FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > You have the right to remain silent...

You have the right to remain silent...

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *bi Haive OP   Man  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

No. I haven't been arrested.

Here's the question!

Everyone has opinions and individual viewpoints. That's natural and to be expected. But how comfortable are you expressing yours, not out in the big wide world but more specifically on here?

Are you happy to air yours? Are you comfortable in your ability to express and rationalise any views and opinions, confident that you can post good strong arguments to back up your views?

Or are you more of a 'I have an opinion but I don't have to justify myself to anyone' kind of person? Of course nobody does. There's no obligation to explain yourself at all.

But does that then leave people wide open to forming their own (possibly right, possibly wrong) opinions about someone? A lack of info on someone's personal perspective doesn't help understand their reason for holding a viewpoint after all, so it's only natural for people to second guess and make assumptions, surely?

Deep for a Saturday afternoon I know, but hey..........

A

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I’m happy to air my views in a debate - but I’ll back out of it just turns into an argument for augments sake.

There are a couple of posters who like to ‘poke the bear’

"I’m happy to air my views in a debate - but I’ll back out of it just turns into an argument for augments sake.

There are a couple of posters who like to ‘poke the bear’ "

I like the forums for the most part but can find some of the threads very clique with a lot of inside jokes and comments that can put me off getting involved

"I’m happy to air my views in a debate - but I’ll back out of it just turns into an argument for augments sake.

I like the forums for the most part but can find some of the threads very clique with a lot of inside jokes and comments that can put me off getting involved "

And have you formed opinions on those people?

By *r SteelhammerMan  over a year ago

belfast

You do not have to say anything. But, it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence.

By *den-Valley-coupleCouple  over a year ago

Cumbria

If you open a conservation sometimes people will disagree and a difference of opinion is Great.

I like the forums for the most part but can find some of the threads very clique with a lot of inside jokes and comments that can put me off getting involved

And have you formed opinions on those people?"

Not particularly as I don’t know any of them personally but as you say there are certain individuals who seem to “poke the bear” to get a reaction

By *RANDMRSJAECouple  over a year ago

chester

I start typing but have second thoughts more often than I post.

It's a tricky place to navigate if you have opinions especially if they are not those of the OP (of a thread) and their friends

By *a LunaWoman  over a year ago

Southern Wales

Happy to air them to a point, but there seem to be some who like to turn every opinion into an argument.

By *annaBeStrongMan  over a year ago

w

In person you have to protect yourself.

On here I let things fly. Because why not

By *nliveneTV/TS  over a year ago

Selby

Peace and love , i don't do drama

I have my opinions and views and i respect every ones opinions and views.

I'm i going to battle or challenging people ? Defenitly that's not me .

I'm i concerned with who doesn't

like me? Nope, not at all.

I like everyone? Nope .

Do i have plans for tonight? Yes

I’m quite opinionated. I have strong views on certain subjects and I’m more than happy to express them. I also like debate so I’m happy to be challenged.

"I’m quite opinionated. I have strong views on certain subjects and I’m more than happy to express them. I also like debate so I’m happy to be challenged. "

No you do not.

"I’m quite opinionated. I have strong views on certain subjects and I’m more than happy to express them. I also like debate so I’m happy to be challenged.

No you do not."

This isn’t a pantomime

By *ighty_tightyMan  over a year ago

Norfolk/Suffolk

"I’m quite opinionated. I have strong views on certain subjects and I’m more than happy to express them. I also like debate so I’m happy to be challenged.

No you do not.

This isn’t a pantomime "

Oh yes it is!

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"If you open a conservation sometimes people will disagree and a difference of opinion is Great."

Yep. Totally healthy and nothing wrong with different viewpoints at all.

The key word you've used being 'conversation'.

I've been on this planet long enough and had more than enough debates, discussions and arguments with people to understand that there will always be differing opinions.

If someone can verbalise and rationalise why they think as they do then I see that as nothing but a positive, whether I agree with them or not.

What bugs me, frustrates me and occasionally grinds my gears is when someone flat out opposes something you've said, especially when you provided proven, factual evidence to support your view or statement, or when they express an opinion which no supporting argument as to why they feel as they do.

It reminds me of dealing with kids who when questioned reply with 'just because' or 'I don't know' rather than attempt to explain why they think something or did something.

Or even worse. When they say they feel a certain way because of what they read in the papers or on bookface....

A

By *arlomaleMan  over a year ago

darlington

No you do not.

This isn’t a pantomime "

oh yes it is (sorry couldn’t resist)

No you do not.

This isn’t a pantomime "

He's behind you!!!

No you do not.

This isn’t a pantomime

Oh yes it is!"

I asked for that

Have I missed something ?

No you do not.

This isn’t a pantomime

He's behind you!!!"

Don’t! I just watched The Night Stalker on Netflix and I’m a little on edge.

No you do not.

This isn’t a pantomime

He's behind you!!!

Don’t! I just watched The Night Stalker on Netflix and I’m a little on edge."

Ooh good? Scary? I may watch tonight.

Norfolk/Suffolk

No you do not.

This isn’t a pantomime

Oh yes it is!

I asked for that "

Oh no you didn't!

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

I don’t give my opinions of most things on here. If I do then it’s usually on something I know things about. Contrary to the rules and popular belief I don’t actually think everyone is entitled to an opinion. I don’t see how they can be if they haven’t experienced certain things in life. I know everyone thinks they are but I’m not prepared to take certain ones on board in some situations.

No you do not.

This isn’t a pantomime

He's behind you!!!

Don’t! I just watched The Night Stalker on Netflix and I’m a little on edge.

Ooh good? Scary? I may watch tonight."

It’s a true crime documentary. I guess it’s scarier because it all really happened.

No you do not.

This isn’t a pantomime

Oh yes it is!

I asked for that

Oh no you didn't!"

Boooooo hissssss.

Only if I have an actual opinion on things will I comment, I don't speak for the sake of it. You see a lot on here people having opinions that will be popular with the masses but I do question if that's what they truely feel. I also don't think an opinion is valid if your repeating a chain of information which you haven't actually researched yourself, which again happens a lot on here.

We are all adults and should be able to express ourselves and debate in a healthy way. Unfortunately it doesn't happen very often as people can take an opinion as a personal attack if the subject impacts them in a certain way.

I give my opinion if I feel I have knowledge of something.

I think it's sad that people feel they can't voice their opinions and have those opinions respected.

I've took a step back from getting too involved in anything deep. It wasn't that long ago it seemed open season on everything I said from a particular source, nobody should feel attacked, there is a ways and means to disagree and you can debate respectfully

Beautiful question! It depends a lot on the kind of people I am talking with. If there is someone who would have a rational discussion instead of swearing and shouting at each other, I love discussing these things with them. I have changed my own political and economic views a lot during the last decade. I have many friends like that and I love having conversations with them both telephonic and in-person.

On the other hand, if someone's response to a question is just swearing, trolling or just making sweeping moral statements without discussing the point we are debating, I prefer stopping the discussion right there.

Even on dating apps, when I see someone saying "Don't talk to me if you vote X or Y or if you do not follow X ideology", I swipe left naturally. They have all the rights to choose the person they want to date. But I prefer someone who is more open-minded.

As for fab, I have seen some people who debate really well even though I don't agree with their views. There are some who don't do anything but make snarky remarks and run away. Unlike the past, I pick and choose what topics I respond to these days.

By *eatrice BadinageWoman  over a year ago

In a Sparkly Dress

I'm a "I have an opinion poster" on threads, it's not often I find something interesting enough to that I get drawn onto a debate thread, the virus threads were fun, but the last lounge one was Mrs KC'S musings but that was more of a factual debate from my point of view.

I prefer face to face tbf

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"No. I haven't been arrested.

Here's the question!

Everyone has opinions and individual viewpoints. That's natural and to be expected. But how comfortable are you expressing yours, not out in the big wide world but more specifically on here?

Are you happy to air yours? Are you comfortable in your ability to express and rationalise any views and opinions, confident that you can post good strong arguments to back up your views?

Or are you more of a 'I have an opinion but I don't have to justify myself to anyone' kind of person? Of course nobody does. There's no obligation to explain yourself at all.

But does that then leave people wide open to forming their own (possibly right, possibly wrong) opinions about someone? A lack of info on someone's personal perspective doesn't help understand their reason for holding a viewpoint after all, so it's only natural for people to second guess and make assumptions, surely?

Deep for a Saturday afternoon I know, but hey..........

A

"

…… I have been here so long I am way past the “caring what other people think” phase, I gave up thinking about trying to create a narrative to impress a long time ago

I am like the old grandad in the corner who doesn’t give 2 shits anymore… it’s very liberating

By *oly Fuck Sticks BatmanCouple  over a year ago

here & there

"If you open a conservation sometimes people will disagree and a difference of opinion is Great.

I've been on this planet long enough and had more than enough debates, discussions and arguments with people to understand that there will always be differing opinions.

If someone can verbalise and rationalise why they think as they do then I see that as nothing but a positive, whether I agree with them or not.

What bugs me, frustrates me and occasionally grinds my gears is when someone flat out opposes something you've said, especially when you provided proven, factual evidence to support your view or statement, or when they express an opinion which no supporting argument as to why they feel as they do.

It reminds me of dealing with kids who when questioned reply with 'just because' or 'I don't know' rather than attempt to explain why they think something or did something.

Or even worse. When they say they feel a certain way because of what they read in the papers or on bookface....

A "

Can’t argue with stupid….

Norfolk/Suffolk

"If you open a conservation sometimes people will disagree and a difference of opinion is Great.

A

Can’t argue with stupid….

"

Nope. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

Very comfortable doing so on here and I believe I can back up what I believe as I tend to like to weigh up a lot of information before forming a solid opinion, even if I have a gut instinct. As a result though there's many areas I don't feel I know enough to have a solid opinion on though I'm open to learning.

By *acey_RedWoman  over a year ago

Liverpool

There are a couple of posters who like to ‘poke the bear’ "

Yes, when it's just mud flinging and character assassinations it's rarely a productive conversation. Sometimes it's just not worth engaging absolutely.

By *abs..Woman  over a year ago

I have opinions, sometimes I express them. The things is, do I care enough to get into a debate? Generally no, not on here. If it is something I am passionate about then I’m open to discussing it.

There are those that can’t accept other people have a different opinion and they try to beat you down with their views. I’m not really interested in that and I’ve seen many an argument based on differing opinions on the forums and my view is that it has been pretty pointless.

Express views, discuss, even debate, all fine. Shouting people down or ganging up is not fine.

I generally pop in comment and go. Works for me

By *ryandseeMan  over a year ago

Yorkshire

"I have opinions, sometimes I express them. The things is, do I care enough to get into a debate? Generally no, not on here. If it is something I am passionate about then I’m open to discussing it.

There are those that can’t accept other people have a different opinion and they try to beat you down with their views. I’m not really interested in that and I’ve seen many an argument based on differing opinions on the forums and my view is that it has been pretty pointless.

Express views, discuss, even debate, all fine. Shouting people down or ganging up is not fine.

I generally pop in comment and go. Works for me "

It depends on the topic or thread and whether I feel my comments will add to the debate and be accepted or just ignored

By *JstarsoloWoman  over a year ago

Wombwell, Barnsley

"It's a tricky place to navigate if you have opinions especially if they are not those of the OP (of a thread) and their friends "

It certainly is.

Norfolk/Suffolk

"It's a tricky place to navigate if you have opinions especially if they are not those of the OP (of a thread) and their friends

It certainly is. "

But that's exactly the same in life

You can be perfectly correct but outnumbered. Read the room.

There’s some people I avoid giving my opinions too. I haven’t got the energy or time to bang my head against a wall.

I’ll offer my opinion here there and everywhere though, but certainly not as expressive as some. I do it in a much more passive way, never meaning to get into such a deep discussion on a site or forum which is about sex.

You want politics? You want to discuss brexit or the Corina virus? Sure…knock yourself out, I’ll be over in the other corner flirting with a hot chic.

By *agpie and RavenCouple  over a year ago

Leicester

"I start typing but have second thoughts more often than I post. "

This is me. I'm so slow at typing and have to proof read before I post that I very often think "Nah, can't be arsed having to defend what I think".

Frank

Yorkshire

It's when people become almost abusive in their responses or their opinions are so extreme that spoil a healthy debate and exchange of views that I have no interest or time for. I am not here to argue. Have fun, banter, share info, express an opinion politely is all good, otherwise I am not interested. Also those who plant the seeds of arguments knowing very well what they are doing are also of no interest to me except than perhaps attracting my pity

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

It’s been noted and stated that I have opinions and I’m not shy about expressing them. That’s usually based on knowledge or experience, sometimes it’s based on my own feelings or my moral standpoint. I like a sharing of opinions and debate, the issue is that it’s rarely either and becomes about being right at all costs.

Debate doesn’t happen here, neither does discussion, mainly because people take disagreement as a personal attack. Very few read and digest nuance. If I write ‘I think’ it’s an opinion, if I write ‘many’ it doesn’t mean all.

On the internet many are armchair experts but discourse is rarely an expertise

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

I have opinions based on experience across a broad range of subjects and if I express those opinions and they are challenged I will defend them because that experience has taught me that I am not speaking out of turn or arguing just for the sake of it.

There are many many subjects on here that I don't express an opinion on either because I have no prior experience or just can't be arsed.

It's very rare that a topic in itself will trigger me but more often the refusal of others to acknowledge that what they are saying is offensive or dismissive.

That usually happens when someone asks for a solution or an opinion on why something has or hasn't happened and when others reply they are told to keep their opinions to themselves. They only want others to agree with them.

The best examples are the passive aggressive posts that are designed to have a dig at one section of the community but the op plays the victim or sympathy card when challenged.

By *ynecplCouple  over a year ago

Newcastle upon Tyne

These days tend not to get involved as the most forum debated tend to have so diametrically opposing view that no amount of discussion will get people to change their views.

Yes I am aware I have just expressed an opinion.

By *ellinever70Woman  over a year ago

Ayrshire

I'll use more words and reason in the real world to assert my opinion.

On here, I sometimes ask others questions about their opinions.

Which often isn't warmly accepted

By *ellhungvweMan  over a year ago

Cheltenham

I am happy to say what I think. I don’t care what others think.

That said I think there are more than a few forumites who write before they think and get annoyed if you say anything that goes against their beliefs. A lot of these people think they are very open minded and then you find in discussion with others people that they block people left, right and centre because they don’t like their views.

I think people should chill and if you block based on a forum post then you really should consider how open minded you really are.

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"I am happy to say what I think. I don’t care what others think.

That said I think there are more than a few forumites who write before they think and get annoyed if you say anything that goes against their beliefs. A lot of these people think they are very open minded and then you find in discussion with others people that they block people left, right and centre because they don’t like their views.

I think people should chill and if you block based on a forum post then you really should consider how open minded you really are."

You're assuming of course they're blocking based on a post and not something else?

And if someone chooses to block based on something written in the forums or because of opinions/attitudes displayed then is it reasonable to think them as not being open minded, or is it just that they feel that someone is incompatible with them based on their opinions.

Having a different viewpoint doesn't equate to a lack of open mindedness and blocking someone isn't a personal insult. It's just a permanent filter. People can use the block facility for whatever they choose - to stop messages, to prevent people viewing them, to prevent people seeing what they post in status updates or who they've met and been verifies by.

It's not always just down to forum posts. They can be a trigger, but so an a lot of things.

A

Yorkshire

After a while you get to realise who are the perpetual trouble makers - not necessarily for their differing opinions but the manner and way it's expressed, often varying from bullying to abusive. However we all have choices to ignore and move on, block or not etc. There are a few that if I see they have started a topic, I will not read it no matter what it is. Only a few though as most people I find are reasonable and appreciate someone can have a different opinion.

Cheltenham

I think people should chill and if you block based on a forum post then you really should consider how open minded you really are.

You're assuming of course they're blocking based on a post and not something else?

And if someone chooses to block based on something written in the forums or because of opinions/attitudes displayed then is it reasonable to think them as not being open minded, or is it just that they feel that someone is incompatible with them based on their opinions.

Having a different viewpoint doesn't equate to a lack of open mindedness and blocking someone isn't a personal insult. It's just a permanent filter. People can use the block facility for whatever they choose - to stop messages, to prevent people viewing them, to prevent people seeing what they post in status updates or who they've met and been verifies by.

It's not always just down to forum posts. They can be a trigger, but so an a lot of things.

A"

I understand that and agree. However I _do_ know of instances where people are blocked because of views. There have also been threads in the past where people have explicitly said they do this. The “Would you fuck a XXX?” threads are usually pretty good hunting grounds.

I say what I think and don't kiss arse.

People are entitled to their opinions. Everyone judges, even the ones who whine on about #bekind.

I like to consider different opinions so I often put forward the opposing view. Some people think I'm a cunt because obviously it means that I believe XYZ.

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

A

I understand that and agree. However I _do_ know of instances where people are blocked because of views. There have also been threads in the past where people have explicitly said they do this. The “Would you fuck a XXX?” threads are usually pretty good hunting grounds."

Oh I'm not saying at all that people don't block because of forum posts and views. I/We do quite often.

The same as we do when stumbling across things in profiles that put us off.

Or photos.

Or message content.

I'm grateful to those that are willing to openly post their feelings, views and opinions publicly. I'd much rather they did regardless of whether they're views I share, instead of hiding their thoughts or towing the line to fit in.

Because the more open and up-front people are in forum posts the easier it is to gauge any compatibility, mutual shared views and like minded opinions.

And the easier it is to filter out those you know you'd never get on with in person.

A

By *inky-MinxWoman  over a year ago

Grantham

Read my posts and decide

By *eviants In DefianceCouple  over a year ago

Maidstone

On the forums no, not anymore. Its all too often a humourless dry place and people take offence on behalf of others just because they can. The forums are a trolls paradise and can't be arsed with it. Hence stay quiet for most discussions nowadays.

E

Cheltenham

A

I understand that and agree. However I _do_ know of instances where people are blocked because of views. There have also been threads in the past where people have explicitly said they do this. The “Would you fuck a XXX?” threads are usually pretty good hunting grounds.

Oh I'm not saying at all that people don't block because of forum posts and views. I/We do quite often.

Or photos.

Or message content.

I'm grateful to those that are willing to openly post their feelings, views and opinions publicly. I'd much rather they did regardless of whether they're views I share, instead of hiding their thoughts or towing the line to fit in.

Because the more open and up-front people are in forum posts the easier it is to gauge any compatibility, mutual shared views and like minded opinions.

And the easier it is to filter out those you know you'd never get on with in person.

A

"

QED

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

A

Or photos.

Or message content.

A

QED"

Which point specifically do you think that comment demonstrates?

(Yes I'm old enough to remember the little Latin we were forced to learn at school.......)

A

Cheltenham

A

Or photos.

Or message content.

A

QED

(Yes I'm old enough to remember the little Latin we were forced to learn at school.......)

A"

I think anyone who blocks based on a forum post abdicates any right to consider themselves open minded.

By *ealitybitesMan  over a year ago

Belfast

In my opinion anyone who claims they say what they want and don't care what others think is not someone I would ever want to have a conversation with because they are usually the same people who don't care what they say to others and are literally saying "I'm a cunt, deal with it!"

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

A

Or photos.

Or message content.

A

QED

A

I think anyone who blocks based on a forum post abdicates any right to consider themselves open minded. "

Even if that block is due to someone displaying intolerant, very closed minded views, or something clearly racist/sexist/homophobic for example?

Because that doesn't in any way shape or form highlight any lack.of open mindedness.

I'd be worried if some people didn't find themselves blocked given many of the posts I've seen on here in the last 14 years...........

A

By *ily WhiteWoman  over a year ago

?

I have no qualms about voicing my opinion, here or elsewhere...but I tend not to very much on here because I really can't be arsed dealing with the whining from the terminally offended.

Cheltenham

"

I think anyone who blocks based on a forum post abdicates any right to consider themselves open minded.

Even if that block is due to someone displaying intolerant, very closed minded views, or something clearly racist/sexist/homophobic for example?

Because that doesn't in any way shape or form highlight any lack.of open mindedness.

I'd be worried if some people didn't find themselves blocked given many of the posts I've seen on here in the last 14 years...........

A"

Yes.

I think you actively engage with people and disagree. Blocking people because of their view leads to insularity and self reinforcing mindsets. Society is lessened by that.

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"

A

Yes.

I think you actively engage with people and disagree. Blocking people because of their view leads to insularity and self reinforcing mindsets. Society is lessened by that."

I think you're over estimating the importance of the Fab forums and website in general a touch there.

Being blocked because someone finds your views or comments offensive won't lead to the fall of society.

It won't be affected or lessened at all. Whilst the site and forums are made up from elements of society, society as a whole couldn't give a toss what happens on here.

A

Cheltenham

"I think you're over estimating the importance of the Fab forums and website in general a touch there.

A"

100% agree but then I wasn’t the one who started a thread about something “Deep for a Saturday afternoon I know, but hey..........” and who I knew would bite on the bait I threw out because they think they are open minded

By *iscean_dreamMan  over a year ago

Port talbot

"

A

Yes.

I think you actively engage with people and disagree. Blocking people because of their view leads to insularity and self reinforcing mindsets. Society is lessened by that.

I think you're over estimating the importance of the Fab forums and website in general a touch there.

Being blocked because someone finds your views or comments offensive won't lead to the fall of society.

It won't be affected or lessened at all. Whilst the site and forums are made up from elements of society, society as a whole couldn't give a toss what happens on here.

A"

I'm pretty sure I've been blocked by a few for my views but life goes on, in fact I went to Oooft someone today and it came up with that message to inform me

I'm happy to give my opinion and elaborate if I need to but it's draining after a while so you have to let things just be now and then

I think when someone uses words like open-minded or tolerant, they should accompany it with what they are open-minded about/tolerant with. No human can be 100% open-minded and tolerant about everything.

By *tephTV67TV/TS  over a year ago

Cheshire

I pick my battles. But anyone using terms such as ‘woke’ or ‘snowflake’ are not worth engaging with. I just wish they’d stick to the Daily Fails comment section.

Im not here to have opinions on things i dont care enough to fight for an opinion

» Add a new message to this topic