FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Foreign Language

Foreign Language

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I was recently looking through the job section I think it was on Gumtree and found a couple of ads that were written in Polish. Is it only me that thinks this is not right and could be classed as discrimination as obviously a lot of people would be unable to apply?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Lo siento, que no te entiendo

By *bi HaiveMan  over a year ago
Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

Unless of course they we're looking for fluent translators or speakers of Polish?

If it's a skill that's essential for the job - not much point in applying if you can't speak/read Polish!

A

"Lo siento, que no te entiendo "

Exactly a lot of people wouldn't have understood lol. Shouldn't it be English or would I be classed as racist?

"Unless of course they we're looking for fluent translators or speakers of Polish?

If it's a skill that's essential for the job - not much point in applying if you can't speak/read Polish!

A"

Yep never thought of that, but even translator jobs are usually written in English aren't they?

By *alandNitaCouple  over a year ago

Scunthorpe

It depends on the Job and whether it was also advertised in other languages.

If the job actually required people to be able to speak polish, then it would be ok.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Unfortunately lots of immigrants can speak better English than some people who were born here. I can't see where racism enters the equation

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

While I understand your concern and am totally against uncontrolled immigration, I don't think this is really an issue in itself.

Whether you or anyone else likes it or not there is a large Polish community and there will be jobs that need Polish speakers, as with many other ethnic groups.

In the rest of Europe, especially in parts of Spain, there are many jobs only advertised in English, so it does cut both ways.

The real problem is the huge numbers of legal and illegal immigrants coming not only to Britain but the rest of northern Europe and it is a tide that needs to be turned.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Go on, use google translate and apply in Romanian

"Unfortunately lots of immigrants can speak better English than some people who were born here. I can't see where racism enters the equation "

That's probably because English is the most widely spoken language in the world.

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Unfortunately lots of immigrants can speak better English than some people who were born here. I can't see where racism enters the equation

That's probably because English is the most widely spoken language in the world."

Pretty sure the most spoken language in the world is Mandarin Chinese!

A

"Unfortunately lots of immigrants can speak better English than some people who were born here. I can't see where racism enters the equation

That's probably because English is the most widely spoken language in the world.

A"

Don't hear anyone speaking it where I live!!

By *renchbambi xWoman  over a year ago

Need to know basis

That's probably because English is the most widely spoken language in the world."

That is incorrect, Spanish is

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

That is true, but I still fail to see where any form of racism kicks in?

That is incorrect, Spanish is "

I should have said one of the most widely spoken languages!

That is true, but I still fail to see where any form of racism kicks in?"

Sometimes mentioning something foreign in this country can be seen as racist, so I wondered if even questioning the ad would be classed the same way.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"That is incorrect, Spanish is "

El inglés se habla en más países que Español

"That is incorrect, Spanish is

El inglés se habla en más países que Español "

I always thought English was spoken far more than the likes of Spanish or Mandarin Chinese, but may be not/1

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Sometimes mentioning something foreign in this country can be seen as racist, so I wondered if even questioning the ad would be classed the same way."

To question anything is within your rights as a human being, in Great Britain or abroad. Whether the situation you describe can be construed as racist or not is only a matter of opinion.

I say not

"Sometimes mentioning something foreign in this country can be seen as racist, so I wondered if even questioning the ad would be classed the same way.

To question anything is within your rights as a human being, in Great Britain or abroad. Whether the situation you describe can be construed as racist or not is only a matter of opinion.

I say not "

Unfortunately saying what you think in this country has become a bit of a minefield, so many comments and statements can be misconstrude, hence my question.

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Sometimes mentioning something foreign in this country can be seen as racist, so I wondered if even questioning the ad would be classed the same way.

I say not

Unfortunately saying what you think in this country has become a bit of a minefield, so many comments and statements can be misconstrude, hence my question."

The question isn't racist.

It would only be racist dependant on the motivation for asking the question.

If it's a "ooh, look at that! I'm unemployed and looking for a job but can't tell whether this one would be suitable for me as it's written in Polish and therefore highly likely to go to one if those pesky Eastern Europeans who keep coming here taking our jobs?" - then yes.

If it's a "ooh - I wonder what that job as is for. As it's written in polish I might copy it and paste it into google translate to see what it is, if I'm suitable phone up, and if it's not an essential requirement to speak Polish - maybe even apply!" - then no.

It's all in the context!

A

Need to know basis

I always thought English was spoken far more than the likes of Spanish or Mandarin Chinese, but may be not/1

"

Yes English is the language that most people use to communicate worldwide but demographics show that Spanish is even more widely spoken. Sorry if i had nor been very clear. After all English is not my mother tongue

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Only by speaking your mind can anyone else be remotely expected to know what you are thinking

"

I think English is the most wide spread second language, learn English & Spanish and you can get by in a large part of the world, though you will struggle in Newcastle.

"Only by speaking your mind can anyone else be remotely expected to know what you are thinking "

As I said a bit of a minefield, hence treading on eggshells!

Forum Mod

Cheeseville, Somerset

"Only by speaking your mind can anyone else be remotely expected to know what you are thinking "

Bollocks.

This bloke cut me up on the motorway yesterday and I'm pretty sure he knew exactly what I was thinking simply by observing some basic hand signals I utilised!

A

Accepted vacancy:

Employment law allows such vacancies to be advertised. Same as gender only vacancies. Nothing racist nor sexist, simple really.

Chinese, with about 80-100 dialects is the most widely spoken language in the world but Mandarin being the single most one dialect, the English, Hindustani then Spanish. Not a smart arse just know how to use Google

Need to know basis

"Accepted vacancy:

Employment law allows such vacancies to be advertised. Same as gender only vacancies. Nothing racist nor sexist, simple really.

Chinese, with about 80-100 dialects is the most widely spoken language in the world but Mandarin being the single most one dialect, the English, Hindustani then Spanish. Not a smart arse just know how

to use Google "

Smart arses Google

By *luezuluMan  over a year ago

Suffolk

I can speak 2 languages

English and loadsabollox

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

A"

But the statement said 'most widely spoken'. Most European countries they teach English as a second language in schools. Likewise, it is also taught in many other countries beyond Europe. Whereas in British schools French, German, Spanish are often taught. Some schools offer others too like Italian.

Need to know basis

"I can speak 2 languages

English and loadsabollox"

loadsabollox is tempting....maybe i should make it the 6th language i'll speak.....i'd need a good teacher

By writing the ad in polish it will ensure only quality applicants and will out the local crap

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

Most spoken languages in the world are Mandarin Chinese, Hindu, then English.

Around this area, we have a large Polish population, job adverts in the agencies are frequently written in both Polish and English. I'd personally see it as being inclusive not racist.

By *afadaoMan  over a year ago

Staines

"Yes English is the language that most people use to communicate worldwide but demographics show that Spanish is even more widely spoken. Sorry if i had nor been very clear. After all English is not my mother tongue "

Bloody French invaders, coming over here with their certain "je ne sais quoi", fluttering their eyelashes, displaying their cleavage, giving it the old "ooh la la la" and stealing our women.

Where's the Duke of Wellington when you need him?

Need to know basis

"Yes English is the language that most people use to communicate worldwide but demographics show that Spanish is even more widely spoken. Sorry if i had nor been very clear. After all English is not my mother tongue

Bloody French invaders, coming over here with their certain "je ne sais quoi", fluttering their eyelashes, displaying their cleavage, giving it the old "ooh la la la" and stealing our women.

Where's the Duke of Wellington when you need him?"

you forgot the'va va voom'!! Man...the only Wellington i know and like is juicy and comes from a cow

you're absolutely correct x

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"Only by speaking your mind can anyone else be remotely expected to know what you are thinking

Bollocks.

This bloke cut me up on the motorway yesterday and I'm pretty sure he knew exactly what I was thinking simply by observing some basic hand signals I utilised!

A"

Ok, I'll let you off on that one

By *luezuluMan  over a year ago

Suffolk

"I can speak 2 languages

English and loadsabollox

loadsabollox is tempting....maybe i should make it the 6th language i'll speak.....i'd need a good teacher "

Oh some people think its my first language as I speak it all the time.

I'd be a good teacher

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

Ealing & Slough have the highest concentration of Polish speakers in the UK.

*courtesy of the useless information department*

[Removed by poster at 31/08/14 11:34:12]

"Lo siento, que no te entiendo

Exactly a lot of people wouldn't have understood lol. Shouldn't it be English or would I be classed as racist?"

racist, nah!! There is a degree if xenophobia shining through though.

I guess that job was regarding more like cleaning houses or similar. To be honest.. Which English people don't want to do...

Why English people expecting from others to speak in english... Are not nice, or sounds racist..

Why English people who live in my country expecting from italian people speak in their language?

Because.. It's to difficult to learn italian or are to lazy?

Omg... English is my sixth language.. And it's rubbish even I live here 11 years.

At my work I use other languages and when I looking for people to work.. I don't care about nationality..more skills experience.

English people have a lots of reserve are cold and they are not open.

Bit tolerance, accept fact we live on the same lovely planet..no one is better or worse.

It would be illegal if the advert discriminates, against any section of the population by imposing a condition that excludes others from applying.

If the job does not require you to speak Polish then the advertiser is discriminating and should be reported.

Equally there is no good reason why the job is not in both English and polish.

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

English people are not too lazy to learn another language. Think about it. Which European language should I learn? I studied French and Spanish both of which I've used abroad, and I I've picked up some German which has also come in handy.

However, Europeans learn English at school. Is the suggestion that we learn EVERY European language or we are destined to be labelled lazy?

"Most spoken languages in the world are Mandarin Chinese, Hindu, then English.

Around this area, we have a large Polish population, job adverts in the agencies are frequently written in both Polish and English. I'd personally see it as being inclusive not racist. "

China is not the world, seriously doubt many speak it in America, the UK or Europe, or any where else for that matter.

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

"I guess that job was regarding more like cleaning houses or similar. To be honest.. Which English people don't want to do..."

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

It's not about English people being lazy. It's about having the actual, pressing need to learn other languages.

English is spoken in so many parts of the world that we don't typically need it to be able to travel, work abroad, etc. I can go to most European cities, speak English, and have people understand me. A French or German speaker wouldn't be able to do that with their native language.

Other countries teach their kids English from a very young age because it's vital for them. It's not vital for us to learn French or German.

By *hetalkingstoveMan  over a year ago

London

Also, why not run the advert through Google translate and see what it's for?

Whya znot shcmove ti Britain shrgreat shjob evin if no lasty liv like shking in benefito

"Also, why not run the advert through Google translate and see what it's for?"

There was no option to translate and after reading the rules on Gumtree one of them was all adverts have to be in English so I have reported it. It is a medical/dental practice.

By *otlovefun42Couple  over a year ago

Costa Blanca Spain...

A funny thing happened a couple of hundred years ago which quite a few historians quote as the reason English became the dominant European language (along with the rise of the British empire).

A delegation from the newly independent American government visited Paris to negotiate with Bonaparte for access to the Mississippi river through the French controlled port of New Orleans. At the time pretty much everything to the west of the Mississippi was deemed to be French territory. Bonaparte, who regarded many of the colonies (particularly America) as troublesome, told the American delegation that for a bit more cash (which he needed to fight the British) they could buy the bloody lot.

A few messages were exchanged, the cash was raised, and the rest is history with the whole of western America being sold for less than 10 cents a square mile (makes Gordon Browns gold deal look quite astute )

So who knows? maybe if most of America had stayed under French control Neil Armstrong my have said the immortal phrase.

Un petit pas pour un homme. Un bond de géant pour l'humanité.

Bit of useless information, but a story worth telling

I always thought "shouting louder 'til they understand" was the most commonly used method of communication around the world.

"I was recently looking through the job section I think it was on Gumtree and found a couple of ads that were written in Polish. Is it only me that thinks this is not right and could be classed as discrimination as obviously a lot of people would be unable to apply?"

I guess you could google and apply if they discriminated then you could have a case.

» Add a new message to this topic