FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > alright sport

alright sport

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *leasureDome OP   Man  over a year ago

all over the place

With the revelations surrounding crooked deals and backhanders etc in many sports,should sports stars still be held as examples of "good" and role models if not ,who do you reckon should be ?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *ensualfire88Man  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Dunno, but i'd stick a tenner on 4 consecutive "wides" at the cricket tomorrow.

*nudge nudge, wink wink*

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Look around your community and you'll see tham. You'll have to look hard but they're there. Sometimes they're retired folks, sometimes they're in poor health, sometimes they're just off duty but they're out there doing stuff for no reward other than contributing to making where they live a better place to live.

them.

all over the place

"Look around your community and you'll see tham. You'll have to look hard but they're there. Sometimes they're retired folks, sometimes they're in poor health, sometimes they're just off duty but they're out there doing stuff for no reward other than contributing to making where they live a better place to live."

they have my vote

Edinburgh

"Look around your community and you'll see tham. You'll have to look hard but they're there. Sometimes they're retired folks, sometimes they're in poor health, sometimes they're just off duty but they're out there doing stuff for no reward other than contributing to making where they live a better place to live."

Fair enough - but top level sport would be shit to watch.

"With the revelations surrounding crooked deals and backhanders etc in many sports,should sports stars still be held as examples of "good" and role models if not ,who do you reckon should be ?"

Not directly in answer to the question... but I have some difficulty considering somebody a good role model who gets caught drink driving ... ( wont mention the loose life style here, would be hypocritical lol)

"With the revelations surrounding crooked deals and backhanders etc in many sports,should sports stars still be held as examples of "good" and role models if not ,who do you reckon should be ?"

im goood at sport and im alright .....pick me !!!!

"With the revelations surrounding crooked deals and backhanders etc in many sports,should sports stars still be held as examples of "good" and role models if not ,who do you reckon should be ?

Not directly in answer to the question... but I have some difficulty considering somebody a good role model who gets caught drink driving ... ( wont mention the loose life style here, would be hypocritical lol) "

ah, but we're not in the public eye 9except some evenings in certain car parks and lay-by's)...and even if we are, it's in a finger pointing, moralistic, get on the high horse kinda "this is what not to do folks" way...

I guess we are more anti-iconic

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

As if

all over the place

"With the revelations surrounding crooked deals and backhanders etc in many sports,should sports stars still be held as examples of "good" and role models if not ,who do you reckon should be ?

im goood at sport and im alright .....pick me !!!!"

ok ..i'll ask ....what sport you good at ...

"Look around your community and you'll see tham. You'll have to look hard but they're there. Sometimes they're retired folks, sometimes they're in poor health, sometimes they're just off duty but they're out there doing stuff for no reward other than contributing to making where they live a better place to live.

Fair enough - but top level sport would be shit to watch."

Agreed but the problem with top level sport is that it isn't, in general, played by people who want to entertain the public but by people who want the kudos and income derived from playing top level sport - often regardless of what they have to do to get it.

Incidentally I have no issues with the money paid to, as opposed to earned by, top level sportsfolk. What irks me is people who complain about the money they get paid yet who faithfully turn up every Saturday afternoon and gladly hand over large chunks to their disposable income to pay those wages.

Not directly in answer to the question... but I have some difficulty considering somebody a good role model who gets caught drink driving ... ( wont mention the loose life style here, would be hypocritical lol)

ah, but we're not in the public eye 9except some evenings in certain car parks and lay-by's)...and even if we are, it's in a finger pointing, moralistic, get on the high horse kinda "this is what not to do folks" way...

I guess we are more anti-iconic"

Quite a badge of honour I guess... hey must not allow thread to be hijacked or I will be in trouble with OP

"hey must not allow thread to be hijacked or I will be in trouble with OP "

weathers been nice though, eh?

Edinburgh

"Look around your community and you'll see tham. You'll have to look hard but they're there. Sometimes they're retired folks, sometimes they're in poor health, sometimes they're just off duty but they're out there doing stuff for no reward other than contributing to making where they live a better place to live.

Fair enough - but top level sport would be shit to watch.

Agreed but the problem with top level sport is that it isn't, in general, played by people who want to entertain the public but by people who want the kudos and income derived from playing top level sport - often regardless of what they have to do to get it.

Incidentally I have no issues with the money paid to, as opposed to earned by, top level sportsfolk. What irks me is people who complain about the money they get paid yet who faithfully turn up every Saturday afternoon and gladly hand over large chunks to their disposable income to pay those wages."

Agree.

And - top level sportspeople grew up wanting to be top level at their sport. They dedicated their lives to it, trained and practiced hard at it etc.

None of them grew up wanting to be role models.

Honestly - for £100k a week, who here wouldnt smile nicely for the cameras and say "hey kids, wear Nike, it's cool!"?

im goood at sport and im alright .....pick me !!!!

swimming sailing golfing bonking ....u name it im a game girl !!!

ok ..i'll ask ....what sport you good at ..."

Edinburgh

Quite a badge of honour I guess... hey must not allow thread to be hijacked or I will be in trouble with OP "

Are you a role model for forum posters then?

[Removed by poster at 31/08/10 20:51:29]

"

Honestly - for £100k a week, who here wouldnt smile nicely for the cameras and say "hey kids, wear Nike, it's cool!"?

"

I'd like to think that was down to how Nike (and I know nothing of their employment/ manufacturing practices) treat their people who ain't on £100,000 a week, or a year, or a lifetime.

"

"

I'd like to think that was down to how Nike (and I know nothing of their employment/ manufacturing practices) treat their people who ain't on £100,000 a week, or a year, or a lifetime.

Quite a badge of honour I guess... hey must not allow thread to be hijacked or I will be in trouble with OP

Are you a role model for forum posters then?

"

Me - distant relative of Mother Theresa, Sir

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

I don't see why people expect sports people to be role models, for example footballers start at a very young age, if they are good enough (and that's like needle in a haystack stuff) then they may make it to the highest level...they do so through their skills and a fair slice of luck, I am not sure at any time in this process they sign themselves up as role models.....personally I think the term is both over used and unrealistic.

By *undebigaryMan  over a year ago

dundee

Its a good question.i would say maybe our young men an woman in the armed forces,who are fighting an unwinable unpopular war,an coming into more enemy contact than our soldiers did in the 2nd world war.an getting paid a pittance compared to some overpaid,arrogant.out of touch with reality.drug test avoiding.cheating on his mrs football player

It appears that in the middle of all this hullabaloo regarding corrupt sportsmen and women is the fact that the ones being 'stung' are the bookmakers who think it's their god-given right to maximise their profits without any risk at all. If you develop a system that regularly canes the bookies they will ban you from gambling with them. So what if someone takes a few £mill off them via dodgy means, I never bet on sports anyway so it has absolutely no impact on me whatsoever. History records the winners and I'm sure in as little as 5 years time the majority of peole will have forgotten who the Pakistani players were and which test match they bowled a few hookie balls in.

By *ushroom7Man  over a year ago

Bradford

I would imagine the likes of say, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player for example, derive an inner glow from being at the very top of their chosen game, yet still had the grace and class to be role models to millions who have followed.

"I don't see why people expect sports people to be role models, for example footballers start at a very young age, if they are good enough (and that's like needle in a haystack stuff) then they may make it to the highest level...they do so through their skills and a fair slice of luck, I am not sure at any time in this process they sign themselves up as role models.....personally I think the term is both over used and unrealistic."

A role model is "...a person whose behaviour, example, or success is or can be emulated by others, esp. by younger people.".

this is true in any walk of life, be it mother, father, tinker, tailor, soldier, spy....it might not be a role you welcome, but I think when you are in the public spotlight, it is a role you are expected to fulfil.

If you don't want to be a role model for others, you can take a more mediocre role, it's a choice to be famous and revered by others. If you aim for fame, you are actually inviting it.

By *he_original_poloWoman  over a year ago

a Primark shoebox in Leicester

"I don't see why people expect sports people to be role models, for example footballers ...."

The clubs which sign them certainly don't.

Marlon King – history of serious assaults on women… including breaking a 20 year old woman's nose because she didn’t fancy shagging him.

Jamie Lawrence - served three years for his part in an armed robbery.

Just two examples of fine footballing role models.

"I don't see why people expect sports people to be role models, for example footballers start at a very young age, if they are good enough (and that's like needle in a haystack stuff) then they may make it to the highest level...they do so through their skills and a fair slice of luck, I am not sure at any time in this process they sign themselves up as role models.....personally I think the term is both over used and unrealistic.

A role model is "...a person whose behaviour, example, or success is or can be emulated by others, esp. by younger people.".

this is true in any walk of life, be it mother, father, tinker, tailor, soldier, spy....it might not be a role you welcome, but I think when you are in the public spotlight, it is a role you are expected to fulfil.

If you don't want to be a role model for others, you can take a more mediocre role, it's a choice to be famous and revered by others. If you aim for fame, you are actually inviting it."

Shall we?

all over the place

"It appears that in the middle of all this hullabaloo regarding corrupt sportsmen and women is the fact that the ones being 'stung' are the bookmakers who think it's their god-given right to maximise their profits without any risk at all. If you develop a system that regularly canes the bookies they will ban you from gambling with them. So what if someone takes a few £mill off them via dodgy means, I never bet on sports anyway so it has absolutely no impact on me whatsoever. History records the winners and I'm sure in as little as 5 years time the majority of peole will have forgotten who the Pakistani players were and which test match they bowled a few hookie balls in."

The reason i raised it ..was not specifically the cricketalthough it is the most current example along with darts and snooker,but sport in general which seems corrupt at all levels and in many sports. The issue of the bookies getting clipped is a interesting by-product .

But i dont understand the media frenzy with sport any more,there has been so many "top" sportsmen and women caught doing dodgy stuff...why are they still filling colunm inches and held up as the great and the good to us all,when the real good ...who go quietly about the world making it a better place get ignored....weird world eh

In my opinion sports folks are pretty low in the list of people I would consider a role model.

Ego and greed seem to be the watchwords with many of them.

I'll tell you a few role models though. I once saw 2 pensioners picking up litter on Barnes Common one morning when I lived in London. Doing it because they want the place to be nicer for everyone. That's a role model.

It's the teacher that inspires you that you CAN do something rather than knocking people down with sarcasm. That's a role model.

It's Mums and Dads turning out on cold winter's mornings to do shitty jobs they would rather not do, but they do it for their kids.

That is a role model.

It isnt some pillock getting 100 grand a week knocking a ball about for the likes of Chelsea and coming out with glib lines for vapid ad campaigns.

Real heroes and heroines.... I salute you!

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"

"

I wouldn't..... mind you I was being sponsored by Reebok at the time..... never forgave nike for the 1st ever pair of trainers I bought that crippled my achiles...

besides done the whole "advert/ local tv" thing.... not all it is cracked up to be.....

"

Real heroes and heroines.... I salute you! "

you forgot the pork pie fillers of melton mowbray

They hold a special place in my heart the pork pie people but I cant say why here lol.

I just find a lot of the sports folks fake these days. A cheesy grim and a ker-ching.

Not all of them but there are some very insincere folks holding themselves up as role models.

» Add a new message to this topic