FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Parking fine whilst broken down in services

Parking fine whilst broken down in services

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *aptiveAudience OP   Man 2 weeks ago

Nottingham

So, it was bad enough breaking down on the M1 a few weeks ago without then getting a Parkingeye fine for exceeding the 2hr parking limit by 19 mins because I was waiting for the AA to come to the breakdown.

I’ve sent AA breakdown evidence to Parkingeye and they have rejected the appeal - no reason given, just a rejection. I’m now taking it up with POPLAR who offer ann independent appeals process.

Anyone else had this happen or know what the outcome will be?

For me, I had no choice in being in their carpark for 2hrs 19mins due to the circumstances. I didn’t want to be there and I didn’t want to be on the M1 with a faulty car putting myself and other road users as danger so I had very little choice.

Thanks for any seriously advice given.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *midnight-Woman 2 weeks ago

[Removed by poster at 27/04/24 09:16:19]

By *ools and the brainCouple 2 weeks ago

couple, us we him her.

Was there not any option to buy a ticket for a longer stay in the parking area?

I know it was probably the last thing on your mind at the time, correspondence with parking eye is a nightmare they intentionally leave it till the fine doubles in price.

I'd definitely chase it further and don't pay unless absolutely have to.

I know many don't bother,I'm not sure what they can do if you don't pay?

By *midnight-Woman 2 weeks ago

Ahh thats unfortunate - i broke down and knew my breakdown cover wouldn't arrive in time, so tracked down the duty manager - took 30 mins! - explained and they add my car to the 'list' which I assume is all day staff parking approval

You can appeal, but the conditions of service are pretty visible and you have to buy a parking ticket if you will be there more than 2 hours, so i can't see you will win in honesty

By *achel SmythTV/TS 2 weeks ago

Farnborough

My understanding is that on parking at services you have an option to pay if you’re going to be over 2 hours?

I’m sure the appeal was rejected given you should have paid for the parking if you knew you were going to be over the 2hr limit.

I know from experience, just how black and white these companies are!

R xx

By *tephTV67TV/TS 2 weeks ago

Cheshire

Same thing happened to me when my Motorbike wouldn’t start at the services. Took more than 2 hours for recovery van to arrive, saw the signs so paid for the extra time I had to stay.

I would say pay the fine as I can’t see you winning your appeal.

By *ltrMan 2 weeks ago

sheffield

I had a truck stuck in Leicester forest east services waiting for national tyres 3 hours later sorted 3 days later parking ticket ,appealed to Nat tyres was their fault got basically to go forth and multiply so just paid it .so when contract was up with Nat tyres moved to ats so in the end a £100 quid fine cost them 15 vehicles contract ( but really driver should have gone and paid £25 quid for 24hours and got a meal voucher

By *aters139Man 2 weeks ago

Sheffield

There's a forum\site called pepipoo.

It's dedicated to this sort is stuff. Load of advice and even templates to help you out. They've been around years so I bet you'll not be the first in that situation

Things to make sure are

1. Don't appeal for any random excuse, they don't care -it has to be something in their terms. I think I appeals on the basis of no actual loss...ie it's free to park

2. The best thing you can do is go direct to the owners and get it cancelled rather than appealing etc.

Nottingham

"I had a truck stuck in Leicester forest east services waiting for national tyres 3 hours later sorted 3 days later parking ticket ,appealed to Nat tyres was their fault got basically to go forth and multiply so just paid it .so when contract was up with Nat tyres moved to ats so in the end a £100 quid fine cost them 15 vehicles contract ( but really driver should have gone and paid £25 quid for 24hours and got a meal voucher "

Haha… brilliant. Nice one. Yeah I wasn’t happy with the over 2hr response time from the AA if I’m honest.

By *melia DominaTV/TS 2 weeks ago

Edinburgh (She/Her)

Contact the services and explain the issue. They'll contact parking eye and tell them to shove it...

Have this problem with a lot of hotel parking for my engineers. Always contacted hotel and Have always had the fine rescinded.

It will be no different.

The services will not want bad customer experience.

By *icolerobbieCouple 2 weeks ago

walsall

Being broken down is not parking. Unless their terms tell you that being broken down is considered parking that is.

By *ittleMissCali_MrDJCouple 2 weeks ago

wonderland.

When I had this. Rac told me to go and let them know at the services. They then added my plate to the list. My car was actually not recovered for over 7 hours. Although I was in a taxi...

I was told that I had to register or id get a ticket.

Good luck. In my experience parking eye are ruthless and don't accept appeals

By *ophieslutTV/TS 2 weeks ago

Central

I had a problem on the M1 and the service station staff were great. They took my reg number and said I'd not be charged. It's always easier to treat things at source, if possible, not to have to solve afterwards.

The UK parking situation is abhorrent, with everyone outsourcing the charging and policing of parking. I hope things change and companies realise the virtue of not doing this and make it part of their promotion that they don't do it

By *red333Man 2 weeks ago

Dorchester

"So, it was bad enough breaking down on the M1 a few weeks ago without then getting a Parkingeye fine for exceeding the 2hr parking limit by 19 mins because I was waiting for the AA to come to the breakdown.

I’ve sent AA breakdown evidence to Parkingeye and they have rejected the appeal - no reason given, just a rejection. I’m now taking it up with POPLAR who offer ann independent appeals process.

For me, I had no choice in being in their carpark for 2hrs 19mins due to the circumstances. I didn’t want to be there and I didn’t want to be on the M1 with a faulty car putting myself and other road users as danger so I had very little choice.

Thanks for any seriously advice given."

Just don't pay it, simple

Nottingham

"Being broken down is not parking. Unless their terms tell you that being broken down is considered parking that is."

Good point. I’d not thought of that. Thanks.

Nottingham

"Contact the services and explain the issue. They'll contact parking eye and tell them to shove it...

Have this problem with a lot of hotel parking for my engineers. Always contacted hotel and Have always had the fine rescinded.

It will be no different.

The services will not want bad customer experience. "

Thanks. Yeah, I’ll contact welcome break.

By *ldgeezermeMan 2 weeks ago

Newcastle, Throckley

Don't pay

They *might* take you to court but even then they might lose

It's a numbers game for them

I've never paid one yet, I got all kinds of threatening letters but nothing ever happened

wonderland.

Please don't just not pay. My son does this... and I had 16 months of bailiffs at my door. It took me forever to prove that he didn't live here.

They don't just let it go these days

By *oiluvfunMan 2 weeks ago

Penrith

"Being broken down is not parking. Unless their terms tell you that being broken down is considered parking that is."

Exactly this

By *enSiskoMan 2 weeks ago

Cestus 3

"So, it was bad enough breaking down on the M1 a few weeks ago without then getting a Parkingeye fine for exceeding the 2hr parking limit by 19 mins because I was waiting for the AA to come to the breakdown.

Your doing what you need to do, these parking enforcement companies will always reject hoping you will pay up, but you will win your appeal.

Once I went to wash my car at a petrol station, parked at the side of the carwash to wipe the car down got chatting to some guy who wouldn't shut up for about 30 minutes.

then a couple of days later I got a fine, I looked into it and realised the fine was unenforceable , so ignored the letter threats and no longer hear from them.

But your right to appeal as this situation will have bayliffs at your door.

By *exbecs12Woman 2 weeks ago

Land of roman gods

You poor thing. Sounds like you are in control.

Land of roman gods

"I had a truck stuck in Leicester forest east services waiting for national tyres 3 hours later sorted 3 days later parking ticket ,appealed to Nat tyres was their fault got basically to go forth and multiply so just paid it .so when contract was up with Nat tyres moved to ats so in the end a £100 quid fine cost them 15 vehicles contract ( but really driver should have gone and paid £25 quid for 24hours and got a meal voucher

Haha… brilliant. Nice one. Yeah I wasn’t happy with the over 2hr response time from the AA if I’m honest."

Was there option to pay for more parking time

Land of roman gods

I never know why food stores charge to park. I spend £2.90 and get it back at Asdas if I spend over £7.50. I have gone over time with them..no charge. Sainsbury's 2 hours max. Am fighting my own ticket. I was still shopping bang and this was in Christmas period last year.

By *aulaxd2020TV/TS 2 weeks ago

dudley

I broke down on M1 and was towed to Tibshelf services Highways agency told me to go into the WH Smith shop and tell them I’d broke down, to stop me getting a parking ticket,

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman 2 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

I recieved a fine two years ago for overstaying 10 mins at a small shopping plaza with barely noticeable signage.

I was determined not to pay as I had shopped, had the receipts but most of all because their signage was appalling.

I won in the end although the exchange of letters was lengthy because Parking Eye will keep threatening in the hope that you will cave in....

So STICK to your guns.

You may lose due to the fact that you could have paid extra and didn't

BUT ..... in my book , you were not parked you were broken down.

I read road laws, parking laws and a few drivers support sites to back up my arguments.

I even contacted the owners of the land that employ Parking Eye to get them to ask Parking Eye to lay off...... they did this and Parking Eye still tried to ignore that.

As I say I won....

Do what you can

By *ldgeezermeMan 2 weeks ago

Newcastle, Throckley

Your doing what you need to do, these parking enforcement companies will always reject hoping you will pay up, but you will win your appeal.

Once I went to wash my car at a petrol station, parked at the side of the carwash to wipe the car down got chatting to some guy who wouldn't shut up for about 30 minutes.

then a couple of days later I got a fine, I looked into it and realised the fine was unenforceable , so ignored the letter threats and no longer hear from them.

But your right to appeal as this situation will have bayliffs at your door."

Only the courts can order baillifs, and you would know if the courts had been involved

The private parking companies could only send debt collectors, who have no powers whatsoever

By *offiaCoolWoman 2 weeks ago

Kidsgrove

Roadchef will exempt you from any charges if you go to WHSMITH and tell them you have broken down. They will ask for proof of recovery services attending if you have paperwork, or will accept a text from RAC etc saying they are on their way.

By *ictoria_1976TV/TS 2 weeks ago

Newquay

I broke down on the M5 & limped into Taunton Deane services - I went & told someone in WHSmiths I'm waiting for recovery & they just wiped my visit from the system

By *ranny-CrumpetWoman 2 weeks ago

King's Crustacean

I am not so sure they are 'fines' if I remember correctly they are 'charges' or invites to pay or something similar.

Parking Eye are not able to enforce anything which is why they threaten court action....... AND if they cite that one single case that they keep on citing ... don't take any notice.

Good luck

wonderland.

Only the courts can order baillifs, and you would know if the courts had been involved

The private parking companies could only send debt collectors, who have no powers whatsoever"

Well they have been multiple times and I had to prove he didn't live here. Don't care what power they have or don't. When they are knocking at the door being arses its not nice

Cestus 3

The private parking companies could only send debt collectors, who have no powers whatsoever"

Yes you are right, came back to say if the council gives out a ticket it is always best to pay in my experience as they employ bailiffs, I dealt with the toothless ones debt collectors, but saying that they try their best to make ones life hell clamping cars etc

Cestus 3

"I am not so sure they are 'fines' if I remember correctly they are 'charges' or invites to pay or something similar.

Parking Eye are not able to enforce anything which is why they threaten court action....... AND if they cite that one single case that they keep on citing ... don't take any notice.

Good luck"

As with the poster who corrected me rightly so, I think you have something here, and martins money tips have information ibeleive.

By *ldgeezermeMan 1 week ago

Newcastle, Throckley

The private parking companies could only send debt collectors, who have no powers whatsoever

Yes you are right, came back to say if the council gives out a ticket it is always best to pay in my experience as they employ bailiffs, I dealt with the toothless ones debt collectors, but saying that they try their best to make ones life hell clamping cars etc"

If debt collectors are clamping cars they are breaking the law

By *rHotNottsMan 1 week ago

Dubai

Interesting case. Not surprised parkingeye refused the appeal, thier appeals team will have a strict objective, only allow appeals they might lose later. They dint actually care about anything else, they won’t exercise any mercy ( like magistrates) or bend any rules whatsoever

I have never paid a single parking charge in 20+ years. And to date none have proceeded to county court.I’ve had a few dealings with parking eye.

Option 1

If you enjoy a few years of debate back and forth , then pretending they are going to court and slowly increasing the amount from 75 to around 500 , passing around different et why collectors, then reply every 2-3 months re stating this is unfair and offering to pay a small reasonable parking fee for the 2hrs - say £5. Don’t enter into any other type of conversations , just stuck to that. In 3 years it will go away

Option 2

Issue a cease and desist and if they choose to go to court let a magistrate rule in your favour

By *rHotNottsMan 1 week ago

Dubai

Yes you are right, came back to say if the council gives out a ticket it is always best to pay in my experience as they employ bailiffs, I dealt with the toothless ones debt collectors, but saying that they try their best to make ones life hell clamping cars etc

If debt collectors are clamping cars they are breaking the law"

No one clamps cars - it’s been illegal in the uk for years.

Yep if the council issues a ticket just pay it within 14 days , it’s usually as cheap and more convenient that paying for parking , not worth the effort to appeal even.

The council operates under the decriminalisation of parking act, you cannot win against them. Private forms are different , you don’t have to pay their invoices

By *red333Man 1 week ago

Dorchester

Yep if the council issues a ticket just pay it within 14 days , it’s usually as cheap and more convenient that paying for parking , not worth the effort to appeal even.

The council operates under the decriminalisation of parking act, you cannot win against them. Private forms are different , you don’t have to pay their invoices "

Well the councils clamp cars I've seen them put a clamp on a van recently

By *oody BMan 1 week ago

Mcr. - The Gilded Palace of Sin

Ask for a as little leeway, if they don’t give it you the council are fucking knobs. Get over, pay the fine and complain about it on Twitter.

By *odgers and PartingCouple 1 week ago

edinburgh

Don’t pay it. They can’t enforce it. Future red tho, if you break down in a services tell them at the time and they mark it on the touch screen to avoid this. K

By *ltrMan 1 week ago

sheffield

"I had a truck stuck in Leicester forest east services waiting for national tyres 3 hours later sorted 3 days later parking ticket ,appealed to Nat tyres was their fault got basically to go forth and multiply so just paid it .so when contract was up with Nat tyres moved to ats so in the end a £100 quid fine cost them 15 vehicles contract ( but really driver should have gone and paid £25 quid for 24hours and got a meal voucher

Haha… brilliant. Nice one. Yeah I wasn’t happy with the over 2hr response time from the AA if I’m honest.

Was there option to pay for more parking time"

you can pay for parking overnight as a driver and get a meal voucher but we thought the tyre company would be with us in less the two hours you can park without paying ,wasn't trying it on just a genuine reason for been there but would have thought Nat tyres would have paid the fine for us rather than lose a fleet off trucks and cars that over a year could net them about 60.grand .

By *ost SockMan 1 week ago

West Wales and Cardiff

The council operates under the decriminalisation of parking act, you cannot win against them. Private forms are different , you don’t have to pay their invoices "

I’m sure you’re fundamentally correct about the council. Just to say though - if you are an employee, it may be slightly different.

I won against the council this year. They’d issued me a permit, but I got ticketed because the permit wasn’t valid on a certain day. The wording of the letter which came with the permit didn’t make that clear. My boss proved I was in work that day and it was cancelled.

I do wonder whether time of day/night comes into this. I was coming home to Cardiff at 2.30am once, and had to stop in services on the M4 due to a migraine. I only meant to stop a while, but fell asleep and stayed 20mins over the two hours.

I was just about the only car in the car park. I appealed and won.

I feel I had less of a leg to stand on than the OP!

By *aptiveAudience OP   Man 1 week ago

Nottingham

Interesting points everyone, thanks. It sounds like the system is very badly broken and they see getting away with issuing a lot of charges that they can’t enforce.

What gets me is… how are they allowed access to my address and vehicle details that is not readily available. I’d have thought them being able to my home address wouldn’t have been doable.

Regarding the charge…

I sent an email to Welcome Break services yesterday and got an email back today from POPLAR suggesting the parking charge had been dropped. Just logged into Parkingeye and it’s showing £0 balance so I guess it’s been sorted painlessly this time. I owe that to Welcome Break being reasonable though and not to Parkingeye.

By *ervent X KissMan 1 week ago

Portsmouth

It’s the rules of services - if you’re broken down they don’t charge but I believe you would normally tell WHSmith in the services that this is the situation and they make a note of your reg. WHSmith are where you’d normally pay to park. I have forgotten to notify them for a tyre change and they’ve sent out the PCN and I’ve just replied with a letter.

By *midnight-Woman 1 week ago

"Interesting points everyone, thanks. It sounds like the system is very badly broken and they see getting away with issuing a lot of charges that they can’t enforce.

What gets me is… how are they allowed access to my address and vehicle details that is not readily available. I’d have thought them being able to my home address wouldn’t have been doable.

Regarding the charge…

I sent an email to Welcome Break services yesterday and got an email back today from POPLAR suggesting the parking charge had been dropped. Just logged into Parkingeye and it’s showing £0 balance so I guess it’s been sorted painlessly this time. I owe that to Welcome Break being reasonable though and not to Parkingeye."

That is a great result for you, well done... I don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting it wiped out.. You should buy a lottery ticket!!

By *ohnysteMan 1 week ago

newcastle under lyme

Keep fighting it. Theyre sharks. Had me once after i got stuck on long works calls and overstayed by 10 mins. I won in the end.

By *anielpiercedMan 1 week ago

by the seaside

I got one once at Leicester Forest East services after I stopped to have a quick nap on way back home from.V.A. in the early hours. Didn't set my phone alarm and ended up being there 3 hours. They sent me a ticket bit I never acknowledged it, sent a few more over the course of a year but then they stopped coming.

By *erc0814Man 1 week ago

Worcester

In my experience if you go to one of the retail outlets, such as the newsagents, give them your registration, they input it into the computer so no ticket will ne issued.

By *illycd2TV/TS 1 week ago

Bishop's Stortford

"In my experience if you go to one of the retail outlets, such as the newsagents, give them your registration, they input it into the computer so no ticket will ne issued. "

I had the same experience on the M1 was there for 4 hours went to the shop gave reg of my truck and no fine.

» Add a new message to this topic