FabSwingers.com

FabSwingers.com > Forums > The Lounge > Poor gorilla

Poor gorilla

Jump to: Newest in thread

By *nd-D OP   Couple  over a year ago

portsmouth

That poor gorilla was shot dead because some stupid parent wasn't looking after their child .

Thankfully the child was unharmed. It could of been much worse.

Reply privately (closed, thread got too big)

By (user no longer on site)  over a year ago

Must be great to be perfect parents with children who don't do anything wrong or unpredictable.

"Must be great to be perfect parents with children who don't do anything wrong or unpredictable.

"

Not many parents let their kids fall into a gorilla's enclosure. That's a bit worse than being less than perfect. It's pretty shit parenting.

Been done already.

"Must be great to be perfect parents with children who don't do anything wrong or unpredictable.

Not many parents let their kids fall into a gorilla's enclosure. That's a bit worse than being less than perfect. It's pretty shit parenting. "

Are you a parent?

By *icecouple561Couple  over a year ago
Forum Mod

East Sussex

Hmmmm. I've seen stuff in Facebook about this too.

I respect the decision of the zoo staff who were actually there at the time and since I have no idea of what type of parents these unfortunate people were before the incident am unable to comment on their parenting skills but as the mother of a son who drank Jif when I turned my back for a nano second I don't feel qualified to criticise.

"Been done already."

Yeah, let's let this one go now.

R.i.p to the poor gorilla, and luckily nothing happened to the kid.

Lessons have been learnt.

Now let's get some kip.

Night folks.x

I am glad that the child survived, of course, and having raised 2 children who didn't fall into an animal enclosure, then I also doubt the parental abilities of those who can not manage this....

Not many parents let their kids fall into a gorilla's enclosure. That's a bit worse than being less than perfect. It's pretty shit parenting.

Are you a parent?"

Why does that matter? Im not a policemen but I know letting a criminal go is doing a shit job. I'm not a footballer but I know an own goal is doing a shit job. Letting a toddler fall into a gorilla's enclosure is doing a shit job.

"I am glad that the child survived, of course, and having raised 2 children who didn't fall into an animal enclosure, then I also doubt the parental abilities of those who can not manage this...."

Congratulations, you've passed the extremely low bar of not letting a child fall into an animal's enclosure. You're now perfect at parenting.

Are you a parent?

Why does that matter? Im not a policemen but I know letting a criminal go is doing a shit job. I'm not a footballer but I know an own goal is doing a shit job. Letting a toddler fall into a gorilla's enclosure is doing a shit job. "

Are you a parent?

Why does that matter? Im not a policemen but I know letting a criminal go is doing a shit job. I'm not a footballer but I know an own goal is doing a shit job. Letting a toddler fall into a gorilla's enclosure is doing a shit job. "

Boom

By *erbyDalesCplCouple  over a year ago

Derbyshire

"Been done already."

Yeah, here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jambo

Mr.ddc

By *uby0000Woman  over a year ago

hertfordshire

its very sad that the gorilla died but they had no choice the child was in danger

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I'm a shit parent then. Neither of my kids ever fell into an animal enclosure but stuff happened to them.

You're a tough crowd

"I'm a shit parent then. Neither of my kids ever fell into an animal enclosure but stuff happened to them.

You're a tough crowd"

But you know it was wrong so that makes you a perfect parent

By *nd-D OP   Couple  over a year ago

portsmouth

Oops I didn't mean to start a ruck .

Just saying it's sad for the gorilla .

And I didn't realise it had already been done .

"Oops I didn't mean to start a ruck .

Just saying it's sad for the gorilla .

And I didn't realise it had already been done ."

No worries.x

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I'm a shit parent then. Neither of my kids ever fell into an animal enclosure but stuff happened to them.

You're a tough crowd

But you know it was wrong so that makes you a perfect parent "

It wasn't wrong, it was part of being a parent you simply can't have eyes in the back of your head and bad stuff will happen to your kids while they're in your care unless you stop them doing anything at all.

Derbyshire

"I am glad that the child survived, of course, and having raised 2 children who didn't fall into an animal enclosure, then I also doubt the parental abilities of those who can not manage this...."

I'm a rubbish parent then

When he was ten, our son fell into the goldfish pond trying to stop the football.

Luckily we didn't have to shoot anything though, so there was a silver lining...

You're a tough crowd

But you know it was wrong so that makes you a perfect parent "

Why isn't there a middle ground, without trying to make out everyone is as bad as parents who didn't watch their kid during a high risk situation? It's normal parenting to ensure they don't fall 12ft, and it's normal parenting to ensure they're safe from gorillas.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"I am glad that the child survived, of course, and having raised 2 children who didn't fall into an animal enclosure, then I also doubt the parental abilities of those who can not manage this....

When he was ten, our son fell into the goldfish pond trying to stop the football.

Luckily we didn't have to shoot anything though, so there was a silver lining..."

Come and sit on the unfit parent step with us, there's plenty of room since everyone else appears to be model parents

"I am glad that the child survived, of course, and having raised 2 children who didn't fall into an animal enclosure, then I also doubt the parental abilities of those who can not manage this....

Luckily we didn't have to shoot anything though, so there was a silver lining..."

They weren't in a barrel so not easy

By *ong legs n LingeireWoman  over a year ago

it up to me neck. :-)

This subject has been debated in many a forum .

At the end of the day the situation needed a quick decision .Rightly or wrongly they chose to shoot the gorilla, sad I know but decision was made

We COULD be posting on a thread that said

Why didn't we shoot the gorilla before he killed the kid.

No one to blame, just one of those incidents that happen.

Rant over!

Forum Mod

East Sussex

You're a tough crowd

Why isn't there a middle ground, without trying to make out everyone is as bad as parents who didn't watch their kid during a high risk situation? It's normal parenting to ensure they don't fall 12ft, and it's normal parenting to ensure they're safe from gorillas. "

I don't know the circumstances all I can speak from is my own experience and from comments on this I would imagine you would say it's normal parenting to ensure your son doesn't drink potentially toxic, abrasive bath cleaner.

You're a tough crowd

Why isn't there a middle ground, without trying to make out everyone is as bad as parents who didn't watch their kid during a high risk situation? It's normal parenting to ensure they don't fall 12ft, and it's normal parenting to ensure they're safe from gorillas. "

its a zoo not the jungle and the boy crawled under the fence since when did going to the zoo become a high risk situation

"This subject has been debated in many a forum .

At the end of the day the situation needed a quick decision .Rightly or wrongly they chose to shoot the gorilla, sad I know but decision was made

Rant over!"

Oi!

Don't be coming in here with all that sensible stuff.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I'm remembering all the accidents our kids had now

The gorilla is an endangered species....why didn't they shoot the kid for trespassig?

By *ong legs n LingeireWoman  over a year ago

it up to me neck. :-)

Rant over!

Oi!

Don't be coming in here with all that sensible stuff. "

Pardon me for being a bit peed off with folk trying to pass the blame. It's happened, shit does.

Very sad but it's just another sad chapter in life's story.

We don't actually know how he managed to fall in, so we really shouldn't be assuming or jumping to conclusions.

Again, I really don't agree with the shooting of the gorilla but then a child's life was at risk, and I'm certain it was a difficult choice for the zookeepers to make, especially when they've raised the gorilla for years.

What I would be thinking is...how was the kid able to fall in?

We concentrate on animals not being able to come out, but what about the other way round?

I don't agree with some of the zoos out there because of the way animals are kept, but understand the needs from a conservation pov.

Sigh.

Are you a parent?"

She doesn't need to be a parent to be entitled to such a fair opinion does she?

NO - SO THAT'S A POINTLESS QUESTION

Derbyshire

Luckily we didn't have to shoot anything though, so there was a silver lining...

Come and sit on the unfit parent step with us, there's plenty of room since everyone else appears to be model parents "

How does the quote from Buzz Luhrmann go:

"Whatever you do, don't congratulate yourself too much

Or berate yourself either

Your choices are half chance, so are everybody else's"

Except, with parenting, I think there's a lot more down to chance than 50/50.

You're a tough crowd

Why isn't there a middle ground, without trying to make out everyone is as bad as parents who didn't watch their kid during a high risk situation? It's normal parenting to ensure they don't fall 12ft, and it's normal parenting to ensure they're safe from gorillas.

I don't know the circumstances all I can speak from is my own experience and from comments on this I would imagine you would say it's normal parenting to ensure your son doesn't drink potentially toxic, abrasive bath cleaner."

Or be hit by a car

Snatched off the street

Stand underneath a falling piano

I have little peeps and believe me they can find the worst kindnof trouble. Im not saying the parents are blameless but its really impressive the kind of trouble they can find.

I have scars from an overly excitable swan

Forum Mod

East Sussex

Come and sit on the unfit parent step with us, there's plenty of room since everyone else appears to be model parents

Except, with parenting, I think there's a lot more down to chance than 50/50."

Agreed. I used to listen to some parents criticising other parents when all our kids were teenagers and think "you have no idea what's coming" then wait with a shoulder to cry on when they realised that no matter what they did their precious 12 year old turned in to a spitting, swearing, smoking, monosyllabic blob on the eve of their 13th birthday.

just think how the parents feel when their kids grew up and joined a swingers site

Derbyshire

" I would imagine you would say it's normal parenting to ensure your son doesn't drink potentially toxic, abrasive bath cleaner.

Or be hit by a car

Snatched off the street

I have little peeps and believe me they can find the worst kindnof trouble. Im not saying the parents are blameless but its really impressive the kind of trouble they can find.

I have scars from an overly excitable swan "

The chances of a mother, with other children, being distracted long enough for a 4 year old to climb into a gorilla enclosure must be a million to one.

But if the zoo has a million visitors a year....

Though I still think they could have distracted the gorilla with a drum kit and a bar of Dairy Milk.

" I would imagine you would say it's normal parenting to ensure your son doesn't drink potentially toxic, abrasive bath cleaner.

Or be hit by a car

Snatched off the street

The chances of a mother, with other children, being distracted long enough for a 4 year old to climb into a gorilla enclosure must be a million to one.

Though I still think they could have distracted the gorilla with a drum kit and a bar of Dairy Milk. "

I love that ad

Do you eat animals though? All the people crying about the gorilla yet you'd eat it if it was shoved into sausages or a burger.

"Do you eat animals though? All the people crying about the gorilla yet you'd eat it if it was shoved into sausages or a burger."

Nope.

"Do you eat animals though? All the people crying about the gorilla yet you'd eat it if it was shoved into sausages or a burger.

Nope. "

i would. yum yum.

Derbyshire

"Do you eat animals though? All the people crying about the gorilla yet you'd eat it if it was shoved into sausages or a burger."

Steady now, you'll make me come out with my "where does Tarzan cook his sausages?" joke again...

"Do you eat animals though? All the people crying about the gorilla yet you'd eat it if it was shoved into sausages or a burger.

Nope.

i would. yum yum. "

..you'd have a lot to get through.

Steady now, you'll make me come out with my "where does Tarzan cook his sausages?" joke again...

"

not heard it, you can tell it again if you want to.

Nope.

i would. yum yum.

..you'd have a lot to get through."

i've also got that gorilla coat thing in my head from the simpsons now. where mr burns is dancing around in one.

Derbyshire

Nope. "

Not even minced, seasoned, and sprinkled on a Meat Feast pizza?

(Knowing Iceland, that mince could be anything... )

Nope.

i would. yum yum. "

if god didnt want us to eat animals then why did he make them out of meat

Derbyshire

not heard it, you can tell it again if you want to."

You'll groan, guaranteed.

"Under the gorilla" (griller, gedditt?)

(Dad's have to learn these sort of jokes)

not heard it, you can tell it again if you want to.

You'll groan, guaranteed.

"Under the gorilla" (griller, gedditt?)

(Dad's have to learn these sort of jokes)"

haha, i love dad jokes actually. yeah that was well worth asking for, thanks.

Nope.

i would. yum yum.

i've also got that gorilla coat thing in my head from the simpsons now. where mr burns is dancing around in one. "

Love that show.

That the one where bart's dogs are dognapped by burns?

By *ay BrowerMan  over a year ago

Oldham

I've taken lots of children to lots of places of interest including zoos. So far I've had 1, 2,3,4 mmmm let me think???? NONE climb into an animal enclosure!!!

I don't blame the zoo staff for killing the gorilla but I do blame the parents for letting the kiddie manage to get into the enclosure as well as the zoo designer/architect for the child being able to do it

Getting the little cherubs through the bat enclosures can be a nightmare!!

Nope.

i would. yum yum.

i've also got that gorilla coat thing in my head from the simpsons now. where mr burns is dancing around in one.

Love that show.

"

yeah that's the one, i went off the simpsons once futurama came out but some of the early stuff is really funny.

Nope.

i would. yum yum.

Love that show.

yeah that's the one, i went off the simpsons once futurama came out but some of the early stuff is really funny."

I still watch the older ones even now if I'm flicking channels and i come across it.

Nope.

i would. yum yum.

Love that show.

yeah that's the one, i went off the simpsons once futurama came out but some of the early stuff is really funny.

I still watch the older ones even now if I'm flicking channels and i come across it."

i haven't watched or thought about them for years now. don't even see any memes of them on facebook for some reason and you'd think they'd still be popular?

You're a tough crowd

I've said it before and I'll say it again,,,there's no way the safety fence can have been adequate,,,,I know small children are into everything and it's impossible to watch them all the time,,,they move like lightning sometimes.But the zoo have to take a lot of the responsibility for keeping ALL their visitors safe.

Earlier today I was at a pub with a lake,the lake had fish,ducks and swans,no gorillas but it did have a fence with bars so narrowly spaced that no child could possibly squeeze through,,,,if we can protect children from ducks in this way,surely the zoo should have been able to protect children and their magnificent and valuable gorilla.

That's the middle ground,,,the parents were not necessarily bad parents,they took their eye off the child for a split second (they had more than one child in their care) but that child should not have been able to get through that fence so quickly.That is the zoos responsibility.

You're a tough crowd

I've said it before and I'll say it again,,,there's no way the safety fence can have been adequate,,,,I know small children are into everything and it's impossible to watch them all the time,,,they move like lightning sometimes.But the zoo have to take a lot of the responsibility for keeping ALL their visitors safe.

Earlier today I was at a pub with a lake,the lake had fish,ducks and swans,no gorillas but it did have a fence with bars so narrowly spaced that no child could possibly squeeze through,,,,if we can protect children from ducks in this way,surely the zoo should have been able to protect children and their magnificent and valuable gorilla.

That's the middle ground,,,the parents were not necessarily bad parents,they took their eye off the child for a split second (they had more than one child in their care) but that child should not have been able to get through that fence so quickly.That is the zoos responsibility. "

A split second would be enough time for a child to climb in and fall. I just wouldn't leave a child unattended in a public space in front of a gorilla enclosure. There's many situations where you increase vigilance, like at a bonfire or at the swimming pool. It is very basic level parenting.

Oldham

"

A split second would be enough time for a child to climb in and fall. I just wouldn't leave a child unattended in a public space in front of a gorilla enclosure. There's many situations where you increase vigilance, like at a bonfire or at the swimming pool. It is very basic level parenting. "

That's it in a nutshell

Certain situations mean parents/carers should do a lot more and they can't simply expect the "kids will be kids" excuse to clear them from blame

Are you a parent?

She doesn't need to be a parent to be entitled to such a fair opinion does she?

NO - SO THAT'S A POINTLESS QUESTION"

Hi, you OK

"A split second would be enough time for a child to climb in and fall. I just wouldn't leave a child unattended in a public space in front of a gorilla enclosure. There's many situations where you increase vigilance, like at a bonfire or at the swimming pool. It is very basic level parenting."

Sorry, I mean a split second wouldn't be enough time for a child to fall in. Clearly it was several seconds or longer of ignoring the child. Kids need supervision, they're mostly idiots.

"I've taken lots of children to lots of places of interest including zoos. So far I've had 1, 2,3,4 mmmm let me think???? NONE climb into an animal enclosure!!!

I don't blame the zoo staff for killing the gorilla but I do blame the parents for letting the kiddie manage to get into the enclosure as well as the zoo designer/architect for the child being able to do it

Getting the little cherubs through the bat enclosures can be a nightmare!! "

And how many families and kids do you think have gone through that zoo and looked at the gorilla enclosure over the last few years?

Loads. That's the whole point. Nobody could predict how one child could behave, just as nobody could predict how the gorilla was going to behave.

Derbyshire

[Removed by poster at 31/05/16 02:05:38]

Derbyshire

"

A split second would be enough time for a child to climb in and fall. I just wouldn't leave a child unattended in a public space in front of a gorilla enclosure. There's many situations where you increase vigilance, like at a bonfire or at the swimming pool. It is very basic level parenting.

That's it in a nutshell

Certain situations mean parents/carers should do a lot more and they can't simply expect the "kids will be kids" excuse to clear them from blame "

I guess you will always get some parents who think "there, but for the grace of God, go I", while others will pride themselves on being so much better parents than others.

"

That's it in a nutshell

Certain situations mean parents/carers should do a lot more and they can't simply expect the "kids will be kids" excuse to clear them from blame

I guess you will always get some parents who think "there, but for the grace if God, go I", while others will pride themselves on being so much better parents than others.

"

But that's mad and unacceptable parenting. The sole job of a parent is to raise and keep the kid alive until they can do it for themselves.

has anyone actually met or spoke to the monkey ? it could have been a bit of an arsehole for all we know

(Pizzalover walks into the room...looks around and sees that everyone is still arguing and walks right back out again)

Derbyshire

"

That's it in a nutshell

I guess you will always get some parents who think "there, but for the grace if God, go I", while others will pride themselves on being so much better parents than others.

But that's mad and unacceptable parenting. The sole job of a parent is to raise and keep the kid alive until they can do it for themselves. "

Which one is mad?

The 'Blimey, that could happen to me' group, or the 'pride before a fall' group?

Oldham

"

That's it in a nutshell

"

I lost a child once and for that split second when I thought I had lost her I felt awful!

It was literally a split second and she was actually right next to me but had somehow got behind me so out of site.

She is taller than me now and until she had a child recently would constantly take the piss out of my "look of fear" face she witnessed as a nipper

Please don't get me wrong, but I would jump into the enclosure if one of my kids fell in. I would do whatever to save them. I am not criticising anyone else.

"

That's it in a nutshell

But that's mad and unacceptable parenting. The sole job of a parent is to raise and keep the kid alive until they can do it for themselves.

Which one is mad?

The 'Blimey, that could happen to me' group, or the 'pride before a fall' group?"

You are a parent. You are not human. You are a robot. Your children will obey you. They have no free will. There will be no grey areas. You are a parent. You are not human. You are a robot. Your children will obey you.......

how do you know the gorilla didnt entice the wane in with a banana pst wee man c,mon down c.mon look what iv got

"

That's it in a nutshell

Which one is mad?

The 'Blimey, that could happen to me' group, or the 'pride before a fall' group?"

Ah I though there but for the grace of God means more on the lines that they believe they have no control in what happens, when clearly it was all very avoidable. That's the one that's mad.

"has anyone actually met or spoke to the monkey ? it could have been a bit of an arsehole for all we know "
Gorilla not monkey, have you seen Planet of the apes? They don't like being called monkey

"

That's it in a nutshell

Which one is mad?

The 'Blimey, that could happen to me' group, or the 'pride before a fall' group?

You are a parent. You are not human. You are a robot. Your children will obey you. They have no free will. There will be no grey areas. You are a parent. You are not human. You are a robot. Your children will obey you......."

If you can't stop your child from climbing into a gorilla's enclosure, you must be an awful parent. It's not about obeying, it's not about free will, it's quite simply about preventing them from serious danger and not being reckless.

"Please don't get me wrong, but I would jump into the enclosure if one of my kids fell in. I would do whatever to save them. I am not criticising anyone else. "

you might not though.

i've dealt with fits of people i don't know that well and handled them just fine, but when 2 of my kids had febrile fits and i just froze and panicked each time. you can't tell how you'll react until it happens.

[Removed by poster at 31/05/16 02:20:37]

By *aredenchMan  over a year ago

leeds

Why didn't they just tranquillise it tho??

Derbyshire

"Ah I though there but for the grace of God means more on the lines that they believe they have no control in what happens, when clearly it was all very avoidable. That's the one that's mad. "

I didn't think anyone has said accidents are unavoidable, nor that parents have no control over things, just that some of us are able, through mistakes we have made, to feel a level of empathy towards other parents, rather than judging them.

"Why didn't they just tranquillise it tho??"
take too long to kick in

By *gent005Man  over a year ago

Button F'ing Moon

Nope.

i would. yum yum.

if god didnt want us to eat animals then why did he make them out of meat "

What did God make humans out of?

"

That's it in a nutshell

Which one is mad?

You are a parent. You are not human. You are a robot. Your children will obey you. They have no free will. There will be no grey areas. You are a parent. You are not human. You are a robot. Your children will obey you.......

If you can't stop your child from climbing into a gorilla's enclosure, you must be an awful parent. It's not about obeying, it's not about free will, it's quite simply about preventing them from serious danger and not being reckless.

From your posts on the forums, you're not a very nice human being so I'm a bit surprised you expect parents to be perfect."

Yeh I'm awful for expecting parents to protect their child from death. No need to be bitchy (yet again), is there? It's a story about a gorilla, that's all.

takes too long and would make the gorilla more aggressive thats what the guy who shot it said ..... but yet to read one message post about how gorillas parenting skills are

Derbyshire

it's a big animal, so the tranquiliser takes time to take effect. In the meantime you've got an animal with a dart up it's bum, feeling a bit pissed about it.

Nope.

i would. yum yum.

What did God make humans out of?"

tasty flesh. hmmmm. bacon is people i reckon.

Oldham

[Removed by poster at 31/05/16 02:24:56]

Derbyshire

"... but yet to read one message post about how gorillas parenting skills are "

Read my first post, with the link about Jambo...

"Ah I though there but for the grace of God means more on the lines that they believe they have no control in what happens, when clearly it was all very avoidable. That's the one that's mad.

I didn't think anyone has said accidents are unavoidable, nor that parents have no control over things, just that some of us are able, through mistakes we have made, to feel a level of empathy towards other parents, rather than judging them."

Yes, accidents do happen, but I think not watching a child long enough for them to fall and almost die by being mauled by a huge animal is just much worse than an accident/mistake. Certain situations call for precautions such as keeping the child visible.

Nope.

i would. yum yum.

What did God make humans out of?"

jump in a pit at the zoo and find out theirs plenty that would eat us like a walk in mcdonalds and wont be on forums discussing it

Derbyshire

"Ah I though there but for the grace of God means more on the lines that they believe they have no control in what happens, when clearly it was all very avoidable. That's the one that's mad.

I didn't think anyone has said accidents are unavoidable, nor that parents have no control over things, just that some of us are able, through mistakes we have made, to feel a level of empathy towards other parents, rather than judging them.

Yes, accidents do happen, but I think not watching a child long enough for them to fall and almost die by being mauled by a huge animal is just much worse than an accident/mistake. Certain situations call for precautions such as keeping the child visible. "

True, but the reality is that accidents rarely happen for one, simple reason. Instead they require a number of random variables all to just happen to coincide at that one, exact moment.

And let's face it, kids are random!

By *gent005Man  over a year ago

Button F'ing Moon

Nope.

i would. yum yum.

tasty flesh. hmmmm. bacon is people i reckon."

I hope I don't offended you by saying lol..

Yes, accidents do happen, but I think not watching a child long enough for them to fall and almost die by being mauled by a huge animal is just much worse than an accident/mistake. Certain situations call for precautions such as keeping the child visible.

True, but the reality is that accidents rarely happen for one, simple reason. Instead they require a number of random variables all to just happen to coincide at that one, exact moment.

And let's face it, kids are random!

"

I just can't comprehend that a responsible parent would allow the situation to happen. If a child doesn't listen, I remove them from whatever is dangerous instead of just waiting for something to happen. I've never had a child in my care fall into a gorilla's enclosure yet, either. It's also bizarre to me that a child of 4 was ignored for long enough to fall into an animal's enclosure. I'd be worried for their 3 other children if that's how they "care" for them.

Nope.

i would. yum yum.

tasty flesh. hmmmm. bacon is people i reckon.

I hope I don't offended you by saying lol.."

i've watched soylent green, i'm sure bacon is people. silence of the lambs was supposed to entice us into wanting to eat and wear humans but it never took off.

Derbyshire

"I just can't comprehend that a responsible parent would allow the situation to happen. If a child doesn't listen, I remove them from whatever is dangerous instead of just waiting for something to happen. I've never had a child in my care fall into a gorilla's enclosure yet, either. It's also bizarre to me that a child of 4 was ignored for long enough to fall into an animal's enclosure. I'd be worried for their 3 other children if that's how they "care" for them. "

And that was the point made at the start: that those of us who have successfully brought children to adulthood can comprehend how things can go wrong very fast. Whereas you don't yet have the same experience, so can't really be expected to fully comprehend it.

"I just can't comprehend that a responsible parent would allow the situation to happen. If a child doesn't listen, I remove them from whatever is dangerous instead of just waiting for something to happen. I've never had a child in my care fall into a gorilla's enclosure yet, either. It's also bizarre to me that a child of 4 was ignored for long enough to fall into an animal's enclosure. I'd be worried for their 3 other children if that's how they "care" for them.

And that was the point made at the start: that those of us who have successfully brought children to adulthood can comprehend how things can go wrong very fast. Whereas you don't yet have the same experience, so can't really be expected to fully comprehend it.

"

It's not a question of experience though, I could never have children and I'll always know it's wrong to leave them unattended for an unspecified amount of time in a dangerous situation. Just becaus things can go wrong doesn't mean that this wasn't clearly irresponsible and avoidable. The kid almost died because the adult stopped looking out for them, that's SO bad.

Both make very good points but let me just put this out there.

Neither of us in here have experience being the prime minister, yet we all have opinions on how the country should be run..

Anyway, night folks. Peace and much needed love it seems x

Derbyshire

"I just can't comprehend that a responsible parent would allow the situation to happen. If a child doesn't listen, I remove them from whatever is dangerous instead of just waiting for something to happen. I've never had a child in my care fall into a gorilla's enclosure yet, either. It's also bizarre to me that a child of 4 was ignored for long enough to fall into an animal's enclosure. I'd be worried for their 3 other children if that's how they "care" for them.

It's not a question of experience though, I could never have children and I'll always know it's wrong to leave them unattended for an unspecified amount of time in a dangerous situation. Just becaus things can go wrong doesn't mean that this wasn't clearly irresponsible and avoidable. The kid almost died because the adult stopped looking out for them, that's SO bad. "

They weren't unattended, a zoo isn't 'generally' considered a dangerous situation and the kid didn't almost die.

It was a shame the gorilla was shot, but I trust the decision of the zoo-keepers because only they are *experienced* in dealing with that particular animal.

Experience is always important. It is the best way we learn, adapt and evolve.

iv took my kid to the zoo a few times and i dont care what anyone says i dont expect it to be possible in anyway for a 4 year old to enter into a dangerous animal pit i had gates on my stairs and caps on my sockets with health and safety these days they should have had a decent fence its not a ten year old climbing its a 4 year old crawling through a gap at the bottom

Oldham

Any public place with large gatherings of people is a high risk environment and as such the zoo falls into that category.

Add the animals and taking other things into consideration (excitement, unfamiliar environment, child's age, character, one parent/multiple children) make it very high risk.

The parent should have been on high alert.

It's holdy handy time for four year olds

Derbyshire

"Any public place with large gatherings of people is a high risk environment and as such the zoo falls into that category.

Add the animals and taking other things into consideration (excitement, unfamiliar environment, child's age, character, one parent/multiple children) make it very high risk.

It's holdy handy time for four year olds "

True, to a certain extent, but as someone who earlier admitted losing a child, why can't you extend the same leeway that you grant yourself?

Oldham

"Any public place with large gatherings of people is a high risk environment and as such the zoo falls into that category.

True, to a certain extent, but as someone who earlier admitted losing a child, why can't you extend the same leeway that you grant yourself?"

I would blame myself

But as stated previously the design of the enclosure needs a good coat of looking at.

I found the child I lost straight away and we was in a small shoe shop and not a zoo. I was in a totally different environment.

She still wanders off in shoe shops now much to her partners annoyance and expense!!

Derbyshire

True, to a certain extent, but as someone who earlier admitted losing a child, why can't you extend the same leeway that you grant yourself?

I would blame myself

But as stated previously the design of the enclosure needs a good coat of looking at.

I found the child I lost straight away and we was in a small shoe shop and not a zoo. I was in a totally different environment.

She still wanders off in shoe shops now much to her partners annoyance and expense!! "

More children are abducted from shops than zoos.

More children are abducted from shops than are killed by zoo animals.

Now which one is high risk?

By *orthseatiger69Man  over a year ago

Ayrshire /North lanarshire

Except, with parenting, I think there's a lot more down to chance than 50/50."

Great song and a few could do with following its advice

It's not a question of experience though, I could never have children and I'll always know it's wrong to leave them unattended for an unspecified amount of time in a dangerous situation. Just becaus things can go wrong doesn't mean that this wasn't clearly irresponsible and avoidable. The kid almost died because the adult stopped looking out for them, that's SO bad.

They weren't unattended, a zoo isn't 'generally' considered a dangerous situation and the kid didn't almost die.

It was a shame the gorilla was shot, but I trust the decision of the zoo-keepers because only they are *experienced* in dealing with that particular animal.

Experience is always important. It is the best way we learn, adapt and evolve.

"

I reckon not paying attention to a toddler climbing into an enclosure counts as unattended, similar to a parent passed out d*unk on a sofa. They may be there, but they're useless.

The kid outweighs the gorilla in importance, it definitely had to be shot to protect the child.

Some things are innate and don't have to be learned by experience. Knowing to keep an eye on a kid with a death wish is one of those things.

By *orthseatiger69Man  over a year ago

Ayrshire /North lanarshire

Having read most of the posts regarding the parenting skills or lack of concerning the unfortunate incisedent at the zoo in Cincinnati. My first thought was how in hell did the child manage that . IMO the zoo failed the gorilla for not keeping it safe from humans by erecting a sufficient barrier between him and the public and vice Versa not keeping the public safe.

Oldham

I would blame myself

She still wanders off in shoe shops now much to her partners annoyance and expense!!

More children are abducted from shops than zoos.

More children are abducted from shops than are killed by zoo animals.

Now which one is high risk?"

Again as stated previously as public places with large gatherings of people they are both high risk.

And again as previously stated for various reasons a zoo has different and added risks.

This topic is about a gorilla being killed because it could have hurt a child. Not a child being abducted.

I am not sure why you are trying to discredit my opinion.

But I've never heard of a gorilla killing a child in a shop either

Derbyshire

"

I reckon not paying attention to a toddler climbing into an enclosure counts as unattended, similar to a parent passed out d*unk on a sofa. They may be there, but they're useless.

The kid outweighs the gorilla in importance, it definitely had to be shot to protect the child.

Some things are innate and don't have to be learned by experience. Knowing to keep an eye on a kid with a death wish is one of those things. "

I reckon 'distracted' isn't quite the same as 'passed out and useless', and I can understand how a parent might think it would not be possible for a 4-yr old to enter a zoo enclosure, therby dismissing this as a significant risk for the seconds they were dealing with the other children.

But I guess it's just a matter of opinion, so perhaps we should leave it there.

think the lesson we can all learn from this is monkeys are not as intelligent as we make them out to be

Derbyshire

"

Again as stated previously as public places with large gatherings of people they are both high risk.

And again as previously stated for various reasons a zoo has different and added risks.

This topic is about a gorilla being killed because it could have hurt a child. Not a child being abducted.

But I've never heard of a gorilla killing a child in a shop either "

I'm not discrediting your opinion, just pointing out the disparity in how you judge your own experiences and how you judge others.

I must admit, on none of the occasions we took our children to the zoo did I ever once consider the animals to be a major risk factor. Whereas in a busy shop, I never let them out of my sight for a second.

You see, different opinions, different interpretations of risk.

"has anyone actually met or spoke to the monkey ? it could have been a bit of an arsehole for all we know "

There's plenty of arseholes in here and in life in general.

Does that mean we should shoot them too ?

Is it harsh to say shoot the child

Next time

Reason1 what did the gorilla do wrong it is soley the. Victim

Reason 2 the gorilla is the animal at risk of extinction The human race is doing ok

Reason 3 i dont agree with zoos but there mission (or excuse) is conservation of endangered species

Reason 4 i prefer gorillas to people

"has anyone actually met or spoke to the monkey ? it could have been a bit of an arsehole for all we know

There's plenty of arseholes in here and in life in general.

Does that mean we should shoot them too ? "

mmmmmm tough one

Oldham

"

But I've never heard of a gorilla killing a child in a shop either

I'm not discrediting your opinion, just pointing out the disparity in how you judge your own experiences and how you judge others.

"

I've already said I would blame myself

Sleep now for me.

I'm in charge of 60+ kids tomorrow in a much lower risk environment. I will have cuts, bumps and bruises but thankfully no wild animals

[Removed by poster at 31/05/16 03:51:12]

"Is it harsh to say shoot the child

Next time

Reason1 what did the gorilla do wrong it is soley the. Victim

Reason 2 the gorilla is the animal at risk of extinction The human race is doing ok

Reason 3 i dont agree with zoos but there mission (or excuse) is conservation of endangered species

Reason 4 i prefer gorillas to people"

Agreed apart from shoot the child part .

"think the lesson we can all learn from this is monkeys are not as intelligent as we make them out to be "

Dump a monkey and a human 2 hundred miles into jungle, bet the monkey has more chance of survival than the human

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

Yes, accidents do happen, but I think not watching a child long enough for them to fall and almost die by being mauled by a huge animal is just much worse than an accident/mistake. Certain situations call for precautions such as keeping the child visible. "

He didn't almost die but he was in a life threatening situation.....he spent one night in hospital, he was fine. He might not like Gorillas for a while though.

There is some blame to lie at the parents feet but, although I am not a parent I have worked with and looked after enough children of all ages to know that they do sometimes get away from you. We have no idea how that child got in there, what the parents reactions were when they realised their child was crawling into the enclosure. Also, hundreds of other people around and not one of them saw the child? Pretty poor social responsibility there too.

He didn't almost die but he was in a life threatening situation.....he spent one night in hospital, he was fine. He might not like Gorillas for a while though.

There is some blame to lie at the parents feet but, although I am not a parent I have worked with and looked after enough children of all ages to know that they do sometimes get away from you. We have no idea how that child got in there, what the parents reactions were when they realised their child was crawling into the enclosure. Also, hundreds of other people around and not one of them saw the child? Pretty poor social responsibility there too.

"

By *etter the devil you knowWoman  over a year ago

Lyndhurst

Not many parents let their kids fall into a gorilla's enclosure. That's a bit worse than being less than perfect. It's pretty shit parenting. "

By *ittle_brat_evie!!Woman  over a year ago

evesham

"Having read most of the posts regarding the parenting skills or lack of concerning the unfortunate incisedent at the zoo in Cincinnati. My first thought was how in hell did the child manage that . IMO the zoo failed the gorilla for not keeping it safe from humans by erecting a sufficient barrier between him and the public and vice Versa not keeping the public safe. "

This I agree with although it did seem to work for 38 years which is how long the enclosure has been open for.

Perhaps a breach had not been noticed during the pre opening checks etc but it will be the zoo who will take the brunt of the blame.

Much like the Astown towers crash. That was down to human error but as the overall responsibility for health and safety lies with the manager of the company no one else was fined or charged in regards to the breaches of the health and safety at work act. Whether they have similar in the US I don't know but I'd imagine so.

As I said on the other thread, shit happens, but if we are going to blame the parents, why not widen the field to everyone else who had time to film the incident, but couldn't stop a child climbing where it was clearly dangerous?

I suspect if the species were reversed then the nearest Gorrilla would have stopped one of the groups young from getting into actual danger.

Lyndhurst

"

That's it in a nutshell

Certain situations mean parents/carers should do a lot more and they can't simply expect the "kids will be kids" excuse to clear them from blame "

Rant over!"

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

some interesting reading here about the incident

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/astonishing-new-footage-shows-gorilla-8082168

still heartbreaking to see such a beautiful creature die

Lyndhurst

I said it before there are too many stupid people having kids when they really shouldn't be.

"I said it before there are too many stupid people having kids when they really shouldn't be. "

Your a brave woman Ms Baker

I'm a far worse parent. I took my son to watch Newcastle United most of last season

"I'm a far worse parent. I took my son to watch Newcastle United most of last season "

(Shakes head in disgust)

"

That's it in a nutshell

But that's mad and unacceptable parenting. The sole job of a parent is to raise and keep the kid alive until they can do it for themselves. "

Whilst trying to keep the children alive until adulthood,you do realise that parenting involves a lot of "on the job" type learning? No one is ever fully qualified, there's no master degree to be obtained before popping a sprog out.

Sadly some get it completely wrong, accidents happen & the whole world of social media judges you.

Cows, sheep ,lambs , 35 day old chickens etc etc,,,, all die premature deaths in order to satisfy human requirement ....

So to single out any species as somehow having greater right to life than those we choose to slaughter for food just seems an uncomfortable logic ...

Yes its all very sad that yet another endangered animal died,,,, but in reality its an endangered species because of the merciless requirements of Human activity....

Please some kids are a fucking nightmare! But we all know better and must judge and tell them they are shit. Cause we know them better and their kids better.

Big congrats to everyone who has kids who always listen and do exactly what they say. Also those who never look away for a second and something doesnt happen.

Rip to the gorilla very sad but as i wasnt there i shall reserve judgement.

Out of interest its the parents job to stop this happening yeah but were they the only people there?

[Removed by poster at 31/05/16 08:49:18]

"Please some kids are a fucking nightmare! But we all know better and must judge and tell them they are shit. Cause we know them better and their kids better.

Big congrats to everyone who has kids who always listen and do exactly what they say. Also those who never look away for a second and something doesnt happen.

Out of interest its the parents job to stop this happening yeah but were they the only people there?"

Exactly. Did everyone just stand and stare while the kid made his way in?

"Please some kids are a fucking nightmare! But we all know better and must judge and tell them they are shit. Cause we know them better and their kids better.

Out of interest its the parents job to stop this happening yeah but were they the only people there?

Exactly. Did everyone just stand and stare while the kid made his way in?"

No of course not, they got their cameras rolling to be the first one to post it on social media

No of course not, they got their cameras rolling to be the first one to post it on social media "

No of course not, they got their cameras rolling to be the first one to post it on social media "

Exactly this ^^

It's okay though they're allowed to do that as they're not the parents, no judgement passed either......

Lyndhurst

In the Daily mail today, the boys father, father of four has got a lengthy criminal history including drug trafficking and kidnap.

It's sad that this Gorilla had to get put down.I think the screaming agitated the gorilla before the screaming he was comforting the child but the way he was dragging the child is how they drag their own young.Sadly the child was getting bashed about and this could of been alot worse so as much as this story is a sad one maybe they did the right thing.Sedating the gorilla would take a while to kick in so they wanted to act quickly and save the child from harm.I don't think it's fair we should blame the parents because it is so easy to turn away for one second and toddlers are so quick,the mother must feel bad enough to be honest.All we can do is learn from these mistakes,the zoo should make the grounds safer so something like this cannot happen again and parents also have a duty to be vigilant with their children and maybe use prams.Overall a tragic event,,,lessons have been learnt hopefully for the future...R.I.P Harame X

By *ornycouplemgCouple  over a year ago

Northumberland

exactly

The demand for trophies and resources which are systematically stripped from the natural habitat of these creatures is only created by the species better known as the despicable human race ,,,,,,

If it weren't for humanities greed, these once abundant creatures wouldn't be endangered and the all the bleating heart morally outraged humans wouldn't be mourning the death of this one animal ......

Nope they would be too busy stuffing their faces with pulled-pork burgers.....

Chances are that gorilla wouldn't have killed the child, if he'd wanted to do that I'm guessing the ten minutes he was in there would have been plenty of time... Could I take that chance, yeah sure, that child means no more to me than the gorilla, of course the zoo couldn't take the chance because having a great big gorilla drown a kid on tv is bad for publicity and those fat parents with their fat kids would waddle off to some other shit form of entertainment and take their fat bucks with them.

I managed to raise two kids without incident, sure I couldn't mitigate the freak chance of bad shit happening completely but then i missed everything I ever went to with them because I was too busy watching and running after them rather than taking pictures of entertaining gorillas... The world is full of parents who just turned their back for a minute ,sure lucks a bad thing when it's against you but then so is not thinking before you turned your back.... Hey you know I reckon my four year old could climb over that fucking wall, so I'll keep a close eye on him while fucking stood there... It's not rocket science, it just requires you to think a little bit... Failing that if you love the little blighter so much, jump in and wrestle the fucking gorilla.... Yeah no thought not

Forum Mod

East Sussex

I didn't think anyone has said accidents are unavoidable, nor that parents have no control over things, just that some of us are able, through mistakes we have made, to feel a level of empathy towards other parents, rather than judging them."

That's about the size of it.

"

Is it? they took the child for a day out as a family, many oher kids got left home alone in the same city the day, even more were watching telly while the parents payed no attention to them.

These parents chose to spend a day with their child, unfortunately he got away probably through a forrest of legs belonging to others who didn't see it as their business to stop him running off or climbing onto a wall which probably had signs on it saying don't climb.

Neglectful parents?

A few years ago myself and my (ex) wife went to Filey/Scarborough on holiday with my sister and her hubby, both of us with children in buggies. We where waiting to cross a road at a pedestrian crossing in Filey with a poor view in both directions and not being familiar with the road layout.

We all crossed after a couple of minutes to find to our horror that my son was no longer in his buggy. The harness that had retained him previously lying loose in the buggy. After a panicky minute or so a local butcher shouted, "Is he yours?" It turned out he had watched the whole thing, the boy had crossed carefully as we assesed the danger of crossing ourself. To this day we have no idea how he got out and crossed a busy road in front of four responsible adults. Neglect - I don't think so.

Gorillas....

So, I am as against any cruelty to animals and people as much as anyone I know. I will not kill a fly or spider ever. Having seen the longer footage on some tv reports, the gorilla dragged the child along like a rag doll about twenty feet and was heading for cover. This meant there would be no guarantee of a clear shot later. Tranquilisers could have allowed the beast to fall on the child and take upto thirty seconds to work. If it had been my child I would have pulled the trigger myself and dealt with the consequences later. It is so easy to criticise from behing a TV screen or newspaper.

Outrage!

What if the child had been killed? "Why didn't they act sooner?". Put yourself in each persons point of view and deliberate instead of judging. [Edward de Bono - six hats]. Would you risk your childs life? I do not think so.

Forum Mod

East Sussex

"

That's it in a nutshell

Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, no matter what you do you can't fulfil your sole job as a parent. Most parents would step in front of a speeding train in an instant for their children, they "know" their sole job is to keep that kid alive it's imprinted on every cell of their body.

Out of interest its the parents job to stop this happening yeah but were they the only people there?"

kids are a nightmare lol, I could only watch my nephew for like 20 mins, he tries to put literally everything in his mouth

I don't see how they could've responded differently. Yes, the gorilla was acting in a compassionate caring way but it is still a gorilla with an immense amount of power.

How long would of the child been safe? 2 minutes - 5 minutes maybe several hours but it was all a gamble.

If it's the life of a child or an animal, I'll choose the child every time.

Yes, it's a shame because the gorilla seemed to be acting caring but I think it was the best course of action.

I also don't believe in equating animals lives to humans.

Out of interest its the parents job to stop this happening yeah but were they the only people there? kids are a nightmare lol, I could only watch my nephew for like 20 mins, he tries to put literally everything in his mouth "

Yeah sounds like my niece!

By *iss_tressWoman  over a year ago

London

Today some of the papers are calling the parents the most hated on the planet, they've dug up dirt on the parents, all unnecessary.

Sarah Payne, James Bulger, Adam Walsh to name a few. Children who were killed when their parents "took their eyes off the ball".

Yet these two people are being vilified because an animal was killed.

I've stood beside a grave, watched as my son's coffin was covered in dirt. It made me uber vigilant yo the point of smothering my other children yet there were times anything could happen.

I recall an incident where my husband, three daughters and I were in the garden playing. Our next door neighbour came into her garden with some sweets and handed them to the girls. I then went inside to do the ironing.

Ten minutes later my husband came and asked where our youngest was. I looked at him and said foolishly, isn't she with you?

We then went searching for her. She was nowhere in the house. The door was closed she couldn't reach the lock anyway, so we searched again with rising panic.

I opened the front door just in time to see my neighbour walking up the path with my daughter wearing her dad's slippers, a nappy and not much else. Apparently, after eating her sweets she wanted more and went next door for them. We had no idea she could reach the lock! I can't describe the fear we felt...The outcome could have been so different.

For all the perfect parents out there, I salute you!

You're a tough crowd

That's the middle ground,,,the parents were not necessarily bad parents,they took their eye off the child for a split second (they had more than one child in their care) but that child should not have been able to get through that fence so quickly.That is the zoos responsibility.

A split second would be enough time for a child to climb in and fall. I just wouldn't leave a child unattended in a public space in front of a gorilla enclosure. There's many situations where you increase vigilance, like at a bonfire or at the swimming pool. It is very basic level parenting. "

My point exactly,,if a child can get through a fence in a split second,then the fence is not doing a very good job.

What gorilla? What kid? Have i missed simething

"What gorilla? What kid? Have i missed simething"

Bloody hell I live in a bubble but even I've heard about this

By *its_n_piecesCouple  over a year ago

Or be hit by a car

Snatched off the street

Though I still think they could have distracted the gorilla with a drum kit and a bar of Dairy Milk.

I love that ad "

that didn't end well .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FVAFpu3nHM

Obviously they'd have to get the human being out of harms way but does it say anywhere why they couldn't have just shot it with a fuck tonne of tranquilizers instead of actual billets? Thought all zoo's are supposed to have people on standby with tranquilizers? Was it more than one person firing at the gorilla cos it would've taken more than one bullet to drop it, multiple shots from one person would have the same disarming reaction time to having multiple shots with a tranquilizer. I don't know, don't like gorillas being harmed, reminds me of when I watched gorillas in the mist when I was a child.

By *B9 QueenWoman  over a year ago

Over the rainbow, under the bridge

For those who blame the parents Adam Hill had something interesting to say on fb:

"Before we all start saying that the American woman whose four year old son fell into a Gorilla cage should be charged, mocked, shamed, and abused – let’s take a moment to consider a few things.

Firstly – do you know how hard it is to control a four year old? According to some reports, the kid climbed over a safety fence, while some onlookers tried to stop him. Was the mother in charge of other kids as well? If so, do you have any idea how quickly a child can escape your attention?

Bam! It happens. You look away for a split second and your toddler is suddenly walking out the front door, playing with an electrical cord, or trying to get into the pool.

Kids love climbing into the pool. That’s why we have laws in Australia that make sure every pool has a child-proof barrier. And if a child is able to breach that barrier, you get fined. A lot. And they conduct regular checks to make sure children can’t breach the barrier. Because they know that even the most diligent parent can’t possibly keep an eye on their children at absolutely every moment.

I take my two-year old to the Zoo all the time. You know what she says whenever we see an animal she likes? “I want to go in there”. Whenever she sees the gorillas she says “I want to cuddle them”.

So I let her walk up to the window, or to the fence that surrounds the monkeys, or to the cage that houses the lions, because I know there’s no way in hell she can get in.

The last time I took her to the Zoo we were looking at the lions. She was sitting in a jeep that jutted up against the window. I took a photo that made it look like she was driving towards a lion.

My mum was with us, and pointed out one of the younger lions on the far side of the cage. As I turned to look at the cubs, my daughter decided to get out of the jeep on her own, tripped and cut her lip open on the ground. I had looked away for a split second, and in that moment my daughter had split her lip.

I was angry at my mum for distracting me, but in truth, shit like this happens when you’ve got a kid sometimes. Accidents happen. Does that make me a bad parent? It felt like it at the time, but the only way I could have avoided the incident was to be watching my daughter at every conceivable second – and that just isn’t possible.

Now, imagine if instead of being in a jeep, she was standing at a fence. Imagine if instead of trying to dismount the jeep, she decided to cuddle a lion. And imagine if there was a way that she could actually have breached the fence. Shit would have got real, very quickly. An accident would have happened.

According to one report, the child at the Cincinnati Zoo scaled a three-foot fence. Three feet? That’s a metre. The fence around my swimming pool is higher than that, and has been checked to make sure it can’t be climbed by a child. I can’t even have pot plants near the fence in case they can be used as a climbing aid. Are you telling me my swimming pool is more secure than the gorilla enclosure at a metropolitan zoo?

You can’t keep an eye on your child at absolutely every moment of the day. Sometimes you can’t react quickly enough even when you are watching them. Sometimes a stranger will step in, sometimes you get lucky, but sometimes an accident happens, and through it all, you just hope that there are safety procedures in place to stop shit going wrong.

So before we all start rounding on that “careless parent” who “let their child walk into a gorilla enclosure” and then said “accidents happen”, let’s remember a few things.

1) The best parents in the world can lose sight of their children for a split second.

2) Four year olds are quick, elusive, and clever.

3) Sometimes, accidents happen.

Which is why

4) A gorilla enclosure at a public zoo should be secure enough that a four year old can’t get into it."

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

Couldn't someone have blown up a brown paper bag then popped it thus fooling the gorilla into thinking it had been shot?, or used that Eric Morecombe paper bag/invisible bouncing ball trick to distract the gorilla?, probably something to do with the carrier bag tax or summit

"What gorilla? What kid? Have i missed simething

Bloody hell I live in a bubble but even I've heard about this "

Not seen tv or read papers this weekend due to fact of drinking real ale

I think there has been faults on all sides. Maybe the parents are shit parents. Maybe they took thier eye off the ball for a moment. There was a hole in the netting "apparently" that lead to the child crawling thro. That whole shouldn't of been there. Also I wander why the zoo didn't tranquilize the animal instead of killing him.

Lots of ifs n why's.

Most importantly is that the child is safe. Xxx

"I think there has been faults on all sides. Maybe the parents are shit parents. Maybe they took thier eye off the ball for a moment. There was a hole in the netting "apparently" that lead to the child crawling thro. That whole shouldn't of been there. Also I wander why the zoo didn't tranquilize the animal instead of killing him.

Lots of ifs n why's.

Most importantly is that the child is safe. Xxx"

Tranquilising the animal could have been more dangerous for the child. Unlike what you see in the movies it is not instantaneous. It takes a while and more than one shot could be needed. When being shot by a dart the animal feels an instant pain, however, which can cause it to panic. This is when it is most dangerous. So doing that to a gorilla holding a four year old child would redefine the word 'stupidity '.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

If Gorilla tasted nice there wouldn't be a shitstorm over this, other cute endangered species are slaughtered less humanely day in and day out to satisfy some of our own species bizarre beliefs and desires..

'If' is a massive word in this..

"If Gorilla tasted nice there wouldn't be a shitstorm over this, other cute endangered species are slaughtered less humanely day in and day out to satisfy some of our own species bizarre beliefs and desires..

'If' is a massive word in this.. "

And lots of not so cute animals are endangered.

By *ouple in LancashireCouple  over a year ago

in Lancashire

"If Gorilla tasted nice there wouldn't be a shitstorm over this, other cute endangered species are slaughtered less humanely day in and day out to satisfy some of our own species bizarre beliefs and desires..

'If' is a massive word in this..

And lots of not so cute animals are endangered. "

agreed..

As has been highlighted earlier on in this thread, footage has emerged of the gorilla and child after he had taken the child out of the water. What can be seen is the child seemingly impassive and the gorilla sat behind him in what appears to be a protective stance.

My view is that the gorilla has sensed the child in danger when he fell into the water, his instinct to protect young took over and he removed the child from the water. The gorilla in a way become a protector. Of course I can't say that the child was no longer in danger, he probably was in critical danger from being mutilated by the gorilla but in my humble opinion there was no need to shoot the gorilla dead. He was sat still so there was an opportunity to shoot him with more than one tranquiliser dart and then remove the child. As some have already said, the tranquilisers would take several minutes to work but at the same time would the gorilla have been so incensed that he would try to mutilate the child? I doubt it.

I hope that the zoo takes pictures of the dead gorilla and send them to the parents of the child with the caption "Your actions led to the death of this beautiful and endangered animal. Consider carefully your future parenting skills."

By *essiCouple  over a year ago

suffolk

Wrong on all levels.....

Gorillas shouldn't be enclosed in zoos

Humans should see wild animals in there natural habitats

'If' is a massive word in this.. "

What shit storm, some stupid parents managed to let their kid fall into a gorilla compound, so they shot the gorilla to make sure some other stupid parents would come next week without having to worry about looking after their own offspring... Big deal.

600 gorillas

1.7 billon human children.

In the grand scheme of things, it's obvious which one needs a cull

"I think there has been faults on all sides. Maybe the parents are shit parents. Maybe they took thier eye off the ball for a moment. There was a hole in the netting "apparently" that lead to the child crawling thro. That whole shouldn't of been there. Also I wander why the zoo didn't tranquilize the animal instead of killing him.

Lots of ifs n why's.

Most importantly is that the child is safe. Xxx

Tranquilising the animal could have been more dangerous for the child. Unlike what you see in the movies it is not instantaneous. It takes a while and more than one shot could be needed. When being shot by a dart the animal feels an instant pain, however, which can cause it to panic. This is when it is most dangerous. So doing that to a gorilla holding a four year old child would redefine the word 'stupidity '."

Fair enogh. Xxx

"Wrong on all levels.....

Gorillas shouldn't be enclosed in zoos

Humans should see wild animals in there natural habitats"

I agree with you but the gorillas are endangered because of the illegal hunting of them by poachers. This means that the gorillas are unable to sustain their population in the wild enough to ensure survival of the species. Therefore captive breeding is one answer and a zoo is able to raise funding for such a programme through displaying gorillas in captivity. Captive bred gorillas are selected and then taken to the wild areas where they should be living, and gradually introduced to the wild then released in the hope that they aren't killed by poachers and reduce the breeding numbers.

So the wheel goes around.

By *ty31Man  over a year ago

NW London

Gotta feel sorry for the gorilla, what a magnificent animal. Such a shame. I read somewhere that they smell a bit like balsamic vinegar??

They're actually really gentle. There was a kid who fell into the enclosure at a UK zoo (may have been Jersey?) and the big silver back went and stood over him to protect him and keep the other gorillas away until the keepers got him out.

By *urvymamaWoman  over a year ago

Doncaster

I'm not saying the parents are blameless but kids are as unpredictable and animals and they both seem to be drawn to each other like moths to a flame.

I've got three kids all of toddling age, I was once at the park on my own with them, they all fled in different directions, got distracted by one nearly throwing herself in the duck pond, caught her in time, then the other got curious of a few geese, and I had to dive to the rescue of her, so I took a violent thrashing from a goose myself.

Shit really does happen, even more so when you have kids, even the best of parents have moments where they take your eye off the ball for a second (especially when you have more than one child vying for your attention) and a crisis happens. Any decent parent will first deal with said crisis, then feel dreadfully guilty as if they are the worst parent in the world! Then hopefully you learn from it, it's the parents that don't learn from these mistakes I'd take issues with

'If' is a massive word in this.. .

What shit storm, some stupid parents managed to let their kid fall into a gorilla compound, so they shot the gorilla to make sure some other stupid parents would come next week without having to worry about looking after their own offspring... Big deal.

600 gorillas

"

So your logical conclusion is that children need to be culled?

Nice one Einstein.. any more great ideas?

600 gorillas

So your logical conclusion is that children need to be culled?

Nice one Einstein.. any more great ideas?"

Hahaha.

By *lactontogMan  over a year ago

Clacton on Sea

It was bad for the animal to be shot but just blaming the parents is a cop out by animal lovers, how did a young child even get in there.

If i was the parents i would sue the bollocks off the zoo for their poor inadequate safety measures.

The zoo is totally to blame for the incident and i hope they are closed down until they improve things.

600 gorillas

"

in a wierd way i kind of agree

My head says

When there are only 620 mountain gorillas left every single one counts and loosing just one is a disaster

There are billions of humans loosing one will make zero difference at all to the servival of our species

But my heart says

Thats a four year old child, we are supposed to protect our young, i couldn't sit and watch a child die

So even though that one gorilla was more important to the gorilla population that a child is to the human population, natural instincts make you protect a child

By *oncupiscentTonyMan  over a year ago

Kent

" There was a kid who fell into the enclosure at a UK zoo (may have been Jersey?) and the big silver back went and stood over him to protect him and keep the other gorillas away until the keepers got him out."

A white boy falls into a gorilla's enclosure in jersey zoo and the gorilla looks after the boy, a black kid falls into a gorilla's enclosure in an American zoo and gets flung around like a rag doll...the only conclusion we can make is that gorillas are racist

600 gorillas

in a wierd way i kind of agree

My head says

When there are only 620 mountain gorillas left every single one counts and loosing just one is a disaster

There are billions of humans loosing one will make zero difference at all to the servival of our species

But my heart says

Thats a four year old child, we are supposed to protect our young, i couldn't sit and watch a child die

So even though that one gorilla was more important to the gorilla population that a child is to the human population, natural instincts make you protect a child "

"It was bad for the animal to be shot but just blaming the parents is a cop out by animal lovers, how did a young child even get in there.

If i was the parents i would sue the bollocks off the zoo for their poor inadequate safety measures.

The zoo is totally to blame for the incident and i hope they are closed down until they improve things."

its not a cop out, its a combination of the two, of course the zoo should have had better security but the parents should have also been watching the child

I remember years ago when my kids were small i was standing at a bus stop and a bus pulled up as i was in my bag looking for a drink for the kids, when i went to hand them a drink i was one child missing, turns out she had gotten on the bus thinking it was ours, i had to call the police to get them to find the bus and bring her back

whos faults that?

the drivers for letting her on alone or mine for taking my eyes off her to get a drink?

you cant sue people for your inadequaacies, you have to take responsabilities for your own actions and both parties were at fault

"It was bad for the animal to be shot but just blaming the parents is a cop out by animal lovers, how did a young child even get in there.

The zoo is totally to blame for the incident and i hope they are closed down until they improve things.

its not a cop out, its a combination of the two, of course the zoo should have had better security but the parents should have also been watching the child

I remember years ago when my kids were small i was standing at a bus stop and a bus pulled up as i was in my bag looking for a drink for the kids, when i went to hand them a drink i was one child missing, turns out she had gotten on the bus thinking it was ours, i had to call the police to get them to find the bus and bring her back

whos faults that?

the drivers for letting her on alone or mine for taking my eyes off her to get a drink?

you cant sue people for your inadequaacies, you have to take responsabilities for your own actions and both parties were at fault"

but if the bus driver tossed your child about the bus they would probably have shot him too

It's a busy zoo with loads of pple about. They left to wonder about without supervision! Let's instead of falling into the enclosure, he had been kidnapped!

Wld it be the zoo's fault for not providing security to its visitors or the parents fault 4 not paying closer attention to a 4yr old in a busy environment?

By *uyfromchiMan  over a year ago

CHICHESTER

Mans inhumanity to man we destroy everything

Lyndhurst

"It's a busy zoo with loads of pple about. They left to wonder about without supervision! Let's instead of falling into the enclosure, he had been kidnapped!

Wld it be the zoo's fault for not providing security to its visitors or the parents fault 4 not paying closer attention to a 4yr old in a busy environment? "

Exactly it was the parents fault and no one elses. Like a lot of people these days its easier to blame someone else.