FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Can a cat forget where it lives?

Can a cat forget where it lives?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

A cute little one from up the road seems to have adopted us and is here constantly

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

I had every cat in town at my door cats adopt owners all the time

By *unky monkeyMan  over a year ago

in the night garden

You will find it has a tour it does every day to every house that is nice to it.

Pussy got game.

Damn

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

a kitten or young cat can forget were it lives if its not kept indoors long enough, but if it was happy in there old neighbourhood they will return if its not happy in its new home x

Yes, they can get disorientated by simple changes to their route, e.g. a hedge that gets cut, plus will choose a new home if they find it more comfortable e.g. the right amount of warmth and attention.

As an owner of many many cats, i can tell you, every cat is different. Male cats in particular do like to rome quite alot.Something at the cats home may have changed, hence he has adopted you?

we had a new kitten, causing one of our very loyal cars, to leave home and just occasionally pop in, for over a year xx

Yes, next doors cat seems to prefer us at the moment. He's really old so we all suspect he's gone senile. I'm just hoping our neighbour doesn't want to share the vet bills as well.

Its asleep on my lap right now,if it not on my squishy back room sofa its in the garden all day,its waiting at the doors,it cries to be let in,its owners know where it is as I was a bit worried they may have thought it was missing so I phoned them up,they didn't seem too bothered

My cat thinks every house on the street belongs to him. My neighbours often send me pics of our cat asleep on their beds etc

Its cute,its friendly but I don't want total responsibility,im not grown up enough for a pet

hertfordshire

once had four young cats adopt me ... found where they lived but they prefered me

"My cat thinks every house on the street belongs to him. My neighbours often send me pics of our cat asleep on their beds etc"

Haha that makes me feel a bit better

"My cat thinks every house on the street belongs to him. My neighbours often send me pics of our cat asleep on their beds etc

Haha that makes me feel a bit better "

He always comes home for dinner though......if he hasn't stolen it from elsewhere, so I wouldn't worry about it.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I always thought that whilst people have a pet dog, a cat has pet humans

By *dam_TinaCouple  over a year ago

Hampshire

When I was a kid my cat had kittens on my friend down the roads bed.

It became a sort of shared moggy in the end

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

Cats do sometimes completely change owners though - I have had several cats who just 'moved in'.

Two of my Sisters cats dissapear for days on end. She just shrugs and says they will be back. And they do

By *emmefataleWoman  over a year ago

dirtybigbadsgirlville

Cats never forget where they live, but frequently lodge elsewhere

I know one of my cats visits a little old lady up the road, as she gives her fresh chicken.

My sister's cat belonged to another family, however she spent more and more time at my sister's. In the end the owners said that my sis should keep her. She's moved since & the cat moved with her. I think cats are never owned - but decide where they're happiest to live.

By *ee VianteWoman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

"Its cute,its friendly but I don't want total responsibility,im not grown up enough for a pet "

If the cat has decided you are its human, you may not get much choice!

Some cats decide they don't want to live somewhere and choose a place more to their liking.

i live in a cat friendly neighbourhood and am visited frequently by lots of cats and am assured that mine does his fair share if visiting also

My ex bf's cousin and his wife were adopted by their cat.

The cat decided it didn't like where it was living and moved. The cousin put up posters and the cat was returned several times. Finally they all gave up and it was decided the cat would get its own way.

They can be determined little critters.

I have a "shared ownership" kitty. He has at least 3 homes in the village. If it wasn't for the fact he was born in my spare room and his mother and sister are still here I'd deny all knowledge of the traitorous beastie. One of his other "mummies" was good enough to get him neutered however. We had his appointment all ready too.....

"Its cute,its friendly but I don't want total responsibility,im not grown up enough for a pet "

Hahaha I don't think you are going to get a choice.....you have been chosen

By *leasures4Couple  over a year ago

East midlands

We too have a tom cat that is spending lots of time at our home.

He looks like he's been sleeping in the hedges and a bit disgruntled and quite thin. I began to feed it once a day so I know its at least had one good meal a day. He sleeps on our doorstep and can be around up to 6 hours at a time. He is never away for more than an hour or so (through the night we obviously have no idea where he is).

We will be moving house in a few months so are faced with if to take him with us or not. We wouldn't want to take him from his owner if he has one, but also don't want to leave him behind if he is homeless...

My cat went missing once for three weeks, he came back not Hungry I reckon he has another spot or two.

Her

"We too have a tom cat that is spending lots of time at our home.

He looks like he's been sleeping in the hedges and a bit disgruntled and quite thin. I began to feed it once a day so I know its at least had one good meal a day. He sleeps on our doorstep and can be around up to 6 hours at a time. He is never away for more than an hour or so (through the night we obviously have no idea where he is).

We will be moving house in a few months so are faced with if to take him with us or not. We wouldn't want to take him from his owner if he has one, but also don't want to leave him behind if he is homeless... "

Put up posters asking if he belongs to anyone. Take him to a vet to check if he is micro-chipped.

By *leasures4Couple  over a year ago

East midlands

Ahh...i forgot about the microchips! Brilliant...thanks

Will try the posters too.

"a kitten or young cat can forget were it lives if its not kept indoors long enough, but if it was happy in there old neighbourhood they will return if its not happy in its new home x "

Damn that young pussy!! The only way to deal with a disobedient pussy is to lock it up in the house!

Did I just read that right?

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

My two are on lockdown in the house!

The traitorous pair keep making New best friends and trying to climb into handbags and luggage but they're staying whether they like it or not!

Signed commandant of Stalag Tempting!

"Ahh...i forgot about the microchips! Brilliant...thanks

Will try the posters too. "

Just a warning but if anyone comes to claim him, get them to show you photos to verify he's theirs.

Some people pick up stray and "free to a good home" cats for seriously unpleasant purposes.

Never. That's why they shit in everyone else's gardens .

I seem to have become an adopted home for this ginger cat. He started to visit a couple of weeks ago and didn't want him thinking this was his new home as he does look in good condition and must belong to someone. I left a box out which I was going to put in the car but he has decided it is his bed. I don't allow him in the house as I already have one cat and am not taking responsibility for another.

If he is still here in a few weeks,I will put a poster on the gate to see if anyone claims him.

Paraphrasing a song sums it up nicely i think,

" wherever i lay my cat, thats my home"

you may choose the cat as a pet but ultimately the cat chooses who they want to live with....

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

Have you fed it anything?

By *ophieslutTV/TS  over a year ago

Central

Cats are not stupid and will happily let many people adopt them, if it suits them. If there is not compelling attachment to a home then an alternative will be a reasonable option to explore.

"Cats are not stupid and will happily let many people adopt them, if it suits them. If there is not compelling attachment to a home then an alternative will be a reasonable option to explore. "

i think im a cat

hertfordshire

cats beware .. tom cat adopted next door cat cut his leg so while he was under getting that fixed the vet debollocked him!!!

By *ighland_RoseCouple  over a year ago

Brigadoon

"Its asleep on my lap right now,if it not on my squishy back room sofa its in the garden all day,its waiting at the doors,it cries to be let in,its owners know where it is as I was a bit worried they may have thought it was missing so I phoned them up,they didn't seem too bothered"

"They didn't seem too bothered" I think that's your answer, you are nicer to be with. Cat's don't have undying devotion to people no matter how they are treated, if they find a better home they will take it.

By *ighland_RoseCouple  over a year ago

Brigadoon

"We too have a tom cat that is spending lots of time at our home.

We will be moving house in a few months so are faced with if to take him with us or not. We wouldn't want to take him from his owner if he has one, but also don't want to leave him behind if he is homeless... "

You can buy a fob to hang on a collar in which you can leave a note to the potential other owner. Ask them to call you and let you know if the cat has a home. If you get no call take him with you.

By *al2001Man  over a year ago

kildare

Im sure theres goofball cats like theres goofball people,like me for instance

i once drove to my old house after picking up takeaway indian ,i hadnt lived their for over a year

We have 2 female cats, and then we have all the other cats that visit from 1st to last light, it's like a half way house for cats, but we give them all treats and feed the odd 1 or 2

By *radleyandRavenCouple  over a year ago

Herts

We were adopted by our last cat. He belonged to our neighbour but came over one day and just decided to stay. Tried sending him back multiple times but he wasn't having any of it. In the end my neighbour just said "He's obviously happier with you so if you wish and if you're happy to, you can keep him".

Dogs have owners, cats have pet humans.

- Amy. x

I have fed him but not every day, just now and then. He now trusts me and is very gentle and affectionate, but I do not allow him in the house no matter how hard he tries to get in.

Will keep asking if anyone knows where he might live.

» Add a new message to this topic