FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Cornwall Tourism Tax

Cornwall Tourism Tax

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ssex_tom OP   Man 2 weeks ago

Chelmsford

The Principality of Corneall, famous for pasties, ice cream, tin mining and it's campaigning for independence is up to it's old tricks. The elders are considering a tourist levy just for going there. What's going on here. It's all over the news

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ablo minibar123Woman 2 weeks ago

It's not up to the elders though is it. Tourists already get taxed in Cornwall to a certain degree. Taxi drivers add on a few quid if they know you aren't local

By *ustPeteMan 2 weeks ago

Harrogate

It's all a bit Scilly, Tom.

By *rAitchMan 2 weeks ago

Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe

It's all over the Kernows.

By *ife NinjaMan 2 weeks ago

Dunfermline

I don't like Cornwall. A seagull had my wimpey out of my hands in 1985. Hated it ever since. Just another reason not to go

By *r John WickMan 2 weeks ago

The Continental

That’s ok.

I’ll go to Devon instead.

Better innit.

By *ts the taking part thatMan 2 weeks ago

southampton

We already pay them so shouldn't pay twice. We pay our taxes at source if PAYE & hotels etc pay business tax & that is part of the cost for staying.

Tourist tax is not acceptable & like Airport drop off fee's will multiply quickly.

By *mber and FireCouple 2 weeks ago

Carmarthenshire

Principality? No, there are no principalities in the UK anymore. Cornwall is a County, Tom.

Carmarthenshire

"That’s ok.

Better innit. "

At least they make cream teas right.

By *r W T SaneMan 2 weeks ago

here and there

"That’s ok.

Better innit. "

And they put the jam and cream on the scones in the right order

By *ebauchedDeviantsPt2Couple 2 weeks ago

Cumbria

"The Principality of Corneall, famous for pasties, ice cream, tin mining and it's campaigning for independence is up to it's old tricks. The elders are considering a tourist levy just for going there. What's going on here. It's all over the news"

They’ve got to do something to make up for all the EU investment they lost after Brexit.

By *etsHaveALook69Man 2 weeks ago

Yorkshire

Next to tell

Me Cornwalls got its own Pope and roll barrier

By *oistvonlipwigMan 2 weeks ago

Lancaster

"It's not up to the elders though is it. Tourists already get taxed in Cornwall to a certain degree. Taxi drivers add on a few quid if they know you aren't local "

How? Do they tamper with their meters once a passenger has gotten in and they ascertain they're not local?

Carmarthenshire

"It's not up to the elders though is it. Tourists already get taxed in Cornwall to a certain degree. Taxi drivers add on a few quid if they know you aren't local

How? Do they tamper with their meters once a passenger has gotten in and they ascertain they're not local? "

They'll go the long way around.

By *uenevereWoman 2 weeks ago

Scunthorpe

"It's not up to the elders though is it. Tourists already get taxed in Cornwall to a certain degree. Taxi drivers add on a few quid if they know you aren't local

How? Do they tamper with their meters once a passenger has gotten in and they ascertain they're not local?

They'll go the long way around."

Surely that's counter productive as it means less fares overall.

By *oistvonlipwigMan 2 weeks ago

Lancaster

They'll go the long way around."

Ah!

Does that still work in times everyone has maps/navigation on their phone? I guess it does for some

By *uri00620Woman 2 weeks ago

Croydon

"The Principality of Corneall, famous for pasties, ice cream, tin mining and it's campaigning for independence is up to it's old tricks. The elders are considering a tourist levy just for going there. What's going on here. It's all over the news

They’ve got to do something to make up for all the EU investment they lost after Brexit."

Yep, was a pretty short sighted decision on their part given the huge funding they received from the EU.

By *alm_one4TV/TS 2 weeks ago

RM16

Cornwall is beautiful, we all know that, but if this is true, with the vagaries of the English Weather, I’ll pay a tourist tax to the Spanish and lay in their beaches.

How? Do they tamper with their meters once a passenger has gotten in and they ascertain they're not local? "

Very rare they have a meter running in the taxis I catch in Cornwall. They give a price when you call, and it's easy to spot the non locals by mispronunciations of place names

By *lack Orchid 0204Man 2 weeks ago

Leeds

"The Principality of Corneall, famous for pasties, ice cream, tin mining and it's campaigning for independence is up to it's old tricks. The elders are considering a tourist levy just for going there. What's going on here. It's all over the news"

I like cornwall if its extortionate and puts folk off there are many counties in the south that I'm sure will be glad of the extra business

Have they given a reason for thinking about the charge?

There has been a tourist tax in Manchester for over a year but strangely no one makes a fuss about that

By *iltsTSgirlTV/TS 2 weeks ago

Chichester

lets of full republican mode and boycott Cornwall like bud light

By *uri00620Woman 2 weeks ago

Croydon

"The Principality of Corneall, famous for pasties, ice cream, tin mining and it's campaigning for independence is up to it's old tricks. The elders are considering a tourist levy just for going there. What's going on here. It's all over the news

I like cornwall if its extortionate and puts folk off there are many counties in the south that I'm sure will be glad of the extra business

Have they given a reason for thinking about the charge?"

Principally they're saying housing is driving young people out with so many air bnbs making it unaffordable etc.

Also, and perhaps less openly spoken about is the huge deficit in funding the county got from the EU.

By *alm_one4TV/TS 2 weeks ago

RM16

"lets of full republican mode and boycott Cornwall like bud light "

I’m all for visiting Chichester at this particular moment in time.

By *a LunaWoman 2 weeks ago

Southern Wales

Well there’s always Devon. I have never been there and I fancy going.

By *illy IdolMan 2 weeks ago

Somewhere near the middle

"It's all a bit Scilly, Tom."

Wash that Falmouth of yours with soup

By *ony MannMan 2 weeks ago

Ludgershall

Devonshire women are warmer and they sometime pay for cream teas.

By *ictoria_1976TV/TS 2 weeks ago

Newquay

Very rare they have a meter running in the taxis I catch in Cornwall. They give a price when you call, and it's easy to spot the non locals by mispronunciations of place names "

I can categorically call bull shit here- If it hasn't got a meter it's not a licensed taxi.....

(I've driven taxi's & private hire vehicles in Cornwall for 15 years)

By *uminsiderMKMan 2 weeks ago

St Austell

"Have they given a reason for thinking about the charge?"

The main reasoning behind it is to help offset the extra expenses incurred during the tourist season - an estimated 11 million visitors come here over the course of the year...

....the emergency services in particular have to cover an increased volume of calls and attendances to fights, road accidents, medical episodes, fires, etc., etc. - all of which is met out of their day-to-day budgets...

....the County Council has long sought additional government funding for it, without success - so the so-called 'tourist tax' is being proposed instead.

Very rare they have a meter running in the taxis I catch in Cornwall. They give a price when you call, and it's easy to spot the non locals by mispronunciations of place names

I can categorically call bull shit here- If it hasn't got a meter it's not a licensed taxi.....

(I've driven taxi's & private hire vehicles in Cornwall for 15 years)"

I didn't say it hasn't got a meter I said they don't use it, they are very much licensed, but instead of calling bullshit you are more than welcome to come catch a taxi with me hun

By *ong-leggedblondWoman 2 weeks ago

Next Door

Principally they're saying housing is driving young people out with so many air bnbs making it unaffordable etc.

Also, and perhaps less openly spoken about is the huge deficit in funding the county got from the EU."

The house prices and lack of good paid jobs has been an issue for years, that's one of the reasons why I left in the 90s.

By *ssex_tom OP   Man 2 weeks ago

Chelmsford

Also, and perhaps less openly spoken about is the huge deficit in funding the county got from the EU.

The house prices and lack of good paid jobs has been an issue for years, that's one of the reasons why I left in my 90s.

"

Wasn't that a it old to bother leaving ?

By (user no longer on site) 2 weeks ago

Thanet council tried but they do not have the power to. Same as Cornwall council they too will not have the power to enforce it.

By *reative-mindMan 2 weeks ago

Exeter

Personally think we are best to jackhammer cornwall off the end of the UK and just kick it into the sea..... just come to Devon and stay here. Much nicer.

By *ot to giggleWoman 2 weeks ago

Coventry

"That’s ok.

Better innit.

And they put the jam and cream on the scones in the right order "

jam 1st cream on top

By *ames250122Man 2 weeks ago

Worcester

Guess they figured the country could do with a laugh and tbf we probably do. I’m not going to lie either I did actually find it hilarious. All we need now is Western Super Mare saying they will introduce a noise pollution tax after 10pm and the first Brit comedian to pitch it to Netflix has a recorded comedy tour with out even having to write a single joke lol

» Add a new message to this topic