FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Rent

Rent

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *xhib12 OP   Man  over a year ago

Blyth

Have people's rents gone up much over the last few years.

We've rented out a couple of houses for about the last 6 or 7 years and have never increased the rents. We did think of putting them up a while back but covid hit and a lot of people were struggling so we didn't think it was right and we'd wait until covid had gone and people were more secure in their jobs. Actually our tenants worked through the lockdowns but we still didn't increase their rents.

Now covid has more or less gone, or at least doesn't really affect people working due to no lockdowns, people are being hit from all sides with rising prices so we still don't want to burden them with higher rents.

I just read a post where someone was saying their rent had increased by £300 per month so wondered how many more had been hit with increases.

I understand many landlords will have mortgages which will have increased so at least some of that may need to be passed on but £300 a month seems excessive.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Our kids both rent and have seen medium increases to already exorbitant (in my opinion) rents

By *NL Social SpurschickWoman  over a year ago

Social Zone

I’ve been lucky with a good landlord, who is not looking to change tenants every year and cash in. I moved in 2016 and not long signed for another three years. In the 9 years I’ll be here my rent has increased by a total £160 a month from what I paid at the start until I leave.

Some others renters I know have significantly seen their monthly amounts jumped in that time and more recently.

By *inchyorksMan  over a year ago

huddersfield

I suppose it depends if you value profit or peoples ability to live without worry of how they will pay the bills.

Have your costs gone up? I don't think it is unreasonable to cover any increase you have occurred.

Also if you put up the rent will you end up with vacant properties and no rent coming in at all.

By *ellinever70Woman  over a year ago

Ayrshire

The scottish parliament passed temporary legislation to offer protection to tenants

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

Good tenants are worth their weight in gold.

Better to charge less to a good, long staying and responsible tenant that you know well than put rents up and risk them moving and you ending up with a bad one, especially if you've seen no personal increase in expenses such as a mortgage.

A

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

We never, ever argue, we never calculate

The currency we've spent

By *enusandmarsCouple  over a year ago

Buryish

I'm self employed and haven't particularly put my prices up since 2013. First time I thought i should was just before the Brexit referendum, thought it best yo wait and see how that panned out. Then it dragged on and on with doomsday scenarios predicted. Finally thought fuck brexit then covid started, then fuel prices, then war, then cost of living ...

I think really all prices should see a steady, fair, incremental rise, but that's not how it seems to happen

By *elisandre300Woman  over a year ago

dontbefuckingnosey

I’ve been really lucky with my landlord.

They were after long term tenants who’d look after the place, I had inspections the first year and once they saw I was a good tenant they’ve pretty much left me alone. I’ve had only the one rent increase of £15 a month (last year) in the 7 years I’ve been here.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

Some increases are astonishing.

I am a landlord and haven’t increased my rent in 2 years. Funnily enough the property management company text me the other day and advised me to increase the rent as it was below the market average of houses around the same area.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I am a landlord and haven’t increased my rent in 2 years. Funnily enough the property management company text me the other day and advised me to increase the rent as it was below the market average of houses around the same area. "

Do they charge a fixed fee or a percentage of the rent paid?

Blyth

"Good tenants are worth their weight in gold.

Better to charge less to a good, long staying and responsible tenant that you know well than put rents up and risk them moving and you ending up with a bad one, especially if you've seen no personal increase in expenses such as a mortgage.

A"

We've seen increases in landlords insurance, annual boiler servicing and agents fees but haven't passed anything on to the tenants as yet. We will have to at some point but now is not the right time.

" Do they charge a fixed fee or a percentage of the rent paid?"

The management company charge me fixed fee which they take out the rent that is given to me each month. I believe it is usually a percentage but they did me a good deal at the time as I got them another client too.

"I suppose it depends if you value profit or peoples ability to live without worry of how they will pay the bills.

Have your costs gone up? I don't think it is unreasonable to cover any increase you have occurred.

Also if you put up the rent will you end up with vacant properties and no rent coming in at all."

This 100%

Blyth

A"

Even with no mortgage on a property a landlord will still see increases in things like annual servicing costs, landlord insurance and possibly agents fees. In our case we've seen all of these but haven't passed any on as yet.

You are 100% correct when you say a good tenant is worth their weight in gold. Thankfully our tenants are both long term and love where they live. We're quite happy looking after them re rent as long as they're looking after the properties.

If people can't afford a second mortgage without tenants, then they shouldnt have one.

"Have people's rents gone up much over the last few years.

We've rented out a couple of houses for about the last 6 or 7 years and have never increased the rents. We did think of putting them up a while back but covid hit and a lot of people were struggling so we didn't think it was right and we'd wait until covid had gone and people were more secure in their jobs. Actually our tenants worked through the lockdowns but we still didn't increase their rents.

Now covid has more or less gone, or at least doesn't really affect people working due to no lockdowns, people are being hit from all sides with rising prices so we still don't want to burden them with higher rents.

I just read a post where someone was saying their rent had increased by £300 per month so wondered how many more had been hit with increases.

I understand many landlords will have mortgages which will have increased so at least some of that may need to be passed on but £300 a month seems excessive.

"

I took my tenants in because they were being kicked out the house next door (nothing of their own fault the guy on the contract wanted his partner to move in) and it was near Christmas time. When covid hit they said they were struggling and didn’t have money for food. I didn’t charge them rent and later found out they went on holiday lol.

You are right with the increases, my mortgage has gone up and I had to renew my landlord insurance not long ago which was a considerable amount more than last year.

Blyth

"I suppose it depends if you value profit or peoples ability to live without worry of how they will pay the bills.

Also if you put up the rent will you end up with vacant properties and no rent coming in at all."

Our costs have increased but we're not passing any of that on to the tenant as yet. Rental property is at a premium in this particular location so we'd have no problem renting them out if the current tenants decided to move on. It's about trying to do the right thing just now I think.

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

A

Even with no mortgage on a property a landlord will still see increases in things like annual servicing costs, landlord insurance and possibly agents fees. In our case we've seen all of these but haven't passed any on as yet.

You are 100% correct when you say a good tenant is worth their weight in gold. Thankfully our tenants are both long term and love where they live. We're quite happy looking after them re rent as long as they're looking after the properties."

It's a good attitude to have. My brother is a landlord and he hasn't raised rents as he seems in a similar position to you. The additional costs he's seen (insurance, annual maintenance/servicing etc) work out to around £20 a month for him and he sees secured rental income from long term tenants who cause zero damage and treat the place as their own home as a much bigger benefit than a couple of hundred extra a year. The previous tenants were constantly causing issues so he's happier to be more 'generous' and supportive of the present ones in the hope they'll continue to be the perfect renters.

A

Blyth

A

You are 100% correct when you say a good tenant is worth their weight in gold. Thankfully our tenants are both long term and love where they live. We're quite happy looking after them re rent as long as they're looking after the properties.

It's a good attitude to have. My brother is a landlord and he hasn't raised rents as he seems in a similar position to you. The additional costs he's seen (insurance, annual maintenance/servicing etc) work out to around £20 a month for him and he sees secured rental income from long term tenants who cause zero damage and treat the place as their own home as a much bigger benefit than a couple of hundred extra a year. The previous tenants were constantly causing issues so he's happier to be more 'generous' and supportive of the present ones in the hope they'll continue to be the perfect renters.

A "

Spot on

By *rAitchMan  over a year ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

I rent part of a country manor house in a farming estate village. I've been here over 8 years and my rent recently increased for the first time since I've been here by £15 per month.

Due to the rising cost of energy, the landlord is providing all tenants with 500 litres of heating oil free of charge, which is worth about £450 per tenant.

» Add a new message to this topic