FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Hs2

Hs2

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Screw you hs2

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

It's odd to think we have conference calling and video linking and marvellous things to come and yet we are to spend squillions of pounds that we don't have ( see government borrowing figures) , or will be ripped off under PFI con contracts , on a Victorian transport solution .

By *ctavius StuntMan  over a year ago

london

"Screw you hs2 "

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Screw you hs2 "

Coming a bit too close to home?

Hello,

one of the reasons for HS2 that keeps being repeated, (so someone must think it's a good idea?) is how much shorter the journey times are? That's fine if you want to go station to station, but who does? When you add the time to get to the station and then to go to your final destination at the other end, I imagine that in most cases there will only be a small percentage of time saved?

Alec

Glasgow

You could say the same about air travel only the home to destination time for air travel includes ages at both end clearing security etc in a way rail travel doesn't (yet!)

For many UK trips there probably isn't much in it and I'd argue that trains are much more fun than planes.

What astounds me is that china built a 1500 mile high speed line between 2 cities in 6 years, and our 186 miles is going to take 17 years.........

"What astounds me is that china built a 1500 mile high speed line between 2 cities in 6 years, and our 186 miles is going to take 17 years......... "

It'll take 16 years to fill the health and safety fun police forms out tho' hadnt you heard

Wait till its built and costs a small mortgage to buy a return ticket.

Saves you 30 minutes travel time.

Takes you 30 years to save the fare.

Not to mention for the contractors to get there back handers to the government for promises to get the work

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

"What astounds me is that china built a 1500 mile high speed line between 2 cities in 6 years, and our 186 miles is going to take 17 years......... "

Yes....but we will never know how many lives were lost building it

It will never seen the light of day, time the consultations and the not in my back yard folk have had there say we'll be driving hover boards!

Glasgow

That's down to nimbyism and cost.

With a command economy and unlimited cheap labour, we could be up and running by 2018ish.

Even as things stand, we could cut the build time if we start from both ends - LondonB'Ham and B'hamLondon etc.

Will we still be using trains in 17 years?

I'm planning on teleporting. Will make getting to meets much simpler..

By *icketysplitsWoman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

There aren't so many public hearings, examinations in public, newt rescue cases to get in the way. Then they work hard and get it done.

"Will we still be using trains in 17 years?

I'm planning on teleporting. Will make getting to meets much simpler.."

Sorry but they scrapped the teleport idea.

To many flies in the ointment

Torquay

I do think that the cost will escalate and on that basis I don't think it's the best of times to be pouring so much money into something that isn't absolutely neccesary.

Glasgow

"I do think that the cost will escalate and on that basis I don't think it's the best of times to be pouring so much money into something that isn't absolutely neccesary."

There's no doubt the cost will escalate but it isn't just about whether the project is necessary.

It'll provide work for thousands for years.

"I do think that the cost will escalate and on that basis I don't think it's the best of times to be pouring so much money into something that isn't absolutely neccesary."

Its less than 10% of what they gave to the banks.

On that basis its an absolute bargain.

After all we will have something useful at the end.

Now you cant say that about the banks.

Torquay

"I do think that the cost will escalate and on that basis I don't think it's the best of times to be pouring so much money into something that isn't absolutely neccesary.

There's no doubt the cost will escalate but it isn't just about whether the project is necessary.

It'll provide work for thousands for years."

Thousands of years?.....was that a typo?

"Will we still be using trains in 17 years?

I'm planning on teleporting. Will make getting to meets much simpler..

Sorry but they scrapped the teleport idea.

To many flies in the ointment "

By *UNKIEMan  over a year ago

south east

"What astounds me is that china built a 1500 mile high speed line between 2 cities in 6 years, and our 186 miles is going to take 17 years.........

That's down to nimbyism and cost.

With a command economy and unlimited cheap labour, we could be up and running by 2018ish.

Even as things stand, we could cut the build time if we start from both ends - LondonB'Ham and B'hamLondon etc."

do you really think they would meet in the middle....probably miss each other by about 10 miles

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

yes but in China if you open your mouth to say actually destroying my home or business is something i am not happy with, your off to a prison to be educated..

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

is it being funded from central government or PFI..?

I think it is right to invest in infrastructure, particularly at the moment. The thing about HS2 that doesn't make sense is where the stations are planned to be sited. Unless the line goes all the way into a city any gains may well be lost.

"I do think that the cost will escalate and on that basis I don't think it's the best of times to be pouring so much money into something that isn't absolutely neccesary.

is it being funded from central government or PFI..?"

There is government tranche but I haven't looked at how the figures stack up yet.

By *eavenNhellCouple  over a year ago

carrbrook stalybridge

all the BANANAS will pop up and block it for years and we will get watered down version that will leave us with a backward transport system reliant on increasingly expensive and difficult to extract oil .instead of building a fast effecient electric powered rail network but dont worry our competitors on the contninent have been building there high speed rail network for years and are already+ ahead of us .

Glasgow

"I think it is right to invest in infrastructure, particularly at the moment. The thing about HS2 that doesn't make sense is where the stations are planned to be sited. Unless the line goes all the way into a city any gains may well be lost.

"

It'd be really hard building a new rail line into many of our major cities but I can see where linking HS2 into current West Coast Main Line for the last mile might work.

What we don't want it too much slowing down to accommodate stops at Joe Bloggs MP's local station. Good links between city centres and new hub stations are what's needed.

Investing in infrastructure is what brought the US out of the Great Depression.

"Screw you hs2 "
Now that's a very Luddite attitude to progress

By *agna Cum LaudeMan  over a year ago

Laudable

"I think it is right to invest in infrastructure, particularly at the moment. The thing about HS2 that doesn't make sense is where the stations are planned to be sited. Unless the line goes all the way into a city any gains may well be lost.

It'd be really hard building a new rail line into many of our major cities but I can see where linking HS2 into current West Coast Main Line for the last mile might work.

What we don't want it too much slowing down to accommodate stops at Joe Bloggs MP's local station. Good links between city centres and new hub stations are what's needed.

Investing in infrastructure is what brought the US out of the Great Depression."

A cuurent first class ticket from Where I live to London (return) is £400 (last week) I have flown to the US for less than half that!

Glasgow

".....A cuurent first class ticket from Where I live to London (return) is £400 (last week) I have flown to the US for less than half that!"

I'm guessing that's a peak hour turn up and buy ticket

By *imply_SensualMan  over a year ago

warrington

Interesting topic - in the early 60s, would you have said motorways were not necessary? Or earlier, that airports were mythical places because people wouldnt use aeroplanes?

The harsh fact is that London is where the business and investment is being made - for people outside of London, it makes it difficult to tap into that market unless you are willing to move there. A cut in journey times will make the place more accessible. Yes, we have video conferencing, Skype etc but we need a good balance. HS2 will provide that and also potential investment outside of London when people realise that the 'North' isnt that far away.

The world is smaller thanks to the internet and advances in travel elsewhere, so making our own country smaller by making it more accessible should have a similar effect, except on a micro scale, not global.

Well if the high speed link in Kent is anything to go by.

Prices are 20% higher than standard fares for the same trip.

£500 Manchester(ish) to London(ish) would be cheaper by plane and 5 x faster.

By *agna Cum LaudeMan  over a year ago

Laudable

Yes its an on the day peak time return

Well I must be the only one that thinks its a great idea. Gets me into London quicker then I'm more than happy x

"Well I must be the only one that thinks its a great idea. Gets me into London quicker then I'm more than happy x"

No disrespect mate, but wont be ready till 2030 so you more than likely not need it then

Dont people use the train at 65? I didn't realise there was an age limit

Yes, but China has an awful lot more people than we do and they do as they are told and get paid peanuts for it.

Torquay

"What astounds me is that china built a 1500 mile high speed line between 2 cities in 6 years, and our 186 miles is going to take 17 years.........

Yes, but China has an awful lot more people than we do and they do as they are told and get paid peanuts for it. "

They get peanuts with their rice?

That's only if they work on a Sunday

"Dont people use the train at 65? I didn't realise there was an age limit "

Not the age thats the limit, more the cost.

Yes, and by 2030 will it even be needed?

"Yes, and by 2030 will it even be needed?"

Oh boo , lost in the thread

We've only just upgraded the Bazalgette sewerage system in London. The Chunnel wasn't going to be worth the effort and the two points wouldn't join up.

Do we wait until everything grinds to a halt before doing something about it? The road network won't be able to handle more unless we stack driving on sky-lanes. People are still going to travel.

"Yes, and by 2030 will it even be needed?

Oh boo , lost in the thread "

What technology do you think we will be using instead? If something is viable then I am willing to consider it but do you let the old technologies die on the basis that something will be invented by then?

Why cant we just up-grade what we already have.

£37.5 billion would make a huge difference to the west coast line.

"Why cant we just up-grade what we already have.

£37.5 billion would make a huge difference to the west coast line."

It's not just a matter of track but rolling stock too, isn't it? What's the case for upgrading the West Coast Line only?

"We've only just upgraded the Bazalgette sewerage system in London. The Chunnel wasn't going to be worth the effort and the two points wouldn't join up.

Do we wait until everything grinds to a halt before doing something about it? The road network won't be able to handle more unless we stack driving on sky-lanes. People are still going to travel."

It's not just a matter of track but rolling stock too, isn't it? What's the case for upgrading the West Coast Line only?"

Bit more of a case than a train line from just outside Birmingham to London with no other stations.

Bit of a limited offer when it reduces your train journey by a couple of minutes only.

It's not just a matter of track but rolling stock too, isn't it? What's the case for upgrading the West Coast Line only?

Bit more of a case than a train line from just outside Birmingham to London with no other stations.

Bit of a limited offer when it reduces your train journey by a couple of minutes only."

A couple of minutes? Try 50% reduction in travel time.

The HS2 line isn't designed for passengers who want to go to an outlying town 30 miles from Leeds (although it can be used for that), but more for passengers who want to go from London to Leeds, or any of the other stops en-route, freeing up space these passengers would normally occupy on the existing network. It is a 2-pronged approach to the problems on the rail network: 1. A faster service for the long distance commuters, and 2. alleviating the crowded carriages we have at the moment.

As stated above, do we wait until it all falls apart before acting, or be proactive and start building for the future now.

Wonderful if you live Just outside Leeds.

Total waste of time if you live in Sheffield though.

Unless your happy to wait some 30 years for it to arrive, then travel in the wrong direction so you can save a few minutes.

"Wonderful if you live Just outside Leeds.

Total waste of time if you live in Sheffield though.

Unless your happy to wait some 30 years for it to arrive, then travel in the wrong direction so you can save a few minutes."

If a single ticket from London to Sheffield via Leeds on a high speed train changing to a slower one for the leg from Leeds to Sheffield costs the same as a ticket on a slower train direct from London to Sheffield, I'd use it, as I'd pay the same but still get there quicker.

As posted earlier, the one in Kent is 20% more expensive.

Not one single person will give any indication of the cost of tickets.

"As posted earlier, the one in Kent is 20% more expensive.

Not one single person will give any indication of the cost of tickets."

Ok, so it will be a bit dearer but I'd still pay it to travel in comfort, faster.

Having said that, I'm a car driver so the HS2 is something I'll probably never use anyway, but I can still see it's value.

£37.5 billion worth of value ?????

I did think the Olympics would be with all the talk of what it would leave behind.

Seems we dont always get what they promise though.

I am a train driver and the inside feeling is what has already been mentioned; it will happen, but it will take longer than proposed to complete and it is more than likely be a slightly watered down version.

As for ticket pricing, I guess it all depends if the government run it themselves as the old British Rail. If it goes out to tender then it could be pretty expensive but I guess the thought is it would be a business commuting service.

NIMBY's. HS1 is right in my back garden. Not for long though. It's fucking fast

Glasgow

".........

Not one single person will give any indication of the cost of tickets."

What will a pint of beer cost in 2033?

At the present rate of price increase, around £7.40

".........

Not one single person will give any indication of the cost of tickets.

What will a pint of beer cost in 2033?"

no idea but waggon wheels will be the same size as a 5p piece

"At the present rate of price increase, around £7.40"

there's places in London you pay that already

Glasgow

£37.5 billion would make a huge difference to the west coast line."

The West Coast Main Line is nearing capacity - not so much in terms of passenger numbers especially off peak but in terms of the number of trains you can safely run on a given length of track at any given time.

"At the present rate of price increase, around £7.40

there's places in London you pay that already"

Now we know why they want a faster train to get up here then.

Glasgow

Now we know why they want a faster train to get up here then."

I'm not convinced much, if any, of the active traffic will be northwards.

It'll just make it easier for folks to get to London to do business.

Well unless they are planning on staying in London for ever.

They will need to come back again surely.

Glasgow

"Well unless they are planning on staying in London for ever.

They will need to come back again surely."

The clue is in the 'active'.

"Well unless they are planning on staying in London for ever.

They will need to come back again surely.

The clue is in the 'active'."

There would be a case for some businesses that don't need to have everything located in London. It would be cheaper for me to have office space outside of London but the commute times heading north make this impossible. Commuting it geared to heading into London but with the right links it could work both ways.

It will cost more jobs than it will create it is being build by a german company siemens they will use all their already skilled labour into build it so no jobs there unless you wanna work part time in John Lewis for minimum wage woop I will lose my job from it along with many future generations That's before it's even been built not to mention the next million years it takes to pay fir it

And you think 16 trains an hour 600 meters long and allegedly at 225 miles an hour is safe

Investing in infrastructure is what brought the US out of the Great Depression."

Now who was it that said Keynesian economics wouldn't work

carrbrook stalybridge

"And you think 16 trains an hour 600 meters long and allegedly at 225 miles an hour is safe "
you mean like the TGV in france or the shinkansen in japan ? hmmmmmmmm they seem to have a pretty good safety record to me

now lets look at upgrading the wcml and trying to run 225mph trains on there you know with all those local slow speed trains slow coal container and fuel trains i know which is the more dangerous . lets fave it with the ever spiraling cost of oil and its increasing difficulty getting it out of the ground travel is going to get exceedingly expensive for both the private motorist and the road haulage companys . many of the latter will as stobart are already doing turn to intermodal trains for long distance work so where are these going to run ? on the rump of the "classic " rail network and thew fast city to city passenger traffic will run on the new dedicated high speed lines .if we dont build this system and soon we will be even further behind our europeean competiters who are already building and linking airport hubs with high speed lines linked to major citys .

but no doubt the BANANA ( Build Absoluotly Nothing Anywhere Nothing Atall )brigade will get there way and put this back years

A mate of mine is a civil engineer and has just seen the first draft of the plans. Apparently it won't be getting built any time soon because at the moment the line runs straight through one of the runways and the arrivals terminal of East Midlands Airport! I won't mention what it does to the A/M42

Torquay

"It will cost more jobs than it will create it is being build by a german company siemens they will use all their already skilled labour into build it so no jobs there unless you wanna work part time in John Lewis for minimum wage woop I will lose my job from it along with many future generations That's before it's even been built not to mention the next million years it takes to pay fir it "

I think you will find that the British company Balfour Beatty are very much involved in the planned construction of the track beds.....

Torquay

Now we know why they want a faster train to get up here then.

I'm not convinced much, if any, of the active traffic will be northwards.

It'll just make it easier for folks to get to London to do business."

Without a doubt.....

Costly internal high-speed train links are an unnecessary luxury in a country that doesn’t share borders with trading partners…

Far better to modernise and extend the present rail infrastructure to allow all areas of the UK to benefit.

I've just put 2 and 2 together and realised what this thread about

I initially thought HS2 was a profile name and the op was naming and shaming

What technology do you think we will be using instead? If something is viable then I am willing to consider it but do you let the old technologies die on the basis that something will be invented by then?"

. Hs2 is old tech someone compares it to the tgv which is 30years old sounds like a great Idea spending our kids future on old technology that is out of date sounds like a great idea why not spend a bit more of our road tax on the roads and make them better eh this is a crap idea we don't want it and can't afford it

What technology do you think we will be using instead? If something is viable then I am willing to consider it but do you let the old technologies die on the basis that something will be invented by then?. Hs2 is old tech someone

compares it to the tgv which is 30years

old sounds like a great Idea spending

our kids future on old technology that is

out of date sounds like a great idea why

not spend a bit more of our road tax on

the roads and make them better eh this

is a crap idea we don't want it and can't

afford it"

So in thirty years when it's been built it will be sixty year old technology woop woop and they say we are at the cutting edge ga ha ha

No offence to most people on here I like their style but some of the comments prove some of the ignorance on this matter like mushrooms kept in the dark and fed on shit just as the powers that be want you to be wake up people we are being bent over and raped by the government in everyday possible enough is enough

Glasgow

"No offence to most people on here I like their style but some of the comments prove some of the ignorance on this matter like mushrooms kept in the dark and fed on shit just as the powers that be want you to be wake up people we are being bent over and raped by the government in everyday possible enough is enough "

I'm sure you fel better after that but would it be possible for you to be a bit more specific re your concerns?

At a cost of 32bn just to get business folk into London quicker is this really a benefit to us all when the country is skint !

Most of us will be old when its finished and does anyone really believe that the 32bn is the final figure !

I for one think if this goes ahead it could quiet easily double

The original estimate for the Olympics was £2 billion.

The final cost was actual just under £9 billion.

If the HS2 goes the same way, then around £120 billion will be the final cost.

Glasgow

"The original estimate for the Olympics was £2 billion.

The final cost was actual just under £9 billion.

If the HS2 goes the same way, then around £120 billion will be the final cost."

How long did the Olympics last?

3 weeks?

Take all the money that we would be investing in HS2 and use it to re-nationalize and re-vitalise the existing rail network and trains service.

Then, make train fares reasonably priced and centrally controlled by the government and get the Japanese rail experts over here to sort it out so we have a fully functional, cheap mass transit system that everyone can afford to use.

2 months, and your point is what ????

Under estimating cost is what all our governments do best.They just keep on putting the price up, because it isnt their money they are spending.

You'll get from Manchester to London lot quicker it seems. I hope all those business meetings are in Euston. Otherwise you'll be spending that again on the shite service of the tube. The Northern Line serves Euston. We don't call it the misery line for nothing. Or the circle line .a line that only exists in the minds of TFL. that's fun too

Already it cost more to use the train than it does to do the journey by car, if there are two people you can hire a car and drive there for less than the cost of the train.

As has been mentioned no matter how fast they get the door to door time on an island this small is seldom faster than driving it.

To pay for the hs link they are going to put the prices up even more! Logic has left the building

carrbrook stalybridge

"Take all the money that we would be investing in HS2 and use it to re-nationalize and re-vitalise the existing rail network and trains service.

Then, make train fares reasonably priced and centrally controlled by the government and get the Japanese rail experts over here to sort it out so we have a fully functional, cheap mass transit system that everyone can afford to use.

"

absolout bollocks you can get as many japanes conmsultants over here as you like and you know what they would say "build a high speed line " the only reason the TGV and shinkansen work is because they only have there high speed trains running on there tracks they shut down at midnight till 5 am for mainatainance every day and get alot of £££££££ spent on them so where would the goods & local traffic run ?

"Take all the money that we would be investing in HS2 and use it to re-nationalize and re-vitalise the existing rail network and trains service.

absolout bollocks you can get as many japanes conmsultants over here as you like and you know what they would say "build a high speed line " the only reason the TGV and shinkansen work is because they only have there high speed trains running on there tracks they shut down at midnight till 5 am for mainatainance every day and get alot of £££££££ spent on them so where would the goods & local traffic run ? "

The Japanese have a rail and metro system that works and everybody uses it. Its not bollocks - its bloody well there for the world to see. So it does work.

carrbrook stalybridge

absolout bollocks you can get as many japanes conmsultants over here as you like and you know what they would say "build a high speed line " the only reason the TGV and shinkansen work is because they only have there high speed trains running on there tracks they shut down at midnight till 5 am for mainatainance every day and get alot of £££££££ spent on them so where would the goods & local traffic run ?

The Japanese have a rail and metro system that works and everybody uses it. Its not bollocks - its bloody well there for the world to see. So it does work. "

yes it does work because the mtro runs ona dedicated track out side off terminalsas does the shinkansen the two dont mix along with heavy freight so maintainenece cost and scheduals are different . in this country high speed trains have to run on the same tracks as local and heavy frieght trains the heavy freight trains put a differnet strain and wear and tear on the track as high speed and local trains so a compramise has to be made resulting in lower speed trians . what is being propsed is the same as the TGV & the shinkansen with only high speed light weight trains running meaning the track can be maintained to a higher level

Hello Wishy,

"A couple of minutes? Try 50% reduction in travel time."

Only if you live at the source station and don't want to go further than the destination station. Factor in the time to get to the station and then to where you want to go at the journeys end and then tell me how much faster it is?

It smacks of big boys toys at a horrendous cost. They say it will greatly benefit the economy but how? Construction companies etc will benefit for the short term but it is hardly likely to stimulate the whole of the economy?

I understand the need to plan for expansion but is this really the best way?

By the way for those that think that government spending is a good thing,(Kensyan), imagine if your taxes were reduced by the amount that would have been spent on (wasteful because that's how governments work) government projects what that could do for the economy, i.e some cash in your pocket?

Alec

Glasgow

" ...........By the way for those that think that government spending is a good thing,(Kensyan), imagine if your taxes were reduced by the amount that would have been spent on (wasteful because that's how governments work) government projects what that could do for the economy, i.e some cash in your pocket?

Alec"

£32 billion (or whatever it turns out to be) is a BIG sum but it's over a long period of time and shouldn't be seen in isolation.

Reducing taxes is all well and good but if it becomes 'cash in your pocket' it isn't doing much good. It needs to be spent and, at the moment, people aren't spending.

The Japanese have a rail and metro system that works and everybody uses it. Its not bollocks - its bloody well there for the world to see. So it does work. yes it does work because the mtro runs ona dedicated track out side off terminalsas does the shinkansen the two dont mix along with heavy freight so maintainenece cost and scheduals are different . in this country high speed trains have to run on the same tracks as local and heavy frieght trains the heavy freight trains put a differnet strain and wear and tear on the track as high speed and local trains so a compramise has to be made resulting in lower speed trians . what is being propsed is the same as the TGV & the shinkansen with only high speed light weight trains running meaning the track can be maintained to a higher level "

We are a island, just a touch over 600 miles at its longest.

How fast do you need trains to be???

Plus, given the population density and geographic diversity that probably whittles it down even further.

Glasgow

"...........

We are a island, just a touch over 600 miles at its longest.

How fast do you need trains to be???

Plus, given the population density and geographic diversity that probably whittles it down even further. "

There's a bit of a campaign going to speed up train journeys between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Less than 50 miles and less than 50 minutes at the moment. 3-4 trains an hour.

You want to get there sooner? Take the earlier train.

» Add a new message to this topic