FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Harambe shot dead

Harambe shot dead

Jump to: Newest in thread

By (user no longer on site) OP     over a year ago

was this right or wrong?

Cincinnati zoo has temporarily shut its gorilla exhibit following the incident on Saturday.

The boy had fallen about 10ft into the moat. Video on YouTube shows the boy in the shallow moat looking up at the gorilla who is in contact with the child but, in the footage shown, makes no attempt to harm him.

Two female gorillas in the enclosure did not approach the child and were unharmed

But the boy was then reportedly dragged by the 17-year-old male western lowland gorilla named Harambe for about 10 minutes

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By *heBirminghamWeekendMan  over a year ago

here

Wrong

And the zoo should seek damages from the parents

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

As a parent I would say right, but it's just an awful situation and I'm guessing all involved wish the situation had never happened.

I'm also assuming the zoo staff have protocols in place to follow and I'm assuming that the use of tranquillisers was deemed risky or useless (maybe they aren't fast acting enough?).

But kids do stupid things. All kids do. My kids do. You can't prevent children from doing stupid things 100% of the time. I suspect that seeing their child in potentially mortal danger is punishment enough for the parents. I doubt it was a pleasant experience for them.

I've seen one of my kids nearly die after doing something silly and impulsive, and it will stick with me every day for the rest of my life.

Children have always managed to outsmart their parents or do things they shouldn't..... its the nature of being a child....

Kids stick crayons up their noses but we don't ban crayons...... kids get their heads stick in railings but we don't ban railings...

The Zoo being a duty holder has the obligation to take all reasonable steps to prevent any member of the public accessing the area where the Gorilla was housed..... (reasonable being the operative word)

In the circumstances shooting the Gorilla was the safest way to end the situation......

Surely no-one should be suing anyone.... or complaining about what happened other than people who disagree with keeping wild animals in captivity .....

I think keeping animals locked up for our own amusement is wrong in the first place.

Not sure if you saw the article yesterday of a naked man willingly jump into a lion's enclosure.

2 lions ended up being shot.

Now where is the justice in that?

Shot the wrong animal in my eyes.

By *horltzMan  over a year ago

heysham

Wrong , the gorilla showed no aggression whatsoever , although if it were my son I may have thought differently in the heat of the moment

"I think keeping animals locked up for our own amusement is wrong in the first place.

Not sure if you saw the article yesterday of a naked man willingly jump into a lion's enclosure.

Shot the wrong animal in my eyes."

I would presume the man probably has mental health issues.

Shame the gorilla couldn't have been shot with a tranquelizer dart instead though.

A x

Child should not have been able to fall in. Zoo should have adapted the enclosure to stop it happening.

Parents should have also looked after their child you are ultimately responsible for your child.

Both at fault for the magnificent creatures death.

This kid now has to grow up with the incident on his conscience.

And as for those poor lions.

Hate zoos but see the increasing need for them.

Regardless of right or wrong, it is so sad to see such a beautiful and endangered gorilla being put down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmtCQCX7sFo

Sad day.

Agree, the enclosure should have been safer. And we shouldn't keep animals in captivity anyway.

To be honest, I think it's crueler to keep such large wild animals in small enclosures than it is to have shot them. At least the death was quick.

And didn't the guy who jumped in with the lions have mental health problems? So much for mental health awareness campaigns, let's just shoot them all.

By *oyce69Man  over a year ago

Driffield

Looking at the videos it doesn't look like Harambe was trying to hurt the child, if anything he appears to be trying to help. A sad day.

It's down to ethics and to a certain extent profit margins.

If the animal had decided to kill the child it could have done at the drop of a hat. Could anyone stand by and do nothing while a 4 year old child is killed? I know I couldn't.

Secondly the zoo has an image to uphold. Safety of the visitors is number 1 and the animals are way down the list.

I personally think it was the correct decision even if it's unfair on the animal.

"Wrong , the gorilla showed no aggression whatsoever , although if it were my son I may have thought differently in the heat of the moment"

The problem is that male gorillas are totally unpredictable. In the wild they regularly kill young gorillas who are not there own offspring...this is their natural instinct.

This was a 400lb animal. The child was in real and imminent danger. A sad situation, but little choice for authorities.

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

It was certainly handled differently from this case:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jambo

Not having been there, nor knowing the animal, I can't comment on whether or not it should have been, I guess one has to trust the keepers' judgement, since killing the animal they have cared for must have been hard for them

Mr.ddc

Animals shouldn't be in zoos. And if we are going to put them in zoos then we need to take personal responsibility for the danger we put ourselves in around them.

I don't know the exact circumstances, but I will say that I immediately wonder where the parents were in all of this. We all talk about how dangerous and unpredictable these animals are, and yet the parents of this child clearly weren't carefully enough with this kid around said dangerous and unpredictable animals.

We bring animals into our environment and then kill them when we are stupid enough to put ourselves in danger. I guess that's one way to interact with nature.

"Animals shouldn't be in zoos. And if we are going to put them in zoos then we need to take personal responsibility for the danger we put ourselves in around them.

I don't know the exact circumstances, but I will say that I immediately wonder where the parents were in all of this. We all talk about how dangerous and unpredictable these animals are, and yet the parents of this child clearly weren't carefully enough with this kid around said dangerous and unpredictable animals.

We bring animals into our environment and then kill them when we are stupid enough to put ourselves in danger. I guess that's one way to interact with nature. "

Damn effing right

"Animals shouldn't be in zoos. And if we are going to put them in zoos then we need to take personal responsibility for the danger we put ourselves in around them.

We bring animals into our environment and then kill them when we are stupid enough to put ourselves in danger. I guess that's one way to interact with nature. "

^^^ this

By *olgateMan  over a year ago

on the road to nowhere in particular

If it weren't for zoos and conservation programmes many of these animals would be extinct by now. Zoos have came a long way from the days of concrete cages and iron bars. Conservation has a price and being run along business lines helps to pay for that. Not all zoos are perfect, neither are people.

I hate zoos. I had to visit our local zoo in Paignton on business a while back. The elephants and giraffes are in a concrete dustbowl. The baboons on a concrete island. There was a zebra that looked distressed and was banging it's head against a post.

I found the whole experience upsetting and would never return.

By *abioMan  over a year ago

Newcastle and Gateshead

"Shame the gorilla couldn't have been shot with a tranquelizer dart instead though.

A x"

they said this would have been their preferred option... but it would have taken too long for it to work...

and for those 2nd guessing the zoo.... where the gorilla may have looked okay to you.... who know the gorilla better than the zoo themselves....

at the point where the gorilla grabs the child i think the option was taken out of their hands....

because if anything had happened to the child... could you imagine the sort of conversation we would be having now.....

"If it weren't for zoos and conservation programmes many of these animals would be extinct by now. Zoos have came a long way from the days of concrete cages and iron bars. Conservation has a price and being run along business lines helps to pay for that. Not all zoos are perfect, neither are people. "

Conservation zoos are necessary, and public visiting is the only way to keep them open and running. But some are a lot better than others, and surely not all zoos are run for conservation reasons?

The key word here is personal responsibility and sadly people look to excuse rather than take it in today's society.

wrongs on both sides - so sad to lose such a gorgeous animal that was showing no aggression at all - but if the boy had been killed well that doesnt bear thinking about either - one of those things that happen and one that something had to be done rather than wait for soemthing else to happen

What if he parent was a single parent, trying to do right by her two kids and give them a day trip out with an educational side to it.

Zoo trip. She has two kids, one is ten and the other is 3. Three year old has a meltdown over his ice cream falling off its cone. Mum is trying to calm the kid down and ten year old is bored, wants to get away from the screaming and wanders off. Ends up climbing to try and get a better view of the gorilla and falls in.

I can think of a billion scenarios like this where the parents weren't irresponsible, and the ten year old had bad judgement (like all ten year olds do).

When I'm down the park or in soft play, it's amazing how parents don't even watch their 2 year olds over 50% of the time.

There's no way any parent follows a ten year old around like a hawk.

"was this right or wrong?

Cincinnati zoo has temporarily shut its gorilla exhibit following the incident on Saturday.

The boy had fallen about 10ft into the moat. Video on YouTube shows the boy in the shallow moat looking up at the gorilla who is in contact with the child but, in the footage shown, makes no attempt to harm him.

Two female gorillas in the enclosure did not approach the child and were unharmed

But the boy was then reportedly dragged by the 17-year-old male western lowland gorilla named Harambe for about 10 minutes"

I don't believe in zoos for starters. Enter such enclosures at your own risk. There's always a risk being near wild animals. Many people do not understand this and think they're invincible. Children should be educated correctly by responsible adults.

here

"What if he parent was a single parent, trying to do right by her two kids and give them a day trip out with an educational side to it.

Zoo trip. She has two kids, one is ten and the other is 3. Three year old has a meltdown over his ice cream falling off its cone. Mum is trying to calm the kid down and ten year old is bored, wants to get away from the screaming and wanders off. Ends up climbing to try and get a better view of the gorilla and falls in.

I can think of a billion scenarios like this where the parents weren't irresponsible, and the ten year old had bad judgement (like all ten year olds do).

When I'm down the park or in soft play, it's amazing how parents don't even watch their 2 year olds over 50% of the time.

There's no way any parent follows a ten year old around like a hawk."

There are no excusable scenarios!

"What if he parent was a single parent, trying to do right by her two kids and give them a day trip out with an educational side to it.

I guess this is where we differ. I still blame the parent(s) in this scenario. If the animals are dangerous then the parents shouldn't put themselves in such a position where a distraction over an ice cream meltdown (or whatever he excuse) would result in the killing of a critically endangered animal. I think that's criminal negligence.

But the boy was then reportedly dragged by the 17-year-old male western lowland gorilla named Harambe for about 10 minutes

I don't believe in zoos for starters. Enter such enclosures at your own risk. There's always a risk being near wild animals. Many people do not understand this and think they're invincible. Children should be educated correctly by responsible adults. "

I guess this is where we differ. I still blame the parent(s) in this scenario. If the animals are dangerous then the parents shouldn't put themselves in such a position where a distraction over an ice cream meltdown (or whatever he excuse) would result in the killing of a critically endangered animal. I think that's criminal negligence. "

Spot on

If a parent can't watch their children even if they're 10 then perhaps that's the wrong environment to be in.

I guess this is where we differ. I still blame the parent(s) in this scenario. If the animals are dangerous then the parents shouldn't put themselves in such a position where a distraction over an ice cream meltdown (or whatever he excuse) would result in the killing of a critically endangered animal. I think that's criminal negligence. "

I agree with you marc.courtney

Shoot the Gorilla. Next.

When I was 10 I was walking to cricket practice with my brother when a 16 year old male with learning difficulties slipped his parents at the park. He proceeded to strangle me from behind to the point of passing out. Took my brother breaking his shoulder nose and cheekbone with a bat for him to let me go.

The Parents blamed me for wearing a bright T shirt as it set the poor chap off and my brother (who was devastated) for being a thug! At no point would they accept any blame and even tried to press charges against my bro.

Parents need to accept resonsibility for the child's welfare and actions at all times surely?

"When I was 10 I was walking to cricket practice with my brother when a 16 year old male with learning difficulties slipped his parents at the park. He proceeded to strangle me from behind to the point of passing out. Took my brother breaking his shoulder nose and cheekbone with a bat for him to let me go.

The Parents blamed me for wearing a bright T shirt as it set the poor chap off and my brother (who was devastated) for being a thug! At no point would they accept any blame and even tried to press charges against my bro.

Parents need to accept resonsibility for the child's welfare and actions at all times surely?"

it's a fucked up world we live in at times.

"When I was 10 I was walking to cricket practice with my brother when a 16 year old male with learning difficulties slipped his parents at the park. He proceeded to strangle me from behind to the point of passing out. Took my brother breaking his shoulder nose and cheekbone with a bat for him to let me go.

Parents need to accept resonsibility for the child's welfare and actions at all times surely? it's a fucked up world we live in at times. "

Ditto.

I hate the thought of the gorilla being killed through no fault of its own, the scenario should never have been allowed to happen in the 1st place.

I know though it would have been unacceptable to put the gorilla's welfare before that of a human being & if one of my kids had been stupid enough to fall in I would have expected nothing less.

"I hate the thought of the gorilla being killed through no fault of its own, the scenario should never have been allowed to happen in the 1st place.

I know though it would have been unacceptable to put the gorilla's welfare before that of a human being & if one of my kids had been stupid enough to fall in I would have expected nothing less.

"

It's a tough one isn't it.

By *riskynriskyCouple  over a year ago

Essex.

The zoo's should have shot the child and the naked man...

More mad men than lions.

More kids being bred than gorillas.

Simple maths.

Darwinism.

By *iverpool LoverMan  over a year ago

liverpool

Getting ready for a back lash here but the shooter should have shot the kid for putting the endangered gorilla in danger.

just becsuse I'm human doesnt mean I think a human life is more deserving or more important to be here on this earth than any other living soul.

"Getting ready for a back lash here but the shooter should have shot the kid for putting the endangered gorilla in danger.

just becsuse I'm human doesnt mean I think a human life is more deserving or more important to be here on this earth than any other living soul."

Though not quite as severe, but I think the parents should be charged for reckless endangerment of the child; and the bill by the zoo for the cost of the whole thing

"Getting ready for a back lash here but the shooter should have shot the kid for putting the endangered gorilla in danger.

just becsuse I'm human doesnt mean I think a human life is more deserving or more important to be here on this earth than any other living soul."

You might think that but do you back up your thoughts by being vegetarian, buying products that aren't tested on animals & checking that your tattoo ink contained no glycerin, gluten or bone char...?

your not gonna get shot down, we all have views and interests at heart

liverpool

just becsuse I'm human doesnt mean I think a human life is more deserving or more important to be here on this earth than any other living soul.

You might think that but do you back up your thoughts by being vegetarian, buying products that aren't tested on animals & checking that your tattoo ink contained no glycerin, gluten or bone char...?"

I am vegan if that helps

"If it weren't for zoos and conservation programmes many of these animals would be extinct by now. Zoos have came a long way from the days of concrete cages and iron bars. Conservation has a price and being run along business lines helps to pay for that. Not all zoos are perfect, neither are people. "

I think zoo's are wrong full stop. Animals should be in the wild where they can die en mass from the destruction of their natural habitat or poachers.

You might think that but do you back up your thoughts by being vegetarian, buying products that aren't tested on animals & checking that your tattoo ink contained no glycerin, gluten or bone char...?

I am vegan if that helps"

Yes that does, makes it more credible that you think of animals as sentient beings.

[Removed by poster at 29/05/16 12:43:40]

By *piritsonfabCouple  over a year ago

Nottingham

You might think that but do you back up your thoughts by being vegetarian, buying products that aren't tested on animals & checking that your tattoo ink contained no glycerin, gluten or bone char...?"

I'm sure with views like that the poster is veggie at the very least....

I haven't seen the report but it makes me sick, poor creature and poor females left behind. Not saying they had much choice but....

Idiot child and idiot parents.

I haven't seen the report but it makes me sick, poor creature and poor females left behind. Not saying they had much choice but....

Idiot child and idiot parents."

The children and the parents were citizens of dumbfuckistan

By *kin BohnerMan  over a year ago

derby

I doubt anyone on here is an expert in gorilla behaviour and I also doubt anyone on here was there when this happened.

There are times in life you have to trust the experts on the sene. Other than that I have no view on it.

By *LCCCouple  over a year ago

Cambridge

"Wrong , the gorilla showed no aggression whatsoever , although if it were my son I may have thought differently in the heat of the moment"

The gorilla was dragging the child through the water at high speed. The child could easily have drowned or been injured. A gorilla of that size could easily have killed the child. It was in contact with the child and dragging it around. It wasn't on the other side of the enclosure just looking at him.

In situations like that I can see no alternative what's so ever other than shooting that poor gorilla.

As for shooting the kid come on man.

You could have suggested tossing the dumb ass parents in for a distraction I suppose. That may have been a better idea.

"

Please enlighten me as to how the Gorilla was in danger from the ten year old child?

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Keep it civil please

Please enlighten me as to how the Gorilla was in danger from the ten year old child?"

They shot it because of the kid.

Idiot child and idiot parents.

The children and the parents were citizens of dumbfuckistan"

I've done some idiotic stuff in my life as a parent & so have my kids.

Without knowing exactly what went on I'm reserving judgement for the time being.

Please enlighten me as to how the Gorilla was in danger from the ten year old child?

They shot it because of the kid."

Ok. So your child visits a friend. They have a dog. Said dog attacks child. Should the police kill the child for angering the dog and triggering an attack in the dogs own home?

By *entkinkcplCouple  over a year ago

maidstone

Just imagine if it was your own child , you'd be singing a very different story those of you saying was wrong , was awful yes but at the time was the only thing that could of been done with out taking the risk of the gorilla doing harm, to big of a risk in my view to take on a Childs life , especially if its your child in their

By *ugby 123Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

O o O oo

Just looked it up....it is all very sad but I am not sure what else they could have done.

I hate zoos

Essex.

It should be impossible for anyone to get into any animal enclosure from the public areas...

"It should be impossible for anyone to get into any animal enclosure from the public areas..."

It's impossible to stop stupid people doing stupid things

here

"It should be impossible for anyone to get into any animal enclosure from the public areas...

It's impossible to stop stupid people doing stupid things "

and sadly it's often not the stupid people who feel the repercussions of their stupid thing.

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

"I think keeping animals locked up for our own amusement is wrong in the first place.

Shot the wrong animal in my eyes."

People like you make me sad.

Someone of 20 with obvious mental issues/despair deserves less compassion than animals.

Then again why am I surprised? Animal charities can't spend their donation fast enough yet children/elderly/mental health ones struggle.

You're confusing being stupid for being "a child".

here

"You're confusing being stupid for being "a child". "

The parents !

I think the people who want to string up the parents on this thread either don't have children, or have children who... nah they just don't have children.

I could list a billion and one things I've seen virtually every parent do that if it had ended badly could have been awful. And not one of us are charged with negligence surely?

If you have to be following a ten year old around so closely that you need him to be within grabbing distance, I'm sure the parent/s wouldn't have even taken him there.

I've had a 2 year old follow me around inside a soft play enclosure for at least 10-15 mins, who attacked my 18 month old and left him with bad scratches on his face. His grandparents were sitting outside having a coffee, not watching.

Strangely the grandparents weren't charged with assault against my son.

My husband has dived and rescued a toddler from going head first down a ridiculously high slide that took him to a completely separate part of a play centre not accessible easily by any other route - and the parents weren't even able to see the child where they were sat and didn't seem remotely concerned, didn't even say thank you.

Hes also managed to grab one toddler who was about to fall into a lake, parents weren't glued to the kid's side. Shock horror.

Never mind the preschool my kids used to go to where the staff spent most of the time in the kitchen and let 20+ 2 and 3 year olds play unsupervised, despite behaviour problems in some of the kids, and free access to things like scissors, and tying stuff round each other's necks. My son ran straight towards one kid, holding scissors open and I only got to him just in time.

Parents. Do not. Watch their kids. It's just a thing.

And do you know what? If (like me) you do follow your kids around obsessively you're insulted by other parents and called a helicopter parent because "they will never learn independence.

Don't judge the parents (or whoever took the child to the zoo) until you know the facts. And by facts, I don't mean "what was reported by the media" because that's not the same thing.

"I think the people who want to string up the parents on this thread either don't have children, or have children who... nah they just don't have children.

I could list a billion and one things I've seen virtually every parent do that if it had ended badly could have been awful. And not one of us are charged with negligence surely?

If you have to be following a ten year old around so closely that you need him to be within grabbing distance, I'm sure the parent/s wouldn't have even taken him there.

I've had a 2 year old follow me around inside a soft play enclosure for at least 10-15 mins, who attacked my 18 month old and left him with bad scratches on his face. His grandparents were sitting outside having a coffee, not watching.

My husband has dived and rescued a toddler from going head first down a ridiculously high slide that took him to a completely separate part of a play centre not accessible easily by any other route - and the parents weren't even able to see the child where they were sat and didn't seem remotely concerned, didn't even say thank you.

Hes also managed to grab one toddler who was about to fall into a lake, parents weren't glued to the kid's side. Shock horror.

Never mind the preschool my kids used to go to where the staff spent most of the time in the kitchen and let 20+ 2 and 3 year olds play unsupervised, despite behaviour problems in some of the kids, and free access to things like scissors, and tying stuff round each other's necks. My son ran straight towards one kid, holding scissors open and I only got to him just in time.

And do you know what? If (like me) you do follow your kids around obsessively you're insulted by other parents and called a helicopter parent because "they will never learn independence.

Don't judge the parents (or whoever took the child to the zoo) until you know the facts. And by facts, I don't mean "what was reported by the media" because that's not the same thing.

"

Though sad I think the Zoo acted correctly in this situation. Had the kid been injured or killed they would been crucified by the media, lawsuits & their reputation destroyed eventually forced to close.

It's terrible killing an already endangered animal & think the parents do have something to answer for too in this case!

"Shoot the Gorilla. Next."

This

"You're confusing being stupid for being "a child".

The parents !"

Do you give your children 100% supervision?

I do think it's horrific that the gorilla died.

Rather than sue everyone, maybe the parents can be left to get over the shock and the zoo can do the right thing and make all the enclosures more secure from the public (half of which are totally unpredictable, let's be fair!).

And maybe all the other zoos can take note too. Although it's down to money again whether they can improve the enclosures.

Actually fuck it, I blame Disney.

They should be strung up for teaching generations of kids that animals are cuddly and friendly.

Ban all soft toys too.

Oh and pets. In case kids think zoo animals are like pets.

(A kid randomly stroked my dog yesterday and the parents warned her not to touch dogs she didn't know. And no, I didn't think it was negligent that they hadn't taught her correctly before that point. That's what childhood IS! Learning shit!)

By *ildt123Man  over a year ago

Huddersfield

The anti zoo brigade are out in force I see. I agree to an extent they SHOULDN'T be needed, but the vast majority of the worlds fantastic conservation programmes are driven by zoo's they do more good than harm these days. I refused to go to Chester zoo while the horrible polar bear enclosure was there but most do great work these days. The South Lakes Wild Animal Zoo in Dalton in Furness is great and they do loads of fantastic work in conservation and education that help wild animals all over the globe. They find the Sumatran tiger trust 100% and are brilliant, shutting zoos like that would do untold damage.

A sad situation all round I'd say with all involved devastated I imagine. Damned either way probably.

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

"Child should not have been able to fall in. Zoo should have adapted the enclosure to stop it happening.

Parents should have also looked after their child you are ultimately responsible for your child.

Hate zoos but see the increasing need for them. "

I would make sure the kid remembered what his actions ultimately caused, it seems to me that kids get away with things far too easily.

As for the lions, I think people should start to be accountable for their actions.

I think somebody needs to ask the question ''how was a child even able to crawl through the railings into a gorilla enclosure?''

I would imagine the designer of the safety fence was aware that zoos are visited by small children.I would imagine the zoo authorities would be aware that small children move like lightning and you can't possibly watch them all the time and would have taken this into consideration when building the fence.I would imagine there are signs saying things like ''do not feed the animals,,,do not get into the lion enclosure,,,keep an eye on your children''.

A tragic situation,who can really say who is at fault?

One thing is for certain,though...Harambe was not at fault,,,he was just being a gorilla,,doing gorilla-ey stuff,,in a place where he didn't ask to be.

(I very much doubt the person who fired the shot is very happy about all this either).

By *ust RachelTV/TS  over a year ago

Eastbourne

"Agree, the enclosure should have been safer. And we shouldn't keep animals in captivity anyway.

To be honest, I think it's crueler to keep such large wild animals in small enclosures than it is to have shot them. At least the death was quick.

And didn't the guy who jumped in with the lions have mental health problems? So much for mental health awareness campaigns, let's just shoot them all. "

The thing is some zoos are responsible for breeding programs to get wild animals back into their original habitat, so by not keeping them there we run the risk of loosing them forever.

here

The parents !

Do you give your children 100% supervision?"

If I had a three year old and was in a higher risk environment - of course I would!

"Child should not have been able to fall in. Zoo should have adapted the enclosure to stop it happening.

Hate zoos but see the increasing need for them.

I would make sure the kid remembered what his actions ultimately caused, it seems to me that kids get away with things far too easily.

As for the lions, I think people should start to be accountable for their actions."

I see you believe that it's "ok" for the desperate to kill themselves. Good for you. Let's hope when you're desperate you get all the help you need...

FWIW I dont know what to make of those that would rather see a 4 year old child shot dead than the gorilla.

shut the F`ing zoo down

and move the animals to a proper conservation park where they can enjoy a better quality of life if they have to die like this again

By *kin BohnerMan  over a year ago

derby

It's threads like this that help out in choosing who to message or not

The parents !

If I had a three year old and was in a higher risk environment - of course I would!"

Yeah I mean let your kids run riot what the worst that could happen in a zoo. Not to mention all the strangers.........

By *ackDMissMorganCouple  over a year ago

Halifax

"and move the animals to a proper conservation park where they can enjoy a better quality of life if they have to die like this again "

Oh was the kid 4? I thought he was 10?

My brain. It's fucked. I blame the kids.

Yeah kids that age are FAST. You'd better not sneeze and need a tissue out of your bag if you have one.

You'd also better not have twins or triplets. You'd definitely better not have three kids under five unless you want to waive your rights to that's them to a zoo.

I'm guessing the parent/s or whoever they were with wasn't aware that small kids are able to get into the enclosures either, or they may not have blinked in that microsecond.

The parents !

If I had a three year old and was in a higher risk environment - of course I would!"

Do you give YOUR children 100% supervision?

Sad story, a human life over an animal, like most people, it'd be an easier decision if it was my Child.

One thing I will say, a four year old managed to get into an animal enclosure. Not been to the zoo, but on the face of it, it doesn't sound like the 'barrier' or precautions to stop this happening where very well thought out. Not like it was s d*unk 18 year old climbing for a dare.

Strangely I am writing this from my hotel room in Cincinnati...

There is a growing anger here directed at the parents and there are reports, and only reports, that the boy said he wanted to go "in the water with the monkey" and the mom who was minding other children do said a throwaway "whatever". I STRESS THIS IS ONLY A REPORT

All the footage on the news here is of Harambe standing over the boy so, you could say, the female gorillas (who can be way more agressive) stayed away as he was guarding the boy.

All we do know is now we have a traumatised kid who did wrong but is a kid after all and a dead magnificent gorilla whose only crime was to be captive in a zoo where stupid humans have the opportunity to do things, even by accident, like they did yesterday.

The parents !

If I had a three year old and was in a higher risk environment - of course I would!

Yeah I mean let your kids run riot what the worst that could happen in a zoo. Not to mention all the strangers........."

I've been out with my kids today on my own. (I don't like doing it but we can't stay in all week as it's not good for them to have no exercise.)

One managed to get out of my line of sight for maybe 3-4 minutes twice. Despite repeatedly lectures, shouting and threats the whole way there and back. (My voice actually hurts.)

There was a crowd of people between me and him.

My kids are both under the age of 7.

I dare you to come and do better. Do better every single time you take them out. And if you don't, you get judged and slated on a random Internet forum.

Some kids are naturally runners with no fear. Other kids are calmer or anxious and less energetic and stick to you like glue wherever you go. Runner kids ALWAYS get lost or run off. Short of tying them to you, what else do you suggest?

And I can guarantee a parent with runners for kids prevent 100 running off incidents a week. But it's always that 1 that you get judged for.

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"I think somebody needs to ask the question ''how was a child even able to crawl through the railings into a gorilla enclosure?''

I would imagine the designer of the safety fence was aware that zoos are visited by small children.I would imagine the zoo authorities would be aware that small children move like lightning and you can't possibly watch them all the time and would have taken this into consideration when building the fence.I would imagine there are signs saying things like ''do not feed the animals,,,do not get into the lion enclosure,,,keep an eye on your children''.

A tragic situation,who can really say who is at fault?

One thing is for certain,though...Harambe was not at fault,,,he was just being a gorilla,,doing gorilla-ey stuff,,in a place where he didn't ask to be.

(I very much doubt the person who fired the shot is very happy about all this either).

"

This

No parent watches their children 100% of the time. Perhaps they didn't think being in a zoo which should have adequate safety precautions in place was particularly high risk....not like they were traversing a ravine on a rope bridge is it.

Accidents happen and that is what this was. It is tragic to hear that they were unable to sedate the animal rather than kill it but gorillas are fucking dangerous and unpredictable creatures and I am guessing the situation escalated fairly quickly. the op states that the gorilla was reported to have started dragging the child around...not holding it protectively and making sure it wasn't getting hurt.... Dragging it.

The parents !

Yeah I mean let your kids run riot what the worst that could happen in a zoo. Not to mention all the strangers.........

I've been out with my kids today on my own. (I don't like doing it but we can't stay in all week as it's not good for them to have no exercise.)

One managed to get out of my line of sight for maybe 3-4 minutes twice. Despite repeatedly lectures, shouting and threats the whole way there and back. (My voice actually hurts.)

There was a crowd of people between me and him.

My kids are both under the age of 7.

I dare you to come and do better. Do better every single time you take them out. And if you don't, you get judged and slated on a random Internet forum.

Some kids are naturally runners with no fear. Other kids are calmer or anxious and less energetic and stick to you like glue wherever you go. Runner kids ALWAYS get lost or run off. Short of tying them to you, what else do you suggest?

And I can guarantee a parent with runners for kids prevent 100 running off incidents a week. But it's always that 1 that you get judged for. "

Would you be a little more cautious around an open sided gorilla enclosure?

Think id be assuming if Gorillas can't get out, people can't get in.

here

The parents !

Do you give YOUR children 100% supervision?"

And the "your" in capitals is supposed to make a difference to my reply ?

[Removed by poster at 29/05/16 14:50:26]

We should give the Gorillas guns too.. problem solved

evesham

"Think id be assuming if Gorillas can't get out, people can't get in."

And you know what happens when You assume....

High concrete walls fairly hard to climb for gorilla's

Low walled viewing gallery at top of said walls fairly easy to fall over if no other safety measures taken...

"Think id be assuming if Gorillas can't get out, people can't get in.

Low walled viewing gallery at top of said walls fairly easy to fall over if no other safety measures taken..."

1.2m visitors a year. What % of visitors managed to fall in?

here

Low walled viewing gallery at top of said walls fairly easy to fall over if no other safety measures taken..."

And the biggest safety measure is of course - watch what your kids are doing.

By *oachman 9CoolMan  over a year ago

derby

If horambe wanted he,d have killed that kid in a few seconds or more thou a terrifying experience for him I hope he remembers horambe into his adult hood and not for the wrong reasons.

[Removed by poster at 29/05/16 15:43:08]

Low walled viewing gallery at top of said walls fairly easy to fall over if no other safety measures taken...

And the biggest safety measure is of course - watch what your kids are doing."

Which tens of millions of other visitors managed. But yes let's change things so everyone else has to look through wire because one in ten million-ish people are dumb enough to get in there

By *oachman 9CoolMan  over a year ago

derby

Parents need to accept resonsibility for the child's welfare and actions at all times surely?"

The 16 year old should have been locked up in a mental Institute after that scenareo.

I just watched the original news report.

The zoos director said that the child 'was not under attack but anything could have happened'.

It was also stated that the child was between the gorillas legs at the moment of the shooting.

Damn right anything could have happened,,,the kid got through an obviously inadequate safety fence and they shot a 4oolb gorilla who was standing over that kid.How could they possibly know which way Harambe would fall? Or even if he would be killed straight away?

Sometimes people treat Health and Safety as a big joke but sometimes I'm glad we have H+S standards that seem to be so much better than in some other places.A similar incident happened at Paington zoo several years ago,,,,no gorilla was killed there (and no child was killed either).

"I just watched the original news report.

The zoos director said that the child 'was not under attack but anything could have happened'.

It was also stated that the child was between the gorillas legs at the moment of the shooting.

Damn right anything could have happened,,,the kid got through an obviously inadequate safety fence and they shot a 4oolb gorilla who was standing over that kid.How could they possibly know which way Harambe would fall? Or even if he would be killed straight away?

Sometimes people treat Health and Safety as a big joke but sometimes I'm glad we have H+S standards that seem to be so much better than in some other places.A similar incident happened at Paington zoo several years ago,,,,no gorilla was killed there (and no child was killed either).

"

Obviously inadequate safety fence that kept out the other millions of visitors...

"Regardless of right or wrong, it is so sad to see such a beautiful and endangered gorilla being put down

Sad day."

MURDERED you mean

I saw this film, it was called, 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes'.

evesham

Which tens of millions of other visitors managed. But yes let's change things so everyone else has to look through wire because one in ten million-ish people are dumb enough to get in there"

You're right.....we'll let one potentially fatal incident slip through....it's only one after all. I'm sure you'd feel different if you knew the child involved and would be quoting all sorts of relevant legislation and asking for someone to be accountable on health and safety grounds.

Regardless of what was kept in the enclosure, the fall alone was enough to kill, they were just lucky it didn't.

Which tens of millions of other visitors managed. But yes let's change things so everyone else has to look through wire because one in ten million-ish people are dumb enough to get in there

You're right.....we'll let one potentially fatal incident slip through....it's only one after all. I'm sure you'd feel different if you knew the child involved and would be quoting all sorts of relevant legislation and asking for someone to be accountable on health and safety grounds.

Regardless of what was kept in the enclosure, the fall alone was enough to kill, they were just lucky it didn't. "

Yes let's. Maybe the other 99.99999% of the population could actually have some fun if we didn't have to run everything wrapped in cotton wool for the lowest common denominator.

"Regardless of right or wrong, it is so sad to see such a beautiful and endangered gorilla being put down

Sad day.

MURDERED you mean"

How old are your kids fats?

And the biggest safety measure is of course - watch what your kids are doing."

Like you do with your children?

They should have shot the kid and saved the gorilla. There are plenty of spare kids knocking about that nobody wants, but the gorillas are endangered.

Parents need to accept resonsibility for the child's welfare and actions at all times surely?The 16 year old should have been locked up in a mental Institute after that scenareo."

When his parents were too old to cope he was moved to an Autism care home sadly. And I say sadly because it was.

evesham

Regardless of what was kept in the enclosure, the fall alone was enough to kill, they were just lucky it didn't.

Yes let's. Maybe the other 99.99999% of the population could actually have some fun if we didn't have to run everything wrapped in cotton wool for the lowest common denominator. "

Lol how much 'fun' would you be missing really if there were better safety measures? Honestly?

Seatbelts in cars are a nuisance, maybe we should make do without them, after all not everyone has car crashes do they?

You are just being ridiculous. Of course there has to be better safety precautions when there is the potential to fall from a height....There's like laws and everything about it! Yes part of those laws are for everyone to follow the safety advice and not let small children climb on or over them but guess what....children are sneaky little fuckers who like doing the opposite to what you tell them.

I don't know what health and safety laws are like in the US but I'd wager they'd have some regarding this and their HSE equivalent will pay them a visit, much like the HSE did with alton towers after the smiler crash (only one crash and no one died so it was OK apparently) and will impose what ever orders and fines they see fit. I doubt a criminal charge will be bought against the parents.

Yes let's. Maybe the other 99.99999% of the population could actually have some fun if we didn't have to run everything wrapped in cotton wool for the lowest common denominator.

Lol how much 'fun' would you be missing really if there were better safety measures? Honestly?

Seatbelts in cars are a nuisance, maybe we should make do without them, after all not everyone has car crashes do they?

You are just being ridiculous. Of course there has to be better safety precautions when there is the potential to fall from a height....There's like laws and everything about it! Yes part of those laws are for everyone to follow the safety advice and not let small children climb on or over them but guess what....children are sneaky little fuckers who like doing the opposite to what you tell them.

I don't know what health and safety laws are like in the US but I'd wager they'd have some regarding this and their HSE equivalent will pay them a visit, much like the HSE did with alton towers after the smiler crash (only one crash and no one died so it was OK apparently) and will impose what ever orders and fines they see fit. I doubt a criminal charge will be bought against the parents. "

Seat belts aren't comparable since car accidents effect far more than 1 in 20 million people!

All I'm saying is that the more you pander to stupid people then the more of them there will be.

Death to the stupid! Heil!

Essex.

"

"

On the anniversary, every year for the rest of his life, the boy should have to walk round the zoo wearing a gorilla suit.

Whilst wearing a sign saying "I caused the death of a gorilla!"

"Death to the stupid! Heil!"

If you think not wanting to lower every standard to cater for the dumbest possible people is like a Nazi then I see your Hitler and raise you a Stalin.

"Death to the stupid! Heil!

If you think not wanting to lower every standard to cater for the dumbest possible people is like a Nazi then I see your Hitler and raise you a Stalin. "

evesham

"Death to the stupid! Heil!"

and kill them when they are young!! lees time to be stupid then

Google "man who fed himself to lions"

Result 2 lions shot.

Both of these tragic accidents would be avoided by one thing....don't have zoos.

But the boy was then reportedly dragged by the 17-year-old male western lowland gorilla named Harambe for about 10 minutes"

The boy was being dragged to where they could not guarantee his safetly. I hate any cruelty or killing of animals but under the conditions I saw on the news I would have pulled the trigger myself if it was my kid.

They did what they had to, but they shouldn't have been put in that position. Very sad.

"Obviously inadequate safety fence that kept out the other millions of visitors... "

Point taken.The fence did a perfectly adequate job of preventing millions of people, who never had any intention of getting into the enclosure, from getting into the enclosure.

Unfortunately it failed to prevent a small child from doing so.

It was inadequate in the sense that it did not provide 100% safety.

and kill them when they are young!! lees time to be stupid then"

Seems harsh. But I'm inclined to agree. Kill all animals, no need for zoos.

When you take your children to a place where there are potentially dangerous animals,you expect the owners to have anticipated what a person could do and put every conceivable safety measure in place.

"When you take your children to a place where there are potentially dangerous animals,you expect the owners to have anticipated what a person could do and put every conceivable safety measure in place. "

We should also have 6 feet walls at the side of every road on that basis

By *oobsandballsMan  over a year ago

st andrews

I haven't read the story so don't know the ins and outs, but I've just seen one of my friends on Facebook say that it should have been the kid who was shot, followed by the parents.

I'm struggling to get my head around why anyone would want a child shot. Not sure whether to have words or just unfriend quietly

"I haven't read the story so don't know the ins and outs, but I've just seen one of my friends on Facebook say that it should have been the kid who was shot, followed by the parents.

I'm struggling to get my head around why anyone would want a child shot. Not sure whether to have words or just unfriend quietly "

Probably vegan, its a well known fact that they demand all children shot.

"I haven't read the story so don't know the ins and outs, but I've just seen one of my friends on Facebook say that it should have been the kid who was shot, followed by the parents.

I'm struggling to get my head around why anyone would want a child shot. Not sure whether to have words or just unfriend quietly "

Just ignore. People often right some daft things without thinking. As a lot f my past posts will testify to.

"When you take your children to a place where there are potentially dangerous animals,you expect the owners to have anticipated what a person could do and put every conceivable safety measure in place.

We should also have 6 feet walls at the side of every road on that basis"

Do you realise how unrealistic you're being in saying that? Do you know why pedestrians aren't allowed to walk along motorways?

"When you take your children to a place where there are potentially dangerous animals,you expect the owners to have anticipated what a person could do and put every conceivable safety measure in place.

Do you realise how unrealistic you're being in saying that? Do you know why pedestrians aren't allowed to walk along motorways?"

wild gorillas?

Do you realise how unrealistic you're being in saying that? Do you know why pedestrians aren't allowed to walk along motorways?"

A kid running into a street and being hit by a car at 10mph can be killed instantly.

Look up "irony" and "facetious" in a dictionary and you will see how realistic the comment was

By *etter the devil you knowWoman  over a year ago

Lyndhurst

"It should be impossible for anyone to get into any animal enclosure from the public areas...

It's impossible to stop stupid people doing stupid things "

"I doubt anyone on here is an expert in gorilla behaviour and I also doubt anyone on here was there when this happened.

There are times in life you have to trust the experts on the sene. Other than that I have no view on it.

"

If you think not wanting to lower every standard to cater for the dumbest possible people is like a Nazi then I see your Hitler and raise you a Stalin. "

The amount of money spent imprisoning endangered animals, surely would be better spent on rangers guarding them in their own habitat. Someone dod the maths. Secondly, I'm fucking furious this zoo made such a fuck up. The wankers should be closed down. They arw the wrong people to have any animals in their charge let alone seriously endangered animals.. the fucking WANKERS!!!!!

"The amount of money spent imprisoning endangered animals, surely would be better spent on rangers guarding them in their own habitat. Someone dod the maths. Secondly, I'm fucking furious this zoo made such a fuck up. The wankers should be closed down. They arw the wrong people to have any animals in their charge let alone seriously endangered animals.. the fucking WANKERS!!!!! "

Haven't you found a way to link this to the Tory scum yet?

[Removed by poster at 29/05/16 20:52:29]

"The amount of money spent imprisoning endangered animals, surely would be better spent on rangers guarding them in their own habitat. Someone dod the maths. Secondly, I'm fucking furious this zoo made such a fuck up. The wankers should be closed down. They arw the wrong people to have any animals in their charge let alone seriously endangered animals.. the fucking WANKERS!!!!!

Haven't you found a way to link this to the Tory scum yet? "

Oh dear.. Still got a chip on your shoulder?

By *allipygousMan  over a year ago

Leicester

"I think the people who want to string up the parents on this thread either don't have children, or have children who... nah they just don't have children.

"

Crap parents do not watch their kids. Crap parents do not try to instill a sense of danger into their kids. Crap parents blame everything on everyone/everything except their crap parenting.

"The amount of money spent imprisoning endangered animals, surely would be better spent on rangers guarding them in their own habitat. Someone dod the maths. Secondly, I'm fucking furious this zoo made such a fuck up. The wankers should be closed down. They arw the wrong people to have any animals in their charge let alone seriously endangered animals.. the fucking WANKERS!!!!!

Haven't you found a way to link this to the Tory scum yet? "

Oh dear.. Still got a chip on your shoulder?

Oh dear.. Still got a chip on your shoulder? "

So good you had to say it twice?

Oh dear.. Still got a chip on your shoulder? "

It's just nice to see your anger directed elsewhere for a change

That poor innocent caged animal has been killed due to human incompetence on many many levels.

Shameful and extremely sad turn of events in my personal opinion.

Essex.

My mum fell in with the seals as a little girl at London zoo.

Nothing was shot...

Accidents happen, often with regrettable outcomes.

Zoo not liable, lots of 10 year olds didn't fall into the enclosure.

Parents not liable, best will in the world children will run off.

Sometimes shit just happens.

There used to be an exhibit in the bronx zoo in nyc.....the sign read...the most dangerous animal on the planet....just a window with bars....but turned out ut wasn't glass in the window. ...it was a mirror. ..

"

In all these examples you've listed, are you saying it's not the parent's fault?

"There used to be an exhibit in the bronx zoo in nyc.....the sign read...the most dangerous animal on the planet....just a window with bars....but turned out ut wasn't glass in the window. ...it was a mirror. .."

Eh, it's all academic in the end. The gorilla is dead, and so, therefore is the debate.

Children aren't to blame because they're children, parents aren't to blame because fuck if I know why, and we are going through one of the greatest periods of mass extinction in history because human lives are simply more important than all others.

Shoot the gorilla, indeed.

"Eh, it's all academic in the end. The gorilla is dead, and so, therefore is the debate.

Children aren't to blame because they're children, parents aren't to blame because fuck if I know why, and we are going through one of the greatest periods of mass extinction in history because human lives are simply more important than all others.

Shoot the gorilla, indeed."

I have no children so I'm not allowed to blame the parents

By *uvesmuffinCouple  over a year ago

Barking

"Eh, it's all academic in the end. The gorilla is dead, and so, therefore is the debate.

Shoot the gorilla, indeed."

We are..

And they did

Mr Gimp

Shoot the gorilla, indeed.

I have no children so I'm not allowed to blame the parents "

Should we blame the government?

Or blame society?

Or should we blame the images on TV...?

"Accidents happen, often with regrettable outcomes.

Sometimes shit just happens."

Accidents don't happen, accidents are caused

Fuckin' hell this thread makes sad reading for numerous reasons.....

"There used to be an exhibit in the bronx zoo in nyc.....the sign read...the most dangerous animal on the planet....just a window with bars....but turned out ut wasn't glass in the window. ...it was a mirror. .."

That's some pretty deep stuff there.

Accidents don't happen, accidents are caused"

Ironic isn't I, many kids cause accidents, and many kids are caused by accidents.

Canadian News this morning - Monday:

The killing of a gorilla at a zoo in the US city of Cincinnati after a four-year-old boy fell into its enclosure has triggered outrage on social media.

Many said male gorilla Harambe should not have been shot dead as he did not intend to hurt the boy, some using the hashtag #JusticeForHarambe.

Others said the parents should be held responsible for not looking after their child during Saturday's incident.

Zoo officials shot dead the gorilla after he grabbed and dragged the boy.

The zoo said it had taken this action against the the 400lb (180kg) gorilla as the situation was "life-threatening".

Twitter user StrayanRepublic, wrote: "#HARAMBE wasn't dragging him to kill him... he was protecting the child from the threat of screaming tourists. @Xoxjlove @CincinnatiZoo."

Kenz, another user, posted this message: "#JusticeForHarambe its so sad that an endangered animal had to be put down because of careless parenting

Lyndhurst

liverpool

I know they said tranquiliser couldnt be used as it would take too much time to take effect but as soon as the kid went into the enclosure they should have tranq the gorilla....they watched for 10 mins before taking the lethal shot....is 10 mins not enough time for it to kick in?

Ive seen elephants and bears in trees tranquilised and for it to take effect pretty much within a min or two.

such a shame another magnificent creature is murdered because of human stupidity.

"Canadian News this morning - Monday:

The killing of a gorilla at a zoo in the US city of Cincinnati after a four-year-old boy fell into its enclosure has triggered outrage on social media.

Many said male gorilla Harambe should not have been shot dead as he did not intend to hurt the boy, some using the hashtag #JusticeForHarambe.

Others said the parents should be held responsible for not looking after their child during Saturday's incident.

The zoo said it had taken this action against the the 400lb (180kg) gorilla as the situation was "life-threatening".

Twitter user StrayanRepublic, wrote: "#HARAMBE wasn't dragging him to kill him... he was protecting the child from the threat of screaming tourists. @Xoxjlove @CincinnatiZoo."

Kenz, another user, posted this message: "#JusticeForHarambe its so sad that an endangered animal had to be put down because of careless parenting

"

It's yet another example of humans and the direction we're going. I doubt the child, parents give a shit about the gorilla. It shouldn't be in a zoo in thw first place. We've recently made yanksee fresh river dolphins extinct through excessive shipping traffic. Given the time we will eventually wipe everything out.

I read an article, "Easter Island, a Warning For The Future"

Lyndhurst

Too many people are just too stupid to breed and really shouldn't.

It's yet another example of humans and the direction we're going. I doubt the child, parents give a shit about the gorilla. It shouldn't be in a zoo in thw first place. We've recently made yanksee fresh river dolphins extinct through excessive shipping traffic. Given the time we will eventually wipe everything out.

I read an article, "Easter Island, a Warning For The Future" "

This was the point I'm trying to get across.

Has anyone thought about the theory that we are just a big virus?

Multiplying and destroying anything that gets in our way. Isn't that what a virus does?

We are ruining this planet by the day and people fail to recognise it.

Meh, I'm going back to bed. Too early for this

By *ELLONS AND CREAMWoman  over a year ago

stourbridge area

Kids will be kids .....however he shouldnt have been able to fall .... zoo has a health and safety issue here .....which im sure is being investigated...

"Has anyone thought about the theory that we are just a big virus?

Multiplying and destroying anything that gets in our way. Isn't that what a virus does?

"

Well yes, the writer of "The Matrix" thought the human race was a virus, In almost the same words. .

evesham

HSE definition of an accident:

1. an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap: automobile accidents. 2. Law. such a happening resulting in injury that is in no way the fault of the injured. person for which compensation or indemnity is legally sought.

Oxford dictionary definition of an accident;

1. An unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury:

2. An event that happens by chance or that is without apparent or deliberate cause

Well yes, the writer of "The Matrix" thought the human race was a virus, In almost the same words. ."

"

And if the gorilla had mauled the 4 year old boy in front of everyone you can imagine what the Twitter # would be now....

Derbyshire

"

Careful now,

While 'going back to bed' is the preferred method of treatment for a virus, it is also how most of us end up multiplying.

How very Darwinian

Mr ddc

I love the fact so many seem to know what was going through the gorilla's mind at that time

Derbyshire

I'll tell you what though, that Cadbury's advert is looking a little sinister now, a big gorilla, playing drums, tempting little children with chocolate bars, then dragging them around the place. Hangings too good for them, shoot them all, I say

"

Next time I need an expert on animal behaviour I'll have a look on twatter.

I'm quite astounded that so many people would think nothing of killing a 4 year old child to save a fuckin gorilla...that child could grow up to find the cure for cancer or be a worthless member of the human race whereas the gorilla would always just be a gorilla. Some fucked up thinking going on here #kidswillbekids

Next time I need an expert on animal behaviour I'll have a look on twatter. "

What a terrible attitude! Don't you know you are supposed to give a fuck what people on twitter say now? Even though many of the 'users' are actually bots posting automated messages. Not really down with the kids like the BBC are you...

I just feel sad for all involved.

Yes there is negligence / fault (we must always lay blame at someone's door these days!) from the Zoo & the parents but bloody hell don't they know about it with the whole of social media condemning them. One mistake they will never be allowed to forget.

And in the middle of this media circus a little boy had a harrowing encounter & a lucky escape.