FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Lowest since 1969

Lowest since 1969

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

Teenage pregnancy rates in England and Wales is the lowest it has ever been since the rate started to be recorded in 1969.

While it is still higher than most of our northern European neighbours the trend has been going down since the last Labour government's changes to sexual education, information and planning started to bear fruit 5 years ago.

Do we finally have the evidence that sex education works?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

[Removed by poster at 25/02/14 17:56:16]

Give it another 5 years, and if the trend does continue... In short, yes.

Most kids these days wanna play with there x box or playstation rather then get there end away

It's made me wonder what does change societal attitudes ...how we go from conservatism to liberal and back again.... I wonder where on the spectrum we are...and if there's a gladwellian tipping point..

As with any social trend, it's difficult (though, perhaps not impossible) to distinguish between cause and correlation...

Any changes to benefits/ council housing for teenage mums? Some girls get pregnant to get accomodation...

By *iewMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Angus & Findhorn

that is good news

Schools have peer educators in our borough. They show them just how difficult it is to be a teenage parent. Boys and girls take part. It's an eye opener for them

"Teenage pregnancy rates in England and Wales is the lowest it has ever been since the rate started to be recorded in 1969.

While it is still higher than most of our northern European neighbours the trend has been going down since the last Labour government's changes to sexual education, information and planning started to bear fruit 5 years ago.

"

#started to bear fruit; I see what you did there!

"

"

I have the solution to make it even lower:

If schools start calling the Vagina a "Crevice" teenage pregnancy rates will drastically drop.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

[Removed by poster at 25/02/14 18:43:50]

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

Maybe its the onesie trend, can't get inside those buggers

"

If schools start calling the Vagina a "Crevice" teenage pregnancy rates will drastically drop. "

as if that would make a difference

By *ornieandhotCouple  over a year ago

Peterborough

"Any changes to benefits/ council housing for teenage mums? Some girls get pregnant to get accomodation..."

In the late 80's early 90's lots of councils decided to not house girls under 18 unless staying with parents left them at risk

This may have helped lower it

"

If schools start calling the Vagina a "Crevice" teenage pregnancy rates will drastically drop.

as if that would make a difference "

Yeah as if that might have actually been tongue in cheek?...

**bangs head on table twice**

By *nnyMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

"Most kids these days wanna play with there x box or playstation rather then get there end away"

That's the real question.

Are teenagers having less sex or are they having less unprotected sex ?

By *odareyouMan  over a year ago

not far from iceland,,,,,, tescos is nearer though :-) (near leeds)

They used my face picture, having unprotected sex could lead to this,,

Prohibition never works, knowledge and education

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

It's great to hear the rate is falling, but I'm sceptical that education is the only or even primary factor...... dare I say the lack of social housing has had a significant impact.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Teenage pregnancy rates in England and Wales is the lowest it has ever been since the rate started to be recorded in 1969.

"

Possibly but the first generation of single parents who were accepted by society have children of child bearing age now and they will have seen the struggle their parents had, maybe its that serving as a warning.

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

"Most kids these days wanna play with there x box or playstation rather then get there end away

That's the real question.

Are teenagers having less sex or are they having less unprotected sex ?"

Teenagers aren't having less sex from what I can see, its accepted that if a couple are "seeing each other" that they will be having sex. Contraception is freely available in schools and FE colleges and it is becoming less acceptable among teenagers themselves to become a single parent.

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"It's great to hear the rate is falling, but I'm sceptical that education is the only or even primary factor...... dare I say the lack of social housing has had a significant impact."

Oi Polo, your Random Status Generator is needed in the forums tonight

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"It's great to hear the rate is falling, but I'm sceptical that education is the only or even primary factor...... dare I say the lack of social housing has had a significant impact.

Oi Polo, your Random Status Generator is needed in the forums tonight "

Unfortunately, Random Productions has gone into administration and in need of a £20million bailout.

All donations and private investors welcome.

"It's great to hear the rate is falling, but I'm sceptical that education is the only or even primary factor...... dare I say the lack of social housing has had a significant impact."

There isn't just more sex education in schools now, there is information everywhere for kids to access. When I was a teenager I'd have to get a book out of the library to find out anything about sex (as if I'd check that book out!). These days they just go online. Also condoms are freely and anonymously available (where I live anyway) and that's a large barrier removed. How many teenagers in the past had the money and the nerve to go and buy them?

By *essiCouple  over a year ago

suffolk

As Micky Flannagan would say ...Oi Oi has the art of titting up a girl has returned.....

By *taffsfella1Man  over a year ago

Newcastle-under-Lyme

Didn't MTV start showing 16 and Pregnant about 5 years ago?

By *icketysplits OP   Woman  over a year ago

Way over Yonder, that's where I'm bound

There was a report on Woman's Hour this morning where sexual health advisors were saying it was a 10 year programme (ending in 2010) and it took about five years before there was any real traction.

Making information available anywhere and everywhere, having a co-ordinated local approach and having young people only sessions at GUMs etc. seems to make a difference.

I haven't seen a teenage parent in a while and I live in one of the areas of the country that used to have very high rates of teenage pregnancies.

The heartening thing in the report is that these are the pregnancy rates, which includes any that then go on to miscarry or termination so abortion is not being used as retro-contraceptive.

"It's great to hear the rate is falling, but I'm sceptical that education is the only or even primary factor...... dare I say the lack of social housing has had a significant impact.

"

I'd say no to that. Not entirely but I'm not sure that not all girls get pregnant just to move out of their homes

I think it is more to do with education and awareness not just pregnancies but safe sex as well I know I am more open with my girls than my mum was with me. I know they can come and talk to me. Its not just teen pregnancies but stds in young people that are going down which can only be a good thing x

» Add a new message to this topic