FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Computer advice plz..

Computer advice plz..

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

I removed my hard drive and replaced it with another (from dif computer)...do I need a reboot disc??

I have tried looking for advice online, but it goes way over my head :o(

Reply privately, Reply in forum +quote or View forums list

By *b430Man  over a year ago

Tayside

Did the replacement hard drive have an operating system on it already?

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

If it was working in the other PC then it should boot up if the operating system is still on it.

"Did the replacement hard drive have an operating system on it already?"

Yes...

Ok guys.....thanx!!!

Iv obviously messed somethin else up....will have another go...

Cath xx

Tayside

"Ok guys.....thanx!!!

Iv obviously messed somethin else up....will have another go...

Cath xx"

Check the "jumpers" on the back of the hard drive to see if they are set to the same as the one you took out e.g. "master" or "cable select" etc - It could be that

Make sure the power and connection cables are defo in, they can be a little stiff to get on...ooh eer.

I find pushing the valves down hard works most times x

"

I removed my hard drive and replaced it with another (from dif computer)...do I need a reboot disc??

"

Was the hard drive you replaced it with from a PC with only one hard drive in it, or two?

If it was two then the new hard drive may have been configured to be a slave (you can tell by the way the jumpers are set). There will be a jumper on two pins with another pin not used. You move the jumper so it occupies the middle pin and the one that wasn't used.

If the new hard drive was the only drive in the pc you got it from then you may have to put it back in the pc you took it from and format the drive.

Then put it in the pc you want to use and reinstall your operating system.

There is absolutely no point in asking me. I lost it when I read your first line and the bit saying, replaced it with dif computer. I thought the dif was a computer term - d.i.f. It was a few minutes before I realised that it was a shortened form of the word different.

Im going to lie down now

Tayside

"

Was the hard drive you replaced it with from a PC with only one hard drive in it, or two?

If it was two then the new hard drive may have been configured to be a slave (you can tell by the way the jumpers are set). There will be a jumper on two pins with another pin not used. You move the jumper so it occupies the middle pin and the one that wasn't used.

If the new hard drive was the only drive in the pc you got it from then you may have to put it back in the pc you took it from and format the drive.

Then put it in the pc you want to use and reinstall your operating system."

Don't go formatting the hard drive if it worked in the old PC it should work in the other one too, after checking the jumper settings on the drive itself that is and not all jumper settings are the same for all hard drives.

You may need to let windows load drivers for the different hardware e.g. motherboard, etc but only format the drive as a last resort.

» Add a new message to this topic