FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > IUS - information from the women please?

IUS - information from the women please?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *ee Viante OP   Woman  over a year ago

Somewhere in North Norfolk

How common is heavier and/or irregular bleeding with one? Does it settle down after a while or is it ongoing?

For someone who hasn't given birth how awful is the fitting?

I'm having no trouble finding information on pros and cons but I'm not having much luck finding reliable statistics on how common or likely the potential problems are.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *adybee77Woman  over a year ago

MAMOBA, miles and miles of bugger all (Aberdeenshire)

I have the mirena, fitted in feb last year. I've loved it.

Can't help on the pre child fitting as I have a wee one, but I did find the fitting uncomfortable - my cervix went into spasm - but the doc then used numbing gel.

The problem with any statistics is they are not yours. You may sail through it.

For me, after the numbing gel, fitting was uncomfortable but easily manageable, I had some bleeding for about 3 weeks after fitting, and now its settled down to very light periods every 5-6 weeks or so (I have PCOS and endometriosis so irregular anyway)

I do occasionally bleed slightly after vigorous sex, but nothing too major.

I miss the pill for planning, but I was told at my age its a no go now.

By *ina75Woman  over a year ago

Stone

Never had heavier bleeding after fitting. Was irregular for first 6 months, sometimes bleeding for 2 days every 2 weeks (but was much lighter ). But then all stopped for the remaining 2 1/2 years.

Had new one fitted afterwards same irregular at first then stopped.

As for the fitting process. It feels like the roughest smear test ever, and a bit like period pain for first couple of days afterwards.

But all in all the best thing I Ever did, my sex life improved immensely afterwards.

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

Fitting in women who haven't given birth is not an issue anymore as long as the person fitting it has experience.

It's not pleasant (feeling like someone is so far up your cooch you think they might pop out of your navel is never going to be dignified) but it's no worse than period cramps.

As for the bleeding, that varies from woman to woman and also on whether it's a mirena or a copper one.

I was a little heavier for about 3 months, probably just an extra day, then it settled down again.

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

I have the mirena fitted for the last few years & it's due for renewal. Not too sure whether to do so or go for the implant.

The fitting was extremely painful & I have a pretty high level of pain tolerance. Afterwards my body tried to reject it by simulating labour pains & I had heavier irregular bleeding for about 9 months.

I stuck with it and things settled. For my age group it seems to be the gynaecologists preferred choice of contraception.

"Fitting in women who haven't given birth is not an issue anymore as long as the person fitting it has experience.

It's not pleasant (feeling like someone is so far up your cooch you think they might pop out of your navel is never going to be dignified) but it's no worse than period cramps.

As for the bleeding, that varies from woman to woman and also on whether it's a mirena or a copper one.

I was a little heavier for about 3 months, probably just an extra day, then it settled down again."

A copper one is an IUD. I'm asking about an IUS, which is the hormone one.

"I miss the pill for planning, but I was told at my age its a no go now. "

I'm still on the combined Pill at 41.

I'm overweight and over 40 so there are risks. I've had a few disagreements with a few doctors over it but basically I can make the argument that I am healthy enough that the risks are lower than someone younger with, say, high blood pressure. So far I've won the arguments, convinced them it's my risk to take, and I'm still on the Pill.

However, I want to stop taking (o)estrogen and there's no way I have a hope in hell of remembering to take the mini Pill in a 3 hour window every day.

The implant is an option, as is an IUS.

"I have the mirena fitted for the last few years & it's due for renewal. Not too sure whether to do so or go for the implant.

The fitting was extremely painful & I have a pretty high level of pain tolerance. Afterwards my body tried to reject it by simulating labour pains & I had heavier irregular bleeding for about 9 months.

I stuck with it and things settled. For my age group it seems to be the gynaecologists preferred choice of contraception. "

I don't much care what their preference is! It's my body and it's my preference that counts. I'll listen to their advice, of course, and it could be that the reasons they present will make sense and I'll agree with their preference. If not, I'll stick with what I choose.

I'm not a great fan of having health matters dictated to me.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

I've been recommended the mirena coil following some irregular bleeding i have been having on the implant so am very interested in this thread!

By *iamondsmiles.Woman  over a year ago

little house on the praire

I know at one time they wouldn't fit them in women that hadn't had children.

First one I had felt like a red hot poker going through my stomach and I was in pain for a week but I'm on my third now and in 15 years I've had one random period best thing ever invented

"I've been recommended the mirena coil following some irregular bleeding i have been having on the implant so am very interested in this thread!"

I've read a lot of official and medical info but I need some real world experience to help me decide.

I have the mirena coil fitted. Bleeding was very irregular to start with but settled after about 6 months. I still get bleeding but it's much much lighter and shorter than my periods used to be. I can't comment about the without having kids bit as I have 2.

Oh and it has hormone replacement so good for when you go through the menopause, I've got two years left with this one and then they will take blood tests to see whether the menopause has happened and I will get one more fitted.

I think you can have them done under local anaesthetic if need be. Not sure how they do it with women who haven't had babies as your cervix isn't opened

"I have the mirena fitted for the last few years & it's due for renewal. Not too sure whether to do so or go for the implant.

I stuck with it and things settled. For my age group it seems to be the gynaecologists preferred choice of contraception.

I don't much care what their preference is! It's my body and it's my preference that counts. I'll listen to their advice, of course, and it could be that the reasons they present will make sense and I'll agree with their preference. If not, I'll stick with what I choose.

I'm not a great fan of having health matters dictated to me."

Absolutely, I meant it in the way that you have to be clued up and prepared to push for alternatives.

That's why I'm researching the implant at the movement ~ as I know if left to the medical profession they'd be more than happy to poke another mirena up there!

Hi

I had one fitted in the hope it would reduce the fibroid I had. I didn't get on with it at all and had awful bleeds. In fairness, that could have been down to the fibroid. In haven't had kids and found the fitting was uncomfortable and pinched a bit rather than painful. Sometimes they give a local anaesthetic when fitting it. After 4 uncomfortable months my body rejected it. And I think I remember in the blurb that I was given the chances of this happening are higher in women who haven't had kids. The percentage was quite low but may be a considconsideration for you.

K

I'm not a great fan of having health matters dictated to me.

Absolutely, I meant it in the way that you have to be clued up and prepared to push for alternatives.

That's why I'm researching the implant at the movement ~ as I know if left to the medical profession they'd be more than happy to poke another mirena up there!

"

As above, I am still on the combined Pill at 41 and overweight because that's what I want!

I agree, always make up your own mind, go in fully informed and push for what you want.

"I've been recommended the mirena coil following some irregular bleeding i have been having on the implant so am very interested in this thread!

I've read a lot of official and medical info but I need some real world experience to help me decide. "

Everyones experience will be different though depending on what else is going on in your body. I agree it helps to hear other opinions on the subject.

I never had heavy or irregular periods in the 1st place so can't comment as to whether it would help. Not all woman have loss of periods though with an IUS fitted.

"I've been recommended the mirena coil following some irregular bleeding i have been having on the implant so am very interested in this thread!

I've read a lot of official and medical info but I need some real world experience to help me decide.

Everyones experience will be different though depending on what else is going on in your body. I agree it helps to hear other opinions on the subject.

I never had heavy or irregular periods in the 1st place so can't comment as to whether it would help. Not all woman have loss of periods though with an IUS fitted."

True, I'd like an idea of probabilities though.

If 90% say they found it excruciating and it caused heavy, irregular bleeding, it will give me pause for thought.

If 90% say it's wonderful, marvellous and has been nothing but a godsend, I'm going to be less concerned.

I know my mileage may vary from the consensus but it's always good to get an overview from others.

I never had heavy or irregular periods in the 1st place so can't comment as to whether it would help. Not all woman have loss of periods though with an IUS fitted.

If 90% say they found it excruciating and it caused heavy, irregular bleeding, it will give me pause for thought.

If 90% say it's wonderful, marvellous and has been nothing but a godsend, I'm going to be less concerned.

I know my mileage may vary from the consensus but it's always good to get an overview from others. "

if you type in mirena coil there's been quite a lot of threads on the subject

By *rcticFoxxxWoman  over a year ago

Hereabouts

I had the copper fitted and ended up in hospital. I've been offered the 'Jaydess' one which is aimed at women who havent had children as it's much smaller. I'm going to try it.

By *eryBigGirlWoman  over a year ago

East Yorkshire

My gp who is trained to fit coils is still adament that they are not a good option for women who haven't had children. I'm 43 overweight and use the mini pill as the best option. I certainly don't take it within a 3 hour daily window and admit sometimes forget completely for up to 2 days without any problems but then it's not for contraception that I use it. It's great I have no side effects and not had a period in years ??

I was really happy with the mirena coil. Did hurt loads having it put in, but my periods got lighter and i didn't have any problems with it coming out. You have to check it hasn't come out after your period, coils can do this apparently?

Had to have it removed after 18 months because my smear tests showed abnormalities, and they couldn't find anything wrong so put it down to the coil must have been causing an infection. It didn't hurt at all when i had it removed.

I know my mileage may vary from the consensus but it's always good to get an overview from others. if you type in mirena coil there's been quite a lot of threads on the subject

"

Thanks

Had a mirena for a couple of years and loved it. Have had to have it removed for other reasons and I miss not having to worry about bleeding or taking pills.

The fitting for me wasn't too bad at all (I don't have children), but the doctor recommended I have the anaesthetic injection first. I went straight back to work afterwords and it wasn't really any worse than normal period pain.

The spotting probably took 2-3 months to totally stop, and I had some problems with my skin, but once it settled down I found it no bother at all.

I advise trying to go to someone who is used to fitting them, rather than a GP who might do one a fortnight. Oh, and removal was pretty quick and easy too.

"My gp who is trained to fit coils is still adament that they are not a good option for women who haven't had children. I'm 43 overweight and use the mini pill as the best option. I certainly don't take it within a 3 hour daily window and admit sometimes forget completely for up to 2 days without any problems but then it's not for contraception that I use it. It's great I have no side effects and not had a period in years ??"

I got a completely different response from the doctor who fitted mine, there was no reason younger childless women shouldn't try it.

By *trawberry-popWoman  over a year ago

South East Midlands NOT

I had a mirena for 5 years, loved it.

Irregular bleeds for first 6 months but not particularly heavy.

Initial fitting was sooo painful though! And removal was also unpleasant. Anyone who says it's no worse than period cramps is blimming lucky!

Now on pill, haven't had a period in 6 years since the mirena settled down.

I've had 2 Mirenas now , on my 9th year! I've no children and suffer migraines so the COC was out for me. I had the implant for about 10 months proior to theMirena and had horrendous mood skins, acne and persistant heavy/light bleeding so went for the Mirena as I cannot remember the pill. I've not had a period for 18 months, had regular spotting for about 6 weeks after fitting but am now period free! Fitting was slightly toe curly at times by no worse than a rough smear for me although the family planning consultant was very gentle and swift. He said always come to a family planning clinic for fitting as they fit thousands a year compared to 1 or 2 a month that GPs fit.

It's so liberating not having periods and remembering to take a pill. My hair is also really shiny and thick compared to pre coil times and I don't get awful period pains anymore (bonus)!

If go for it but book in with the Family Planning clinic x

Not had children, I had the mirena for the first 5 years and no bleeding. Considering I never really stopped before it was brilliant.

I developed a problem and they kept falling out due to fibroids, had an op in the end which eliminated the need for one and sorted all my problems.

By *oobsandballsMan  over a year ago

st andrews

I've been on the Merina 2 years, no problems getting it fitted, on a par with a smear I'd say.

I had very heavy bleeding before which the coil has stopped, now occasionally get a very light bleed for a few hours.

I'll definitely get another one when this one needs replaced

Im onto my third mirena coil now and never had any problems with irregular bleeding at all. The fitting and removal aren't pleasant experiences but are necessary for the peace of mind and benefit of not having heavy painful periods so the pros far outweigh the cons IMHO x

By *iuliettaWoman  over a year ago

DEVIZES

"Im onto my third mirena coil now and never had any problems with irregular bleeding at all. The fitting and removal aren't pleasant experiences but are necessary for the peace of mind and benefit of not having heavy painful periods so the pros far outweigh the cons IMHO x "

Same here, on my third one... Fitting is a few twinges but I was still able to cycle home from the doctors afterwards. some random bleeding for about 3 months but after that it stops for the next 5 years, removal- didnt feel a thing ... wish I had discovered it years earlier.

The Dr says that the light bleeding after sex is due to the nylon threads touching the cervix

I would say it no worse than getting a smear done, maybe a bit of cramping after.

"

The Dr says that the light bleeding after sex is due to the nylon threads touching the cervix"

I've never heard that before. Usually if you bleed after sex its something to monitor and not accept as 'normal'....?

By *empting Devil.Woman  over a year ago

Sheffield

For some the mirena is fantastic, but not everyone gets on with it and if you don't it can be a nightmare with heavy bleeds and hormonal swings.

Is there a reason why an IUD is not being suggested?

By *iuliettaWoman  over a year ago

DEVIZES

"

The Dr says that the light bleeding after sex is due to the nylon threads touching the cervix

I've never heard that before. Usually if you bleed after sex its something to monitor and not accept as 'normal'....?"

Perhaps I should have said spotting, not bleeding, well not even spotting really, anyway, I have had it checked out a couple of times and all was pronounced fine

By *anatee175Couple  over a year ago

Sunderland

Thanks for opening the thread very interesting indeed.

My GP has just advised me to have a coil fitted. I have PCOS and am going through the "change" I have had no kids. He's put me on a pill to ease my period for the minute.

I also noticed the someone suggested that it get fitted at the family planning clinic so I think I'll ask to have it fitted there.

Claire

"

I've never heard that before. Usually if you bleed after sex its something to monitor and not accept as 'normal'....?

Perhaps I should have said spotting, not bleeding, well not even spotting really, anyway, I have had it checked out a couple of times and all was pronounced fine"

Ah okay, it's good you have checked it out

I had the mirena coil and I hated it, I felt every month that I was pregnant and had to have it removed because the pregnancy symptoms weren't pleasant. I am very sensitive to hormones though so no pill would do either.

» Add a new message to this topic