FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Because... aliens

Because... aliens

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *naswingdress OP   Woman  over a year ago

Manchester (she/her)

Mysteries of the past. How were the pyramids built?

What do you think is unexplained, and what are your pet theories as to the answer?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *agerMorganMan  over a year ago

Canvey Island

Stonehenge.

Why did they spend time dragging stones to make a circle for hippies thousands of years later to violate with a lack of deodorant!?

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I find these things fascinating. I just wish there wasn't always a mundane explanation

By *aimeDWoman  over a year ago

Shaftesbury, Dorset

They had whips, Rimmer. Massive, massive whips

Manchester (she/her)

"I find these things fascinating. I just wish there wasn't always a mundane explanation "

I find the mundane interesting in its own way.

Herodotus, infamously, talks about the mystical exotic land of India. Apparently they went to hunt for gold, guarded by ferocious gold digging ants the size of dogs. To save themselves, they only took female camels who had recently given birth, which were more motivated to run faster and get back to their babies.

Like, obviously nothing like this exists and wtf go home Herodotus you're d*unk (which is funny, given they only drank diluted alcohol). But... Apparently it might be a mistranslation that got carried between merchants, and a word along the way between India and Halicarnassus meaning "wolf" sounds just like one meaning "ant".

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

A hole in space time its actually from 700000 years in the future

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

I always wonder why all the dinosaurs died out due to an apparent meteor strike?

I mean yes, obviously those in reasonable proximity to it would have snuffed it, but if it hit, say London, why didn't all the Aussie dinos survive and live long happy lives?

Or why is it that whenever anyone sees the loch ness monster, bigfoot, or a UFO the photos or video footage look like they were taken using a potato with a pringles tube attached as a lens? Phones have had great cameras for years yet there's never any decent evidence.

Or why the Bermuda triangle has suddenly stopped causing ships and planes to disappear......

A

By *eroLondonMan  over a year ago

Fitzrovia

I'm still very much intrigued about The Mary Celeste.

I would like to know more about the (verified) assault by a giant octopus with phallus-like tentacles. The ship's deck - made from real wood - was stained with the residue of squid ink.

It's fascinating stuff, Swing.

By *ools and the brainCouple  over a year ago

couple, us we him her.

The Meteor strike caused a massive dust cloud that enveloped the entire planet, blocking out the sun and heat causing the ice age.

Those that didn't die in the immediate aftermath of the strike died slowly due to lack of food and heat.

Evolution took over and creatures got smaller and hairy able to survive colder temperatures and consume smaller amounts of food.

Nothing to do with aliens.

"I always wonder why all the dinosaurs died out due to an apparent meteor strike?

I mean yes, obviously those in reasonable proximity to it would have snuffed it, but if it hit, say London, why didn't all the Aussie dinos survive and live long happy lives?

Or why is it that whenever anyone sees the loch ness monster, bigfoot, or a UFO the photos or video footage look like they were taken using a potato with a pringles tube attached as a lens? Phones have had great cameras for years yet there's never any decent evidence.

Or why the Bermuda triangle has suddenly stopped causing ships and planes to disappear......

A"

bermuda is simple speedos

By *rtyIanMan  over a year ago

Gateway to the Beacons

forget the pyramids the Mayan temples of central America are far more complex

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS  over a year ago

Chichester

I think it was all Donald Trump in the past , rumour has it he is a time lord

Fitzrovia

Pharaoh 'nuff. ^

Manchester (she/her)

"I think it was all Donald Trump in the past , rumour has it he is a time lord "

This just in, archaeological digs have located Cheeto dust carbon dated to thousands of years old. And a new hieroglyph has been translated as yuge, bigly

By *ansexualPandaMan  over a year ago

Beds - all sorts of beds ;-)

I'm still amazed at how a kid at school used to remove the top part of his thumb and slide it along his finger. All these years later I'm sure he had magical powers.

By *oeBeansMan  over a year ago

Derby

How drinking coffee actually started. Who's bright idea was to take the seeds of a fruit, roast it, mash it to pieces, mix it in hot water, strain it, and drink it?

By *nightsoftheCoffeeTableCouple  over a year ago

Leeds

You’ll never know the ins and outs, but yeah I definitely believe humility has had a helping handing along the way. To many coincidence’s to be a coincidence. The aborigines are the oldest tribe on this planet and they say they come from the sky just like their gods that made them and taught them everything they know.

The mr

"Pharaoh 'nuff. ^"

He's in de Nile ^

"Stonehenge.

Why did they spend time dragging stones to make a circle for hippies thousands of years later to violate with a lack of deodorant!?

"

It's a pain in the arse for the National trust when the clocks go forward and go back, having to move all the stones round by an hour

By *inky_couple2020Couple  over a year ago

North West

"How drinking coffee actually started. Who's bright idea was to take the seeds of a fruit, roast it, mash it to pieces, mix it in hot water, strain it, and drink it?"

Ditto frankly most foodstuffs and drinks (bar water)

By *emorefridaCouple  over a year ago

La la land

Standing stones, you can find them all over the British isles if you go looking for them. It's not all about Stonehenge. Why the heck? And how did someone or a religion get so powerful when the population was so small and sparse.

"How drinking coffee actually started. Who's bright idea was to take the seeds of a fruit, roast it, mash it to pieces, mix it in hot water, strain it, and drink it?"

All those centuries of experimentation and innovation and we end up with Starbucks drowning it in sugary milk and selling it for £8.50 as a MochiatolatteGrande.

Even worse, who thought the coffee made from beans recovered from wildcat droppings was a good idea?

By *eviants In DefianceCouple  over a year ago

Maidstone

Even worse KOPI LUWAK coffee

North West

"Standing stones, you can find them all over the British isles if you go looking for them. It's not all about Stonehenge. Why the heck? And how did someone or a religion get so powerful when the population was so small and sparse. "

Word of mouth, traders etc. Innit?!

"Standing stones, you can find them all over the British isles if you go looking for them. It's not all about Stonehenge. Why the heck? And how did someone or a religion get so powerful when the population was so small and sparse. "

In some circles the individual stones are miles apart.

La la land

"Standing stones, you can find them all over the British isles if you go looking for them. It's not all about Stonehenge. Why the heck? And how did someone or a religion get so powerful when the population was so small and sparse.

Word of mouth, traders etc. Innit?! "

Their ideas of going from A to B is definitely different to mine

Derby

"How drinking coffee actually started. Who's bright idea was to take the seeds of a fruit, roast it, mash it to pieces, mix it in hot water, strain it, and drink it?

Ditto frankly most foodstuffs and drinks (bar water) "

I suppose with seasonings, it may have been a case of just trying everything and seeing what works

La la land

"Standing stones, you can find them all over the British isles if you go looking for them. It's not all about Stonehenge. Why the heck? And how did someone or a religion get so powerful when the population was so small and sparse.

In some circles the individual stones are miles apart."

I know and how did they manage that? Because Britain would have been heavily forested back then.

Derby

"How drinking coffee actually started. Who's bright idea was to take the seeds of a fruit, roast it, mash it to pieces, mix it in hot water, strain it, and drink it?

All those centuries of experimentation and innovation and we end up with Starbucks drowning it in sugary milk and selling it for £8.50 as a MochiatolatteGrande. "

I know right! All that hard work just for people to only like it because there's a bit of pumpkin flavouring in it. #YouKnowWhoYouAre

North West

Their ideas of going from A to B is definitely different to mine "

There was intercontinental trade happening way earlier than we really imagine, so I'd imagine that religion and such stuff spread around like that.

Manchester (she/her)

I think things with pharmaceutical properties (caffeine definitely counts as a drug!), people are more likely to make a bigger effort. But it's so ancient that the process seems extremely difficult

Particularly when cascara (tea from the coffee berry) also exists.

Derby

Even worse, who thought the coffee made from beans recovered from wildcat droppings was a good idea?"

The farmers probably didn't like the civets eating into their profits

Manchester (she/her)

There was intercontinental trade happening way earlier than we really imagine, so I'd imagine that religion and such stuff spread around like that. "

That, and also I think - to some extent commonality of thought.

To ancients who didn't know anything about science - giant orb in the sky associated with safety, warmth, crop growth - a supernatural entity that requires observation and worship? It's not a huge leap.

La la land

There was intercontinental trade happening way earlier than we really imagine, so I'd imagine that religion and such stuff spread around like that. "

Yeah definitely it's more that they found enough man power back then to do all of it in one place. It's not like the pyramids where they had (not allowed to use the word) to do it.

Manchester (she/her)

There was intercontinental trade happening way earlier than we really imagine, so I'd imagine that religion and such stuff spread around like that.

Yeah definitely it's more that they found enough man power back then to do all of it in one place. It's not like the pyramids where they had (not allowed to use the word) to do it. "

Unfree labour

I blame anal extravaganzas

La la land

To ancients who didn't know anything about science - giant orb in the sky associated with safety, warmth, crop growth - a supernatural entity that requires observation and worship? It's not a huge leap."

That's true and some do align to the sun etc. But many of the stones don't align with anything in the sky. It's totally lost to us now. And to me that makes them more fascinating.

La la land

Yeah definitely it's more that they found enough man power back then to do all of it in one place. It's not like the pyramids where they had (not allowed to use the word) to do it.

Unfree labour "

Thanks swing I couldn't think of an alternative

Manchester (she/her)

I wonder to what extent religious thinking is innate in people. Things happen we can't explain - magic/gods.

It's a narrative that creates explanatory power for that which we can't understand. It's in our nature to anthropomorphise.

To me it's sort of proto proto science. Bad things happen because we deserve it (unsophisticated, maybe juvenile thought). Lightning is bad and something we can't explain. Leaders and powerful figures cause bad things to happen as punishment. Therefore the gods use lightning to punish wrongdoing. (But why, says Plato, does Zeus strike his temples just as much as he strikes perjurers?)

Manchester (she/her)

To ancients who didn't know anything about science - giant orb in the sky associated with safety, warmth, crop growth - a supernatural entity that requires observation and worship? It's not a huge leap.

That's true and some do align to the sun etc. But many of the stones don't align with anything in the sky. It's totally lost to us now. And to me that makes them more fascinating. "

Absolutely. Obviously we don't know the rationale, but that's the hypothesis I'd begin with. Natural phenomena and stories imposed upon them.

I wonder to what extent religious thinking is innate in people. Things happen we can't explain - magic/gods.

It's a narrative that creates explanatory power for that which we can't understand. It's in our nature to anthropomorphise.

To me it's sort of proto proto science. Bad things happen because we deserve it (unsophisticated, maybe juvenile thought). Lightning is bad and something we can't explain. Leaders and powerful figures cause bad things to happen as punishment. Therefore the gods use lightning to punish wrongdoing. (But why, says Plato, does Zeus strike his temples just as much as he strikes perjurers?)"

There is a theory, not entirely incredible, that religious ideas began with the ingestion of natural hallucinogens and subsequent visions. Once that seed of another world was planted it's easy to see it's appeal as an explanatory narrative.

La la land

To me it's sort of proto proto science. Bad things happen because we deserve it (unsophisticated, maybe juvenile thought). Lightning is bad and something we can't explain. Leaders and powerful figures cause bad things to happen as punishment. Therefore the gods use lightning to punish wrongdoing. (But why, says Plato, does Zeus strike his temples just as much as he strikes perjurers?)"

I think wanting to find explanation to things is a very human thing. As well as finding comfort from it. And when you look at Celtic deities you find them cropping up of over the world. For example river goddesses, find them from Britain to India.

What I kind of find fascinating is the change from trying to understand our environment. And god's and goddess's that explain those phenomenon to the Abrahamic religions. That's a massive shift in mindset and less instinctive to my mind.

By *enusandmarsCouple  over a year ago

Buryish

I dont think it's unrealistic to assume we came from the skies. Personally I like the ending of Battlestar Galactica to explain it all away

Fitzrovia

"I dont think it's unrealistic to assume we came from the skies. Personally I like the ending of Battlestar Galactica to explain it all away"

°

I loved the ending of Battlestar Galactica but I'm still nonplussed about Starbuck. Was she a corporeal spirit, a 'God' or a 'machine'...?

By *escourtesMan  over a year ago

hereford

Good chance the Loch Ness monster existed several thousand years ago when the loch was connected to the sea. Would be interesting to be able to dig down into or scan the thick layer of silt/sludge on the bottom of the loch to see if any skeleton remains exist....

Fitzrovia

"Good chance the Loch Ness monster existed several thousand years ago when the loch was connected to the sea. Would be interesting to be able to dig down into or scan the thick layer of silt/sludge on the bottom of the loch to see if any skeleton remains exist...."

It's a Plesiosaur.

"I always wonder why all the dinosaurs died out due to an apparent meteor strike?

A"

It's been bunged up with plastic (the triangle)

A

It's been bunged up with plastic (the triangle) "

Because Dairylea bought the rights to the shape...and boats in cheese is less appealing than chives

[Removed by poster at 29/11/22 19:00:40]

I'm becoming more and more convinced that my people (aliens) have abandoned me here

» Add a new message to this topic