FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Budget tomorrow

Budget tomorrow

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

What is everyone expecting from the coallition party.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *leasureDomeMan  over a year ago

all over the place

"What is everyone expecting from the coallition party."

liberal uturns ....a plenty and not much else

By *ig badMan  over a year ago

Up North :-)

20% VAT

By *i 1 Get 1 FreeCouple (MM)  over a year ago

birmingham

Trouble ahead!

By *oe_Steve_NWestCouple  over a year ago

Bolton

Bend over and grab your legs cos this is gonna hurt

Steve

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

hope they dont start taxing shagging lol

By *ig badMan  over a year ago

Up North :-)

Well its going to hurt most of us but i am sure its the public sector that's going to get hit hardest.

By *uton_coupleCouple  over a year ago

luton

they should be expecting what they very recently voted for in the general election

having said that if i cast my mind back none of the partys actually said what it was they were going to do in there first major budget

just remembered why i dont vote

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"What is everyone expecting from the coallition party.

20% VAT "

I honestly wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it went up to 22.5%.. but thats me...

Vat's going up so will Cap Gains... the interesting thing tomorrow will be is they start on the lib dem policy of raising the individual allowance towards the 10K mark... which is in the colalition agreement...

It's going to hurt, but for those of us that work and own our homes when doesn't it hurt?!!

Well that wasn't as painful as I was expecting. No rise on fuel, boozxe or cigs but it's rare they do rise in an emergency budget, they're usually saved for the big one.

It's hard to reconcile all those who claimed that the Tories are the party for the rich when the rich were hit the hardest today. Ok, a vat rise affects everyone but some claim it hurts the poorest the most - it doesn't. The rich buy more so pay more. Nobody can believe that if someone earns £100k/year that they save 85% of that, they don't, they spend a lot of it, and more beyond, so they'll pay more in vat.

I think this was a fair budget: the rich will pay more than they do AND have some loopholes closed, and all but the absolute poorest will also pay a little bit more to dig us out of the hole Brown/Blair put us in. I can't argue with any of today's budget tbh.

Well done George!

"What is everyone expecting from the coallition party.

20% VAT

I honestly wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it went up to 22.5%.. but thats me...

Vat's going up so will Cap Gains... the interesting thing tomorrow will be is they start on the lib dem policy of raising the individual allowance towards the 10K mark... which is in the colalition agreement..."

vat up by not as much as you thought Fab, and they did honour their election promise and made a start towards the £10k tax free floor. I'm starting to think this coalition is based on honesty, I was sceptical before but knew Labour were lying - I do feel somewhat vindicated in voting for the tories now, to my relief.

Well i say this----

EVERYONE WAS FAR BETTER UNDER LABOUR I WILL TELL YA N MY FAMILY WILL TELL YA TOO!

under cons n liberals (col party) its f-ing shit!

I wont benefit from fuck all they got to offer or my family.

So remember this----

if u car has a £100 failure on summat it will cost u now £120!!

Rich people get f-ing richer,,,poor get poorer!

tut tut i say,,huh.

"Well i say this----

EVERYONE WAS FAR BETTER UNDER LABOUR I WILL TELL YA N MY FAMILY WILL TELL YA TOO!

So remember this----

tut tut i say,,huh. "

What utter nonsense. If Labour had remianed in power you would have to pay for it sooner or later as they were borrowing way more than they could afford, and money isn't free. Would you rather have a government like that of Greece?

Wake up and smell the roses pal. Labour fucked us - all of us.

only thing i've seen so far that i dont agree with is scrapping the plan to means test child benefit. We were made to claim it when little one was born but feel like theiving gits as we dont actually need it, or want hand outs. Them credit things are means tested, why not child benefit? If you take home 50k plus you're not going to miss £18 p/w.

Rant over

There have been instances where people have tried to give back such benefits as they didn't want them but were told no mechanism existed to accept refunds. I'd have given it to charity or saved it for my child for later in life if that was the case. I never turn down free money lol.

"There have been instances where people have tried to give back such benefits as they didn't want them but were told no mechanism existed to accept refunds. I'd have given it to charity or saved it for my child for later in life if that was the case. I never turn down free money lol."

Thats what we've done, just increased standing order into little ones account - on the flip side, another government in 20 years will probably screw it back off him anyhow.

"There have been instances where people have tried to give back such benefits as they didn't want them but were told no mechanism existed to accept refunds. I'd have given it to charity or saved it for my child for later in life if that was the case. I never turn down free money lol."

What utter nonsense. If conservative will remianed in power you would have to pay for it sooner or later as they were borrowing way more than they could afford, and money isn't free. Would you rather have a government like that of Greece?

Wake up and smell the coffee pal. conservative will fucked us - all of us

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

It's not now that the real pain will come, it's on the 20th of October when public services are expected to see 25% cuts in their budgets, this was not the Strategic Spending Review today, it was simply the Tax Income Review and the first stage of the Benefits Review.

As regards VAT, it is widely recognised amongst learned financial bodies that VAT is a regressive tax that affects the poor more than it does the wealthy.

Allow me to give you a simple example, if I sell a customer some chocolate in my shop this afternoon then it is seen as a luxury item and VAT is added and collected by the government accordingly...if however I sell the same customer a £300 pot of Caviar (I don't sell caviar by the way) then the government do not class that as a luxury item and no VAT is charged or collected.

Many of the wealthy use small companies to reclaim the VAT they spend on goods that the average man in the street cannot freely do...

Bill Jones the Refuse Collector who earns around £18k a year buys a much needed fridge to keep his families food cool and he pays Vat and cannot claim it back

Bill Jones the local Car Showroom owner who earns £100k a year can claim the Vat on the fridge he buys for his house back through his business.

That is all to often the real world of Vat in the UK.

"Well i say this----

So remember this----

tut tut i say,,huh. "

Oh right lol so the fact that my business thrived under a Tory government and i had a fairly good income off it

And then under labour it dwindled slowly to nothing was good then??

2rite! lol

" Oh right lol so the fact that my business thrived under a Tory government and i had a fairly good income off it

And then under labour it dwindled slowly to nothing was good then?? "

Not good at all, unless the decline was directly liked to time spent in bath and chatrooms

Yeah spent in bath and chatrooms:

I LIKE A NICE BATH,,,,I LIKE CHATROOMS,,,BUT WHICH IS BETTER??--

only 1 way to find out

FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" Oh right lol so the fact that my business thrived under a Tory government and i had a fairly good income off it

And then under labour it dwindled slowly to nothing was good then??

Not good at all, unless the decline was directly liked to time spent in bath and chatrooms "

Lol i must admit i have more free time now but it don't pay the bills unfortunately xx

why 20 pound more to fix your car?The increase is 2.5% per hundredIf your bill was 100 plus vat at moment 117.5 will be 120

We as a country have been living beond our means and still are after this budget

By *andcCouple  over a year ago

Cheshire and London

"Well i say this----

So remember this----

tut tut i say,,huh. "

What Bollox....

If someone buys a £100 tv he pays £20 VAT

if someone buys a £200 tv he pays £40 vat, he pays double tax!

So the more you spend the more you pay.

So if your skint and buy a Nissan Micra you pay a lot less than the rich guy(or woman..lol)buying an Aston Martin!

Also if you're fiddling the system and working as, say a brick layer or taxi driver while claiming benefits, there's no way out of paying this tax! seems fair to me

"It's not now that the real pain will come, it's on the 20th of October when public services are expected to see 25% cuts in their budgets, this was not the Strategic Spending Review today, it was simply the Tax Income Review and the first stage of the Benefits Review.

As regards VAT, it is widely recognised amongst learned financial bodies that VAT is a regressive tax that affects the poor more than it does the wealthy.

Allow me to give you a simple example, if I sell a customer some chocolate in my shop this afternoon then it is seen as a luxury item and VAT is added and collected by the government accordingly...if however I sell the same customer a £300 pot of Caviar (I don't sell caviar by the way) then the government do not class that as a luxury item and no VAT is charged or collected.

Many of the wealthy use small companies to reclaim the VAT they spend on goods that the average man in the street cannot freely do...

Bill Jones the Refuse Collector who earns around £18k a year buys a much needed fridge to keep his families food cool and he pays Vat and cannot claim it back

Bill Jones the local Car Showroom owner who earns £100k a year can claim the Vat on the fridge he buys for his house back through his business.

That is all to often the real world of Vat in the UK.

"

How many people eat caviar anyway! It's fookin disgusting! I'm sure George won't miss the couple of grand he would have made by taxing caviar, but as for chocolate, maybe by putting a bit more vat on it Mrs Chav won't feed her fat brood of Carjackers too much chocolate thus reducing the health bill somewhat as they'll be thinner and healthier hehehe..

Seriously though, where was Osbourne supposed to make these cuts and make them as fair as possible?

By Reducing high income earners to low income earners by taxing the crap out of them, whilst leaving everyone else as they were? That's hardly fair.

We all knew it would be hard but I think it's not been as hard as it could have been. And yes, maybe there are fursther hardships to face before we start to see daylight again, but the blame for it can be laid solely at the feet of the last government. There can no longer be any doubt about that and anyone who deines it is simply living in cloud cuckoo land.

"why 20 pound more to fix your car?The increase is 2.5% per hundredIf your bill was 100 plus vat at moment 117.5 will be 120

We as a country have been living beond our means and still are after this budget "

wotever keeps u happy! but u be sorry in a few years time-----unemployment,,,,work places go under,,,massive bills,,etc etc list is endless,,,dont come crying to me any of u lot,,,dont say i didnt warn u!!

"why 20 pound more to fix your car?The increase is 2.5% per hundredIf your bill was 100 plus vat at moment 117.5 will be 120

We as a country have been living beond our means and still are after this budget

wotever keeps u happy! but u be sorry in a few years time-----unemployment,,,,work places go under,,,massive bills,,etc etc list is endless,,,dont come crying to me any of u lot,,,dont say i didnt warn u!! "

Ooohh Thats a real improvement on now then xxx

"There have been instances where people have tried to give back such benefits as they didn't want them but were told no mechanism existed to accept refunds. I'd have given it to charity or saved it for my child for later in life if that was the case. I never turn down free money lol.

What utter nonsense. If conservative will remianed in power you would have to pay for it sooner or later as they were borrowing way more than they could afford, and money isn't free. Would you rather have a government like that of Greece?

Wake up and smell the coffee pal. conservative will fucked us - all of us

"

That just about sums you up pal. You can't forumlate an argument of your own so you reverse engineer someone else's.

as usual an unrealistic argument put forward by you .yes chocs are a luxery item food stuffs are not how much would be raised from taxing caviar ? Should cod's row be taxed ? get real ! an lets get all asylum seekers an immigrants sent to Torbay!!!!!!!!!!

"as usual an unrealistic argument put forward by you .yes chocs are a luxery item food stuffs are not how much would be raised from taxing caviar ? Should cod's row be taxed ? get real ! an lets get all asylum seekers an immigrants sent to Torbay!!!!!!!!!!"

yeah here here!! 100% i agree.

wishy b4 you start jumping up an down that was in answer to jane !

Torquay

"as usual an unrealistic argument put forward by you .yes chocs are a luxery item food stuffs are not how much would be raised from taxing caviar ? Should cod's row be taxed ? get real ! an lets get all asylum seekers an immigrants sent to Torbay!!!!!!!!!!"

What a load of rubbish, the truth is that under the current Vat ratings there is a blanket zero Vat on childrens clothing.....that is the case if the item is a 99p childrens T Shirt from Asda or a £200 childs dress out of a posh childrens clothing shop in the Kings Road in Chelsea.

Vat is regressive because of such facts, and before the old green eyed monster kicks in....Torbay has it's fair share of Immigrants and asylum seekers, you need to read up on your facts.

If i was in power to the whole uk and i was in the goverment,,,,,Id make everyones lifes so much easier,,,

1,,,bills nice n cheap

2,,,cars cheaper to buy(plus buy 1 get 1 free on cars)

3,,,free beer with food

4,,,buy 1 get 1 free on holidays

5,,,all shops sells items 4 people that can afford it --ie ---new tv at £200

6,,,all schools have same holidays

7,,,scrap VAT on everything.

there u go im a nice guy after all.

"wishy b4 you start jumping up an down that was in answer to jane !"

Yes, I can tell who is replying to whom. Unlike some others who need it spelled out for them.

"wishy b4 you start jumping up an down that was in answer to jane !

Yes, I can tell who is replying to whom. Unlike some others who need it spelled out for them."

u do know how to spell dont u?

"wishy b4 you start jumping up an down that was in answer to jane !

Yes, I can tell who is replying to whom. Unlike some others who need it spelled out for them.

u do know how to spell dont u? "

I think you'll find my above post to be grammatically perfect.

hehehehehehehehe 2rite! loving it.

im here!! i know you all been waitin with baited breath.....

child benefit frozen load of tosh should have had the balls to say if you earn over say 60k a yr you really dont need it!

baby element of tax credits goin at the time when it costs you more for the little sods!

reduction in child tax credit if you earn over 40 k sounds sensible to me!

vat at 20% unsure as yes its been proven that it hits the poor hardest but we need the extra income from it and at least he not taxed food yet!

public sector pay frozen if you earn over 21k i agree with it to an extent, as i didnt get a pay rise this year either and i dont earn anywhere near that!

the rest iv no had a chance to look at yet gonna download the pdf version and scrutinise it!

ohh and the coucil tax frozen for one year.....was meant to be 2... gonna be a big increase next year!

housing benefit frozen at 400 quid a wk what are they fuckin rentin a mansion???? my house only 240 per month 2 bedrooms front and back garden!!!

xx

"im here!! i know you all been waitin with baited breath.....

child benefit frozen load of tosh should have had the balls to say if you earn over say 60k a yr you really dont need it!

baby element of tax credits goin at the time when it costs you more for the little sods!

reduction in child tax credit if you earn over 40 k sounds sensible to me!

vat at 20% unsure as yes its been proven that it hits the poor hardest but we need the extra income from it and at least he not taxed food yet!

public sector pay frozen if you earn over 21k i agree with it to an extent, as i didnt get a pay rise this year either and i dont earn anywhere near that!

the rest iv no had a chance to look at yet gonna download the pdf version and scrutinise it!

ohh and the coucil tax frozen for one year.....was meant to be 2... gonna be a big increase next year!

housing benefit frozen at 400 quid a wk what are they fuckin rentin a mansion???? my house only 240 per month 2 bedrooms front and back garden!!!

xx"

here here 2rite i agree with all that!! 1000% !!

Torquay

Vat was going up under this new government budget deficit or not!, look back at the history of Vat.....brought in by the Tories and EVERY rise in Vat implemented by a Tory government since.

"Vat was going up under this new government budget deficit or not!, look back at the history of Vat.....brought in by the Tories and EVERY rise in Vat implemented by a Tory government since."

HERE HERE !!! I DRINK TO THAT!! I AGREE BACK U ALL THE WAY!!

By *harpDressed ManMan  over a year ago

Here occasionally, but mostly somewhere else

"Vat was going up under this new government budget deficit or not!, look back at the history of Vat.....brought in by the Tories and EVERY rise in Vat implemented by a Tory government since."

Irrespective of history, and in the present circumstances....

What alternative do you propose?

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

"Well i say this----

So remember this----

"

as opposed to £117.50

It's £2.50 diff not £20

If you include vat on one you cannot not include it on the other figure

"as opposed to £117.50

It's £2.50 diff not £20

If you include vat on one you cannot not include it on the other figure"

You're trying to teach maths to Nottsmale.

Just...y'know, saying.....

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

"Vat was going up under this new government budget deficit or not!, look back at the history of Vat.....brought in by the Tories and EVERY rise in Vat implemented by a Tory government since.

Irrespective of history, and in the present circumstances....

What alternative do you propose?"

properly graduated tax on ALL earnings. Its really quite simple

"as opposed to £117.50

It's £2.50 diff not £20

If you include vat on one you cannot not include it on the other figure

You're trying to teach maths to Nottsmale.

Just...y'know, saying....."

er... she was correct..

£100 + 17.5% = £117.50

£100 + 20% = £120

Difference between old vat and new vat: £2.50

Point there however i have never seen a labour goverment vote to scrap it either xx

Torquay

"Vat was going up under this new government budget deficit or not!, look back at the history of Vat.....brought in by the Tories and EVERY rise in Vat implemented by a Tory government since.

Point there however i have never seen a labour goverment vote to scrap it either xx"

But they remain the only European government ever to decrease Vat, even if it was only a temporary measure

Point there however i have never seen a labour goverment vote to scrap it either xx

But they remain the only European government ever to decrease Vat, even if it was only a temporary measure

"

Yes but not through choice xx

Torquay

Yes but not through choice xx"

How do you make that out?, it was a fiscal measure from a government....it wasn't imposed upon them

"Yeah spent in bath and chatrooms:

I LIKE A NICE BATH,,,,I LIKE CHATROOMS,,,BUT WHICH IS BETTER??--

only 1 way to find out

FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "

what fuckin planet is this guy from not this one f sure

What i actually meant was they had to do it as part of there strategy to balance things and kick start the economy they didn't just do it out of kindness xx

Torquay

"What i actually meant was they had to do it as part of there strategy to balance things and kick start the economy they didn't just do it out of kindness xx"

Of course, it did kickstart small businesses as well, I was ordering more stock at 15% and discounting it to up sales in the shops....

"er... she was correct..

"

I didn't say she was wrong. I said she was picking an odd pupil to be teaching.

"

Oh whoopy-doo! Labour temporarily decreased a tax that they now decry as a ghastly Tory tax when they had the power FOR THIRTEEN YEARS to get rid of it altogether.

Hypocrites.

"er... she was correct..

"

Yes, I know that now as some kind little sudsy guy pointed out to me in pm.. I read ya wrong. Sorry.

"er... she was correct..

Yes, I know that now as some kind little sudsy guy pointed out to me in pm.. I read ya wrong. Sorry. "

xx

Torquay

Oh whoopy-doo! Labour temporarily decreased a tax that they now decry as a ghastly Tory tax when they had the power FOR THIRTEEN YEARS to get rid of it altogether.

Hypocrites."

When Vat was rated at 17.5% scrapping it would have cost the treasury between £49b and £53b a year.....lets not be silly

No worries.

Hypocrites."

They are all Hypocrites!! every man 4 himself! i say.

new ant n dec is the col giverment btw. lol

"

When Vat was rated at 17.5% scrapping it would have cost the treasury between £49b and £53b a year.....lets not be silly"

And now there's a need to raise £155Bn. To use your numbers that's the equivalent of raising VAT to 35% for three years. That's the scale of the problem that has been left by Labour.

Torquay

"

When Vat was rated at 17.5% scrapping it would have cost the treasury between £49b and £53b a year.....lets not be silly

And now there's a need to raise £155Bn. To use your numbers that's the equivalent of raising VAT to 35% for three years. That's the scale of the problem that has been left by Labour.

"

A little naive to think the deficit is completely down to the financial methods of a previous government, there are also varous other factors to consider

"A little naive to think the deficit is completely down to the financial methods of a previous government, there are also varous other factors to consider"

Agreed, it was simplistic. Some would argue that classifying VAT as a "Tory tax" was also simplistic....

Hypocrites.

When Vat was rated at 17.5% scrapping it would have cost the treasury between £49b and £53b a year.....lets not be silly"

So are you saying you support the Tories introduction of it, the Labour govt's refusal to scrap it, or this govt's insistence on raising it to get us out of a jam?

Or do you support all three instances above?

Torquay

Hypocrites.

So are you saying you support the Tories introduction of it, the Labour govt's refusal to scrap it, or this govt's insistence on raising it to get us out of a jam?

Or do you support all three instances above? "

I support Vat on REAL luxury goods as they do in many other countries, Cars/high end luxury electricals/

A fairer Income Tax and Capital Gains Tax system, Inheritance Tax, Bank Taxes, Stock Taxes etc.

Torquay

"A little naive to think the deficit is completely down to the financial methods of a previous government, there are also varous other factors to consider

Agreed, it was simplistic. Some would argue that classifying VAT as a "Tory tax" was also simplistic....

"

Not when you consider that the last Government never increased Vat over the space of 13 years, in fact have never once increased Vat when in power.

So yes, when the Tories say that Labour Tax and spend....they all but invented Tax and spend themselves

By *aucy3Couple  over a year ago

glasgow

"

"

how many countries are not now massively in debt.these words must be hard to understand.it was a world wide recession.the tories and libs,are now playing the blame game.so they can get away with more than they should.

"how many countries are not now massively in debt.these words must be hard to understand.it was a world wide recession."

Who do we owe 155Bn to?

Torquay

"how many countries are not now massively in debt.these words must be hard to understand.it was a world wide recession.

Who do we owe 155Bn to?"

Doesn't quite work that way, it's not like a loan

Newcastle and Gateshead

oooh..... bet you have been waiting on my musings....

okay... here i go....

I thought I wouldn't say this... I was almost impressed... almost....

two year pay freeze on those in the public sector over 21K... two took me by surprised... but it means also the 50p tax rate isn't being abolished any time soon either.....

flat £250 pay rise to those under £21k is a nice touch....

the increase by 1K in the personal allowance is good.....

VAT was always going up regardless of who was going to be in charge.....

the child benefit freeze came as a surprise..... still think he should have gotten rid of it for higher rate taxpayers and I think that is coming.....

same with cap gains increase for higher rate tax payers... not up as far as i thought it would go!

it was the stuff that wasnt in there that surprised me.... no duty increase on fags and booze, no NI increase... but those are coming.....

its not a bad start, not as painful as i imagined.. the shops at xmas will go all out to get rid of stuff before the vat rise hits.....

I can't recall a mini-budget or emergency budget that DID hit booze, fags & fuel. They keep them in reserve for the big budget. Usually.

By *plpxp2Couple  over a year ago

Middlesbrough

"

two year pay freeze on those in the public sector over 21K...

"

By the time the 2 years is up there won't be much left of a public sector that has to save 25% of its budget, on top of the 12-13m most councils are already struggling with.

As the biggest employers in the North how many private companies will go to the wall when these staff stop spending, or companies that also rely on contracts.

Middlesbrough

"I can't recall a mini-budget or emergency budget that DID hit booze, fags & fuel. They keep them in reserve for the big budget. Usually."

They added 2.5% to both from Jan, its called VAT.

By *umourCouple  over a year ago

Northants

"Not when you consider that the last Government never increased Vat over the space of 13 years, in fact have never once increased Vat when in power.

So yes, when the Tories say that Labour Tax and spend....they all but invented Tax and spend themselves"

Tories may have invented "Tax ON Spend" in the UK but Labour invented "Tax AND spend"!

But Labour raised every other tax and stealth tax that you could shake a stick at! They didn't raise VAT because it cannot be hidden and after promising NOT to raise taxes....

The Coalition government has done it all above board! No hiding, take the knocks and put up VAT! This is the honesty that they promised us and I am happy with what they have done so far.

As said before this is the REAL truth---

Wake up and smell the coffee pal. conservative will fucked us - all of us!

"What utter nonsense. If Labour had remained in power you would have to pay for it sooner or later as they were borrowing way more than they could afford, and money isn't free. Would you rather have a government like that of Greece?

Wake up and smell the coffee pal. Labour fucked us - all of us! "

Notts: If you must quote me please quote what I originally said and not your bastardised version of it - else make up your own prose and use that instead.

ok fine fair doos whoooops lol

By *etillanteWoman  over a year ago

"er... she was correct..

"

But he needed it lol

personally i think this is the calm before the storm, the next budget is when its gonna hit the sin tax stuff ie cigarettes/drink! the vat rise also includes fuel so add that then the usual budget increase means by january fuel should be sittin at 1.20 or more depending on a lot of circumstances! its went up here already was 1.13 the other day now 1.15 now think of how many rely on fuel not just haulers etc its a big increase! x

"personally i think this is the calm before the storm, the next budget is when its gonna hit the sin tax stuff ie cigarettes/drink! the vat rise also includes fuel so add that then the usual budget increase means by january fuel should be sittin at 1.20 or more depending on a lot of circumstances! its went up here already was 1.13 the other day now 1.15 now think of how many rely on fuel not just haulers etc its a big increase! x"

I have no issues on tax on alcohol because its a choice thing. Its not essential for your diet. Fuel well we will all have to drive a little lighter with the right foot.

The big issue for me is that there are far too many claiming all they possibly can and putting so much effort into that rather than seeking some sort of employment. They should have made benefits dependent on you doing some sort of unpaid work after you have claimed over 12 months.

"personally i think this is the calm before the storm, the next budget is when its gonna hit the sin tax stuff ie cigarettes/drink! the vat rise also includes fuel so add that then the usual budget increase means by january fuel should be sittin at 1.20 or more depending on a lot of circumstances! its went up here already was 1.13 the other day now 1.15 now think of how many rely on fuel not just haulers etc its a big increase! x

I have no issues on tax on alcohol because its a choice thing. Its not essential for your diet. Fuel well we will all have to drive a little lighter with the right foot.

The big issue for me is that there are far too many claiming all they possibly can and putting so much effort into that rather than seeking some sort of employment. They should have made benefits dependent on you doing some sort of unpaid work after you have claimed over 12 months. "

i cant drive any slower or would be as well walkin lol! i live in the arsehole end of nowhere i rely on the car to get to work and uni its really goin to be more expensive!

as for benefits, there are no jobs companies are shedding workers left right and centre adding to the 2.1 million unemployed! dont get me wrong, there are people on benefits who have been there that long they should get a gold clock from the benefits office when they retire but for every dosser there are ten people genuinely seeking work!

youth unemployment is goin to go up with the future jobs fund being slashed so we goin back 20 years ago to another generation being on the scrap heap before their working life has begun its a big vicious circle that needs to be addressed quickly but how i dont know! x

Torquay

Unemployment will in all probability rise dramatically over the next couple of years, the 25% cut in Public Spending can only result in massive job losses.

With this in mind, where are these jobs for the unemployed going to come from?

Newcastle and Gateshead

just done the maths of the personal allowence increase vs the rise in tax....

if as the economists have said, that 1k rise means we are 170 pounds a year better off.... that 170 pound will be swallowed up after you spend 6800 pounds in non exempt goods.....

not going very far in the real world....

Torquay

From the Institute of Fiscal Studies (2009) in the Economist.

"Benefit Fraud is rife, beaten only by Tax Evasion in the UK"

Tax evasion, most commonly under the advice from accountants, financial advisors and banks, is generally a habit practised mostly by the rich.

"personally i think this is the calm before the storm, the next budget is when its gonna hit the sin tax stuff ie cigarettes/drink! the vat rise also includes fuel so add that then the usual budget increase means by january fuel should be sittin at 1.20 or more depending on a lot of circumstances! its went up here already was 1.13 the other day now 1.15 now think of how many rely on fuel not just haulers etc its a big increase! x"

115p?? You're lucky, it's been 119-120p here for yonks, and we're only just south of the border. Further down its much much higher than that.

Torquay

"personally i think this is the calm before the storm, the next budget is when its gonna hit the sin tax stuff ie cigarettes/drink! the vat rise also includes fuel so add that then the usual budget increase means by january fuel should be sittin at 1.20 or more depending on a lot of circumstances! its went up here already was 1.13 the other day now 1.15 now think of how many rely on fuel not just haulers etc its a big increase! x

115p?? You're lucky, it's been 119-120p here for yonks, and we're only just south of the border. Further down its much much higher than that."

113.9 last week here.....now 114.9/115.9

its what we given with one hand is gonna be taken twice over by the other!

the local coucil budgets not been announced yet and those are the ones where we goin to see the cuts the most! if its done in the right places fair enough, but if its the ordinary working man who is gonna suffer then its not fair but we will wait and see! x

"From the Institute of Fiscal Studies (2009) in the Economist.

Tax evasion, most commonly under the advice from accountants, financial advisors and banks, is generally a habit practised mostly by the rich."

You are soooo wrong there Jane. I was self-employed for many years until 3 years ago when I went on the cards. My accountant used to love all the builders coming in with their accounts each year - those are biggest tax fraudsters, not in the amounts they hide from the taxman but by the sheer volume of them. Thousands of people earning £20k+ in the building profession use every trick in the book to avoid tax liabilities. Corporates simply move the money around legally, under the expert advice of the best tax people in the business, so it can harldy be described as fraud.

Ever since tax was introduced hundreds of years ago to release Richard from the hands of Saladin, people have tried to find ways of not paying it; although in those days the penalties for avoidance were a lot harsher.

"just done the maths of the personal allowence increase vs the rise in tax....

if as the economists have said, that 1k rise means we are 170 pounds a year better off.... that 170 pound will be swallowed up after you spend 6800 pounds in non exempt goods.....

not going very far in the real world...."

If I've got £6,800 to spend on tax exempt goods I'll consider myself to have had a good year and not worry so much about a rise in vat lol

Torquay

"From the Institute of Fiscal Studies (2009) in the Economist.

Tax evasion, most commonly under the advice from accountants, financial advisors and banks, is generally a habit practised mostly by the rich.

You are soooo wrong there Jane. I was self-employed for many years until 3 years ago when I went on the cards. My accountant used to love all the builders coming in with their accounts each year - those are biggest tax fraudsters, not in the amounts they hide from the taxman but by the sheer volume of them. Thousands of people earning £20k+ in the building profession use every trick in the book to avoid tax liabilities. Corporates simply move the money around legally, under the expert advice of the best tax people in the business, so it can harldy be described as fraud.

Ever since tax was introduced hundreds of years ago to release Richard from the hands of Saladin, people have tried to find ways of not paying it; although in those days the penalties for avoidance were a lot harsher. "

I never said Tax Fraud though Wishy....I said Tax Evasion

Correct. You did. Apologies hon. x

Torquay

"Correct. You did. Apologies hon. x"

I do know that you mean though, which is why I feel Vat is a regressive tax that punishes the less well off.

Whether it is morally right or wrong to do so, many many small businesses that are Vat registered claim back much of the Vat they spend domestically.

"Correct. You did. Apologies hon. x

I do know that you mean though, which is why I feel Vat is a regressive tax that punishes the less well off.

Whether it is morally right or wrong to do so, many many small businesses that are Vat registered claim back much of the Vat they spend domestically.

"

But also VAT catches all who are working illegally or doing jobs for cash.

There is no VAT on basic foods or children's clothes still.

VAT is a tax on what you choose to spend money on and if you have to you can cut your cloth accordingly.

Torquay

I agree that punitive Vat can work to bring in taxable revenue from sectors of society that may otherwise avoid paying Income Taxes, but it is also high time that essential goods such as Domestic Rated Fridges, Washing Machines, Central Heating Boilers and Cookers are made exempt from Vat.

FOR THE HARD OF HEARING N PARTIALLY BLIND THIS THE TRUTH BOUT THE CONSERVATIVES!-

As said before this is the REAL truth---

Wake up and smell the coffee pal. conservative will fucked us - all of us!

THERE U GO.

i rest my case now..thank u.

i vote labour til i die!

Up the Labour!!

up the labour!!

up to the best man that ever lived---Gordon Brown.

I think ure amazing.

thank u.

By *exeteraWoman  over a year ago

Bridgend

"I agree that punitive Vat can work to bring in taxable revenue from sectors of society that may otherwise avoid paying Income Taxes, but it is also high time that essential goods such as Domestic Rated Fridges, Washing Machines, Central Heating Boilers and Cookers are made exempt from Vat.

"

I agree with you on this Jane, these haven't been luxuries for years and the list needs to be reviewed.

Middlesbrough

"I can't recall a mini-budget or emergency budget that DID hit booze, fags & fuel. They keep them in reserve for the big budget. Usually.

They added 2.5% to both from Jan, its called VAT. "

And thisd little bomb shell from Darling:

Petrol prices - up 1p in October: While the Chancellor said "no new rises", the scheduled 1p/litre rise in Oct is still on.

So 1p in October (4.5p per gallon) and then we add 2.5% VAT to all of it in January

"I can't recall a mini-budget or emergency budget that DID hit booze, fags & fuel. They keep them in reserve for the big budget. Usually.

They added 2.5% to both from Jan, its called VAT.

And thisd little bomb shell from Darling:

Petrol prices - up 1p in October: While the Chancellor said "no new rises", the scheduled 1p/litre rise in Oct is still on.

So 1p in October (4.5p per gallon) and then we add 2.5% VAT to all of it in January "

This is shocking!! n really pisses me off n disgusts me entirely ! thats the modern conservatives 4 u,,,,dont say i told u so.

less pennies,lol

"less pennies,lol"

More of our hard earned cash spent on crap too.

» Add a new message to this topic