FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > a kinda techy question!

a kinda techy question!

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *sMinxy OP   Woman  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

I don't know if anyone will know the answer to this!!

I have the chance to get a new laptop through a workplace salary sacrafice scheme...

my question is I wouldnt 'officially' own it for 3 years... So would I be able to come on here on it?

I am sorry if no one knows answer... but wasnt one of questions in the FAQ bit..

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

Don't see any reason why not if you are buying it for personal use. It just means not paid for until the end if the 3 year term.

The only reason you may find it locked down is if you are expected to do work on it

By *ady4ladyWoman  over a year ago

liverpool

Suppose its the same as buying from Comet or PC world on a credit scheme, technically its not yours until its paid for. ?

Scunthorpe

thank you ryan x

no is just for my use at home...

Scunthorpe

hadnt thought of it like that lady xx

but yes is kind of the same...

me thinks i shall go for it!! too good to miss out on!

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

"thank you ryan x

no is just for my use at home..."

who would provide the IT support on it if you ran into any problems?

If that had to be done through work it might be a bit tricky...

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

yes you can i did the same and its fine x

The Salary sacrafice things through work are usually done by lease agreement. You effectively lease the item from them for the three years, the laptop remains your employers property for the three years, but they have no right to restrict (or monitor it's useage).

Laptop is then sold to you for a nominal fee as the transfer of title at the end of the lease term.

I have no idea ......no really not a clue

Best make sure you know before you log on just incase , it would be a crazy reason to get the boot

By *ust_for_laughsCouple  over a year ago

Hinckley

I bought a Dell on one of those schemes years ago, it was covered by Dell under their usual warranty and after 3 years it was mine for a small residual fee (one more months payment as I recall)

No one gave a shit what you did with it during the first 3 years

"I bought a Dell on one of those schemes years ago, it was covered by Dell under their usual warranty and after 3 years it was mine for a small residual fee (one more months payment as I recall)

No one gave a shit what you did with it during the first 3 years "

You can always get software like cyber scrub or window washer to remove all traces of browsing and chats. Used to use it for Facebook in work.

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

Depends on the laptop and its components. If you're giving up salary work out how much you'll be paying and look at a similar priced laptop. Many companies do instalment payments.

I'd expect it'll be a naff laptop personally... An old spec one that works out just as pricey as a good new one.

If its got anything less than a core i3 processor and 2GB ram, it will be more than 3 years old and won't pull any real weight on speed of use

By *arambarMan  over a year ago

swindon

"Depends on the laptop and its components. If you're giving up salary work out how much you'll be paying and look at a similar priced laptop. Many companies do instalment payments.

I'd expect it'll be a naff laptop personally... An old spec one that works out just as pricey as a good new one.

If its got anything less than a core i3 processor and 2GB ram, it will be more than 3 years old and won't pull any real weight on speed of use

"

But if it's just being used for internet browsing, email, Office, etc... then that's fine. Wouldn't want to play new games on it but for most other stuff it should be ok.

Plus the salary sacrifice has the benefit of reducing your NI contributions and income tax.

yumsville

online browsing what with flash and adversiting even MS Office are now becoming so much more intesive due to processor capabilities that old ones just freeze up.

Id honestly have a good look at the specs - nothing worse than a fucking advertising banner killing your browsing because of a naff processor

By *hite SnakeMan  over a year ago

leeds

"The Salary sacrafice things through work are usually done by lease agreement. You effectively lease the item from them for the three years, the laptop remains your employers property for the three years, but they have no right to restrict (or monitor it's useage).

Laptop is then sold to you for a nominal fee as the transfer of title at the end of the lease term. "

Depends on the company you work for they are under no obligation to sell it to you and can retain ownership at the end of the lease period and ask for it back.

By *hite SnakeMan  over a year ago

leeds

"The Salary sacrafice things through work are usually done by lease agreement. You effectively lease the item from them for the three years, the laptop remains your employers property for the three years, but they have no right to restrict (or monitor it's useage).

Laptop is then sold to you for a nominal fee as the transfer of title at the end of the lease term.

Depends on the company you work for they are under no obligation to sell it to you and can retain ownership at the end of the lease period and ask for it back."

Also they do have the right to monitor usage as part of the agreement will say it can be used for personal stuff but must be used for work also. This is a government scheme not there to help you but to help your employer.

I bought a desktop under a similar scheme a few years back. Work had no interest in it - the concept was that it boosted IT skills and there was no set model - you just chose how much you wanted to spend and a voucher was sent for you to select your equipment at Currys!

After 3 years I paid a tenner and it was mine!

Check the small print but I'd be surprised if your scheme is any different!

And made great financial sense!!

run ur browser thru a usb disk/card- portable apps dont install on the harddrive and the cache/history would be on the disk, not the computer...I think...

yumsville

"

Also they do have the right to monitor usage as part of the agreement will say it can be used for personal stuff but must be used for work also. This is a government scheme not there to help you but to help your employer."

yep - it'll be like any work perk - the employer is always accountable

By *amie0151Man  over a year ago

Wallasey

"I don't know if anyone will know the answer to this!!

I have the chance to get a new laptop through a workplace salary sacrafice scheme...

my question is I wouldnt 'officially' own it for 3 years... So would I be able to come on here on it?

I am sorry if no one knows answer... but wasnt one of questions in the FAQ bit.. "

Careful!

What if it breaks and the IT crowd have to fix it...?

They'll tell everybody in the office about your naughtiness

Check the terms and conditions with regards to what happens if you leave the company before the three years are up, you are made redundant or are fired.

Sometimes you can end up having to pay the remainder in one hit.

I did this. It was via Dell. All support was onsite at home from Dell.

Work are not in the slightest bit interested in what you do with it.

Saved me a fortune on a Dell XPS

» Add a new message to this topic