FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Prejudices

Prejudices

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ackformore100 OP   Man  over a year ago

Tin town

Off the back of another thread and not planning to make it a sequel if possible. But got me thinking.. We say and think that we are open minded... What prejudices are you aware of and the tough bit... For you own prejudices, from where do they originate?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I’m currently unaware of prejudices that I have but I’m off course open to being told when I display behaviour that is prejudiced or offends a member of a marginalised group. I try and unlearn prejudices that I have had in the past and any that are made aware to me.

Ones I’ve had have often come from family, traditional Caribbean views and Faith because I was raised a Christian and went ti a faith school. And then I started doing sociology and it’s been all snowflake from there

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

A lot of mine were learnt from the environment I was brought up in. So family and the general area so in general poor and deprived.

I have one that is as a consequence of several incidences with a certain demographic. But I recognise it and I'm trying to work on it.

Think many of us have prejudices. It's just we don't necessarily see them as prejudices, as they are a normal part of life and maybe haven't had to question them.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

The obvious would be to say my background, my childhood, my life experiences and that would be true.

Given that I believe we all have the capacity to change and grow I'd go a step further than above and say it's lacking critical thinking that keeps some firmly entrenched in their biases and assumptions.

There will be someone , somewhere on this thread that says they are not prejudiced in any way and never judge others........ when they do..... just KNOW you are looking at someone who is in denial or in ignorance of the subconscious.

The best we can do it make huge efforts to question our own beliefs and try to overcome whatever biases arise.

I'm off to think about any prejudices I may have shown today and yesterday.

Tin town

"I’m currently unaware of prejudices that I have but I’m off course open to being told when I display behaviour that is prejudiced or offends a member of a marginalised group. I try and unlearn prejudices that I have had in the past and any that are made aware to me.

Ones I’ve had have often come from family, traditional Caribbean views and Faith because I was raised a Christian and went ti a faith school. And then I started doing sociology and it’s been all snowflake from there "

Haha last bit made me chuckle. I hate people holding a mirror up to me, and it takes a really long time and perseverance, but eventually I get there and realise I'm not perfect. Some threads are good on here at challenging ones thoughts. If nothing else it's shown me there are not many areas which are simply black and white...oh and also how throw away comments.. Are very rarely thrown away.

Prejudice means pre judgement and I absolutely do that based on the behavioural and language signals people give out. Always open to be proved wrong but generally people are quite predictable and life is too short to risk lots of it on those you have serious doubts about.

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman  over a year ago

King's Crustacean

"Prejudice means pre judgement and I absolutely do that based on the behavioural and language signals people give out. Always open to be proved wrong but generally people are quite predictable and life is too short to risk lots of it on those you have serious doubts about."

I agree Leo. Which is why I hold that those who say they never judge overlook that it's a life skill we all need to survive/choose our tribe so to speak. BUT...... there is the unnecessary bias which creeps in for some that they don't question ...... Should we call it negative prejudice ??? There's a need to understand both types and more.

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

Prejudice against any demographic/ minority group ... Never

Prejudice against people that accuse me of it ... Absofuckinlutely

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I know I'm prejudiced towards anyone with an addiction. This is down to a brief marriage to a gambling addict and having alcoholics in our family.

I try to avoid too much interaction with people like this because I know I will have trouble seeing past the addiction.

Now we move on to mental ill health. Having been subject to the vagaries of my mother's mental health issues when I was growing up and in a lesser way as an adult. Despite trying to understand and move past it I know I can't be helpful towards someone suffering in this way. For that reason I will avoid becoming too involved because I'm judging based on my own experiences.

Also entirely irrationally, anyone who loads the pockets of tight trousers or cargo pants.

I think I've held prejudice against certain races of men. I found myself always swiping left and that's when I realised. Several years ago. Had to really examine why I felt that way and there were a couple of experiences that had contributed which I'd buried. I felt intimidated because of those experiences. I kept on challenging myself and trying to unpick how I got there. Because I didn't want to feel like that, didn't want to be that person.

I'm not that person now.

By *teve_it_aloneMan  over a year ago

Dunfermline

"Prejudice against any demographic/ minority group ... Never

Prejudice against people that accuse me of it ... Absofuckinlutely "

I’d like to think I didn’t have any prejudices, but I know I will, and I know I’m unlikely to be actively aware of them.

If someone wants to explain why something I’ve said/done might be based in prejudice, then that’s an opportunity for me to correct and improve. I might disagree with their assessment, but if I’m not open to challenging and testing my assumptions and decisions, then that’s pretty much prejudice defined!

By *ea monkeyMan  over a year ago

Manchester (he/him)

I think that it’s important to try and be aware of personal bias and prejudices that we may have, no one is without them and some systemic or cultural biases exist within blind spots that most have. The only way to change that is awareness and recognition.

I think that many people ignore them though, they believe that they’re good people and so can’t be ‘ist’ in any aspect. They get defensive when questioned or have them challenged, which perpetuates the issue

Dunfermline

"I think that it’s important to try and be aware of personal bias and prejudices that we may have, no one is without them and some systemic or cultural biases exist within blind spots that most have. The only way to change that is awareness and recognition.

I think that many people ignore them though, they believe that they’re good people and so can’t be ‘ist’ in any aspect. They get defensive when questioned or have them challenged, which perpetuates the issue"

this.

I think the issue hasn’t always been handled well. Sometimes well-intentioned challenge of un-known (can’t use the ‘sleepy’ word in forum) or unintentional bias is taken by the receiver as an accusation of active racism (for example).

Am I actively racist? Absolutely not. Are my assumptions, decisions, instincts and responses influenced by the fact that there were no black kids at my school as I was growing up? For sure. And I need to actively challenge myself to make sure those assumptions, decisions, etc. don’t cause unintended harm.

Tin town

Thanks every body for some really significant shares...when I kicked this off I was kind of thinking a little less significant but none the less still prejudices... White stilettos, BMW drivers, football fans,... But we've gone right in at the deep end.

So exploring a little further... Are they by definition irrational and we try to rationalise or justify them? And... Does anybody think, that somebody external telling them not to be (whatever prejudice) they may have, makes any difference or does any remedy have to come from within?

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Thanks every body for some really significant shares...when I kicked this off I was kind of thinking a little less significant but none the less still prejudices... White stilettos, BMW drivers, football fans,... But we've gone right in at the deep end.

So exploring a little further... Are they by definition irrational and we try to rationalise or justify them? And... Does anybody think, that somebody external telling them not to be (whatever prejudice) they may have, makes any difference or does any remedy have to come from within? "

The only irrational prejudice I have is against stuffed pockets. There's an entirely rational reason for the prejudices I mentioned, in my opinion anyway

I have too many prejudices to list. I tick all the 'ist boxes.

By *atnip make me purrWoman  over a year ago

Reading

Colour of skin is unimportant to me but there is a cultural divide at times. I try hard to let each man prove himself.

By *orny PTMan  over a year ago

Peterborough

You want to live in St Helens and have Scouse family and parents. It wasn't a lot of fun.

"Prejudice means pre judgement and I absolutely do that based on the behavioural and language signals people give out. Always open to be proved wrong but generally people are quite predictable and life is too short to risk lots of it on those you have serious doubts about.

I agree Leo. Which is why I hold that those who say they never judge overlook that it's a life skill we all need to survive/choose our tribe so to speak. BUT...... there is the unnecessary bias which creeps in for some that they don't question ...... Should we call it negative prejudice ??? There's a need to understand both types and more. "

Yes, I think there are positive and negative prejudices, the former based on experience and used for self survival/protection, the latter used against someone else. Also of course conscious and un conscious ones. I think we're stuck with the un conscious ones but we can notice patterns which we could address with our conscious decisions.

By *oly Fuck Sticks BatmanCouple  over a year ago

here & there

I had to do an (word not allowed) asleep bias course at work and was amazed how prejudiced I was against people - not for their colour/gender/sexuality, just them as people.

It was quite uncomfortable at times, but it certainly opened my thought process to how to treat people equally & not instantly judge.

There is of course a virtue paradox when it comes to prejudice.

By *rumpyMcFuckNuggetMan  over a year ago

Den of Iniquity

I’d like to think I didn’t have any prejudices, but I know I will, and I know I’m unlikely to be actively aware of them.

If someone wants to explain why something I’ve said/done might be based in prejudice, then that’s an opportunity for me to correct and improve. I might disagree with their assessment, but if I’m not open to challenging and testing my assumptions and decisions, then that’s pretty much prejudice defined! "

Sometimes you aren't given the opportunity to maybe

As a Devon boy I’m yet to be proved wrong about London Second homers being utter toss rags.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

When I go to view a stranger's profile and find they've blocked me, I'm never sure if they've blocked all Trans, or they just think I'm a knobhead.

Dunfermline

If someone wants to explain why something I’ve said/done might be based in prejudice, then that’s an opportunity for me to correct and improve. I might disagree with their assessment, but if I’m not open to challenging and testing my assumptions and decisions, then that’s pretty much prejudice defined!

Sometimes you aren't given the opportunity to maybe "

Very fair point. I know I have a tendency to pounce on things and challenge them - often not with the nuance and care that’s required.

Also important to not beat ourselves up and recognise that our “lizard” brains are primed to use these biases to help our monkey bodies stay alive.

In early evolution of our species, someone that didn’t look like you was likely to be a threat - your body getting into fight/fright/freeze mode could save your life/family/etc.

Skip forward to today and when people are using these same lizard brain instincts to decide who to hire, or for cops which car to pull over…. then we have a problem.

The reason it’s so damaging is because the people with the problem are (by its very nature) usually unaware of there being a problem.

Similar lizard brain mechanisms cause reflexive defensiveness when challenged on it.

» Add a new message to this topic