FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Diverse Books/Authors

Diverse Books/Authors

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

My goal is to read 52 books this year and I want as few of them to be written by (or about) straight, able-bodied, white people as possible. Not because I have anything against them. I'm just trying to introduce some diversity into my book case.

My favourites so far:

Anything by Talia Hibbert

Sitting Pretty by Rebekah Taussig

The House in the Cerulean Sea and Under the Whispering Door by TJ Klune

A Universe of Wishes edited by Dhonielle Clayton

Agnes Moor's Wild Knight by Alyssa Cole.

Hit me up with your recommendations, please!

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

The colour purple by Alice Walker

The kite runner by Khaled Hosseini

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

If you like fantasy type novels, the Broken Earth trilogy by NK Jemisin is fantastic.

In non-fiction, "Africa is not a country" by Dipo Faloyn is really interesting and well written.

By *eliWoman  over a year ago

I'll know it when I find it.

Lustre - Raven Leilani. It's just so so good (I identify a bit with the protagonist so possible bias).

We Should All Be Feminists - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Powerful, moving. You might find it utter tosh though.

Gods of Want - K-Ming Chang. Surreal anthology of beauty and weirdness. Truly amazing.

Try

Girl, woman, other - Bernadine Evaristo

Girl - Edna O'brien

Becoming - Michelle O'bama

"Lustre - Raven Leilani. It's just so so good (I identify a bit with the protagonist so possible bias).

We Should All Be Feminists - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Powerful, moving. You might find it utter tosh though.

Gods of Want - K-Ming Chang. Surreal anthology of beauty and weirdness. Truly amazing.

"

I like Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie so I really don't think I'd find it tosh. In fact, that sounds right up my street! I'll look the others up too! Thank you

"Lustre - Raven Leilani. It's just so so good (I identify a bit with the protagonist so possible bias).

I like Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie so I really don't think I'd find it tosh. In fact, that sounds right up my street! I'll look the others up too! Thank you "

Oh brilliant! I wasn't sure, sometimes the recommendation goes down like a lead balloon. A really filled lead balloon. Feminism huh? :D

So other texts

Virginia Woolf's Orlando because classic queer text is a joy.

The Line of Beauty, Alan Hollinghurst, one day undoubtedly it will be regarded as a classic.

By *inCity BluesMan  over a year ago

London

The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne.

The fictional life story of a gay Irishman, from his time in his outcast, 16-year-old, unmarried mother's womb right up to his 65th birthday.

A brilliant doorstop of a book spanning seven decades of Irish and gay history, from the end of WW2 to the 2000s.

It is wonderfully written, frequently hilarious - and I mean laugh-out-loud-on-a-packed-Tube-train hilarious - sometimes harrowing, but always clever, engaging, and life-affirming. Read it once and it will stay with you forever.

I read it late last year and it instantly became one of my favourite books of all time. I cannot recommend it enough.

By *ack688Man  over a year ago

abruzzo Italy (and UK)

The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett

The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters

Kindred by Octavia Butler

Pachinko by Lee Min-Jin

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

"

The Line of Beauty, Alan Hollinghurst, one day undoubtedly it will be regarded as a classic.

"

Seconded, this is great!

"Try

Girl - Edna O'brien

"

I've read Girl, Woman, Other and I forgot that Girl has been recommended to me by someone else.

Just walked past my bookcase and remembered:

Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams

What A Time to Be Alone by Chidera Eggerue

If you like sci-fi .. Peter F Hamilton , the nights dawn trilogy .. you’ll thank me .. amazing story

By *ustauseerTV/TS  over a year ago

Sedgemoor

"Try

Girl - Edna O'brien

"

Becoming was one of my favourite books I’ve read recently.

"Try

Girl - Edna O'brien

I've read Girl, Woman, Other and I forgot that Girl has been recommended to me by someone else. "

Girl is a pretty hard read.. I started it, but haven't finished it yet

"Try

Girl - Edna O'brien

Becoming was one of my favourite books I’ve read recently. "

Isn't she amazing.. I wish she had the desire to run for President

"The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne.

The fictional life story of a gay Irishman, from his time in his outcast, 16-year-old, unmarried mother's womb right up to his 65th birthday.

A brilliant doorstop of a book spanning seven decades of Irish and gay history, from the end of WW2 to the 2000s.

It is wonderfully written, frequently hilarious - and I mean laugh-out-loud-on-a-packed-Tube-train hilarious - sometimes harrowing, but always clever, engaging, and life-affirming. Read it once and it will stay with you forever.

I read it late last year and it instantly became one of my favourite books of all time. I cannot recommend it enough. "

Don't mean to hijack the thread but thanks for the recommendation just purchased

"The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne.

I read it late last year and it instantly became one of my favourite books of all time. I cannot recommend it enough.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but thanks for the recommendation just purchased "

You're not hijacking! It's what the thread is for

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

"The colour purple by Alice Walker

The kite runner by Khaled Hosseini"

Both excellent but disturbing

London

"Don't mean to hijack the thread but thanks for the recommendation just purchased "

You will love it, hopefully. It's a very Irish book, and if you read the speech parts in an Irish voice the real brilliance of the humour comes through. My favourite line, from Mary-Margaret Muffet, the main character's girlfriend (yes, he's gay. It's a long story):

"I always think the great thing about the civil service is that you can go in there at 20 years of age, spend every day of your life behind one desk and before you know it you're an old man and it's all behind you and the only thing left to do is die. There must be great security in that."*

*For anyone who's ever been a civil servant. If I still was I'd print that out and put it above my desk.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Mother Without a Mask Patricia Holton

By *ou only live onceMan  over a year ago

London

So, I'd go with...

The Line of Beauty, Alan Hollinghurst. It does feature a lot of white, middle-class privilege, but also a story of being gay in the 80s, and also just one of my all-time favourite books.

White Teeth, Zadie Smith. Bit predictable maybe, but great tale of the immigrant experience.

Half a Life, V S Naipaul (as above!)

The Buddha of Suburbia, Hanif Kureishi. Another of my all-time favourites, about a mixed-heritage guy growing up in South London. Can't think why I like it so much!

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

Looks like they have The Line of Beauty at the library so I've reserved it. Result! Going to work through the rest too.

By *2000ManMan  over a year ago

Worthing

Contest by Matthew Reilly.

By *ou only live onceMan  over a year ago

London

"Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

Looks like they have The Line of Beauty at the library so I've reserved it. Result! Going to work through the rest too. "

Hope you enjoy it! I loved it.

By *ampWithABrainWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

Oranges are not the only fruit - Jeanette winterson a classic for a reason

Beloved - Toni Morrison.

I know why the caged bird sings - maya Angelou

"Don't mean to hijack the thread but thanks for the recommendation just purchased

You will love it, hopefully. It's a very Irish book, and if you read the speech parts in an Irish voice the real brilliance of the humour comes through. My favourite line, from Mary-Margaret Muffet, the main character's girlfriend (yes, he's gay. It's a long story):

"I always think the great thing about the civil service is that you can go in there at 20 years of age, spend every day of your life behind one desk and before you know it you're an old man and it's all behind you and the only thing left to do is die. There must be great security in that."*

*For anyone who's ever been a civil servant. If I still was I'd print that out and put it above my desk."

Am loving it and very hard to put down

Some of the bits in it are so true to life its scary

By *inda May SimmonsTV/TS  over a year ago

hexham

The Famished Road

By Ben Okri

Has that been mentioned yet?

Anyway, it is a brilliant book

Try look into anything by Sidney Sheldon

Nothing lasts forever

Windmills of the gods

If tomorrow comes

Highly recommend them spent many afternoons re reading them

By *hoirCouple  over a year ago

Clacton/Bury St. Edmunds

"Try

Girl - Edna O'brien

"

Michelle Obama used a ghostwriter (Barack said so) so that could still be a white male writer.

C

"Try

Girl - Edna O'brien

Michelle Obama used a ghostwriter (Barack said so) so that could still be a white male writer.

C"

Hmmm, interesting point. I think I'd still count it though as it's about her.

By *iaisonseekerMan  over a year ago

Liverpool

Zadie Smith has written some great books spanning time, race and continents. White Teeth is fantastic but so too are On Beauty and Swing Time.

Frankissstein by Jeannette Winterson has a trans protagonist but might be a bit metafictional for some tastes. Some fascinating ideas in there though.

“One rainy night” by Richard Laymont

Saying that I’ve read almost all his work and it’s amazing, “endless night” is another great one

By *ollydoesWoman  over a year ago

Shangri-La

I know why the caged boed sings.

Maya Angelou

By *ollydoesWoman  over a year ago

Shangri-La

"I know why the caged boed sings.

Maya Angelou "

Bird..

London

"Am loving it and very hard to put down

Some of the bits in it are so true to life its scary "

Glad you're enjoying it (The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne).

It is so good that I'd defy anyone not to love it. So many great characters: Mary-Margaret Muffet, The Averys, Mr Denby-Denby. Wait until you meet Dr Dourish!

I recommend it to everyone I know. It's just one of the most heartbreaking, heartwarming and funniest books that I've ever read.

By *pursChick aka ShortieWoman  over a year ago

On a mooch

The Bone Woman by Clea Koff

Trumpet - Jackie Kay. Loved this so much when I read it 20 years ago.

Woman on the Edge of Time - Marge Piercy.

By *Cocksucker84Man  over a year ago

Leeds

Anything by Toni Morrison- My favourites are The Bluest Eye and Beloved. In her own words she wanted to write about black people for black people. A beautiful writer.

Haruki Murakami is brilliant and very obscure. My favourite there is The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. His books are very dream-like, full of beautiful descriptions of food and very striking images.

Arundhati Roy- The God of Small Things and Isabel Allende- The House of the Spirits. Both brilliant but very different family sagas. One set in the middle-east, and one in latin America. Both very colourful, lots of strong characters and with very political undertones at times. Also some magical realism there.

Nice bump!

I'm currently reading Firekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley which is interesting.

By *it-chrissyTV/TS  over a year ago

sw. london

Love medicine by louise erdrich

Love in the time of cholera by gabriel garcia marquez

x

By *0tt0nSu3Woman  over a year ago

London

Bookmarked!

I’ve said so many times on here but Open Water by Caleb Azumah Nelson is one of the best books I’ve read. A gorgeous love story about two Black Londoners that considers the way that race impacts us and intersects with masculinity at points I think.

Also now reading NW by Zadie Smith. I’ve heard mixed things about her but seems great.

By *oystick-MCRMan  over a year ago

Manchester | London

Brb

By *Cocksucker84Man  over a year ago

Leeds

"I’ve said so many times on here but Open Water by Caleb Azumah Nelson is one of the best books I’ve read. A gorgeous love story about two Black Londoners that considers the way that race impacts us and intersects with masculinity at points I think.

Also now reading NW by Zadie Smith. I’ve heard mixed things about her but seems great. "

I haven't read a lot but I really liked White Teeth and On Beauty.

"I’ve said so many times on here but Open Water by Caleb Azumah Nelson is one of the best books I’ve read. A gorgeous love story about two Black Londoners that considers the way that race impacts us and intersects with masculinity at points I think.

Also now reading NW by Zadie Smith. I’ve heard mixed things about her but seems great. "

I've ordered Open Water from WOB. Thank you for the recommendation!

Also now reading NW by Zadie Smith. I’ve heard mixed things about her but seems great.

I haven't read a lot but I really liked White Teeth and On Beauty. "

White teeth is my next read I hope

I've ordered Open Water from WOB. Thank you for the recommendation! "

Omg YES! Do tell what you think

I've ordered Open Water from WOB. Thank you for the recommendation!

Omg YES! Do tell what you think "

Will do!

By *ersuasion22Couple  over a year ago

Herts

The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett is fabulous. I'd also recommend Kindred by Octavia Butler (although it's a hard read content wise). Born a Crime by Trevor Noah is also wonderful and very funny in parts.

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

Sharpes tiger

By *orny-chubbyMan  over a year ago

East London

"The colour purple by Alice Walker

The kite runner by Khaled Hosseini

Both excellent but disturbing"

Books much better than the film. Read them twice

Historically I've found myself reading mostly straight white men so over the last couple of years I've made an effort to read more widely and found that at the moment the most interesting fiction is being written by writers of colour / women / LGBT writers. Recently I've mostly reading books by women - one of the best was Luster by Raven Leilani which I suspect will appeal to a lot of people on Fab

"Historically I've found myself reading mostly straight white men so over the last couple of years I've made an effort to read more widely and found that at the moment the most interesting fiction is being written by writers of colour / women / LGBT writers. Recently I've mostly reading books by women - one of the best was Luster by Raven Leilani which I suspect will appeal to a lot of people on Fab "

Ah I mentioned Luster! Isn't it utterly fantastic? Raw, unashamedly attuned with all the follies of human nature, the need we have for attention and to be desired.

"Historically I've found myself reading mostly straight white men so over the last couple of years I've made an effort to read more widely and found that at the moment the most interesting fiction is being written by writers of colour / women / LGBT writers. Recently I've mostly reading books by women - one of the best was Luster by Raven Leilani which I suspect will appeal to a lot of people on Fab

Ah I mentioned Luster! Isn't it utterly fantastic? Raw, unashamedly attuned with all the follies of human nature, the need we have for attention and to be desired."

Yes it was! I love books that are raw and honest, especially about sexuality, and that don't judge people for their desires and complexities. Have you read any other novels like it that you can recommend?

By *ittlebirdWoman  over a year ago

The Big Smoke

The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon. My favourite book ever

"Nice bump!

I'm currently reading Firekeeper's Daughter by Angeline Boulley which is interesting. "

I enjoyed this one (wonder who left!)

A couple of others I've read recently

The good immigrant - Nikesh Shukla

Will Smith autobiography

"Historically I've found myself reading mostly straight white men so over the last couple of years I've made an effort to read more widely and found that at the moment the most interesting fiction is being written by writers of colour / women / LGBT writers. Recently I've mostly reading books by women - one of the best was Luster by Raven Leilani which I suspect will appeal to a lot of people on Fab

Ah I mentioned Luster! Isn't it utterly fantastic? Raw, unashamedly attuned with all the follies of human nature, the need we have for attention and to be desired.

Yes it was! I love books that are raw and honest, especially about sexuality, and that don't judge people for their desires and complexities. Have you read any other novels like it that you can recommend? "

In a similar vein, the whole exploring, discovering, embracing complexity - Adèle by Leila Slimani. Not quite as good but maybe it's because I couldn't identify with the protagonist in the same way.

Yes it was! I love books that are raw and honest, especially about sexuality, and that don't judge people for their desires and complexities. Have you read any other novels like it that you can recommend?

In a similar vein, the whole exploring, discovering, embracing complexity - Adèle by Leila Slimani. Not quite as good but maybe it's because I couldn't identify with the protagonist in the same way."

I've not heard of that one, I'll look out for it. What was it about the Luster protagonist that you identified with so much?

By *orny-chubbyMan  over a year ago

East London

"Historically I've found myself reading mostly straight white men so over the last couple of years I've made an effort to read more widely and found that at the moment the most interesting fiction is being written by writers of colour / women / LGBT writers. Recently I've mostly reading books by women - one of the best was Luster by Raven Leilani which I suspect will appeal to a lot of people on Fab "

I have just seen that on Vinted selling from £2

Love buying and selling my books on there .

I just finished 'Between the world and me' - ta-nehisi coates

It was a pulitzer prize finalist

» Add a new message to this topic