FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Any Tips on saving petrol?

Any Tips on saving petrol?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *UNCHBOX OP   Man  over a year ago

folkestone

With the price of filling your car getting more expensive, has anyone got any good tips on saving fuel?.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *empnbunkCouple  over a year ago

south coast

could try gettin a taxi or bus lol

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

sell your car

By *heekychezzaWoman  over a year ago

warrington

start walking

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

Fit a wind turbine onto the roof of your car, just avoid low bridges and tunnels.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Buty a diesel

By *ouvakMan  over a year ago

clacton on sea

"With the price of filling your car getting more expensive, has anyone got any good tips on saving fuel?. "

don't use the car buy a motorbike, you'll spend less time in traffic jams, get to appointments on time, enjoy the pleasure of the feeling of freedom, and get more miles to the smile, sorry gallon, and of course do less damage to the environment and road surface's too and wont pay congestion charges or tolls on some roads

Also with a bike you don't have to empty the ash tray

clacton on sea

"Also with a bike you don't have to empty the ash tray "

and there's the add'd bonus of those lovely lady bumps pressed firmly into your back, and tight leathers too,,,,,,,,, I'm off for a cold shower, BRB lol

By *leasureDomeMan  over a year ago

all over the place

"With the price of filling your car getting more expensive, has anyone got any good tips on saving fuel?. "

Fill your car 2/3rd full never full and do it early in the morning when the air temp is cooler (it makes a slight difference).Also take every thing non essential out of the car,make sure tyres are at right pressure ,turn off aircon when not needed and the main thing is ..think ahead ,dont accelerate and brake unnecessarily.

When the last petrol strike was on i got an extra 20mpg just by thinking more about my driving ,but it is tough you really have to concentrate far harder than ususal. If you really want to save long term and you use petrol look at having a conversion to lpg done its about 1600 quid, but with prices as they are, you will get that back in a about 18months and then fuel drops to around 60 p a litre ,if diesal go for the chip fat or biofuel option,dont know much about that stuff tho .

good luck

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

Keep your speed down

My car has a trip which tells you how many miles it will do on the amount of fuel you have in it.

When I tank it says roughly 360 miles, but with careful driving I get between 450 and 500 miles to the tank, purely by watching mny speed and keeping it constant whenever possible and as PD says think ahead

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

"Fill your car 2/3rd full never full and do it early in the morning when the air temp is cooler (it makes a slight difference).Also take every thing non essential out of the car,make sure tyres are at right pressure ,turn off aircon when not needed and the main thing is ..think ahead ,dont accelerate and brake unnecessarily.

When the last petrol strike was on i got an extra 20mpg just by thinking more about my driving "

All of your advice is very sensible, but I have to question the 20mpg figure. Do you mean 20%?

The reason I ask is that my car's maximum mpg (according to Ford) is 36mpg. I get a little above that despite my car being 10 years old now, by being careful in some of the ways you describe. But when I drove in a more "regular" way, I still got around 30mpg. In order to get an improvement of 20mpg, I'd have to have been driving like an absolute imbecile.

And since you're not an imbecile...I asked the question.

clacton on sea

"Fill your car 2/3rd full never full and do it early in the morning when the air temp is cooler (it makes a slight difference).Also take every thing non essential out of the car,make sure tyres are at right pressure ,turn off aircon when not needed and the main thing is ..think ahead ,dont accelerate and brake unnecessarily.

When the last petrol strike was on i got an extra 20mpg just by thinking more about my driving

All of your advice is very sensible, but I have to question the 20mpg figure. Do you mean 20%?

The reason I ask is that my car's maximum mpg (according to Ford) is 36mpg. I get a little above that despite my car being 10 years old now, by being careful in some of the ways you describe. But when I drove in a more "regular" way, I still got around 30mpg. In order to get an improvement of 20mpg, I'd have to have been driving like an absolute imbecile.

And since you're not an imbecile...I asked the question. "

perhaps he's free-wheeling down hills lol

When the last petrol strike was on i got an extra 20mpg just by thinking more about my driving

And since you're not an imbecile...I asked the question. perhaps he's free-wheeling down hills lol "

And pushing it up the other side

...which still won't make you 20mpg.

"...which still won't make you 20mpg."

Well i get 30 out of mine when i take it easy. If i go to a track day i get 12 mpg so it just doesn't fit because everyone isn't shagging the arse off their car normally

find a long length of hose, a 5 gallon gerry can and a packed supermarket carpark "wink" "wink" lol....

Joking of course! so please don't take my advice

By *pecial bbCouple  over a year ago

london

dont use the car

"dont use the car "

A little easier when you have a complete public transport system.

An electric scooter??

By *ouple1234Couple  over a year ago

BELFAST UK

well i do 9miles till gallon any tips there on how to save, and remember it is a scooby so driving easy is not the case lol

Have a look here (it's a safe link, hope that's ok with the mod mafia ).

It finds the cheapest petrol pumps in your area, just tap in your postcode...

http://www.petrolprices.com/

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

drive less! LoL

By *arnaclebillMan  over a year ago

Robin Hood County

Sell the bloody car then you won't have to fillit up

Correct tyre pressure and drive as low rev as you can.

By *leasureDomeMan  over a year ago

all over the place

And since you're not an imbecile...I asked the question. "

it was letting the car gradually increase speed without acceleration ,everything turned off and i mean everything ,it was not to save money it was purely because fuel was not available.

It was the highest jump i ever achieved one long trip bham to london in the early hours of the morning 3 litre engine with half a tank onboard and no additional weight. I went from 36mpg normal to 56 by the time i left the M1

but it was boring as hell. and dropped as soon as i started to hit islands and traffic lights etc not a mean average

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Northants

Our BMW Diesel is averaging around 47mpg. We don't drive slow at all, in fact we drive at 80 on motorways and on a run can still get 51/52 mpg!

While I can accept that not all cars of this size will be that economical, it is very easy to improve on what you get!

My Jaguar Diesel (2.2 ford engine) is currently averaging around 43mpg, but I do have an EGR problem at the moment. The EGR valve injects a small amount of exhaust gas into the cylinders and is not a reliable piece of equipment. If your diesel car seems to misfire and black smoke comes out of the back on acceleration, perhaps it is time to clean it out.

Drive smooth! That is it, no magic bullet, no driving like a vicar, no upsetting those who want to get a lick on. Harsh acceleration will burn fuel fast but steady, not slow speedups will get you there almost as quick. Being in the correct gear is also important.

Drive with the car properly seviced, not just engine, brakes too... Badly adjusted brakes or tired componants could cause binding and an increase in consumption.

Bio-Diesel... Be very carefull if you think of this option! Also the old chip oil option... Most modern cars up to early 2009 (and some after) don't like it and can be damaged if used. Make sure you read you handbook or check online before you top up.

Petrol Prices .com... All very good but we find they are a bit behind when prices are changing rapidly and great i you want to see what prices were yesterday!

Most of all, whatever you get make sure you enjoy it! I found that when I started to save money by driving differently, I enjoyed it more. And believe me, I don't drive slow!

By *ick and tockCouple  over a year ago

wigan

get your self some more plates made drive on to a petrol station when u get out made sure your hat right down over your face and allways use the pump away from them fill right up to the brim and forget to pay then u will drive for free

And since you're not an imbecile...I asked the question.

it was letting the car gradually increase speed without acceleration ,everything turned off and i mean everything ,it was not to save money it was purely because fuel was not available.

It was the highest jump i ever achieved one long trip bham to london in the early hours of the morning 3 litre engine with half a tank onboard and no additional weight. I went from 36mpg normal to 56 by the time i left the M1

but it was boring as hell. and dropped as soon as i started to hit islands and traffic lights etc not a mean average"

OK, so it was a oneoff in ideal conditions over a short distance.

» Add a new message to this topic