FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Quitting smoking

Quitting smoking

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *iscreet-fun98 OP   Man  over a year ago

Hwest sometimes wrexham

I’ve decided to quit smoking due to a medical issue and was wondering if anyone had any advice with ways to help me quit…. I don’t want to use vapes because that’s just replacing 1 bad habit with another?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Sorry, I have no advice, but good luck sending you best wishes

By *ora the explorerWoman  over a year ago

Paradise, Herts

I used vapes so I don’t really have any other advice as nothing else worked for me.

Good luck though.

Hwest sometimes wrexham

"Sorry, I have no advice, but good luck sending you best wishes "

Thank you!

By *attMonroMan  over a year ago

NE and Central Belt

When I gave up and was having a wobble, I would always tell myself "I want one, I could have one but I'm not going to. If I'm still desperate tomorrow, I'll have one then". Tomorrow always came but either the need for a cig passed or I would say the same again. This way you don't feel like you have given something up. But you end up doing so. It's good psychology because it means you don't feel denied so much.

Best of luck.

Hwest sometimes wrexham

"I used vapes so I don’t really have any other advice as nothing else worked for me.

Good luck though. "

Yeah I would have gone for them but because it’s a lung condition I’d rather not risk it…. Thank you!

Last time I stopped I used an app to see how much money I was saving. Helped to spur me on.

Better if you can put the cash aside and then treat yourself to something with the money you've saved.

Hwest sometimes wrexham

"When I gave up and was having a wobble, I would always tell myself "I want one, I could have one but I'm not going to. If I'm still desperate tomorrow, I'll have one then". Tomorrow always came but either the need for a cig passed or I would say the same again. This way you don't feel like you have given something up. But you end up doing so. It's good psychology because it means you don't feel denied so much.

Best of luck. "

Thank you appreciate it mate I’ll try giving it a go!

By *ocusMan  over a year ago

Cambridge

"When I gave up and was having a wobble, I would always tell myself "I want one, I could have one but I'm not going to. If I'm still desperate tomorrow, I'll have one then". Tomorrow always came but either the need for a cig passed or I would say the same again. This way you don't feel like you have given something up. But you end up doing so. It's good psychology because it means you don't feel denied so much.

Best of luck. "

+1 for this comment. I was a heavy smoker ("I get through 2-3 lighters a day." - Bill Hicks) and just went cold turkey. Every time I got a craving I made myself conscious of it and reminded myself why I was doing it and how good I'd feel if I resisted. Don't give in to "oh just this one" because it'll make you feel rotten when you do.

Good luck!

Try going to a steam sauna you do sweat out the nicotine in your body it does help somewhat

By *heNerdyFembyWoman  over a year ago

Eastbourne (she/they)

"I’ve decided to quit smoking due to a medical issue and was wondering if anyone had any advice with ways to help me quit…. I don’t want to use vapes because that’s just replacing 1 bad habit with another? "

27 months since my last one... I tried countless times, none of them lasted more than 3 months until the last.

I got prescribed champix through the stop smoking service.

Patches helped me, you GP or hospital will offer a stop smoking service where you can get some for free.

By *orthwhile27Man  over a year ago

dark side of the moon

I loved smoking but I packed in back in 2003 for no other reason but for a laugh. It wasn't always funny but the cravings you get only last a few minutes.

Even now I'll get the waft of smoke and think mmmmmmmmm.

Never fell back into it since day 1.

Good luck

I found that eating Tic Tacs helped take my mind off the immediate craving but as they're small weren't too unhealthy.

I also needed something to do with my hands so that I want reaching for a packet that wasn't there so I did cross stitch or paint by numbers etc. just to keep my hands busy.

By *abarellaWoman  over a year ago

Warminster

"I’ve decided to quit smoking due to a medical issue and was wondering if anyone had any advice with ways to help me quit…. I don’t want to use vapes because that’s just replacing 1 bad habit with another?

27 months since my last one... I tried countless times, none of them lasted more than 3 months until the last.

I got prescribed champix through the stop smoking service."

I second the champix if you can handle the side effects.

By *oberts_onMan  over a year ago

King's Lynn

"I’ve decided to quit smoking due to a medical issue and was wondering if anyone had any advice with ways to help me quit…. I don’t want to use vapes because that’s just replacing 1 bad habit with another?

I second the champix if you can handle the side effects. "

Definitely champix, but I was told about eating first thing before you take one, which I don't normally do...

Hwest sometimes wrexham

I second the champix if you can handle the side effects. "

What side effects do they have?

By *lhr1061Man  over a year ago

Warwickshire

Gave up 16yrs ago, used some tablets from the doctors, think they were called zyban. Absolutely amazing woke up one morning not wanting a cigarette and never touched one since. No cravings. So glad I have up.

I found the patches very useful but due to personal circumstances at the time, my head just wasn't in the right place.

Then about 8 years I just decided to give up one day. Throw the cigarettes into the bin and not had one since.

By *iscean_dreamMan  over a year ago

Port talbot

I used patches and vaping and stopped patches in March and been vaping since.

Just use gum and patches if don't fancy vaping but it's your best chance of stopping

Best of luck.

+1 for this comment. I was a heavy smoker ("I get through 2-3 lighters a day." - Bill Hicks) and just went cold turkey. Every time I got a craving I made myself conscious of it and reminded myself why I was doing it and how good I'd feel if I resisted. Don't give in to "oh just this one" because it'll make you feel rotten when you do.

Good luck!"

This and only this.

You've given up because you WANT to. Not only that but you have the added incentive of a medical requirement.

I subscribe to the 'habit' idea, you are addicted to the habit of smoking, not the nicotine or chemicals in it. Break the habit and you can stop.

I did it 11 weeks ago today, just stopped, didn't bother buying anymore. Haven't touched one since. I could and easily start again but I don't want to, it's as easy as that.

By *eviants In DefianceCouple  over a year ago

Maidstone

We both have up recently. Eros went through the stop smoking service and got the nicotine spray, it's not the nicest taste but it works. I went cold turkey and just used normal chewing gum and mints to help when I had a craving. Staying away from others that smoke helps especially at the beginning, I also found it nice to not smell of smoke so that helped motivate me.

Good luck OP, you can do it!

Pxx

I quit using a vape after trying pretty much everything else available.

By *ustauseerTV/TS  over a year ago

Sedgemoor

You have to want to change, it has to be a strong urge and the passion within you that goes I need to do this for XYZ reason.

By *mma1973Woman  over a year ago

graffiti bridge

"I’ve decided to quit smoking due to a medical issue and was wondering if anyone had any advice with ways to help me quit…. I don’t want to use vapes because that’s just replacing 1 bad habit with another? "

See your gp for help

By * and R cple4Couple  over a year ago

swansea

The stop smoking service is probably your best bet ..Good luck

By *UGGYBEAR2015Man  over a year ago

BRIDPORT

Remembrance Sunday 2003, a friend who had given up a year previously, said , ‘why don’t you jack it in’.

Finished what I had and stopped cold turkey.

You have to really want to stop OP, no amount of ‘aids’ will help you if you don’t have the commitment.

Several large buckets of Kojack lollipops got me through, it seemed to satisfy the hand and mouth impulse actions until I no longer associated them with smoking.

Job done.

Good luck OP.

Hwest sometimes wrexham

Thank you all I really appreciate the advice!

By *oystick-MCRMan  over a year ago

Manchester | London

Cake is 3x cheaper

By *weetheart.Woman  over a year ago

N Shields

Try patches. They worked for me, I used to smoke 20 a day for 20+ years.

After several chest infections in quick succession I decided to stop smoking. Whacked a patch on and went to bed. Woke up next day, put another patch on and kept busy all day to distract myself. Repeated for a couple of days and that was it, I was now a non smoker. But I must add you really do have to WANT to stop smoking, no half attempts. All or nothing.

Good luck.

Am on day 10 of not smoking cigs I am vaping so technically am still smoker eg vaping I was smoking for 45 years and just two weeks ago just though fuck if that’s it

It is very hard considering prat’s at work but resistance is high

"Cake is 3x cheaper "

Doesn't light as easilly tho

By *oystick-MCRMan  over a year ago

Manchester | London

"Cake is 3x cheaper

Doesn't light as easilly tho"

Buy candles with the change and still have enough for Tesco meal deal

Hwest sometimes wrexham

"Cake is 3x cheaper

Doesn't light as easilly tho

Buy candles with the change and still have enough for Tesco meal deal "

I do love a scented candle good shout pal

By *rMs.NeekCouple  over a year ago

Worcestershire

I used gum and the old fashioned fake cigarettes that had different nicotine levels. Couldn't use patches as allergic to sticky

I also found I had to change some habits. Had tk stop going to pubs for a while.

I know people who collect the money they save for something in a jar or separate account

Good luck

Hwest sometimes wrexham

"I used gum and the old fashioned fake cigarettes that had different nicotine levels. Couldn't use patches as allergic to sticky

I also found I had to change some habits. Had tk stop going to pubs for a while.

I know people who collect the money they save for something in a jar or separate account

Good luck "

Well that’s going to be a tricky one because I work in a pub hopefully it doesn’t bother me too much though

By *rMs.NeekCouple  over a year ago

Worcestershire

"I used gum and the old fashioned fake cigarettes that had different nicotine levels. Couldn't use patches as allergic to sticky

Good luck

Well that’s going to be a tricky one because I work in a pub hopefully it doesn’t bother me too much though"

Trickier then. Thankfully smoking ban now at least. When I worked in pubs we'd stand at bar with customers. Good luck

Patches and going to the cessation lady getting breathalysed weekly worked!! I did and still do vape but you can reduce the nicotine content as you progress

Hwest sometimes wrexham

"Patches and going to the cessation lady getting breathalysed weekly worked!! I did and still do vape but you can reduce the nicotine content as you progress "

I’ve never heard off them what do they do just breathalyse you for nicotine is it?

"Patches and going to the cessation lady getting breathalysed weekly worked!! I did and still do vape but you can reduce the nicotine content as you progress

I’ve never heard off them what do they do just breathalyse you for nicotine is it?"

Yes it reads carbon monoxide levels. Think mine were about 30 when I started……so good to see the readings go down

By *ob Carpe DiemMan  over a year ago

Torquay

Don't think Champix is available just now sadly, I believe it's very effective

By *nal-DelightTV/TS  over a year ago

Haywards Heath

I got somebody to quit by carrying a jar for their butts around and they had to use strike anywhere matches with out the striker.

If they wanted a smoke they had to sniff the butt jar first, then find something to strike the match on. Took two weeks.

Try taking cough medicine expectorant works three times a day. Lol

By *hristopherd999Man  over a year ago

Brentwood

I did it hour by hour

use niquitin patches first day you won't feel much 3rd day u will put it on b4 u get out of bed worked for me

Champix was amazing

And to answer the side effect question, mine were two weeks of the most vivid, mental dreams. The kind where u wake up and wonder what the fuck is wrong with you

Gave up 20 years ago with lozenges, still on said lozenges now

By *abarellaWoman  over a year ago

Warminster

"Champix was amazing

And to answer the side effect question, mine were two weeks of the most vivid, mental dreams. The kind where u wake up and wonder what the fuck is wrong with you"

I had similar but also had banging headaches, shakes, nausea so doc suggested I stop taking them as I had stopped smoking by that point.

Some people have reported suicida* thoughts, depression ect but rare

"Champix was amazing

And to answer the side effect question, mine were two weeks of the most vivid, mental dreams. The kind where u wake up and wonder what the fuck is wrong with you"

I tried Zyban when it first appeared. After 3 days of using it I went almost completely blind for 4 days!

"Champix was amazing

And to answer the side effect question, mine were two weeks of the most vivid, mental dreams. The kind where u wake up and wonder what the fuck is wrong with you

I had similar but also had banging headaches, shakes, nausea so doc suggested I stop taking them as I had stopped smoking by that point.

Some people have reported suicida* thoughts, depression ect but rare "

yeah I believe so. I suffer depression anyway so difficult to say whether or not that was a thing for me. All medications can have adverse side effects though. It's one of those - you don't know until you try it.

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple  over a year ago

Leeds

Another vote for champex, although I've restarted I stopped for a few years and it was the only thing to help, I'd tried patches, gun, vaping nothing worked until the champex.

Mrs

"Another vote for champex, although I've restarted I stopped for a few years and it was the only thing to help, I'd tried patches, gun, vaping nothing worked until the champex.

Mrs"

Can you still get champex in the UK? Looking at the NHS website they have stopped it.

» Add a new message to this topic