FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > weatherspoons pubs?

weatherspoons pubs?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

What are people's views on these? Good value for money or full of Britain's finest?

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Any pub that sells Erdinger gets the from me.

Their breakfasts are good too

Bit of both...lol

Not in them often but they're fine for what you get.

Some resemble 'Star Wars Bar'

"What are people's views on these? Good value for money or full of Britain's finest?"

I think they are awesome.But I'm bias as I work for them lol.

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I have one at the top of my street about a 30 second walk. We often just pop in for something to eat instead of me cooking dinner, or getting a take away.

Its always busy and have some good deals on.

For us it just serves a purpose

Round our way they are nice in the day time but I'd avoid at night

Ours is just full of piss artists and parafin lamps although the Farmhouse brekkie is good

By *its_n_piecesCouple  over a year ago

terrible venues .... i hate the way they rip the arse out of beautiful old buildings, the cellarmen haven't a clue how to keep real ale, the food is dire, zero atmosphere, too impersonal and there's far too many of them now to a point where they are contributing to the closure of many free houses and independents.

Two words

Cheap nasty

By *obbytupperMan  over a year ago

Menston near Ilkley

"Two words

Cheap nasty"

I can imagine Big Tim chuckling at this as he counts the millions. He caters to a mass market and does it admirably.

By *ilmiss75Woman  over a year ago

Thornton

As a pub there ok...but the food is shite!

There's one in our village, and threw u.3 day particularly week days it just full of the dregs or society getting pissed, but on a Friday and Saturday night it changes and becomes the place to be really everyone goes there,

I quite like the food there burgers are nice, and on a Sunday afternoon if we want a beer I get 9 bottles of sol, and a bottle of wine for Mrs l for 22 quid, that's a proper bargain so it's thumbs up from me

"What are people's views on these? Good value for money or full of Britain's finest?"

I like them

I drink real ale and to be fair they don't do that bad a job, the difference in price from others reflects any deficiency.

We have also a pub nearby that wins CAMRA awards and the quality is undeniable, but the price is far higher.

They're the Ford of pubs, you'll get get a good deal but they're not a Mercedes.

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

Best of both worlds, my biggest negative is waiting ages at the bar when ours is rammed on a Saturday night

"Best of both worlds, my biggest negative is waiting ages at the bar when ours is rammed on a Saturday night"

Yeah this is the only issue I have with them, they seem to think 1 member of staff to every 50 people is a good ratio

We,re a nation of beer drinkers or booze Thats what some of the spanish resorts Think. I like to think the village Local is part of our culture in the uk,Perhaps into the 15th century I think Does anyone know before that..??

"We,re a nation of beer drinkers or booze Thats what some of the spanish resorts Think. I like to think the village Local is part of our culture in the uk,Perhaps into the 15th century I think Does anyone know before that..??"

I watched a documentary that said meade was the building blocks of society, basically people got together to trade but stayed together because of alcohol, which formed the towns and societies going way way back in to the bc's

"Two words

Cheap nasty

I can imagine Big Tim chuckling at this as he counts the millions. He caters to a mass market and does it admirably. "

I don't care what he thinks, does he still serve up bongo pretending that it is genuine beef?

The food is crap and he isn't getting my money

Still cheap, still nasty!

By *ixson-BallsMan  over a year ago

Blackpool

weatherspoons gets a up from me...

I'm barred from my local one since I called the manager a numpty who couldn't manage his way out of brown paper bag, had no idea how to speak to customers or staff and that he wouldn't know a good pint if it bit him on the ass! Unsurprisingly I'm not bothered!

By *isscheekychopsWoman  over a year ago

The land of grey peas and bacon

Some of them are absolute shit holes and some are really nice. You get what you pay for I like the fact that they have different beers from America from independent breweries. The food is ok. Some staff have a lot to be desired in some of them. I've been to some great ones with great service and ive been to horrid one with shit service. I have to say though Frankie and bennys outweigh the shit factor for me

By *ertiVogtsMan  over a year ago

Exeter

Cheap and cheerful !

"We,re a nation of beer drinkers or booze Thats what some of the spanish resorts Think. I like to think the village Local is part of our culture in the uk,Perhaps into the 15th century I think Does anyone know before that..??

I watched a documentary that said meade was the building blocks of society, basically people got together to trade but stayed together because of alcohol, which formed the towns and societies going way way back in to the bc's"

Yes I think the monks or (cistercian If thats spelt right) Monks abbots made the first meade here in the uk,I suppose there were forms of "Different drinking dens" going back To the crusades either behind castle Walls or not, but yes going back to The romans they would have had their Own wine "probabily Introduced It here" but yes very Interesting in what You say about building blocks, It is a Part of britains history and is just One part of the jigsaw that people Can Identify with here at Grass Roots level.

I used to like their chicken pasta Alfredo. Haven't been able one for a while now. We favour family run restaurants now

"I'm barred from my local one since I called the manager a numpty who couldn't manage his way out of brown paper bag, had no idea how to speak to customers or staff and that he wouldn't know a good pint if it bit him on the ass! Unsurprisingly I'm not bothered!"

Depends what area they are in, there's only really nice smart one near me that's nice and quiet, good for arranging meets for a drink in, the other two near me seem to just be full of really young people getting pissed and roudey because the beers cheep

"Depends what area they are in, there's only really nice smart one near me that's nice and quiet, good for arranging meets for a drink in, the other two near me seem to just be full of really young people getting pissed and roudey because the beers cheep "
Thats always the case there will Be a downside where alcohol is concerned If the folk drinking it can,t handle it Just part of growing up for some and for some they never grow up where booze is concerned.

The first weatherspoons I ever went in was on broad street Birmingham and it really was a filthy shit hole.

The one here is only a year old and they've kept in keeping with the old building, nice and clean and good staff.

As someone said it depends what area your in.

But there are plenty of lovely places to eat here, if were going out for lunch or dinner. As I said we just use it as a stop gap, and they do have some good deals.

But you get what you pay for, your not really expecting gourmet food at weatherspoons prices.

Yeah it's good value but not what I'd call fine dining.

By *verysmileMan  over a year ago

CANTERBURY

You get what you pay for

Cheap and cheerful, its a 10 from Len! And me! x x

I love the story of the bloke who set them up

By *litheroevoyeurMan  over a year ago

Clitheroe

Good value.

Forum Mod

I can't wait until the pound pub hits our town,will make wetherspoons seen like the ritz when all the regulars disappear

They are what they are,cheap but not always cheerful

Named after the teacher who told the founder he would amount to nothing at school mr Witherspoon

With the price of drinks in London they are always worth a visit for a couple of cheeky ones

By *igeiaWoman  over a year ago

Bristol

I like my real ale and they never keep it well but for a daytime drink and chat I don't mind one. I stayed in a Wetherspoons hotel for a spur of the moment meet before now and it was actually a really lovely room and well cheap.

Most of the Swindon ones are filled with winos and tramps or benefit claimants pissing my money up the wall.

By *icky-discoMan  over a year ago

oxford

They are shit great for cheap beer but no atmosphere I don't like them

By *ce WingerMan  over a year ago

P.O. Box DE1 0NQ

We have 3 in Derby, 2 of which would do well to get someone to actually clear the empty glasses/plates up occasionally

That said, they have a wide selection of real ales, ciders at reasonable prices, but it's not a place I'd take a date to

I quite like them tbh. I think it depends on the area too. There are 2 in chesterfield that are both good for different reasons. The ones in Sheffield vary, some are great and quite flashy whilst others are full of undesirables. Quality of beer and food seems to vary just as much. If you find a good one keep going as they are good at what they do and give good value. If you find a bad one leave asap lol

Our local one serves an excellent pint of a Guinness at a reasonable price. You wouldn't sit in there all night but it's ok for a quick couple.

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

how can you tell they are on benefits ?

personally i think the beer tastes like tramp piss and the service is shite

the food i would not feed to a stray cat and generally the customers smell like an ash tray and have piss stains down there trousers

other than that its all good

The only place you can go that is full of old books and people who will never read them.

Good for a cheap coffee and a pee when desperate.

By *o new WinksMan  over a year ago

BSE

We have a Spoons and Lloyds. The Spoons is full of alchies at 9 having a beer and chaser.

Lloyds, is nicely done out and serves a great breakfast...i love the Eggs Royal.

The Spoons in Bury St Edmonds is great and sells Duvel at a very nice price

By *o new WinksMan  over a year ago

BSE

Oh, and the 'all you can drink' coffee 'til 2 pm is superb value.

By *obbie glasgowMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

There are less of them I. Glasgow and they are generally better. I actually used to work in one and met the chairman. He was a smashing bloke.

End of the day, i had a pint of asahi for 3.45 today. Anywhere else in glasgow it's a fiver

"personally i think the beer tastes like tramp piss and the service is shite

the food i would not feed to a stray cat and generally the customers smell like an ash tray and have piss stains down there trousers

other than that its all good "

Maybe that's just a reflection of the area it is in.

"There are less of them I. Glasgow and they are generally better. I actually used to work in one and met the chairman. He was a smashing bloke.

End of the day, i had a pint of asahi for 3.45 today. Anywhere else in glasgow it's a fiver"

The one near George Square is excellent.

We have two belongings to the parent company and though i am not keen on the no music policy i think they are good at what they do the food is not fine dining but your not paying fine dining money so it's a from me

"terrible venues .... i hate the way they rip the arse out of beautiful old buildings, the cellarmen haven't a clue how to keep real ale, the food is dire, zero atmosphere, too impersonal and there's far too many of them now to a point where they are contributing to the closure of many free houses and independents."

I agree

"personally i think the beer tastes like tramp piss and the service is shite

other than that its all good "

but wasn't Walsall voted the worst town in England a couple of years ago?

Shite service and disgusting food. I would sooner go to Greggs for a sausage roll than eat in there

pmsl meerkat yeah it was actually i think it was voted the fattest ugliest or summat like that lol

nice eh

yeah there a good chance but that said even spoons in nice areas tend to be a bit dodgy from what ive seen

They sell, 'Ruddles bitter' That makes them awesome!

"pmsl meerkat yeah it was actually i think it was voted the fattest ugliest or summat like that lol

nice eh "

We liken weatherspoons to the attic in Derby, cheap, tacky clientele not great but serves a purpose. ...oops did we really say that out loud oh well we'll await the backlash

i hate the maze of pushchairs and chavy moms in the afternoons

"i hate the maze of pushchairs and chavy moms in the afternoons"

What in the attic in Derby, jeez the clientele has got worse

Just because it is cheap does not mean it is good value

"Ours is just full of piss artists and parafin lamps although the Farmhouse brekkie is good"
ours is full of piss heads too..

The wetherspoons I've been in have always been ok.

Pay for what you get, cheap and cheerful and can't knock the quality of the ales in the ones near us

By *4nc3rCouple  over a year ago

Clacton-On-Sea, Essex

I enjoy my local spoons, it's a 5 minute walk from my doorstep even in heels, the food is decent for the price - yes it's standard uniformed meals but atleast you know what you're getting every time.

During the week they do childrens mealsand a separate seating area for food so I'm more than happy to take my little family for a cheap lunch or early dinner.

& At a weekend, drinks are cheap enough and makes a very good place to eat a late dinner, have plenty of pre-drinks while all the friends gather before moving off to the other local clubs/bars.

Thumbs up from me

It might not be the best place around, but it's good at what it does and keeps the price right for hard times.

I imagine they're full of people who would send you a picture of their cock...

By *atelotmanMan  over a year ago

Chatham

Been to quite a few spoons,some serve great tasting food some don't chance you take.The one near me is great if all your looking for is d*unks an drugs.

They are utter bastards to work for.

This might go some way to explaining some of the shit service mentioned a few times above!

By *mooth shaftMan  over a year ago

Edinburgh

"They are utter bastards to work for.

This might go some way to explaining some of the shit service mentioned a few times above! "

agree service can be crap but they do some good guest ales and cheap too.

By *obbie glasgowMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

This might go some way to explaining some of the shit service mentioned a few times above! "

I managed to rip the piss out of them a fair bit! Although I do remember feeding people from the bin

By *icked weaselCouple  over a year ago

Near Edinburgh..

"terrible venues .... i hate the way they rip the arse out of beautiful old buildings, the cellarmen haven't a clue how to keep real ale, the food is dire, zero atmosphere, too impersonal and there's far too many of them now to a point where they are contributing to the closure of many free houses and independents."

Without actually Reading the rest of this Thread.. This sums it up for us..

By *mmabluTV/TS  over a year ago

upton wirral

Used to be good but rubbish these days

By *aeganaWoman  over a year ago

birmingham

foods crap last time I went got the spag bol for my kid and it was just a plate of water was like fuck this its all microwave cheap shit lol they overcharge u for stuff u could get cheaper from the supermarket

And you know this because ?

By *ushandkittyCouple  over a year ago

Gloucester

They can be ok but we try to avoid on friday and saturday nights, as the service is shite and there's only so much Superdry and Abercrombie & Fitch that one can take.

By *eKoopleCouple  over a year ago

Germany / Manchester

Dens of inequity. -Mr.

» Add a new message to this topic