FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Training Splits

Training Splits

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *oeBeans OP   Man  over a year ago

Derby

For those who frequent the gym how have your workouts evolved over time and what split are you currently using if any?

I started out with a 3 day full body workout, then the 5 day "bro-split", a 6 day push/pull/legs and just finished a 4 day upper/lower program.

Do you use any of these or do you just go with your own workout that works for you?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Do my own thing. Mostly I do callisthenics for strength with a rough split of one session more core based and another a couple of days later for chest and arms. I do squats to finish both sessions.

Between the strength sessions I'll do two lots of running, one short (6k) and at the end of the week a long run.

With the strength stuff I'm finding the rest periods pretty important, otherwise I just can't do some of the stuff.

After about a year of just messing around and not really knowing what I was going in the gym I started a 3 day 5x5 strength training programme. Once my lifts reached a respectable weight I moved to a bro split for a couple of years and now I’m currently doing a 6 day push/pull/legs.

I want to start running again so I might switch 2 a 3 day push/pull/legs and see how I get on.

"After about a year of just messing around and not really knowing what I was going in the gym I started a 3 day 5x5 strength training programme. Once my lifts reached a respectable weight I moved to a bro split for a couple of years and now I’m currently doing a 6 day push/pull/legs.

I want to start running again so I might switch 2 a 3 day push/pull/legs and see how I get on.

"

No idea why I wrote 2 a 3

I've only ever used the vending machine in the gym

"I've only ever used the vending machine in the gym "

But did you put maximum effort in to it?

When I first started years ago I just did full body or whatever I felt like (made it up)

I’ve done push, pull legs and the 5 day split

I fluctuate between both over periods of time. Currently doing the 5 day split.

Chest

Back

Legs

Shoulders

Biceps & Triceps

"I've only ever used the vending machine in the gym

But did you put maximum effort in to it? "

yes

Legs twice week, back and chest, arms and shoulders. And running

By *agicM53XMan  over a year ago

Croydon

ATM I do a 3 day full body routine...where I focus on strength (day 1)....power (day 2) ....muscle endurance (day 3)....and than in between these days I do my mma workouts. I stopped carrying about hypertrophy and definition a long time ago. The way my body looks is just the byproduct...and I think I look better than when I was working out like a bodybuilder/fitness model/gym rat

Currently on a 4 day split. 2 days upper, 2 days lower.

I'll be coming to the end of it soon and switching to a push/pull/leg/arm split.

Probably go into a 3 day full body split in the new year with cardio 2 days.

0 splits at all

Fully body work out 6 days a week

Starting with

Standing behind the neck military press 4 sets off 8

Then wighted pull ups 6 sets off 8

4 sets off 8 bend over barbell rows they work wonders

Bench press 4 sets off 8

5 minutes brake

Side bends with a dumbbell on each side 16 reps witch is 8 reps a side

4 sets

Then drop set sit ups in sets off 100 from 20kg only stopping to drop off 5kg per set or pick up 5kg depending

Ie 100 at 20kg with 2 10kg plates could do it with 1 20kg plate but just make’s set up 15kg harder

Stop slide 10kg off switch it for 10kg and a 5kg plate and go again 100

Then drop 5kg off do 100 with 10kg then drop 10kg off do 100 with 5 then drop the 5 off and last 100 with nothing 500 sit ups

Then I alternate bween deads and squats

Ie one day it’s deads the next it’s barbell squats

Currently do push/pull/legs with the main compound of each being 4x4. Working so far.

By *oeBeans OP   Man  over a year ago

Derby

"Do my own thing. Mostly I do callisthenics for strength with a rough split of one session more core based and another a couple of days later for chest and arms. I do squats to finish both sessions.

Between the strength sessions I'll do two lots of running, one short (6k) and at the end of the week a long run.

With the strength stuff I'm finding the rest periods pretty important, otherwise I just can't do some of the stuff.

"

Thanks for resurrecting this

Rest periods are something I've learned to be better at recently. I used to do a minute across the board but started trying to get better at it. My workouts are slightly longer but definitely push myself more

By *ou only live onceMan  over a year ago

London

I'm on a 4-day split: push, pull, push, pull.

Squats/quads on push days, and deadlifts/hammies on the pulls. Two heavier, low rep days and two higher volume, lower weight accessory days.

Have been doing a bit of Olympic Weightlifting too to learn some new skills, which has been fun, but does mean I'm doing less of the basic stuff I used to do.

Football on a 5th day but I know I should probably find time for more cardio...

By (user no longer on site) 50 weeks ago

"ATM I do a 3 day full body routine...where I focus on strength (day 1)....power (day 2) ....muscle endurance (day 3)....and than in between these days I do my mma workouts. I stopped carrying about hypertrophy and definition a long time ago. The way my body looks is just the byproduct...and I think I look better than when I was working out like a bodybuilder/fitness model/gym rat"

Hey I know I'm resurrecting he thread but what did that split happen to look like?. Similar exercises but different reps? Interested in doing this and boxing or running on the alternate days.

By *BootyfulDayWoman 49 weeks ago

Aw just saw this thread and thought you meant you were actually training to do the splits OP

By *avexxMan 49 weeks ago

cheshire

"Aw just saw this thread and thought you meant you were actually training to do the splits OP "
,,me too

By (user no longer on site) 49 weeks ago

"Aw just saw this thread and thought you meant you were actually training to do the splits OP ,,me too"

Makes 3

By *oeBeans OP   Man 49 weeks ago

Derby

"Aw just saw this thread and thought you meant you were actually training to do the splits OP "

I don't stretch that way

By *ulieAndBeefCouple 49 weeks ago

Manchester-ish

"Aw just saw this thread and thought you meant you were actually training to do the splits OP

I don't stretch that way "

"After about a year of just messing around and not really knowing what I was going in the gym I started a 3 day 5x5 strength training programme. Once my lifts reached a respectable weight I moved to a bro split for a couple of years and now I’m currently doing a 6 day push/pull/legs.

"

Still doing this and have been making massive progress recently. I never did start running again

By *929Man 49 weeks ago

newcastle

All time favourite training split is

Chest and back

Legs

Shoulders and back

Arms

I like splitting back up over 2 days as as takes a lot of movements to hit it thoroughly and let’s you be more fresh hitting 3-4 a workout instead of 6-8 in a single session. When training this way I like to do an exercise for each of the 2 parts alternating back and forth eg chest and back will be bench press, barbell row, incline bench, dumbbell row ect

Current split is

Chest focused push

Legs

Back and biceps

Shoulder focus push

Deadlift +upper back and some legs thrown in

Going back to favourite split soon though

By *avexxMan 49 weeks ago

cheshire

i just do my own workout bit of bench pressing only light trying to keep tits solid,, and a fair bit of walking

By *espacito56Man 49 weeks ago

West Mainland, Orkney

Bought myself a rowing machine a couple of months ago.

Still haven't unboxed and assembled it...

By *4bimMan 49 weeks ago

Farnborough Hampshire

currently back in the gym as ive got a sponsor and motorbike for the record attempt on the nordschleife this year.

mostly forearms, shoulders, legs and running.

i need to be exiting galgenkopt at around 177kph and be over 354kph on the dottinger hohe and antoniusbuche if im to beat it.

this will be my 5th and final attempt.

Derby

"All time favourite training split is

Chest and back

Legs

Shoulders and back

Arms

I like splitting back up over 2 days as as takes a lot of movements to hit it thoroughly and let’s you be more fresh hitting 3-4 a workout instead of 6-8 in a single session. When training this way I like to do an exercise for each of the 2 parts alternating back and forth eg chest and back will be bench press, barbell row, incline bench, dumbbell row ect

Current split is

Chest focused push

Legs

Back and biceps

Shoulder focus push

Going back to favourite split soon though "

That's really interesting, you you find it tough to progress if you're only training certain body parts once a week?

By *aucasian GhandiMan 49 weeks ago

from my dad's left nut (Warwick)

I go with the 7 day vending machine routine

My split is a rotation

Chest

Back part 1

Quads

Shoulders

Back part 2

Hamstrings

Arms and abs

Glutes

Derby

"My split is a rotation

Chest

Back part 1

Quads

Shoulders

Back part 2

Hamstrings

Arms and abs

Glutes "

Wow, your body is insane! I mean...

Is that split over 2 weeks?

By *BootyfulDayWoman 49 weeks ago

"Aw just saw this thread and thought you meant you were actually training to do the splits OP

I don't stretch that way "

Hahaha that can be your next gym challenge, flexibility

Anyway, sorry to derail your thread

My gym sessions have all but stopped, never really had a plan as such when I went but did try and do different sections but maybe I need to actually sit down and plan out sessions and get a routine/training plan in place.

By *929Man 49 weeks ago

newcastle

Chest and back

Legs

Shoulders and back

Arms

Current split is

Chest focused push

Legs

Back and biceps

Shoulder focus push

That's really interesting, you you find it tough to progress if you're only training certain body parts once a week?"

Only really on back mate I find if do more than 3-4 back movements in one session the rest become so light that aren’t really doing much would rather train back twice a week and do 3 movements each time thsn one session with 6-8. This way can also do a heavy riding movement as first excercise day and a heavy chin/pulldown movement on day 2 and hit both when fresh and at peak strength.

Derby

I don't stretch that way

Hahaha that can be your next gym challenge, flexibility

Anyway, sorry to derail your thread

My gym sessions have all but stopped, never really had a plan as such when I went but did try and do different sections but maybe I need to actually sit down and plan out sessions and get a routine/training plan in place. "

Oh don't worry about it, it would be a very interesting challenge

A routine is always great to have because when you manage to move up in weights, that visible progression is a great motivator!

Derby

Chest and back

Legs

Shoulders and back

Arms

Current split is

Chest focused push

Legs

Back and biceps

Shoulder focus push

That's really interesting, you you find it tough to progress if you're only training certain body parts once a week?

Only really on back mate I find if do more than 3-4 back movements in one session the rest become so light that aren’t really doing much would rather train back twice a week and do 3 movements each time thsn one session with 6-8. This way can also do a heavy riding movement as first excercise day and a heavy chin/pulldown movement on day 2 and hit both when fresh and at peak strength. "

That's fair enough and definitely makes sense. I need to try and find a new split as I'm currently doing full body 3x a week to tide me over until I can figure something out.

Manchester-ish

Have you looked at super sets Joe? They can help keep things interesting.

J

By *hagTonightMan 49 weeks ago

From the land of haribos.

[Removed by poster at 29/05/23 22:14:20]

Yes, mine have changed and I have also tried most of them when I started working out, like the bro split, 4 day split, but also at the same time. I learned more about the importance of the protein synthesis of 96hrs, like less is more, since then I have been training 3 times a week doing a full body workout and I still do that

I quite liked the banana splits

Derby

"Have you looked at super sets Joe? They can help keep things interesting.

J"

That's a good shout! I'll have a look at my routine and see what can be split into supersets to get more out of it

Derby

"Yes, mine have changed and I have also tried most of them when I started working out, like the bro split, 4 day split, but also at the same time. I learned more about the importance of the protein synthesis of 96hrs, like less is more, since then I have been training 3 times a week doing a full body workout and I still do that "

That's really interesting and something I might read up on. Did you find you would hit a plateau at all when you switched from a 4 or 5 day split to just 3?

Manchester-ish

Everyone on this thread knows Dan John right? If not, go google and learn

J

By *oystick-MCRMan 49 weeks ago

Manchester | London

"Everyone on this thread knows Dan John right? If not, go google and learn

J"

Is it mandatory?

Manchester-ish

J

Is it mandatory?"

Well no. But he knows stuff that is good to know if you take your training seriously. So actually yes.

J

By *rispyDuckMan 49 weeks ago

Chinese Takeaway near you

Train 2 days on 1 day of religious.

Since mid May have turned it to 3days on 1 day off as I introduce cardio to trim down my winter reserves . Was 94.7kg when started plan to get down to 89kg by my Birthday in August . Slow and steady not crush dieting (which is hard to maintain)

"Yes, mine have changed and I have also tried most of them when I started working out, like the bro split, 4 day split, but also at the same time. I learned more about the importance of the protein synthesis of 96hrs, like less is more, since then I have been training 3 times a week doing a full body workout and I still do that

That's really interesting and something I might read up on. Did you find you would hit a plateau at all when you switched from a 4 or 5 day split to just 3?"

It felt like I would hit a plateau and also feeling over trained with 4 and 5 days, so yes, 3 days is perfect for me, the protein synthesis is an interesting read as well

By *AFKA HovisMan 49 weeks ago

Sindon Swingdon Swindon

I'm following a push, pull, leg routine.

But in playing more with what fits in this.

Currently doing slower reps with focus on getting a good stretch. And finishing with a few lighter reps.

Also each week I will try and do more mobility work rather than always being in the same planes.

By *arkAlphaMan 49 weeks ago

london

[Removed by poster at 31/05/23 13:44:19]

By *arkAlphaMan 49 weeks ago

london

"My split is a rotation

Chest Back part 1 Quads Shoulders Back part Hamstrings Arms and abs Glutes "

:

It’s definitely paying off. But what an amazing routine.

By *inister_SpinsterWoman 49 weeks ago

North West

J"

He's awesome.

I highly recommend his book - never let go.

I toy with doing his 10,000 rep (in a month) kettlebell challenge, then I chicken out.

Manchester-ish

J

He's awesome.

I toy with doing his 10,000 rep (in a month) kettlebell challenge, then I chicken out. "

I've read that too! Great book

J

By *inister_SpinsterWoman 49 weeks ago

North West

J

He's awesome.

I toy with doing his 10,000 rep (in a month) kettlebell challenge, then I chicken out.

I've read that too! Great book

J"

Have you read Tough by Greg Everett ?

» Add a new message to this topic