FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > car theft and insurance

car theft and insurance

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *icksfocus OP   Man  over a year ago

Pontefract

Had my car stolen on wednesday, thought i was completely covered on insurance ie hire car etc, but found out now i only get hire car for 7 days and if car is not found then they will not pay out for 6 weeks.

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

You never need insurance until you need insurance, and then the buggers always try and wriggle out of it.

It's a real bug-bear of mine. They'll happily take your money and put your premiums up year by year but when it comes to making a claim they would rather slit their own wrists before coughing up. Gits.

By *ig badMan  over a year ago

Up North :-)

"Had my car stolen on wednesday, thought i was completely covered on insurance ie hire car etc, but found out now i only get hire car for 7 days and if car is not found then they will not pay out for 6 weeks. "

Pretty much the norm alas. If it had been found then the repair company will prob lend you one.

Pontefract

dont think i would want it back now. Not as though i went for cheap car insurance either it is with a big name

"Had my car stolen on wednesday, thought i was completely covered on insurance ie hire car etc, but found out now i only get hire car for 7 days and if car is not found then they will not pay out for 6 weeks. "

I don't know about your policy; in fact it's been ages since I read mine but I suspect the stuff you don't have - car hire till yours is found or your claim is settled, quick payout etc - are all available but at increased premium.

The insurance business has allowed itself to compete almost entirely on the basis of the cheapest premium as opposed to the best cover for the individual motorist's needs.

A low premium BUT you have to fund alternative transport for 5 weeks turns out not to be such a bargain after all.

By *teborahCouple  over a year ago

warrington

What type of car was it?

Pontefract

and i had just put £40 worth of diesel in it that just adds insult to injury

Pontefract

"What type of car was it?"
Audi A3

So you had doubled its value too

By *teborahCouple  over a year ago

warrington

how did they take it? They have a pretty good immobiliser.

"and i had just put £40 worth of diesel in it that just adds insult to injury"

.... so only about 2 gallons then? Thay won't get far

Pontefract

no idea but then again some people make a living getting round security systems.

Pontefract

"and i had just put £40 worth of diesel in it that just adds insult to injury

.... so only about 2 gallons then? Thay won't get far "

getting thatway isn't it. £1.30 a litre, 4 and a half litres to a gallon, thats nearly £6 a gallon. I remember people going mad when it reached £1 a gallon

...... 1 word comes to mind *CUNTS* shocking is it ok to name n shame the said insurance company ? so anyone on here reading this knows NOT to go with them.

* crEEps roUnd graVyarD *

Pontefract

"Had my car stolen on wednesday, thought i was completely covered on insurance ie hire car etc, but found out now i only get hire car for 7 days and if car is not found then they will not pay out for 6 weeks. ...... 1 word comes to mind *CUNTS* shocking is it ok to name n shame the said insurance company ? so anyone on here reading this knows NOT to go with them.

* crEEps roUnd graVyarD * "

Shall i name and shame? Suggestions please

By *ensualfire88Man  over a year ago

Edinburgh

Rather than naming and shaming, you'd be better saying "Read the small print".

i.e - make sure that what you think you are buying is what you are actually getting, rather than making the assumption.

Pontefract

"Rather than naming and shaming, you'd be better saying "Read the small print".

i.e - make sure that what you think you are buying is what you are actually getting, rather than making the assumption."

Yeah but got told i got a courtesy car, and assumed (wrongly) that i would have it until claim was sorted, not just for 7 days. Anyway still not got courtesy car at moment as there isn't one available!

By *ensualfire88Man  over a year ago

Edinburgh

'assumed' is the operative word.

I know it's a bitch right now, because you're in the situation etc...but never believe the hype, always check the small print.

No courtesy car available doesn't come as a huge surprise either to be honest - you're at the back of the queue, they've got your money (and you, by the balls) so there's really no rush from their point of view...

I don't think that there is such a thing as a 'good' insurance company. Some are just a little bit less unscrupulous than others, but all of them are parasites.

A friend of our is trying to get insurance for his 18 year old who's just past his test. On a 1 ltr corsa not sure of year but its a few years old the lowest quote is 4 thousand and that's only third party, fire and theft. Its outrageous the prices they charge.

"A friend of our is trying to get insurance for his 18 year old who's just past his test. On a 1 ltr corsa not sure of year but its a few years old the lowest quote is 4 thousand and that's only third party, fire and theft. Its outrageous the prices they charge."

A bit off topic but a good thing for young drivers is the Pass Plus certificate , it costs about £60 from your driving instructor takes 3 or 4 hours and gives 2 years no claims bonus recognised by pretty much all insurance companys , my daughter whos 18 reduced her costs on one of my policys from £1200 to under £700 for a 5 year old 1.2 clio

Most cars these days, if they're fairly new are taken with the keys, the little buggers break into your house to steal the key to make taking the car so much easier ...sleep with your keys I say lol

About 10 years ago I spent quite a lot of money on an advanced driving course. It was a good course provided by The Institute of Advanced Motorists and I was examined by a police class 1 examiner. It was a very interesting course from which I learned a lot of things.

I did it for 2 reasons - to brush up my then 20years of driving and iron out any bad habits and the other reason being that I'd 'get cheap insurance'

Yeah right !! At the time (it may be different now) there was only 1 company who offered the discount for a member of the IAM ! The company was called Turret insurance, so I gave them a call to find out how 'cheap' I was going to be insured.

After all came to all, with my 'discount' it was going to cost me more than I was paying with my current insurer

"A friend of our is trying to get insurance for his 18 year old who's just past his test. On a 1 ltr corsa not sure of year but its a few years old the lowest quote is 4 thousand and that's only third party, fire and theft. Its outrageous the prices they charge."

That's maybe because they have experience of the outrageous way some 18 year olds drive.

"Most cars these days, if they're fairly new are taken with the keys, the little buggers break into your house to steal the key to make taking the car so much easier ...sleep with your keys I say lol"

Very true i've heard that a lot , i leave most of my keys where my 3 dogs sleep , best of luck to anyone stupid enough to try and steal em

By *eppersCouple  over a year ago

telford

Insurance what a joke, lol gotta have it,then they find any reason not to pay out, my aunt paid her insurance only had one claim in 20yrs for a small bump, changed her insurance company regularly so getting the best quote after 15yrs continued to do the same thing,except this year she forgot to tell them about the accident she had 20yrs ago, had to make a claim this year as had a bump in the snow,and because she forgot to tell them about the claim 20years ago, they are refusing to pay out on this claim, even criminals don't have to disclose things that are classed as spent,and they have voided her insurance it now looks possible that she is going tobe prosecuted by the police now for having no insurance. THE Bastards.

By *atisfy janeWoman  over a year ago

Torquay

"Rather than naming and shaming, you'd be better saying "Read the small print".

i.e - make sure that what you think you are buying is what you are actually getting, rather than making the assumption."

Couldn't agree more.....blaming the insurance company because someone hasn't read the terms of the policy is a bit daft....

Reading the small print is one thing - interpreting the bloody thing is another ...

Bottom line of it is - insurance companies, and they are not alone in this, make the 'small print' so vast and so complicated that if you ever reach the bottom of the page you are confused to fuck .... unless of course you have a degree in law ...

"Most cars these days, if they're fairly new are taken with the keys, the little buggers break into your house to steal the key to make taking the car so much easier ...sleep with your keys I say lol

Very true i've heard that a lot , i leave most of my keys where my 3 dogs sleep , best of luck to anyone stupid enough to try and steal em "

Loll us too - we have German Shepherd and an American Bulldog who'd be only too happy to discuss the pitfalls of breaking in and trying to get the keys

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Sorry to say but although I am sure the insurance company only tell you that you wll get a courtesy car and not how long for....it is down to you to read the T&C's...so assuming anything doesn't have a leg to stand on.

The OH used to laugh at me because I always read the small print, but this proves everyone should ( although sometimes you need a magnifying glass)

"( although sometimes you need a magnifying glass)"

And a law degree

By *i 1 Get 1 FreeCouple (MM)  over a year ago

birmingham

"Reading the small print is one thing - interpreting the bloody thing is another ..."

I always ask what I'm NOT covered for rather than them tell me what I am covered for, point being, just renewed breakdown cover for both cars, the guy was going on about what's included, I asked what's NOT included, he said “I've never been asked that before”

Finding out what's NOT included makes it easier to add if required.

telford

But how many times when you phone for a quote or do it online do you get to see the full terms and conditions,It's only when you've parted with your dosh and cover is in place do you get to see whats covered and whats not covered in a policy,And in the real world do you really want to spend weeks of your life reading terms and conditions for 2 hours and then be non the wiser after,insurance of any description relies on the fact that we can't or won't be bothered, Insurance companies should be more transparent and more honest and upfront about what is and isn't covered instead of hiding in bullshit and legal speak that even a solicitor doesn't understand.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

Most insurance companies we have dealt with give you 14 days to read the policy and T&C's, if you changed your mind they refund any money you have paid.

Forum Mod

O o O oo

OH and PS...yes they should be more transparent as as you say, they rely on people not reading the small print.

Torquay

"But how many times when you phone for a quote or do it online do you get to see the full terms and conditions,It's only when you've parted with your dosh and cover is in place do you get to see whats covered and whats not covered in a policy,And in the real world do you really want to spend weeks of your life reading terms and conditions for 2 hours and then be non the wiser after,insurance of any description relies on the fact that we can't or won't be bothered, Insurance companies should be more transparent and more honest and upfront about what is and isn't covered instead of hiding in bullshit and legal speak that even a solicitor doesn't understand."

By law if you have been sold a policy over the phone or online you have a 14 day cooling off period once the policy has arrived with you.....there really is no excuse for not having read a policy as you have adequate time to pull out of the deal.

telford

We had a dog from the dogs trust that came with a months free insurance,when we enquired about taking the insurance up full time we went on the net to get quote, we settled on one which wasn't the cheapest or the dearest so middle of the road when policy came I like a sad bastard sat here and read it, and decided NAH to many conditions and clauses, so decided to phone them back and cancel said insurance policy, that was 2 months ago I'm still waiting for the refund to hit my account.

telford

Yes Jane in an ideal world we all would read the policy, if only we understood half of what it says. Or even had the inclination to try and read something where the print gets smaller and smaller until we lose the will to live.

Torquay

How complicated can a paragraph on a courtesy car be?.....jesus christ, we are not talking about quantum physics here.

Surely if anyone found anything they were not absolutely sure about they would ring the Insurer?

It all comes down to the fact that some people can't be arsed about trivial things....why is everyone in such a rush these days?

"But how many times when you phone for a quote or do it online do you get to see the full terms and conditions,It's only when you've parted with your dosh and cover is in place do you get to see whats covered and whats not covered in a policy,And in the real world do you really want to spend weeks of your life reading terms and conditions for 2 hours and then be non the wiser after,insurance of any description relies on the fact that we can't or won't be bothered, Insurance companies should be more transparent and more honest and upfront about what is and isn't covered instead of hiding in bullshit and legal speak that even a solicitor doesn't understand.

By law if you have been sold a policy over the phone or online you have a 14 day cooling off period once the policy has arrived with you.....there really is no excuse for not having read a policy as you have adequate time to pull out of the deal."

Yes it comes under 'distance selling' as does anything else bought online or via phone but reading the small print and actually understanding it are two totally different things .. not everyone can cope with the jargon and slippery cop out clauses that most insurace companies include in their T&C's

"How complicated can a paragraph on a courtesy car be?.....jesus christ, we are not talking about quantum physics here.

Surely if anyone found anything they were not absolutely sure about they would ring the Insurer?

It all comes down to the fact that some people can't be arsed about trivial things....why is everyone in such a rush these days?"

What you need to remember Jane is this - Not everyone is a quantum physician and not everyone can understand the insurance company blerrrrrb, but unfortunately even thick people need insurance !

» Add a new message to this topic