From what I can gather, it's more that Jada had an affair, didn't care about the consequences and so Will stated it's an open relationship, just to save face.

Fareham

At the party did Smith drink the punch?

It was reported some years ago that Will admitted that they have an "open marriage". Says it all x

From what I can gather, it's more that Jada had an affair, didn't care about the consequences and so Will stated it's an open relationship, just to save face.

"

She didn’t have an affair. The two have stated that they were broken up when the ‘entanglement’ happened. I’m pretty sure they deny being open.

Fareham

Smith has confirmed that black wives do matter.

In for a bit.

Basically Will is mad at his wife for cheating on him with his sons friend. mad his wife misses her ex (2pac) mad his daughter writes letters to a guy she never met and misses him (2pac)..his son wants to chop his genitals off.. so he was bound to snap and unfortunately in an attempt to reasert his "manlyness" with his wife, Chris Rock was at the receiving end of his breakdown..when in reality all he had to do is talk to his wife and sort his life out.

Comedy is about making fun of our/societies problems/issues and easing the "pain" by laughing about it. Everybody laughed couple years ago at Ricky Gervais..but now these "jokes" are no longer accepted ? You can't like every joke or every comedian but people need to chill.

World has gone mad!!

London & New Brighton

"Basically Will is mad at his wife for cheating on him with his sons friend. mad his wife misses her ex (2pac) mad his daughter writes letters to a guy she never met and misses him (2pac)..his son wants to chop his genitals off.. so he was bound to snap and unfortunately in an attempt to reasert his "manlyness" with his wife, Chris Rock was at the receiving end of his breakdown..when in reality all he had to do is talk to his wife and sort his life out.

Comedy is about making fun of our/societies problems/issues and easing the "pain" by laughing about it. Everybody laughed couple years ago at Ricky Gervais..but now these "jokes" are no longer accepted ? You can't like every joke or every comedian but people need to chill.

World has gone mad!! "

Amen

Out.

She didn’t have an affair. The two have stated that they were broken up when the ‘entanglement’ happened. I’m pretty sure they deny being open. "

From the discussion they had on camera, his body language and facial expressions told a very different story.

Not that the general public would get the truth anyway. Only speculation.

By *aitonelMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

It was an open to interpretation joke, barely an insult (at worst) and a partial compliment (at best).

Do I think Chris Rock intended for it to be a compliment, not at all but neither was it intended to be an insult. He knew he was walking the line with it, but attempted to keep it safe enough to avoid backlash... Or so he thought! He even tried to buffer the impact with a "I love you Jada" first. (barely anyone would be talking about the joke itself if Will had not have even moved out of his seat). The man even laughed himself until he saw her face - which is fair enough she didn't appreciate it.

Her condition was not mentioned. He did not say she looked bad, he did not say she was ugly, he could have compared her to countless bald roles (I've seen some very insulting versions of that joke since it happened, which he could have used). But he didn't, he went with Demi Moore in G.I Jane, who was a total bad ass.

Jada chose to embrace alopecia instead of hiding it with wigs, and she looked good rocking that style (though I'm not a fan of her generally). I applaud her for the self bravery to do so in the celeb world she is in.

Will Smith has made plenty of bald jokes through the years, directly to bald men (bald men that have no choice in going bald - male pattern baldness is a medical condition). So yes, while it's great he was standing up for his wife over a (mild joke) which she didn't appreciate but the slap really didn't need to happen.

All that joke really needed as a response was a polite "please don't, Chris"

"Basically Will is mad at his wife for cheating on him with his sons friend. mad his wife misses her ex (2pac) mad his daughter writes letters to a guy she never met and misses him (2pac)..his son wants to chop his genitals off.. so he was bound to snap and unfortunately in an attempt to reasert his "manlyness" with his wife, Chris Rock was at the receiving end of his breakdown..when in reality all he had to do is talk to his wife and sort his life out.

World has gone mad!! "

Absolutely!

I believe Will used this opportunity to show his wife he's no longer the clown but does indeed have some Alpha within.

I can't help but feel it's a reaction to a toxic relationship.

Only my opinion but many of the classic signs are there.

Fareham

I think Smith should take Chris Rock out for a slap up meal..

By *aptain Caveman41Man  over a year ago

Home

If you slag my partner knowing she has a condition be prepared to get decked. Will Smith was dead right in what he did.

By *ryandseeMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

Who cares about their private lives, I certainly don't. Public brawling is never acceptable and neither are jibes and insensitive or insulting comments about someone's personal life or looks as a result of a medical condition or indeed for whatever reason. There are ways to address all that whilst keeping within acceptable standards otherwise we will all be up and down slaping people left right and centre. My opinion but I hardly know anything about them or indeed much about the incident.

By *asycouple1971Couple  over a year ago

midlands

No. Other ways to defuse the situation than violance.

It was only a joke...move on.

Fareham

Joke turned out cheekier than imagined..

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

"This incident is really not this deep. Another argument for abolishing celebrities. That’s it. "

Never going to happen all the time a moronic public laps up celebrity culture.

This moron, here, hasn't got a clue who any of these people are but he's not in the least surprised that 'smacking' is part of their behaviour. Such fantastic role models!

He shouldn't have hit him

A quiet word after the ceremony rather than a public display of aggression

He is a role model

Role models should exhibit restraint in the public domain

Fareham

Does this make Chris Rock a smack head?

By *partharmonyCouple  over a year ago

Ruislip

First I heard! "

Have you been living in cave for the last 24 hours? Even I know, and I know sod all about celebrities.

BBC News - Best actor winner Will Smith took offence at a joke by presenter Chris Rock

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60898250

My take on it is, Smith shouldn't have hit Rock, but Rock also shouldn't have made the joke. Mrs Smith is suffering from something which I'm sure is very upsetting to her. If she wants to make a joke about it, that's up to her. It's not up to somebody else to publicly joke about a person's affliction. I totally understand Smith's disgust and sympathise with the couple, but it was a bad reaction.

Liverpool

"If you slag my partner knowing she has a condition be prepared to get decked. Will Smith was dead right in what he did. "

Is she incapable of standing up for herself? Does she need a man to defend her because she can't?

She was quite as capable and even more justified to go up there and slap Chris herself, but she didn't. Maybe she has more sense and class than the typical man, or maybe she just knew better than to go to that level.

I'd stand with my partner and their actions, not attempt to resort to violence where none was needed.

Fareham

When Chris was hit he did rock somewhat..

Punching a comedian for delivering a joke is like punching your mail man for delivering your post.

Fareham

Smith is being considered for a remake of Apocalypse Kerr-Poww!

Fareham

Comedians take note ..you’re hair today, gone tomorrow..

"Punching a comedian for delivering a joke is like punching your mail man for delivering your post. "

When they deliver a bill you don't want

By *ornucopiaMan  over a year ago

Bexley

First I heard!

Have you been living in cave for the last 24 hours? Even I know, and I know sod all about celebrities.

BBC News - Best actor winner Will Smith took offence at a joke by presenter Chris Rock

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60898250

... "

I would never have known about it had I not perused the forum. No TV here, therefore very little involvement with news and zero involvement with celebrities.

Once or twice in my life I have been at other people's houses when their electronic wallpaper has been displaying an awards ceremony but never given it serious attention as I am so used to being TV free (The last TV I had was at Eureka).

By *oystick-MCRMan  over a year ago

Manchester | London

Speaking as a professional it doesn’t teach the younger gen about conflict resolution and overshadowed the other winners

As a single guy it was funny af. Waiting for Jake Paul to host boxing match

"If you slag my partner knowing she has a condition be prepared to get decked. Will Smith was dead right in what he did. "

He hardly slagged her off, jokingly stating she could star in G.I Jane 2.

Fareham

The apology to Chris was a bald move on behalf of Will Smith..

More and more i think this was a staged thing gone wrong

"More and more i think this was a staged thing gone wrong"

You may be right there

Forum Mod

East Sussex

The free publicity they've had from this is worth millions. Nothing's gone wrong...yet

By *heGateKeeperMan  over a year ago

Stratford

I think you can stand for both and agree with the actions of both.

Chris Rock was within his rights to make the joke. But freedom to speak isn’t freedom of consequence, and thus Will is entitled to lump him one

By *itzi999Woman  over a year ago

Slough

This

By *orkcoastguyMan  over a year ago

Bridlington.

"Never an excuse to resort to violence x"

No, I agree but the mocking of his wife's alopecia was in very poor taste.

By *ad NannaWoman  over a year ago

East London

They should have mud wrestled in the nude.

By *irty_DeedsMan  over a year ago

Teesside

I'd avoid front rows at comedy shows or events where a comedian is employed to roast the crowd then

Rock was doing his job. Simple as that. Does the level of violence allowed vary based on how hurt your feelings get? Does he get to stab him if she sheds a tear? How about if it was a female comedian who made the joke. Should Will have resorted to the same childish display?

If I resorted to violence everytime someone irritated/upset/annoyed me I'd be scrapping in every aisle in asda while doing weekly shop.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"They should have mud wrestled in the nude."

. Or oil each other up then climb a greasy pole

A slap in the face which humiliation for Chris but what came out of Chris's mouth was humiliating for jade.Are people not allowed to defend one another now or is it just because of the way it was done.

[Removed by poster at 29/03/22 14:06:37]

Or are they just two grown men messing with heads of people

By *rHotNottsMan  over a year ago

Dubai

He got caught laughing at the joke then had to prove he was a man, what a jerk. He stars in some great films and is a half decent actor but always thought he’s hiding some demons , his speech afterwards confirmed this. He’s one majorly fucked up little boy , probably wasn’t cuddled enough or bullied a lot

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

Just a reminder that actors even those ‘action’ stars can’t hit for toffee. Will Smith hit him and Chris Rock barely moved or appeared hurt. I doubt he’d try his hard man act, if the guy was bigger than him.

He should’ve at worst got up to Chris Rock and asked him to apologise or as he’s known for his quick wit, put him down with words. No need for Will Smith to show the world he can’t throw a punch without a fight coordinator showing him how to do it.

No time for violence or acting like a spoilt child afterwards by screaming at the guy. If that was a member of the audience or a crew member, they’d have been thrown out and charges brought by the LAPD. But Will Smith gets Denzel mopping up his tears instead.

The joke was crap, the target of the joke didn’t deserve it, but the reaction (after originally laughing) was cringe worthy overreaction.

But I will give Will Smith credit today by apologising to Chris Rock and the Academy. But never for that slap.

Liverpool

"A slap in the face which humiliation for Chris but what came out of Chris's mouth was humiliating for jade.Are people not allowed to defend one another now or is it just because of the way it was done."

Did a minor joke really warrant the retaliation of a physical assault?

It wasn't a barrage of jokes, it wasn't a blunt insult, it was a neutral zone joke - easily interpreted either way. At most it deserved a verbal retaliation.

The slap was beyond uncalled for, an extreme escalation. It really wasn't needed. An assertive "back off, man" would have been all was needed.

The defense of his wife is not in question, the choice of how he defended her is. Though as I said above, did it really need somebody else to defend her considering she is a very strong willed and proud woman as it is.

Thing is, the Oscars will have given Chris the go ahead to tell the joke. They will have vetted and allowed him to use it before allowing him on stage.

"A slap in the face which humiliation for Chris but what came out of Chris's mouth was humiliating for jade.Are people not allowed to defend one another now or is it just because of the way it was done.

It wasn't a barrage of jokes, it wasn't a blunt insult, it was a neutral zone joke - easily interpreted either way. At most it deserved a verbal retaliation.

The slap was beyond uncalled for, an extreme escalation. It really wasn't needed. An assertive "back off, man" would have been all was needed.

The defense of his wife is not in question, the choice of how he defended her is. Though as I said above, did it really need somebody else to defend her considering she is a very strong willed and proud woman as it is.

Thing is, the Oscars will have given Chris the go ahead to tell the joke. They will have vetted and allowed him to use it before allowing him on stage. "

exactly why in my second post I said what I did

By * and R cple4Couple  over a year ago

swansea

"If you slag my partner knowing she has a condition be prepared to get decked. Will Smith was dead right in what he did. I'd avoid front rows at comedy shows or events where a comedian is employed to roast the crowd then

Rock was doing his job. Simple as that. Does the level of violence allowed vary based on how hurt your feelings get? Does he get to stab him if she sheds a tear? How about if it was a female comedian who made the joke. Should Will have resorted to the same childish display?

If I resorted to violence everytime someone irritated/upset/annoyed me I'd be scrapping in every aisle in asda while doing weekly shop."

We have been front row at a Roy chubby brown show we knew what to expect and we got what we expected ..

I’m quite surprised at the amount of people that think violence is ok .It would have been much more powerful a message if he had called him out on it in his speech when he accepted his award .

Teesside

Now it's went from a joke that wouldn't even have been remembered to hundreds if not thousands of memes and jokes at her expense. So if anything his "defense" has made her the butt of the joke for a long time to come.

By *icolerobbieCouple  over a year ago

walsall

I don’t think he even hit him. It looked like an actors slap to me, without any contact. Looks like a huge publicity stunt to garner interest in a ceremony that most people have no interest in.

No such thing as bad publicity as they say.

By *heGateKeeperMan  over a year ago

Stratford

"A slap in the face which humiliation for Chris but what came out of Chris's mouth was humiliating for jade.Are people not allowed to defend one another now or is it just because of the way it was done.

Thing is, the Oscars will have given Chris the go ahead to tell the joke. They will have vetted and allowed him to use it before allowing him on stage. "

If Will deemed it so yes. There is no freedom of consequence just because you have the right to say what you feel. If someone chooses to hit you because you say something they don’t like then so be it.

The remoteness of the Internet has people thinking they can say all kinds of stuff and there are no repercussions.

By the same token, Chris had every right to make the joke and it landed with the audience. He just has to accept the slap as a result

By *aptain Caveman41Man  over a year ago

Home

I can't believe some of the comments on here. If your wife, girlfriend, boyfriend or partner had alopecia was being openly slagged would you not stand up for them

Thing is, the Oscars will have given Chris the go ahead to tell the joke. They will have vetted and allowed him to use it before allowing him on stage.

If Will deemed it so yes. There is no freedom of consequence just because you have the right to say what you feel. If someone chooses to hit you because you say something they don’t like then so be it.

The remoteness of the Internet has people thinking they can say all kinds of stuff and there are no repercussions.

By the same token, Chris had every right to make the joke and it landed with the audience. He just has to accept the slap as a result "

Chris knows he stirs people up so he can't expect all people to react in a non physical way. A good way to keep the flailing Oscars in the news and all the memes going

By *illis92Man  over a year ago

little town by the river

Personally i think theres other iayyes with in wills life right now and that was just a little build up .... if some one said something to your wife woukd you defend her in the same way celeb or not i would of pribably done the same thing but maybe not in such a professional place

By *ad66Couple  over a year ago

Manchester

It's been kept very hush hush. "

If you'd class it being on every TV station, every newspaper & covered extensively on social media, then yes, I guess it has been kept quiet

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

Really ? I've seen it on all news channels, and radio and YouTube for the last 48 hrs. Also part of radio station phone ins........ Biiiiiiiiig Neeeeeews.

King's Crustacean

If you'd class it being on every TV station, every newspaper & covered extensively on social media, then yes, I guess it has been kept quiet "

How dare you scoop before me

By *tew008Man  over a year ago

edinburgh

Nope, ways of dealing with it and not slapping someone.

By *iving Bi a TryMan  over a year ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

Protecting your loved ones is the right thing to do. But this wasn't protection, this was retribution. It's against the law for a reason.

And to be honest, the joke wasn't that tortuous at all really. You could choose to take it as a weird compliment (which WS seemed to do at first) or you could take umbrage and respond.

Will Smith would have come out of this as a real hero if he had used his acceptance speech to stand up for the rights of sufferers, use some dignity to berate Chris Rock or even if he really felt it was that important, publicly challenge him to a proper boxing match or similar.

Instead, he committed a minor criminal offence and now has to rely on Chris Rock not to get him prosecuted.

Responding like some teenager that can't control his emotions and then crying about it afterwards doesn't look good.

And for those of you saying Will Smith did the right thing, well Will Smith apparently doesn't agree with you anymore either.

Gbat

Really ? I've seen it on all news channels, and radio and YouTube for the last 48 hrs. Also part of radio station phone ins........ Biiiiiiiiig Neeeeeews. "

Granny has like 50 screens monitoring what is being put out as ‘News’. her

Teesside

"I can't believe some of the comments on here. If your wife, girlfriend, boyfriend or partner had alopecia was being openly slagged would you not stand up for them "
I'm a grown adult who has control of his emotions. I've also been boxing and doing multiple martial arts since I was 10, violence is never my first go too for anything because I know what "just a slap" can do to someone. If someone is being physical or there's a threat of it turning physical, of course I'd defend them but to resort to violence over words in a comedy show is ridiculous and reeks of insecurity.

I would have pulled him aside after the show and spoke to him like an adult.

By *uffsandCropsCouple  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

"I can't believe some of the comments on here. If your wife, girlfriend, boyfriend or partner had alopecia was being openly slagged would you not stand up for them "

Through personal experience, no. Some men won't stand up even when horrendous things happen to their wives

By *irenGuy70Man  over a year ago

Cirencester

There are ways to stand up for them without resorting to hitting the other person. In this case Will Smith had the high road and could have easily shown up Chris Rock for his crass joke (if you believe it was really about her condition), but his actions have made the situation a whole lot worse. I can't believe this is what Jada wanted.

Liverpool

Because we are not ruled by raw emotion. We actually think and make our actions based upon logic and assessment of a situation instead of retaliating with physical violence as our first, second or even third thought.

Protection is more than just physical.

By *uffsandCropsCouple  over a year ago

Shrewsbury

"I can't believe some of the comments on here. If your wife, girlfriend, boyfriend or partner had alopecia was being openly slagged would you not stand up for them

There are ways to stand up for them without resorting to hitting the other person. In this case Will Smith had the high road and could have easily shown up Chris Rock for his crass joke (if you believe it was really about her condition), but his actions have made the situation a whole lot worse. I can't believe this is what Jada wanted."

I agree. There are ways to have solved this without resorting to violence but he did need to address it.

I think his words after said it all. I do wonder if he'd said that first, would Chris Rock have carried on? If he did, maybe we wouldn't have been as harsh with the slap?

Hypothetical now, but I do think Will's actions were stupid. Words first!!

By *egasus NobMan  over a year ago

London

Following the Will Smith incident if everyone is condemning the action, should comedians like Ricky Gervais behaviour at one of the awards be condemned too?

The people who should be getting the awards are the film editors, writers, composers, animators those behind the scene.

By *ex HolesMan  over a year ago

Up North

Is this still a thing?

Are we still doing this? Lol old news now

evesham

Really ? I've seen it on all news channels, and radio and YouTube for the last 48 hrs. Also part of radio station phone ins........ Biiiiiiiiig Neeeeeews. "

Twas tongue in cheek granny

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

Two extra angles (I'm stealing)

Are bald make jokes okay? (I'm fairly sure there were such jokes in FPOBA)

Those who say the skap was okay, would it have been okay if Will smacked a women like that?

evesham

How did he openly 'slag' her for having alopecia?

By *egasus NobMan  over a year ago

London

"I can't believe some of the comments on here. If your wife, girlfriend, boyfriend or partner had alopecia was being openly slagged would you not stand up for them

Because we are not ruled by raw emotion. We actually think and make our actions based upon logic and assessment of a situation instead of retaliating with physical violence as our first, second or even third thought.

Protection is more than just physical."

We are ruled by our emotion than logic. Our survival runs heavily on emotion but project logic when it is not personal or out of fear. Are your want logical or emotional?

Liverpool

Protection is more than just physical.

We are ruled by our emotion than logic. Our survival runs heavily on emotion but project logic when it is not personal or out of fear. Are your want logical or emotional?

"

If that were entirely true then there would be a lot more people physically assaulting other people. Emotions manifest before logic, only those that act upon their emotion alone are ruled by it.

I've never once, despite being in high emotion situations reverted to phsycially assaulting anyone as my first action. I can imagine a hell of a lot of people are the same. I am able to suppress emotion to not act on it as a sole motivation for anything.

Fear, not to be confused with anxieties, is not just an emotion, but so much more as a biological survival response hardwired in to every living creature. It is instinctual but even that can be overcome in a lot of cases.

The answer is simple would he have made the joke if he hadnt known her condition

Would he have said it had she had cancer if the answer is yes to both and especially the 2nd then he deserved the slap but theres more too it i firmly believe if its real his wife made him do it because he laughed and she saw it

King's Crustacean

Really ? I've seen it on all news channels, and radio and YouTube for the last 48 hrs. Also part of radio station phone ins........ Biiiiiiiiig Neeeeeews.

Twas tongue in cheek granny "

Doh .......... !

By *uitednbooted2Man  over a year ago

Berkshire

"Two extra angles (I'm stealing)

Are bald make jokes okay? (I'm fairly sure there were such jokes in FPOBA)

Those who say the skap was okay, would it have been okay if Will smacked a women like that?"

Great point

King's Crustacean

How did he openly 'slag' her for having alopecia?"

I have NO idea. I heard the joke a few times...... I can't see where alopecia comes into anything ........

All fake BS from peodo hollywood, attention seeking pricks.

By *tew008Man  over a year ago

edinburgh

It’s not okay in shape or form. If it is I think it’s ok to go up slap MGK next gig. He hurt peoples feelings.

"All fake BS from peodo hollywood, attention seeking pricks."

I’m not sure everybody in Hollywood is a paedo.

Fareham

"All fake BS from peodo hollywood, attention seeking pricks."

Another case of thousand yard stare from being frontline on the dark web.

By * Sophie xTV/TS  over a year ago

Derby

Everyone should slap Chris Rock, he's bloody annoying

By *ife NinjaMan  over a year ago

Dunfermline

"Everyone should slap Chris Rock, he's bloody annoying "

He was OK in Jackie Brown. Having said that, his character got shot within ten minutes

Fareham

"Everyone should slap Chris Rock, he's bloody annoying "

Gang slap a black man?

Not a good move.

By * Sophie xTV/TS  over a year ago

Derby

"Everyone should slap Chris Rock, he's bloody annoying

Gang slap a black man?

Not a good move."

You said a black man which nobody else did.....you made it about race so what does that say about you?

I said his name with no reference to his colour so get off your stupid high horse and see a joke for what it is, a joke.

Openly slagged off of a tad strong. Only the egotistical would be hurt by his words.

He didn't slag her off because of alopecia, he joked that her choosing to proudly go bald was reminiscent to G.I Jane, a kick arse, strong character.

If so she wore a wig, he may well have respected that she possibly feels ashamed and left alone.

Not stating that she should wear a wig, only that he highlighted her bravery for presenting herself as she did.

We wouldn’t be having this conversation if he’d have roundhouse kicked him…

By *agneto.Man  over a year ago

Bham

Condemn

evesham

How did he openly 'slag' her for having alopecia?

I have NO idea. I heard the joke a few times...... I can't see where alopecia comes into anything ........ "

Me either other than she has it. He commented on her shaved head and compared to her to a string female lead character who also had a shaved head.

By *idnight_Express69Man  over a year ago

Rochdale

"Should we celebrate or condemn Will for his actions at the Oscars?

"

Bit late for that, and your question about whether or not he ought to have behaved in this manner is meaningless as he did slap Chris Rock. He chose to. His reasons are his own.

Rock has a track record of ridiculing both Will and his wife. To ridicule her about an auto-immune disease on live TV in front of a global audience is the morality of what you should be questioning but no-one seems to care about that. Will did and he chose violence. That’s his choice.

By *iving Bi a TryMan  over a year ago

Alicante, Spain. (Sometimes in Wales)

Although it's worth noting he now regrets his choice of violence and is openly saying it was the wrong choice.

Gbat

By *idnight_Express69Man  over a year ago

Rochdale

"Although it's worth noting he now regrets his choice of violence and is openly saying it was the wrong choice.

Gbat "

Fair enough. The point being that he chose it.

Maybe we all got it wrong.

Maybe Jada has been sleeping with Chris also and Will took offence to Chris saying he loves her.

Just saying

By *AFKA HovisMan  over a year ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

I've been watching the "best roasts" from the Oscars.

Was "I was very disappointed that Space Jam 2 did not get nominated for special effects for that hairline they gave LeBron James...it was really good" a jibe at someone suffering from hairliss ?

(Genuine. No idea)

Either which way, the only reason the while world is taking about this one (unfunny) comment (it's barely a roast IMO) is because of the slap. And the only reason I know she has alopecia is because I had to find out why this (seemingly tame) comment even caused a slap.

He should have slapped Chris on the head and said “stop calling my wife a slaphead”. Then chased him around the stage to the Benny Hill theme tune.

By *ornagainchristianMan  over a year ago

all over the UK

Absolutely not. And certainly not on stage, in front of the world, over a frankly crap out-of-date joke about a film no one remembers.

If anything, it showed how little control Will has over his own life, and this “open relationship” thing is bullshit. He’s cuckolded and unhappily compliant. He laughed at the joke until Jada threw him a look, seconds later he’s physically assaulting a comedian for doing his job. This to me was the most pathetic example of a man desperately trying to stay the most relevant man in his marriage.

What’s more, it enables all the wannabe‘ard dickheads who want their right to attack a comedian, because they know just heckling would get them destroyed. They just saw Will Smith rewarded with acceptance of his actions and even applause for it.

I used to like him, not so sure now

By *agicM53XMan  over a year ago

Croydon

KEEP WILL SMITH'S WIFE'S NAME OUT YOUR F%$&ING MOUTHS!

Two of my kids came to blows at the weekend and then there's Will Smith live on TV assaulting someone. I condemn him. No excuse for violence - as I also said to my boys.

By *instonandLadyAstorCouple  over a year ago

Not where we seem to be...

"An open handed slap probably hurt for a bit, but jokes that have victims probably do more damage.

"

I don't think this comment got the recognition it deserved.

Sometimes violence is the answer. This was not one of those occasions.

The "joke" was in poor taste, as was Will Smith's reaction.

Winston

By *etwifeandhim69Couple  over a year ago

Darlington

How about we all take the stance that both parties crossed a line, where in the wrong and the situation played out as it did. You insult a man's wife, that man's gonna lose his shit. Dosent make it right, it's just an expected response. People have emotions, they get angry, they lash out in some cases. Anyone who pretends otherwise or that they wouldnt lose it if it was their loved ones being insulted over a medical condition is deluding themselves. It was a poor joke (which could easily been seen as an insult) followed by a bad reaction.

Maybe instead we should be looking at how the organisers handled it and the fact Smith got a standing ovation by all attendees not shortly after.

Smith "should" have been escorted out of the building.

But hey, suddenly the Oscars are relevant again. Conflict clearly sells.

Thing is though, Will has now apologized to Chris. Where's Will's apology? Chris Rock has kept very quiet if you ask me. Makes you wonder

By *J35mcrMan  over a year ago

Leigh

To many fucking snowflakes, this so called comedian is a grown man if he's old enough to make disrespectful comments about someone then he's old enough to take the consequences!

If it was my wife who he'd offended I'd do more the bitch slap the cunt

Chris is a comedian, it’s a joke. Will laughed until he realised she was offended. A simple convo could e resolved it. Lost respect for will

Teesside

Whole lot of victim blaming and whatsboutism going on here.

Even if the joke was intended as an insult (it wasn't) Wills reaction was ridiculous. Every comedic host of these award shows in recent memory has been employed to roast those in attendance.

If I was Rock I'd be suing Smith and the academy for failing to deal with it appropriately. Criminal charges mean nowt to the rich and famous so I'd hit him in his wallet.

Hopefully Karma is a bitch and extends a mighty slap towards the emotional stunted manchild.

By *hocolate37Man  over a year ago

Heathrow

...just curious - what if Jada had slapped him?

Teesside

"...just curious - what if Jada had slapped him?"
What if Will had slapped a female comedian? Would these supporters with their war crys of "if it was my wife....." still be singing from the same hymn sheet?

If anyone's ego is that fragile that it comes to violence over the comparison of one lady with a shaved head to another then it speaks volumes of how their lives are being lived.

"I think you can stand for both and agree with the actions of both.

Chris Rock was within his rights to make the joke. But freedom to speak isn’t freedom of consequence, and thus Will is entitled to lump him one "

This... If I ever take the piss out of someone I'm always aware that they might take it badly and give me a clip. Fair deal ain't it

By *ucka39Man  over a year ago

Newcastle

It's been on the news and just about every other chat program and YouTube is full of this even with lyrics

Newcastle

Rock got what he deserves as will's wife was a guest

By *r_YouTubeMan  over a year ago

Colchester

"

It was a slap. Not a mercyless beating.

He made is point and sat down.

A shot across the bow to say enouth!

Its America, I would have shot him lol (im joking btw)

Teesside

It was a slap. Not a mercyless beating.

He made is point and sat down.

A shot across the bow to say enouth!

Its America, I would have shot him lol (im joking btw) "

So I can just dish out slaps if someone upsets me? Fuck me, I'd best get some lotion my hands are gonna be raw

Newcastle

Is it right to make fun of someone whom has an illness

By *ir SupremacyMan  over a year ago

Bolton

I wonder would Will Smith have Slapped Lennox Lewis or Mike Tyson if they had of said it .

Teesside

"Is it right to make fun of someone whom has an illness "

He didn't make fun of her illness. He compared her shaved head to that of Demi Moore's

Rock like most other people I've heard speak about this likely had zero clue she had alopecia. I've always just assumed she liked her hair short. Even so, comedian, doing the job he was hired to do. It's part of the gig to roast those in attendance.

If it was a female who made the joke would Will still be a hero in your eyes?

Teesside

"I wonder would Will Smith have Slapped Lennox Lewis or Mike Tyson if they had of said it ."
He wouldn't have done it even if it was a man of similar size. Never mind a fighter of any calibre.

It's easy to be a hard man when you have 40lbs and 4" on someone.

"Yes,he should be condemned for it,I don’t like violence in any way,shape or form,but Jada is toxic,and the look she threw at him when he actually laughed at Chris Rock..

He needs to get out of that marriage "

Liverpool

"Is it right to make fun of someone whom has an illness "

Male pattern baldness is a form of alopecia, that's made fun of all the time.

My guess is the majority of people don't really know what alopecia is, and just assume it's total chemotherapy level of hair loss. It's not.

It can range from total hair loss all over the body, to a small (small!) patch of thinning hair on the head. It is just much more common in men than women.

One form of Alopecia can actually be caused by heat, chemicals and tight styles that pull at the hair root, including some braids, dreadlocks, extensions and weaves.

Traction alopecia, common in the black community.

As far as I'm aware she has not stated which form of alopecia she has, and unless it is androgen, there is every chance she may regrow her hair - many men won't.

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"Is it right to make fun of someone whom has an illness

My guess is the majority of people don't really know what alopecia is, and just assume it's total chemotherapy level of hair loss. It's not.

It can range from total hair loss all over the body, to a small (small!) patch of thinning hair on the head. It is just much more common in men than women.

One form of Alopecia can actually be caused by heat, chemicals and tight styles that pull at the hair root, including some braids, dreadlocks, extensions and weaves.

As far as I'm aware she has not stated which form of alopecia she has, and unless it is androgen, there is every chance she may regrow her hair - many men won't. "

She has alopecia as a result of an autoimmune condition. That particular form is no more common in men Vs women. Unsure on race demographics.

By *aeganaWoman  over a year ago

birmingham

Fuck cancel culture I say. What he did was a human response he was standing up for his wife condone it or not. You can't change what happened. The whole should we cancel someone for something they have said or done has got to end though its getting ridiculous

Ticket sales of Chris Rock’s tour are in higher demand than ever sales are skyrocketing!

By *irenGuy70Man  over a year ago

Cirencester

"To many fucking snowflakes, this so called comedian is a grown man if he's old enough to make disrespectful comments about someone then he's old enough to take the consequences!

If it was my wife who he'd offended I'd do more the bitch slap the cunt "

What would you have done exactly?

Would your response be different if it was a female comedian that said it?

Doing it in public? Guys an idiot qnd lucky he ain't in prison getting ruined

Privately?absolutly however his missus is as toxic as toxic gets

Liverpool

As far as I'm aware she has not stated which form of alopecia she has, and unless it is androgen, there is every chance she may regrow her hair - many men won't.

She has alopecia as a result of an autoimmune condition. That particular form is no more common in men Vs women. Unsure on race demographics. "

Areata then, so yes potentially reversable, unless the hair has been lost for long periods of time. Still genetic as with androgen, it often just appears more shocking because it can be a random patch or patches. Sometimes it's a tiny thin patch, other times it can be multiple patches than potentially can regrow and then appear on another part of the head, or in the most rare cases become total baldness.

Other than the cause, which is not life threatening, other than potential mental health issues (which any form of hair loss can cause) it is still hair loss exactly the same as male pattern baldness is. So let's not over extend and pretend she has an illness that limits her quality of life the same way much more severe autoimmune diseases can.

The main difference is she is a woman, hair loss in general is much rarer for women (overall to the extent it is with men) therefore it is a much bigger deal that she "is being made fun of".

Liverpool

"Fuck cancel culture I say. What he did was a human response he was standing up for his wife condone it or not. You can't change what happened. The whole should we cancel someone for something they have said or done has got to end though its getting ridiculous "

Nobody is saying cancel him (well some are but they always do) the issue in question is his physical response. The man physically assaulted another person for a comment - I agree with what somebody else has said that nothing is without consequence (I've said that for a while in past threads) - but Will should not be applauded or praised for physically assaulting somebody as his first response to a comment made, regardless of the comment.

She has alopecia as a result of an autoimmune condition. That particular form is no more common in men Vs women. Unsure on race demographics.

Areata then, so yes potentially reversable, unless the hair has been lost for long periods of time. Still genetic as with androgen, it often just appears more shocking because it can be a random patch or patches. Sometimes it's a tiny thin patch, other times it can be multiple patches than potentially can regrow and then appear on another part of the head, or in the most rare cases become total baldness.

Other than the cause, which is not life threatening, other than potential mental health issues (which any form of hair loss can cause) it is still hair loss exactly the same as male pattern baldness is. So let's not over extend and pretend she has an illness that limits her quality of life the same way much more severe autoimmune diseases can.

The main difference is she is a woman, hair loss in general is much rarer for women (overall to the extent it is with men) therefore it is a much bigger deal that she "is being made fun of". "

sure it is.. and an even bigger deal when her own husband initially laughed at the joke....

I think he had probably had too much to drink. This doesn't excuse his actions, but might explain his poor impulse control.