FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Heroes?

Heroes?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *emmefatale OP   Woman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Ive seen the word used a lot, so what makes someone a hero to you?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Someone who acts selflessly, and often in danger of injury or loss of life themselves, for and on behalf of others for no other reason that it is the right thing to do.

A soldier, a fireman, a policeman.

Oh and John is my hero xx

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"A soldier, a fireman, a policeman.

Oh and John is my hero xx"

Any soldier, fireman or policeman? So by wearing the uniform they are heroes to you?

Any of the many who went back into the twin towers.

By *oodmessMan  over a year ago

yumsville

I have several family members who are in the army, none of them consider themselves heros, and neither do I.

I have never understood why the connection was ever made either..

By *ucsparkMan  over a year ago

dudley

"Someone who acts selflessly, and often in danger of injury or loss of life themselves, for and on behalf of others for no other reason that it is the right thing to do."

What wishy washy said

I've known a few brave men who are no longer with us. Hero's one and all.

By *issBehavingxxWoman  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Someone who acts selflessly, and often in danger of injury or loss of life themselves, for and on behalf of others for no other reason that it is the right thing to do."

^^^ this

Oh and John is my hero xxAny soldier, fireman or policeman? So by wearing the uniform they are heroes to you?"

I have to agree. Sorry, but the general media-view that anyone who's a fireperson, in the forces etc is automatically a 'hero' seems pretty weird and unfounded in my opinion....!

someone with hero hair!

Ace Ventura?!

For me a 'hero' can earn the title from even the smallest acts of kindness, like helping up an elderly person from a fall in the street.

I like to think we all have our moments of being someone's 'hero' everyday

Oh and John is my hero xxAny soldier, fireman or policeman? So by wearing the uniform they are heroes to you?

I have to agree. Sorry, but the general media-view that anyone who's a fireperson, in the forces etc is automatically a 'hero' seems pretty weird and unfounded in my opinion....! "

They're the people who protect your freedom for little or no reward. They are the men who have given up their lives so you can post in threads like this. They are the men who have lost limbs so you can catch a bus without it exploding.

How else do describe them?

Oh and John is my hero xxAny soldier, fireman or policeman? So by wearing the uniform they are heroes to you?

I have to agree. Sorry, but the general media-view that anyone who's a fireperson, in the forces etc is automatically a 'hero' seems pretty weird and unfounded in my opinion....!

They're the people who protect your freedom for little or no reward. They are the men who have given up their lives so you can post in threads like this. They are the men who have lost limbs so you can catch a bus without it exploding.

How else do describe them?"

Sorry, but that's a cliche. Someone who's been forced by some public school gimp to go and fight illegal wars in some irrelevant country abroad, and in the process make this island MORE unsafe is not a hero. That's the truth - not jingoistic perhaps, but the thinking truth

ok...serious answer this time, almost echoing wishys statement.

a hero is someone who AT the time acts upon impulse during an event...they arent paid to do anything, they never went looking out for someone to save...and they do not glory in their heroism.It could be as simple as saving an epileptics life who's fitting on the street as others walk by , or someone pulling somebody out of a car accident.

"Ace Ventura?! "

For god sakes JIM, I'm a doctor..not a poolman!!!

"ok...serious answer this time, almost echoing wishys statement.

a hero is someone who AT the time acts upon impulse during an event...they arent paid to do anything, they never went looking out for someone to save...and they do not glory in their heroism.It could be as simple as saving an epileptics life who's fitting on the street as others walk by , or someone pulling somebody out of a car accident."

AMEN! Great over-view based on fact, rather than flag-waving, jingoistic, xenophobic nonsense. Cheers!

Sorry, but that's a cliche. Someone who's been forced by some public school gimp to go and fight illegal wars in some irrelevant country abroad, and in the process make this island MORE unsafe is not a hero. That's the truth - not jingoistic perhaps, but the thinking truth "

I wasn't forced to do anything. And not every conflict is illegal (unless you're a hippy).

I'm pretty sure there's plenty of justification for Afghanistan and a few others.

More unsafe? Erm, yeah, I forgot we started it by flying a plane into a mosque!

By *Ryan-Man  over a year ago

In Your Bush

Wasn't Billy a hero?

Yep, I'd agree with that...

I certainly don’t subscribe to the school of thought that identifies hero’s by talent or success…

...nor do I feel individuals who court public adoration with stage-managed displays of benevolence or philanthropic deeds are worthy of the accolade hero’s

Sometimes a simple act of selflessness like saying you’re not hungry when there’s not enough food to share can define a true hero to me….!.

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Your job does not make you heroic, how you do the job might.

I broadly agree with Wishy's definition.

Many heroic acts could be interpreted as foolish. Risk-taking and thrill seeking is not heroic but taking a risk in order to save someone could be.

The term is overused and thus leads to us devaluing true heroism.

If you look at the New Year's Honours list each year it often features not just the celebs/sportsmen & women who have excelled in the past year but rodinary people who have given a lifetime of service for the community in which they live. Never asking for recognition and more often than not embarrassed by attention they see as undeserving. They're called unsung heroes, and that's a pretty good description of them.

Firemen and women police and army men and women and people who die saving other people and not footballers or tv people !!

dirtybigbadsgirlville

"Firemen and women police and army men and women and people who die saving other people and not footballers or tv people !!"
So only the ones that die are heroes?

"

More unsafe? Erm, yeah, I forgot we started it by flying a plane into a mosque!"

Oooohh dear. Sorry, but you're not helping yourself here and only evidencing yourself as a jingoistic, flag-waving, xenophobic type......there's no point in saying anything else to someone with such blinkered,potentially fascist views. I prefer self-thinkers...but good luck and good night (....feel free to carry on...)

By *imply_SensualMan  over a year ago

warrington

For me its anyone who puts others before themselves to do something for someone else - that can be a life threatening situation or just an act of kindness.

"If you look at the New Year's Honours list each year it often features not just the celebs/sportsmen & women who have excelled in the past year but rodinary people who have given a lifetime of service for the community in which they live. Never asking for recognition and more often than not embarrassed by attention they see as undeserving. They're called unsung heroes, and that's a pretty good description of them."

"Your job does not make you heroic, how you do the job might.

I broadly agree with Wishy's definition.

Many heroic acts could be interpreted as foolish. Risk-taking and thrill seeking is not heroic but taking a risk in order to save someone could be.

The term is overused and thus leads to us devaluing true heroism."

My brother is a soldier and him and his buddies are heroes in my eyes - they are fighting for your right to live a free life. As did my Papa during the 2nd world war. Yes they get paid for it but it takes a certain type of person to lay their life on the line for £18k a year

My sister works for the fire service and those guys and girls are heroes who risk their lives going into burning buildings to save other peoples lives.

But tell you what if you don't think they are heroes why not phone them up and tell them that if your house goes on fire you'll be sure to get yourself and your family out and don't need their help!

And if the taliban ever do make it to our shores and try and force you to wear a burka and become a 3rd rate citizen I'll be sure to tell Andy to leave you be

I do believe individuals can be heroes too but I certainly couldn't name them all which is why I stuck by the ones I know!

L xx

By *hite SnakeMan  over a year ago

leeds

Ace Rimmer

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

all those who lye in a foriegn fields who faught and made the ultimate sacrifice that we may have and enjoy our freedoms today .

to qoute major dick winters when asked by his grandson was he ahero during ww2 "no son i wasnt a hero but i served with a few "

"Firemen and women police and army men and women and people who die saving other people and not footballers or tv people !!So only the ones that die are heroes?"
that came out the wrong way sorry I just feel real heroes is been used to much for sports people or any jack the lad !

"all those who lye in a foriegn fields who faught and made the ultimate sacrifice that we may have and enjoy our freedoms today .

to qoute major dick winters when asked by his grandson was he ahero during ww2 "no son i wasnt a hero but i served with a few " "

nice

"

More unsafe? Erm, yeah, I forgot we started it by flying a plane into a mosque!

Oooohh dear. Sorry, but you're not helping yourself here and only evidencing yourself as a jingoistic, flag-waving, xenophobic type......there's no point in saying anything else to someone with such blinkered,potentially fascist views. I prefer self-thinkers...but good luck and good night (....feel free to carry on...) "

You're priceless.

Humility, humbleness and selflessness.

Someone with a care free attitude who just gets on with life.

Someone who puts on a uniform and defends us.

Someone who isn't afraid to have a go at something and be ridiculed for it.

Someone who will help others without wanting help in return.

Someone who isn't afraid to lead by example.

Someone who guides and not chastides.

Someone who will admit to being wrong and pick themselves up, dust themselves down and carry on.

My friend Patrick drowned 18 years ago in our local river saving two 10 year olds who fell in the river and we got the kids out but Patrick didn't make it ! He is a hero and god bless him !

"My friend Patrick drowned 18 years ago in our local river saving two 10 year olds who fell in the river and we got the kids out but Patrick didn't make it ! He is a hero and god bless him !"

he is a hero xx

"Wasn't Billy a hero?"
No, he was told not to be!

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

"My friend Patrick drowned 18 years ago in our local river saving two 10 year olds who fell in the river and we got the kids out but Patrick didn't make it ! He is a hero and god bless him !"

Without causing offense to others...why cant we just agree its a pretty subjective term????

now I'm a hero for stopping the fight!-some chick come blowjob my dobber...NOW!

So I used to be a hero

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

How else do describe them?"

interesting you should use that example... I wouldn't say that person is a hero, but one of my heroes happen to be a woman at the time who refused to give up her seat in a situation where she was was forced to.....

rosa parks was her name.....

sometimes its the smallest simplist acts that can turn someone into a hero..

By *adchickCouple  over a year ago

Cyprus

[Removed by poster at 29/11/12 20:39:27]

Cyprus

"My brother is a soldier and him and his buddies are heroes in my eyes - they are fighting for your right to live a free life. As did my Papa during the 2nd world war. Yes they get paid for it but it takes a certain type of person to lay their life on the line for £18k a year

My sister works for the fire service and those guys and girls are heroes who risk their lives going into burning buildings to save other peoples lives.

But tell you what if you don't think they are heroes why not phone them up and tell them that if your house goes on fire you'll be sure to get yourself and your family out and don't need their help!

And if the taliban ever do make it to our shores and try and force you to wear a burka and become a 3rd rate citizen I'll be sure to tell Andy to leave you be

I do believe individuals can be heroes too but I certainly couldn't name them all which is why I stuck by the ones I know!

L xx "

Corporal Channing Day (a medic) who was fatally shot while tying to save the life of a another soldier who was shot by the Taliban......

Or the helicopter pilot who was shot whilst flying two wounded soldiers from their position to Bastion hospital for life saving surgery....who carried on flying until it was safe to put the helicopter down (saving countless more lives)...

Or the rear Private who took a bullet for his CO so the CO could carry his dying friend to safety....

The boys and girls on the ground in Afghanistan and those who back them up are ALL my hero's

So to those who don't believe that the military should be classed as heroes........ Bite me!!

"Ive seen the word used a lot, so what makes someone a hero to you?"

It is someone who has performed a heroic act. It doesn't have to be an act of aggression but often its when someone does something without thought for themselves.

"

interesting you should use that example... I wouldn't say that person is a hero, but one of my heroes happen to be a woman at the time who refused to give up her seat in a situation where she was was forced to.....

rosa parks was her name.....

sometimes its the smallest simplist acts that can turn someone into a hero..

"

She was indeed a hero. She fought for freedom and equality.

"My brother is a soldier and him and his buddies are heroes in my eyes - they are fighting for your right to live a free life. As did my Papa during the 2nd world war. Yes they get paid for it but it takes a certain type of person to lay their life on the line for £18k a year

L xx

Corporal Channing Day (a medic) who was fatally shot while tying to save the life of a another soldier who was shot by the Taliban......

Or the helicopter pilot who was shot whilst flying two wounded soldiers from their position to Bastion hospital for life saving surgery....who carried on flying until it was safe to put the helicopter down (saving countless more lives)...

Or the rear Private who took a bullet for his CO so the CO could carry his dying friend to safety....

The boys and girls on the ground in Afghanistan and those who back them up are ALL my hero's

So to those who don't believe that the military should be classed as heroes........ Bite me!! "

L xx

So to those who don't believe that the military should be classed as heroes........ Bite me!! "

I'd very much like to buy you a drink.

Well said

L xx

So to those who don't believe that the military should be classed as heroes........ Bite me!!

"

I certainly dont believe that all the military should be described as heroes. Yes, they are amazing at their jobs and deserve our gratitude and higher salaries but conscription does not exist. They choose to join the army and in making that choice, they know that there is a very good chance they will go to war. My ex was a Para who served in northern Ireland, Bosnia, Kosovo, he was amazing at his job but just because he had his wings, doesn't make him a hero!

Cyprus

"

Well said "

Don't mind me.... I've just done 7 months out there and lost 2 friends. Regardless of the politics of why we are there, the selfless acts of bravery and heroism (that the general public NEVER get to hear about) far out weight the blithe rings of the few who think it's ok to be disrespectful to our military.

I could tell you all about the Boys who volunteered to patrol a Taliban stronghold compound, knowing the Taliban would go all out to kill them, just so the local people could have a bazaar one Saturday so they could buy necessities for their children......but I won't bore you all.

Stephen Hawking is a hero to me..alot only think of the guy with the computer voice and wheelchair.Some will dismiss just as a maths geek.Some may say he's possibly going to bring about the doom of the planet, if people follow his work and accidentally or purposefully make a black hole that engulfs the earth.Some class Einstein as a hero, others will say he caused a great suffering to millions of people via Hiroshima.

Some of us have a more personal viewpoint on who is a hero and who isnt, its entirely reflective and subjective.

For me, I have the basic term of a hero..where its someone who acts on impulse just out of a care for a fellow human or animal.Sorry but it is in my opinion a different form of heroism from that was never based on any larger themed agenda.

perhaps theres a different in valiant acts..and heroic acts?

Cyprus

L xx

I certainly dont believe that all the military should be described as heroes. Yes, they are amazing at their jobs and deserve our gratitude and higher salaries but conscription does not exist. They choose to join the army and in making that choice, they know that there is a very good chance they will go to war. My ex was a Para who served in northern Ireland, Bosnia, Kosovo, he was amazing at his job but just because he had his wings, doesn't make him a hero!"

If he went willingly, so that others could be given the freedom that we enjoy...then your partner is a hero in MY eyes...

Not someone you would admire then given that you have on other threads made it clear that you are very much an 'every man for himself, sod everyone else type.

Incidentally, would you agree that by your definition of 'hero' a member of the Talibann who goes out under fire from the British Army , putting his own life in great danger to rescue wounded comrades, is a hero?

L xx

I certainly dont believe that all the military should be described as heroes. Yes, they are amazing at their jobs and deserve our gratitude and higher salaries but conscription does not exist. They choose to join the army and in making that choice, they know that there is a very good chance they will go to war. My ex was a Para who served in northern Ireland, Bosnia, Kosovo, he was amazing at his job but just because he had his wings, doesn't make him a hero!

If he went willingly, so that others could be given the freedom that we enjoy...then your partner is a hero in MY eyes..."

Try telling his 7 year old son that he abandoned at 2 days old and has never acknowledged since that his dad is a hero just because he wore a uniform and went to war!

My 10 year old nephew with cerebral palsy, who nearly chokes everytime he eats and drinks, who has had to have his legs broken and fixed again, who battles everyday of his life, now that to me is a hero!!

L xx

If he went willingly, so that others could be given the freedom that we enjoy...then your partner is a hero in MY eyes...

Try telling his 7 year old son that he abandoned at 2 days old and has never acknowledged since that his dad is a hero just because he wore a uniform and went to war!

My 10 year old nephew with cerebral palsy, who nearly chokes everytime he eats and drinks, who has had to have his legs broken and fixed again, who battles everyday of his life, now that to me is a hero!!"

Very valid points it just goes to show people see people in different lights. And time can turn many heroes into villains you only have to look at the Jimmy Saville situation to realise that.

"

Well said

Don't mind me.... I've just done 7 months out there and lost 2 friends. Regardless of the politics of why we are there, the selfless acts of bravery and heroism (that the general public NEVER get to hear about) far out weight the blithe rings of the few who think it's ok to be disrespectful to our military.

I could tell you all about the Boys who volunteered to patrol a Taliban stronghold compound, knowing the Taliban would go all out to kill them, just so the local people could have a bazaar one Saturday so they could buy necessities for their children......but I won't bore you all."

I went through Afghanistan in 79 on the so called Hippy Trail. I went to most areas including areas the British Army don't go to now, and I unlike the indoctrinated soldiers who go there I saw it through unblinkered eyes.

At least half of the British people (whatever the semi-literate people who read the right wing tabloids want to delude themselves to the contrary) oppose British involvement in Afghanistan. And unlike the Talibann fightes, who are fighting for a cause and don't get paid for what they do, British soldiers are essentially just paid workers. Furthermore, as they are prepared to kill and maim individuals who have never harmed them, so they must expect to be shot at by strangers and be killed or maimed; it is an occupational hazard.

"

Well said

I could tell you all about the Boys who volunteered to patrol a Taliban stronghold compound, knowing the Taliban would go all out to kill them, just so the local people could have a bazaar one Saturday so they could buy necessities for their children......but I won't bore you all.

I went through Afghanistan in 79 on the so called Hippy Trail. I went to most areas including areas the British Army don't go to now, and I unlike the indoctrinated soldiers who go there I saw it through unblinkered eyes.

At least half of the British people (whatever the semi-literate people who read the right wing tabloids want to delude themselves to the contrary) oppose British involvement in Afghanistan. And unlike the Talibann fightes, who are fighting for a cause and don't get paid for what they do, British soldiers are essentially just paid workers. Furthermore, as they are prepared to kill and maim individuals who have never harmed them, so they must expect to be shot at by strangers and be killed or maimed; it is an occupational hazard.

"

You seem to be trying very hard to disrupt this thread for what reason is only known to you. Take a chill pill calm down as it won't be doing your blood pressure any good.

"

Well said

You seem to be trying very hard to disrupt this thread for what reason is only known to you. Take a chill pill calm down as it won't be doing your blood pressure any good. "

Wow, how incredibly patronising. We are all entitled to our own opinions. Why should somebody be told to calm down because they have voiced theirs?

Sorry, but that's a cliche. Someone who's been forced by some public school gimp to go and fight illegal wars in some irrelevant country abroad, and in the process make this island MORE unsafe is not a hero. That's the truth - not jingoistic perhaps, but the thinking truth "

Absolutely. "Officered by the landed gentry and a specialised stratum of the middle classes and manned by farmworkers and slum proletarians " was how George Orwell put it. The ordinary soldiers come from the least well educated sections of society and can therefore be easily brainwashed and made into cannon fodder for wars .

Most of these wars are not fought to 'protect the people". The Koreans weren't threatening to attack Britain. The Malaysian Communists weren't threatening to attack Britain. The Arabs who fought to get back Aden which colonial Britain had forcibly taken from them weren't threatening to attack Britain. The Iraqis weren't and neither are the Talibann. the Talibann and al Qaida are two different things and most al Qaida operatives are Arabs not Afghans.

And in Britain it is the Police who protect the people from terrorism not the Army.

L xx

"

Well said

You seem to be trying very hard to disrupt this thread for what reason is only known to you. Take a chill pill calm down as it won't be doing your blood pressure any good.

Wow, how incredibly patronising. We are all entitled to our own opinions. Why should somebody be told to calm down because they have voiced theirs? "

Lol, the kind of person who goes through Afghanistan on the Hippy Trail in 1979 doesn't need lessons in 'chilling out" from anyone!

Bom Shankar.

[Removed by poster at 29/11/12 21:39:48]

"

Well said

Wow, how incredibly patronising. We are all entitled to our own opinions. Why should somebody be told to calm down because they have voiced theirs? "

As you say everyone is entitled to their own opinions but the forum rules say you deliberately or maliciously try to interrupt everyone else's enjoyment of the forums. I did smile though as your comments are a bit of an oxymoron.

"

Well said

Wow, how incredibly patronising. We are all entitled to our own opinions. Why should somebody be told to calm down because they have voiced theirs?

Lol, the kind of person who goes through Afghanistan on the Hippy Trail in 1979 doesn't need lessons in 'chilling out" from anyone!

Bom Shankar."

That's better breath deeply and calm down its better for the equilibrium.

"

Well said

As you say everyone is entitled to their own opinions but the forum rules say you deliberately or maliciously try to interrupt everyone else's enjoyment of the forums. I did smile though as your comments are a bit of an oxymoron. "

Who said they are deliberately being malicious? That is just your interpretation and opinion because you dont agree with their comment. There wouldn't be any enjoyment of the forums if we all simply agreed with one another. I dont agree at all with her comments about the British military but I wouldn't dream of telling her to calm down!

"

Well said

As you say everyone is entitled to their own opinions but the forum rules say you deliberately or maliciously try to interrupt everyone else's enjoyment of the forums. I did smile though as your comments are a bit of an oxymoron.

Who said they are deliberately being malicious? That is just your interpretation and opinion because you dont agree with their comment. There wouldn't be any enjoyment of the forums if we all simply agreed with one another. I dont agree at all with her comments about the British military but I wouldn't dream of telling her to calm down! "

But you are quite happy to tell someone they are patronising, sorry but I am laughing at that as it is a contradiction. Lets just say insulting the many troops who defend the country in the manner it has been done could be described as patronising but there you go.

Forum Mod

Oh my word its the same everytime a heros thread is on here with people disagreeing

Please agree to disagree,ignore each other or take it to pms

"Oh my word its the same everytime a heros thread is on here with people disagreeing

"

Want a chocolate? I have tins of Heroes or celebrations?

"

Well said

"

Feel free to go back on the hippy trail in Afghanistan, you obviously wont need the help of our forces out there

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

as said its all a bit subjective, usually based on ones own experience or through family members etc...

i dont actually think its joe or jayne bloggs on a tour in NI, Falklands or Afghan if i'm honest, cos at the end of the day for those of us who have 'taken the Queens shilling' thats what you joined for and it is your 'day job'..

yes within those theatres many normal people will do the most heroic things..

as will your Mr or Mrs 'average' in certain situations..

think its the same for all the examples quoted..

people who care for loved ones are pretty awesome and deserving of praise but is that heroism or duty?

folk living day to day with debilitating conditions are similar, are they heroic or is it human nature to live and thrive regardless of ones circumstances..?

i do know it is a very over used phrase...

Forum Mod

"Oh my word its the same everytime a heros thread is on here with people disagreeing

Want a chocolate? I have tins of Heroes or celebrations? "

My hero!

Want a chocolate? I have tins of Heroes or celebrations?

My hero! "

Twirl, Dairy Milk, Dairy Milk Whole Nut, Dairy Milk with Caramel, Time Out, Fudge, Dream, Picnic and Crunchie? I like the Fudge and Picnic personally.

"

Bom Shankar."

Interestingly, Kathmandu still has a road, Jochen Tole, nicknamed 'Freak Street' in memory of the many thousands of hippies who passed through, so I think it shows just how western drugged out hippies were viewed by the locals whose countries they floated through.

"

Well said

Who said they are deliberately being malicious? That is just your interpretation and opinion because you dont agree with their comment. There wouldn't be any enjoyment of the forums if we all simply agreed with one another. I dont agree at all with her comments about the British military but I wouldn't dream of telling her to calm down!

But you are quite happy to tell someone they are patronising, sorry but I am laughing at that as it is a contradiction. Lets just say insulting the many troops who defend the country in the manner it has been done could be described as patronising but there you go. "

just because you are a soldier in a war zone, you are not automatically a hero. If was to post just one of the stories my ex told me him and the rest of his platoon got up to whilst at war, I'm sure a lot of people would think differently about their heroics. They are doing a bloody difficult job but nobody forced them to do it. Just my opinion!

dirtybigbadsgirlville

The real definition of a hero is the guy who walked into Ryans fart and ate it!

By *ctavius StuntMan  over a year ago

london

heroes Tommie Smith, John Carlos and Peter Norman.

» Add a new message to this topic