wirral

How far in advance can I make mince p

ies? X

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Anytime, just freeze them. Defrost then warm in the oven

you should have started last january , it s never too early to prepare !

"How far in advance can I make mince p

ies? X"

At least two hours before you need to eat them

By *all-Eddies Qos OP   Couple  over a year ago

wirral

I need them for 2 weeks yesterday...its unlikely they are going to be served warm....school craft christmas thingy

By *bony in IvoryCouple  over a year ago

Black&White Utopia

Make em , cook or leave uncooked and can freeze in say a deep container, in layers with ( grease proof paper in between each layer) can then just take out what ya need to cook or heat up ... I used to make 300 at a time n store like this... All come out fine ps ... Look nice with star shaped cutout pastry on the top too

wirral

Thanks, I'm doing shortcrust and maybe puff pastry...like mince danish types...I have a b.f.o chesty freezer....so thats a viable option....dont think I will be doing 300.....imagine if they don't sell and I'm stuck with them...could do a american lemonade stand type thing outside my house....kids would love it

By *bony in IvoryCouple  over a year ago

Black&White Utopia

"Thanks, I'm doing shortcrust and maybe puff pastry...like mince danish types...I have a b.f.o chesty freezer....so thats a viable option....dont think I will be doing 300.....imagine if they don't sell and I'm stuck with them...could do a american lemonade stand type thing outside my house....kids would love it"
yeap i cooked in bulk with my job.. You could just cook what ya need and freeze... Then get outta freezer to defrost night before ... Shake of icing sugar.. Job done ... Hope all goes well

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

Consider stretching the mincemeat with grated apple, it tempers that very dark rich flavour that some find too much. Orange zest is a great addition too..

Bake till they're just done with very little colour - check for soggy bottoms though! That way you have a little more leeway when you heat them through again and can put a little colour on them.

If you're using puff pastry you could always make mincemeat pinwheels. Spread the mincemeat thinly but thoroughly over a sheet of puff then roll along the long side and cut into slices a centimetre wide. Put on a lined baking sheet on their side (so you can see the swirl) leave room between them to puff up and out, glaze with egg wash and a sprinkle of brown sugar mixed with cinnamon and bake at the same temp as the pies for about 8-10 mins depending on your oven.

If you want to bake in advance look for a recipe for pfeffernuss. It's a German cookie which is best made a few days ahead. They're traditionally made at Christmas.

wirral

Think I might just draft you all in, get some wine and nibbles and let you all bake for me haha

By *uke olovingmanMan  over a year ago

Gravesend

Now is a good time if you can freeze them .. I just made my Christmas puddings

» Add a new message to this topic