FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > New laws to stop Cold Calls.And how do you deal with cold calls?

New laws to stop Cold Calls.And how do you deal with cold calls?

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

Imposing fines of up to £500,000 on the companies behind cold calls and nuisance text messages is to become easier under changes to the law being made by the government ... I get a lot and some days 4 or 5 and it drives me mad so I will be glad they are doing more to stop them . How do you deal with cold calls.? I now say sorry they are not in .. when asking if in.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

They wind me up no end. I was fitting kitchen work tops for the mother in law yesterday and was struggling to lift a heavy piece in, my phone went so I stopped to answer it only for it to be a ppi call, so annoying.

By *izzy RascallMan  over a year ago

Cardiff

They piss me off, but in the long run I can see the govt saying 'Unemployment has risen'. A lot of these companies will stop trading forcing loads back onto the job seekers allowance

Sometimes I just let them waffle in I tell them how great whatever they're offering sounds, they give yuk the while sales pitch which I go along with and when they try to seal the deal I just say oh I'm not looking for that at the moment, if I was I'd have called you. Waste their time and they don't like it

Two already this morning. I can't be rude to them or hang up as Id feel guilty as they're just doing their job.

I always just say no thank you

"Two already this morning. I can't be rude to them or hang up as Id feel guilty as they're just doing their job.

I always just say no thank you "

I at times say no thanks and they still run on ... so now say no ones in I am the cleaner , lol

I used to work in a call centre. Minimum wage and it was the only job available straight after Christmas. I hated doing it to people but I had bills to pay.

Some people were complete twats to me, thinking they were being funny, or worse creepy or threatening!

On our system we had a call back system. If we had a phone call where they said could we talk to them later as they were going out or something, we'd click call back and set between what hours they would like the call.

If someone was incredibly obnoxious, it was easy to set them up with a follow up call.

The best way is to be really polite and just ask to be taken off the list. The more polite you are, the more likely the person on the end of the phone will be nice to you.

Another one is say you are renting so you can't authorise new windows/a new kitchen or whatever.

Also register with the TPS (telephone preference service) which means if someone calls you once they are registered, the company can get massively fined.

Nothing made me hang up quicker than someone saying "What's your name? I am registered with the TPS, what company are you calling from?".

But I don't think the TPS covers overseas callers.

I had an overseas company phone me several times over several days recently.

I kept hanging up and they still phoned. Finally I explained I wasn't interested and I understood he had a job to do but I used to work in a call centre too and I knew he could get me off their list. I old him I hoped he had a good day and was generally nice to him.

They stopped phoning me.

Don't forget you are talking to a human being (who hates their job!).

"I used to work in a call centre. Minimum wage and it was the only job available straight after Christmas. I hated doing it to people but I had bills to pay.

Some people were complete twats to me, thinking they were being funny, or worse creepy or threatening!

On our system we had a call back system. If we had a phone call where they said could we talk to them later as they were going out or something, we'd click call back and set between what hours they would like the call.

If someone was incredibly obnoxious, it was easy to set them up with a follow up call.

The best way is to be really polite and just ask to be taken off the list. The more polite you are, the more likely the person on the end of the phone will be nice to you.

Another one is say you are renting so you can't authorise new windows/a new kitchen or whatever.

Also register with the TPS (telephone preference service) which means if someone calls you once they are registered, the company can get massively fined.

Nothing made me hang up quicker than someone saying "What's your name? I am registered with the TPS, what company are you calling from?".

I kept hanging up and they still phoned. Finally I explained I wasn't interested and I understood he had a job to do but I used to work in a call centre too and I knew he could get me off their list. I old him I hoped he had a good day and was generally nice to him.

They stopped phoning me.

Don't forget you are talking to a human being (who hates their job!). "

Yes I am going to look at TPS told they don't stop all but some ... it will help I hope.. as its driving me nuts here.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

The laws and rules are already in place... What has been announced is that interpretations are changing

In the past you had to show that the calls caused distress..... Now that is being remove

I don't get a great deal of them as I am on telephone preference, and most that do call usually hang up when informed of this.

It seems the latest fad is accident claims.

I've had two of these. The latest one, a couple of days ago, I thought i'd have a bit of fun with.

They call you up to talk to you about your car accident. What accident? Exactly. A big assumption.

So we start talking and he asks me when I had my accident.

So I told him. 1990.

'Oh!'

Let's just say that the call didn't last very much longer after that.

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

The last one I got was telling me I had worked in a noisy environment and could be up for compensation....so I said " pardon ? " " can you speak up a bit ?" I cant hear you, can you talk louder ?" and they put the phone down....result

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"They wind me up no end. I was fitting kitchen work tops for the mother in law yesterday and was struggling to lift a heavy piece in, my phone went so I stopped to answer it only for it to be a ppi call, so annoying. "

lol it isn't compulsory to answer it you know

"I used to work in a call centre. Minimum wage and it was the only job available straight after Christmas. I hated doing it to people but I had bills to pay.

They stopped phoning me.

Don't forget you are talking to a human being (who hates their job!). "

Good post with good advice.

I must get 2 a day from PPI saying I need to make a claim.

"Imposing fines of up to £500,000 on the companies behind cold calls and nuisance text messages is to become easier under changes to the law being made by the government ... I get a lot and some days 4 or 5 and it drives me mad so I will be glad they are doing more to stop them . How do you deal with cold calls.? I now say sorry they are not in .. when asking if in."

I put my 7 year old on the phone she loves it but they never seem to stick around for long

"Imposing fines of up to £500,000 on the companies behind cold calls and nuisance text messages is to become easier under changes to the law being made by the government ... I get a lot and some days 4 or 5 and it drives me mad so I will be glad they are doing more to stop them . How do you deal with cold calls.? I now say sorry they are not in .. when asking if in.

I put my 7 year old on the phone she loves it but they never seem to stick around for long "

Yes I bet they soon hang-up .......... I just wish I could speak in German or French to them .. Not English.

I find a flirty come-on, or a nonsense answer sorts them out. Its not abusive, just puzzling to them. I don't get them for a few weeks then I will get one or two a day for a few days.

Why should WE have to sign up for TPS? When its them in the wrong. Personally I blame the insurance companies with regard to compensation calls. They sold your details on.

One thing to remember, if you have to take an item back to a shop, and they ask for personal details, they only want them to sell them on. If they insist its "company policy", let them know what the law says your entitled to do. If they still insist, make up the name and address. Phone number? Haven't got one. Email? Haven't got one.

I get power companies ringing me to swap over, I tell them I have plumbed my gas into next doors, and I'm wired to the lampost for electricity. I even had an argument with, I think, AOL when they rang to ask me if I wanted to swap to them for phone. Broadband etc.

"I haven't got a phone".

"But your talking to me on one now."

"No I'm not."

"You are, I can hear you."

"No you can't."

"I can!"

"Its just in your head"

They put the phone down eventually.

"I find a flirty come-on, or a nonsense answer sorts them out. Its not abusive, just puzzling to them. I don't get them for a few weeks then I will get one or two a day for a few days.

Why should WE have to sign up for TPS? When its them in the wrong. Personally I blame the insurance companies with regard to compensation calls. They sold your details on.

One thing to remember, if you have to take an item back to a shop, and they ask for personal details, they only want them to sell them on. If they insist its "company policy", let them know what the law says your entitled to do. If they still insist, make up the name and address. Phone number? Haven't got one. Email? Haven't got one.

I get power companies ringing me to swap over, I tell them I have plumbed my gas into next doors, and I'm wired to the lampost for electricity. I even had an argument with, I think, AOL when they rang to ask me if I wanted to swap to them for phone. Broadband etc.

"I haven't got a phone".

"But your talking to me on one now."

"No I'm not."

"You are, I can hear you."

"No you can't."

"I can!"

"Its just in your head"

They put the phone down eventually."

I wish I could put them on hold and play rock music to them .. see how long they last .

Forum Mod

O o O oo

"

."

Lots of companies seems to sell them on so I give a made up one until I decide whether I want to buy from them or not. I am registered with TPS but still get odd ones but then I assume they have got my number from people I have actually bought from, which is naughty as I normally click or say don't pass my details on.

Used to get about 6 a day,bought a call blocker and peace and quiet now.

"Used to get about 6 a day,bought a call blocker and peace and quiet now."
where do you get a call blocker be nice to know . Had so far 2 call today but every time my phone go I now think its one of them .

I just don't answer them I can usually tell by the number if its a nuisance caller.

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

if they have an accent I keep saying sorry can you repeat that they soon get fed up

I got caller display on my house phone from BT. It usually flashes up as Unknown / International.

Should however I di answer a call,mutually there is a delay when I say hello. If there is a delay, I hang up.

If they do start to speak I just say, not interested and put the phone down.

We literally get between 7-15 calls a day!

By *essiCouple  over a year ago

suffolk

Hubby will tell the cold caller he's just the burglar...if I answer I have been known to say hello Dave's sperm bank, you spank it we bank it, how may I help.....

the silence is golden lol

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

think you have the wrong number every time they ring

"I got caller display on my house phone from BT. It usually flashes up as Unknown / International.

Should however I di answer a call,mutually there is a delay when I say hello. If there is a delay, I hang up.

We literally get between 7-15 calls a day!"

I cant see the numbers on my phone maybe that may help me if I can see numbers . 7-15 I would be going nuts I am at 5 a day ..

By *omaMan  over a year ago

Glasgow

When I get a cold call I just say "hold the line, I'll go get the home/phone owner"

I then place the phone down and carry on with what I'm doing, leaving them hanging on. . After a minute or so they hang up and don't call back.

"I got caller display on my house phone from BT. It usually flashes up as Unknown / International.

We literally get between 7-15 calls a day! I cant see the numbers on my phone maybe that may help me if I can see numbers . 7-15 I would be going nuts I am at 5 a day .."

I do go nuts! Sometimes it's one after the other, the other day I had four in ten minutes!

I subscribe to the BT service, doesn't cost much though! I just had a look in their website and it's now £1.75 a month.

We literally get between 7-15 calls a day! I cant see the numbers on my phone maybe that may help me if I can see numbers . 7-15 I would be going nuts I am at 5 a day ..

I do go nuts! Sometimes it's one after the other, the other day I had four in ten minutes!

I subscribe to the BT service, doesn't cost much though! I just had a look in their website and it's now £1.75 a month."

Thanks for that I shall look into it. xx

By *reelove1969Couple  over a year ago

bristol

if i dont know the number i tend not to answer the call ...i dont understand the need to play silly games with the person

making the call ..they are just doing their job

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

It's gotten to the point where if I don't know the number I no longer take the call.

"It's gotten to the point where if I don't know the number I no longer take the call. "
so far now had 3 calls and today I just put the phone down I said nothing and no call back straight after . When I am doing stuff gets on my tits.

I tell them that they cant speak at the moment as it is rude to talk with a mouth full of my cock! Usually gets a quick hang up!

By *horltzMan  over a year ago

heysham

I unplugged my land line , and my dog sorts out the ones that knock

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

I have caller display, if I don't recognise the number I don't answer.

If I have nothing better to do I try and keep them on the phone for as long as possible. Giving them a load of codswollop answers to their stupid questions. Then when it gets down to the nitty gritty and they want my bank details or something personal I just say no thanks and hang up.

It must piss them off but I see it as getting my own back for being disturbed.

By *ezebelWoman  over a year ago

North of The Wall - youll need your vest

I never answer the landline as the only people that call are cold-callers.

The ones to the mobile really irritate me and even though Im registered with TPS and I update it regularly the buggers still sneak through

By *atelotmanMan  over a year ago

Chatham

I wait till they say what they are calling me about,an tell them "think you have the wrong number, this the Trading Standards Office for Medway" Its funny how quick the line goes dead.

By *inaTitzTV/TS  over a year ago

Titz Towers, North Notts

I'm thinking of using them as an audience for trying out material on.

"I'm thinking of using them as an audience for trying out material on. "
Yes have a go ...... let me know how you get on .. I feel like getting a horn or something that makes a noise and letting them here I am not happy as words don't work . Yes I know its there job and they must get a lot like me whos hate calls.

By *illwill69uMan  over a year ago

moston

More window dressing!

As most of the companies that flout the rules are based abroad these new laws will have very little effect.

Your welcome

I use to get loads, until someone told me to tell them that you rent the house off someone.

After a few replays like that the calls to my landline dropped by 75%.

Any unknown calls to my mobile I don't answer

By *ig1gaz1Man  over a year ago

bradford

im polite on a first call with telesales and make it clear i dont want these calls

if they call again im not as ive ripped there heads clean off

ppi always an answer machine and ive had the fraud computer one and that was fun to do

it kinda makes it interesting when you quote that you have gained access to there computer system and have just made a copy and im now going to crash your computer

How about telling them you can see them, right now, your standing just outside their building? Suit, dark glasses, briefcase a knowing smile and a device capable of beaming a very intense elect_omagnetic wave which will knock out all their telecommunications, computers and may even leave them sterile.

I think I might make one. Couple of AA batteries, a magnet, a laser pointer and a shoebox covered in tin foil. You never know, it might scare em off!

By *risky_MareWoman  over a year ago

...Up on the Downs

I said no and hung up on one once and they got so pissed off they rang back five times, I kid you not!!

"I said no and hung up on one once and they got so pissed off they rang back five times, I kid you not!! "
I had the same thing two weeks ago ........ I had PPI call saying make a claim and I said I cant chat people here ........ 5 mins after again they call I was really angry I had people here and them asking about banking and stuff ..

By *lttattoocoupleCouple  over a year ago

Worcester

I appreciate they are annoying but I hated how rude people are. I have stories on what happens to the people who are rude to cold callers and you would hate were you info ends up

By *umpkinMan  over a year ago

near the sounds of the wimborne quarter jack!

I have caller display on my phone. If the number is withheld or I don`t recognise it, I ignore it!

"I appreciate they are annoying but I hated how rude people are. I have stories on what happens to the people who are rude to cold callers and you would hate were you info ends up "
Well we had one 5 mins ago .. she said I am not selling nothing and I said no thanks .. put the phone down . when you get over 5 a day it gets on your tits ,

"I have caller display on my phone. If the number is withheld or I don`t recognise it, I ignore it!"
when I go into town I am getting one too ...

Worcester

"I appreciate they are annoying but I hated how rude people are. I have stories on what happens to the people who are rude to cold callers and you would hate were you info ends up Well we had one 5 mins ago .. she said I am not selling nothing and I said no thanks .. put the phone down . when you get over 5 a day it gets on your tits ,"

Appreciated, there was a comment earlier how they are human beings. I completely agree, but when someone tells you to go kill yourself 5 times a day when your only trying to help that person a) save mmoney b) have a warmer home c) receive a big cheque. People will only put up with so much. Hence spam sites for your email, adding your address to spam mail sites and putting your number on yet more spam sites.

1 particular guy was so rude to me he must now be receiving 100's of emails a day for gay porn and 'meet a granny'

Worcester

There is no reason why a human being should abuse another.

Be nice and be kind and people will return it

#hippymentality

I had my new phone and number one day before I got a bloody accident claim call. They are usually automated ones so I just hang up. I say no thank you to real people and block any that show a number. Sometimes it's nice to hear a friendly voice

"There is no reason why a human being should abuse another.

#hippymentality"

Did the hippys send gay granny poem to each other ?

Land line is ex-directory mobile number is registered with that register that takes you off cold call lists so I plain and simple dont get any cold calls! Get loads of spam texts though. I hope this new law stops that.

By *rank_SimoneCouple  over a year ago

Bideford

We pick up phone and say nothing for 5 plus seconds. If no one speaks then we hang up.

By *aynek80Man  over a year ago

Wirral

In the passed I have played along with them. Once was a window company. They asked the same old question how many etc. Gave the number and you could tell the guy nearly feel off his chair. He got all excited saying would I like a cost in getting them done. To which I said your 2 weeks late! Just had them all replaced!! His voice dropped!

That's been my best one.

My dad answered the phone once and said something like "sherry's whore house"

By *eforfuncplCouple  over a year ago

Morecambe

"Sometimes I just let them waffle in I tell them how great whatever they're offering sounds, they give yuk the while sales pitch which I go along with and when they try to seal the deal I just say oh I'm not looking for that at the moment, if I was I'd have called you. Waste their time and they don't like it "
. Brill I had the annoying cunts come to my house then fucked em off !!! So annoying you should av seen their little faces ! Priceless bye bye twats xxxx

By *eforfuncplCouple  over a year ago

Morecambe

"There is no reason why a human being should abuse another.

#hippymentality"

Yeah right !! U ansa a phone 20 times a day you won't be so hippy then lol xxx

By *iss_Samantha_LovecockTV/TS  over a year ago

bmth /poole sometimes blandford

i just say hang on a minute then leave them hanging

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

i tend to be polite and just say no ty if its a company doing a 'survey' etc..

when its a scam call i ask them why are they engaged in dishonest practises..

door callers are just people trying to earn a living usually so just say no ty..

though i did tell one young couple who said 'your roof looks old and could be dangerous' that they should at least learn about roofing before they try and frighten people..

» Add a new message to this topic