FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > a question for the ladies of fab

a question for the ladies of fab

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I have a contraceptive implant and have had 1 for 5 years now. I have noticed that I'm having pain in the muscle by where it was put in and my periods are getting progressively worse. I've never had bad periods really but over the last 6 months they're getting worse and more painful, I've been in agony for 3 days now

In thinking that it must be to do with the implant not suiting me anymore so I've booked in to have the depo injection instead

Have any of you ever had the injection?

Does it hurt?

Does anyone know any good remedies for period pain?

Any advise would be great

Sorry if this is a little too much detail for you fellas out there

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *adybee77Woman  over a year ago

MAMOBA, miles and miles of bugger all (Aberdeenshire)

How long does your implant last for? They are not indefinite. I know my friend has to get hers done every 3 years.

I know the mirena coil is 5 years before replacing.

It may well just be time to get that one out, and a new one in?

"How long does your implant last for? They are not indefinite. I know my friend has to get hers done every 3 years.

I know the mirena coil is 5 years before replacing.

It may well just be time to get that one out, and a new one in?"

Sorry I didn't word that right, I've had it changed once, with this 1 being in nearly 2 years

By *adybee77Woman  over a year ago

MAMOBA, miles and miles of bugger all (Aberdeenshire)

Maybe go and chat to your GP about it.

I had the depo injection years ago, and never again. Awful PMT and terrible pains although less period.

I have the mirena, and while its not for everyone, I find it works for me.

As for period pains, paracetamol and a hot water bottle always helped. I got other stuff from the GP - tranexamic acid to slow the bleeding (awful side effects tho) and stronger prescription painkillers.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

"Maybe go and chat to your GP about it.

I had the depo injection years ago, and never again. Awful PMT and terrible pains although less period.

I have the mirena, and while its not for everyone, I find it works for me.

As for period pains, paracetamol and a hot water bottle always helped. I got other stuff from the GP - tranexamic acid to slow the bleeding (awful side effects tho) and stronger prescription painkillers."

i fell pregnant on the coil when it dislodged itself lol

By *rightonsteveMan  over a year ago

Brighton - even Hove!

I'm so pleased I'm a man

I've had the depo injection. It doesn't hurt really. I only stopped having it because I'm lazy and couldn't be bothered to keep going to the drs to get it done!

By *avebi48Man  over a year ago

Lordswood

hot bath and lower back massage can help, at least it seemed to for the past ladies in my life.

Co-codamol may help too but can add constipation to your woes

i had the implant but didn't agree with me

loved the depo injection, stopped my periods altogether, getting it done next month

naproxen....but for future reference as you need to start taking it a couple of days before your period starts....after years of no problems, mine got incredibly painful about a year before they started disppearing altogether, and naproxen worked really well...you can get it over the counter as feminax, but much cheaper of you can get a script for it..

thanx for the advice everyone, normal painkillers dont do anything and i cant take co-codamol

"I'm so pleased I'm a man "

you dont know how bloody lucky you are

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I have Depo.

Doesn't hurt if they put it in your thigh. But the doctor did it in my arm once and it swelled and was sore for days.

No periods at all, but still get minor PMT symptoms every month although Magnesium supplements help with that.

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

I've had the depo for 3 years, not had a period at all since I started having it.

Once every 12 weeks a tiny prick in the arse you barely feel it.

I do know people that have had a terrible time with it though, I think contraception is a trial and error thing though the same thing doesn't suit everyone xx

"I have a contraceptive implant and have had 1 for 5 years now. I have noticed that I'm having pain in the muscle by where it was put in and my periods are getting progressively worse. I've never had bad periods really but over the last 6 months they're getting worse and more painful, I've been in agony for 3 days now

In thinking that it must be to do with the implant not suiting me anymore so I've booked in to have the depo injection instead

Does it hurt?

Sorry if this is a little too much detail for you fellas out there"

I'm not an expert on the implants but was on the depo for 11 years it was pure bliss. No monthlys no pain only thing that went wrong was in the 11th year I fell pregnant on it (but it was after major surgery unfortunately they forgot to mention this could happen , but I am super fertile) so it is amazing and truly works xx

By *issHottieBottieWoman  over a year ago

Kent

"I have Depo.

Doesn't hurt if they put it in your thigh. But the doctor did it in my arm once and it swelled and was sore for days.

No periods at all, but still get minor PMT symptoms every month although Magnesium supplements help with that."

I get the urge to eat so much bad food once a month! I can always tell when I would be due on!! Lol x

i dont use anything but always wondered about the injection - if it doesnt suit youre kind of stuck with it - whereas with the coil or implant or pill can always be removed or stopped - how long does the jab last?

I had the Depo but I've decided to stop so wont be getting another one. I had it in my bum and it didn't hurt at all. My periods didn't stop totally but were so light I hardly noticed.

"i dont use anything but always wondered about the injection - if it doesnt suit youre kind of stuck with it - whereas with the coil or implant or pill can always be removed or stopped - how long does the jab last?"

You have to go every 12 weeks

"i dont use anything but always wondered about the injection - if it doesnt suit youre kind of stuck with it - whereas with the coil or implant or pill can always be removed or stopped - how long does the jab last?

You have to go every 12 weeks"

"I have a contraceptive implant and have had 1 for 5 years now. I have noticed that I'm having pain in the muscle by where it was put in and my periods are getting progressively worse. I've never had bad periods really but over the last 6 months they're getting worse and more painful, I've been in agony for 3 days now

Does it hurt?

Sorry if this is a little too much detail for you fellas out there"

I had the depo injection for a year amd my periods completly dissapeared and didnt come back till about 10 months after id stopped having them. Doesnt hurt at all any more than a normal injection jut be careful what you eat as i put on 2stone while on it due to it effecting appetite xx

i used to take the pill before having the implant put in but could never remember to take the bloody thing so hence why i had the implant for something more permanent

think its time for a change now though and my only more permanent options are the depo or the coil and a relative had 3 pregnancy's with the coil fitted so i dont like the sound of that although i know there are risks with them all

By *o30Woman  over a year ago

Lincoln

I'm on the continuous contraceptive pill but have some problems with it. so now I have to keep a diary for my gp lol

"i dont use anything but always wondered about the injection - if it doesnt suit youre kind of stuck with it - whereas with the coil or implant or pill can always be removed or stopped - how long does the jab last?

You have to go every 12 weeks"

That's how often it's injected, but it's to be on the safe side as it actually stays in your body for approximately 5 months. So if you don't like it that's how you have to wait for it to dissipate.

These are the listed side effects:

In the largest clinical trial of Depo-Provera, the most frequently reported adverse reactions (which may or may not be related to the use of Depo-Provera) were: menstrual irregularities (bleeding or amenorrhea or both), abdominal pain or discomfort, weight changes, headache, asthenia (weakness or fatigue), depression, hair loss and nervousness, skin breakouts, and nausea.

However they don't mention terrible pmt and loss of sex drive, which is why I stopped it. It's actually used for chemical castration of men as it kills their sex drive. I've not read that it does the same to some women but it definitely did with me.

Another thing to be aware of is that it can take a year or two to get back to your normal fertility after stopping it, which can be a problem if you decide you wantto get pregnant after all.

That's how often it's injected, but it's to be on the safe side as it actually stays in your body for approximately 5 months. So if you don't like it that's how you have to wait for it to dissipate.

In the largest clinical trial of Depo-Provera, the most frequently reported adverse reactions (which may or may not be related to the use of Depo-Provera) were: menstrual irregularities (bleeding or amenorrhea or both), abdominal pain or discomfort, weight changes, headache, asthenia (weakness or fatigue), depression, hair loss and nervousness, skin breakouts, and nausea.

However they don't mention terrible pmt and loss of sex drive, which is why I stopped it. It's actually used for chemical castration of men as it kills their sex drive. I've not read that it does the same to some women but it definitely did with me.

Another thing to be aware of is that it can take a year or two to get back to your normal fertility after stopping it, which can be a problem if you decide you wantto get pregnant after all."

i had alot of problems with depo my periods did stop but ever since i came off have never been regular n some months i bleed for 4 weeks x

Another thing to be aware of is that it can take a year or two to get back to your normal fertility after stopping it, which can be a problem if you decide you wantto get pregnant after all."

thats why i want something more permanent because we dont want anymore kids

I had the depo injection back in October, had it a few days before I was due on my period (they like you to be on when you have the injection but I think it's just to make sure you aren't already pregnant) The injection can be either the arm or your bum cheek, I chose my bum cheek and it's not that painful but you feel a slight throb in the injection site for the rest of the day/night. It lasts 3 months and this time round I bled for about 12 days very very lightly, wasn't even like a proper period.

Previous times when I've been on depo injections it stopped my periods altogether though my moods and the slight lower back pain I get around my time of the month told me when I should be experiencing a period.

I used to get the Depo injection but eventually had to stop. Was so sick, nausea all the time, really swollen and painful boobs, even certain smells would make me feel sick. But had been on it when I was younger and had no reactions at all, which is weird

By *hole Lotta RosieWoman  over a year ago

Deviant City

had the injection when I was 19 and it made me bleed constantly for 3 months, so was then given a double dose and bled for another 3 months continuously. I'm same with mini pill, coil and implant. The oestrogen doesn't like me.

The trouble with asking for other people's personal experiences with contraception is that their experiences are specific to them. For instance I would never take depo provera again but it could work well for you. The only way to find out is to try it I'm afraid.

"had the injection when I was 19 and it made me bleed constantly for 3 months, so was then given a double dose and bled for another 3 months continuously. I'm same with mini pill, coil and implant. The oestrogen doesn't like me."

Poor you, ive been fine on the implant until recently, for the first 12 months i never had a period at all and then they came once a month again but just lately there unbearable

"The trouble with asking for other people's personal experiences with contraception is that their experiences are specific to them. For instance I would never take depo provera again but it could work well for you. The only way to find out is to try it I'm afraid."

And ask the advice of your GP!!

"The trouble with asking for other people's personal experiences with contraception is that their experiences are specific to them. For instance I would never take depo provera again but it could work well for you. The only way to find out is to try it I'm afraid."

your 100% right was just wondering what peoples experience on it are

"The trouble with asking for other people's personal experiences with contraception is that their experiences are specific to them. For instance I would never take depo provera again but it could work well for you. The only way to find out is to try it I'm afraid.

your 100% right was just wondering what peoples experience on it are"

There's nothing wrong with getting some extra first hand experience. If I had had other people to chat to about depo provera I wouldn't have spent two years wondering why I was in a permanent pmt like state and couldn't stand the thought of sex with my boyfriend. Loss of sex drive wasn't listed as a potential side effect and it wasn't until I read an article in a newspaper about a priest's retreat where they were sent if they'd been caught having sex with the congregation and the medication they were given to kill their sex drive was the same as in depo provera.

This was all pre internet of course, or I'd have found out much quicker.

By *leasures4Couple  over a year ago

East midlands

What suits one person, doesn't always suit another.

I'm a massive fan of the Mirena coil. I've had them for 9 years now and next year will get my third one. Ive been told not to bother as my fella has now had a vasectomy but im a safety girl, plus it lightens my periods big time.

The Depo injection didn't suit me at all as I was on a constant period for 3 months and had to take iron tablets for anaemia.

Its a case of trying these things to see what suits you.

As for pain... Paracetamol? X

By *edangel_2013Woman  over a year ago

southend

I work with male sex offenders and some of them are given Depo.

Can't say it's had the same effect on me. Sex drive is the same. Moods can be bad, but as I said above, since I started taking Magnesium supplements they have got a lot better, evening primrose can also help with PMT.

Ask a nurse at the family planning clinic rather than GP! Last time I went to get mine changed at the clinic I casually mentioned that I had been having periods for the previous year but my GP told me it was nothing to worry about...the nurse told me that because I was a bit overweight that the implant could have 'run out' early and sent me to pee on a stick before she would put my new one in.

I find that I only get 2 years of not bleeding on implant but have never tried any other form of contraception.

I hated the depo, made me put on weight and have sore boobs, same with progesterone only pills and the implant.

I was recommended the mirena but was apprehensive as it's the same hormone content, but they're only released locally and don't get into your system. I wouldn't have anything else now, it's awesome.

For pain - I use a hot water bottle lol

No contraception has ever helped my heavy painful periods. I'm getting the implant in a few weeks though so will see if that does anything useful for them. Depo was ok except the weight gain, none of the pills ever agreed with me or helped. I take mefenamic acid tablets for the pain, they don't really help me much but will occasionally take the edge off, then again my body is fucked up for its tolerance of anything really so they should work. Ask the docs for them. You should get a decent amount of them too cause generally 6 a day are taken x

» Add a new message to this topic