FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > India ....

India ....

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Ever been? Any advice ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Yes. Advice depends in where you are going, where you're staying and who you're going with. I only have direct experience of fairly rural areas so would say make sure you're fully vaccinated, don't drink the water, don't drink or eat anything from roadside vendors and take precautions against malaria. Otherwise just enjoy

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

dont ask for beef

By *extoysareusCouple  over a year ago

kinky heaven

Amazing place definitely an eye opener, travelled alot there, a few years back, where R U going?

"Ever been? Any advice ? "

Be polite, respect religious shrines and enjoy. Its a big country and there is a lot of variance depending on where you go but the majority of people are nice and its culturally and visibly vibrant. The one thing you don't want to do though is hire a car.

By *kywatcherMan  over a year ago

Southwick

Trains are good and plentiful...plan where you want to go...ie Delhi...Bombay (Mumbai)...Madras...foothills of Himalayas are thousands of miles apart so journeys are long and arduous.

However as others have said the travelling is part of the experience...vendors sell their food on train station platforms and most travellers are very friendly if a little smelly so hygiene is important.

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

If the street vendors cook the food in front of you and serve it piping hot then why not eat from them? Some of the best food is street food and you can generally see all the food handling which you can't in a restaurant.

The biggest culture shock is seeing the poor and beggars.

Don't feel obliged to stay 5*, customer service is so good that you'll feel spoilt wherever you stay.

And unless you go to Goa go for a few weeks. Don't over estimate how far you'll be able to travel between placed or you'll spend all your time travelling and little time enjoying each destination.

Am going there in a few weeks for a bit of a wander

was advised to take plenty of antiseptic handwash and use it every time I handled money

also advised to always check the seals on the water bottles have not already been broken.

Other advise already given elsewhere in the thread but If I come across anything that is a must know while I am there I will let you know

The catchphrase 'incredible India', sums it up perfectly!

You need plenty of time, obviously but which parts are you going to? Because the time of year that you go is quite important.

By *ogamuffinMan  over a year ago

slough

All good advice has been mentioned.

Same goes with ice, it'll be from their taps o avoid that

Bottled sealed water always

Carry loo roll, hand cleaner never know when you get caught short...

Keep well hydrated.

Thin clothes at night to reduce getting bitten.

Be safe, have fun and respect everything/everyone...

Ignore the poverty, easier said than done.

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

A mosquito net doesn't take up much space if you're not staying in airconditioned places.

"All good advice has been mentioned.

Keep well hydrated.

Ignore the poverty, easier said than done."

I reckon!! Be prepared for some serious culture shock but in truth, nothing prepares you for that - unless you've experienced it before; but give it a few days!!

"All good advice has been mentioned.

Keep well hydrated.

Ignore the poverty, easier said than done.

I reckon!! Be prepared for some serious culture shock but in truth, nothing prepares you for that - unless you've experienced it before; but give it a few days!! "

this - it took us a week to realise that one pound is a huge amount of money in India so you'll be asked for £1 everywhere you go. Whilst its nothing to us, until you realise how valuable it is you haven't really adjusted. We only went for two weeks but spent more in the first three days on bad haggling / tips and the wrong restaurants (the food is incredible you don't need to pay much at all) than we did altogether on the rest of the holiday. You'll have an amazing time

The states of Kerala & Himachal Pradesh are easily my favourites but they could hardly be further apart - & the former is perfect to visit at this time of year but it's the worst time for the former; you've got to do some planning, that's for sure!

But it's brilliant & for some, a life changing experience. Enjoy!!

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I agree that if the food is cooked in front of you its fine I was referring to the guy at the side of a rural road with a bucket of water and some fruit or some food.

By *exySwing3rsCouple  over a year ago

In Your Hearts

It's a wonderful country and you will probably have a great time.

Be very streetwise and keep your wits about at all times.

The prices for tourist almost doubles. Always bargain, bargain and bargain. Don't be embarrassed as it's a way of life there.

As someone has already mentioned, the pound goes a long way. Food and transport is cheap but trains and can be chaotic - still the best way to see the country.

Allow plenty of time for everything. Life there can be at snail's pace but that's part of the fun.

Enjoy, enjoy and enjoy some more

Southwick

Just spoke to sister...avoid roads at all costs.

She was out in Delhi training call centre staff for American Express. ...driving back in a taxi the car in front drove into a hole in the road and disappeared. No elf and safety apparently and holes just left with no warning signs etc

They've an incredible rail system - the best way of getting around & for photo opportunities; - the things you see!!!

Southwick

I'm eating in a Bangladeshi restaurant/cafe later this evening.

Raj in Durrington (Worthing)...went in one cold and wet Sunday night two weeks ago.

The owner cooked some special food for me put a heater in the restaurant even though I was the only customer. Then drives me to my hotel in Worthing not wanting anything. I invited Raj in for a drink exchanged numbers after putting the world to right and I'm eating over there with partner tonight. The food is beyond belief. ..it has a sister shop in the parade of shops at the bottom of the hill where I live which I'd become a regular customer of...takeaway only...

It's awesome to have a local Indian where the foods delicimo - the spice of life.......

Southwick

"It's awesome to have a local Indian where the foods delicimo - the spice of life......."

It is the best spicy food...also heavily into Mexican Thai Vietnam Central American Tunisian and most of north Africa...partner is Tunisian...in Brighton we have more redtaurants than London per head of population. ..

Friend of mine went with his gf, lost their money and passports within an hour of landing, then he got a bug and lost 2 stone (in weight) out of his bottom. The rucksack's they had on had the straps cut with knives and as they stepped up into a train the bags stayed behind then disappeared into the crowd..

Southwick

Redtaurants. ..really autocarrot you can do better...

Southwick

[Removed by poster at 30/12/13 13:11:48]

"Friend of mine went with his gf, lost their money and passports within an hour of landing, then he got a bug and lost 2 stone (in weight) out of his bottom. The rucksack's they had on had the straps cut with knives and as they stepped up into a train the bags stayed behind then disappeared into the crowd.."
you'd never leave you're own home if you just concentrated on the bad stories; - I traveled the subcontinent for four months & the biggest problem was shaking of the well wishers!!

.....but stomach problems are the norm, I grant you!!

kinky heaven

expect to be stared at, which makes a lot of people uncomfortable

Southwick

"Friend of mine went with his gf, lost their money and passports within an hour of landing, then he got a bug and lost 2 stone (in weight) out of his bottom. The rucksack's they had on had the straps cut with knives and as they stepped up into a train the bags stayed behind then disappeared into the crowd.."

Travellers rather than tourists...usually have no trouble. ..keep wits about you you should be ok.

I was 26 working in Saudi Arabia as an accountant travelled the world for free as I organised company air tickets...adventures in Mexico USA Canada Thailand Singapore Philippines Singapore Djibouti Egypt etc...experience helps. ..

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Thanks 4 all the advice! I'm off in 2 weeks travelling all over! Hoping to go 4 months

kinky heaven

Goa gokarna Hampi, pushka, varanassi, manali kulu valley, dehli, agra, darjelling all stunning places to go

» Add a new message to this topic